Suggestion: Trickster baseline

in Thief

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

I think this simple change could help a lot for Thief build diversity and improve thief performance.

in Thief

Posted by: xXBurningEmberXx.6085

xXBurningEmberXx.6085

Erm… what is it? Please don’t just throw a random idea out without explaining it…

in Thief

Phil.8901

It’s not a random idea, it’s an idea suggested in the balance list document too ( https://goo.gl/rkGbMM )

BTW trickster is a master trickery trait

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trickster

Now is in competion with another (mandatoty) trait – Bountiful Theft – who goes incredibly well with the GM trait Sleight of Hand

With trickster baseline thief could have an alternative for a condi removal and to not be obligated to go for SA, for a nerfed SE.

This change could open to othe trick builds, not really used on thieves, with the dominance of Deception utility

If you think Anet gave to Mesmer a Master trait Bouncing attack and (most of all) Illusionary persona (an old GM trait where people spended 30 pts to got this) it doesn’t sound so crazy…

(edited by Phil.8901)

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

I concur. Could replace it with ricochet. Or move flanking strikes up to master and make an adept trait granting stealth on pistol interrupt with an icd to support p/p hybrid and p/p zerk. Combo with pressure striking for hybrid, interrupt for torment and stealth then sneak attack for bleed.

in Thief

Phil.8901

Another thing.

Anet is introducing Anti stealth mechanic in the game.

We have already reveal skills on ranger (taunt and sick’em) and engi (lock on and Analyze).

Other anti stealth (basically anti shadow refuge) skills will come:

Guardian trap – https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Light's_Judgement
Revenant Unyielding Anguish (it’s displace skill) – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unyielding_Anguish

So giving to thief more build diversity could be an alternative to not use SR (and for example replace it a with a Roll of initiative).

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

Pro tip: switch SR for blinding powder if you run D/P. SR takes 3s and puts a big attack here circle around you. Also if you’re capping in spvp and have to wait for stealth to wear off, that’s wasted time. Blinding powder has custom stealth time on lower CD with near instant activation.

5+BP+2=10s stealth

5+BP=7s

BP=4s

Just make sure you don’t hit anyone with HS if you use the full combo as it will reveal you, unlike using the 5 2 combo by itself.

in Thief

Posted by: Arricson Krei.9560

Arricson Krei.9560

I concur. Could replace it with ricochet. Or move flanking strikes up to master and make an adept trait granting stealth on pistol interrupt with an icd to support p/p hybrid and p/p zerk. Combo with pressure striking for hybrid, interrupt for torment and stealth then sneak attack for bleed.

Stealth on pistol interrupt would make d/p even more dominant, let alone giving one skill a ton of utility.

If I could design a trait that would replace Trickster, I’d say…
“Pistol shots have a chance to bounce to an additional target. Pistol range is increased. Gain charges when inflicting a condition. At 10 (or however many) charges, your next attack against an immobilized target will stealth you.”

Lol, it seems really gimmicked towards p/p, but that’s the point. It still can work with other non-pistol mainhand builds if Panic Strike is taken, or with teammates if they have an immob in hand.

in Thief

Posted by: lollasaurus.1457

lollasaurus.1457

Making bountiful base line makes a lot more sense.. you know given the Steal mechanic, maybe throw in something else in that spot to compete with trickster

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

Stealth on pistol interrupt would make d/p even more dominant, let alone giving one skill a ton of utility.

If I could design a trait that would replace Trickster, I’d say…
“Pistol shots have a chance to bounce to an additional target. Pistol range is increased. Gain charges when inflicting a condition. At 10 (or however many) charges, your next attack against an immobilized target will stealth you.”

Lol, it seems really gimmicked towards p/p, but that’s the point. It still can work with other non-pistol mainhand builds if Panic Strike is taken, or with teammates if they have an immob in hand.

I agree about needing to avoid giving D/P more power, so just make it conditional on wielding two pistols. Problem solved. Your idea could work, but it does seem a bit convoluted. Need to get off a bunch of auto attacks followed by 2 followed by another attack. I think it’s cleaner to make it easy access but require good timing (only occurs on a successful interrupt) with an icd of maybe 5 seconds.

Alternatively, let anyone with off hand pistol use it, but make the stealth really short like 1 or 2 seconds. Then it isn’t very useful to D/P since you have no time to reposition for backstab or use it to hide, but P/P can use it for a quick sneak attack (S/P may also be tempted to take it).

in Thief

Posted by: Medicarejunkie.6032

Medicarejunkie.6032

Trickster can give thieves a ridiculous amount of quickness. That is a ton of damage to just give baseline. I say add bountiful theft to the kleptomaniac minor, so you still have to invest into trickery to get it.

in Thief

Posted by: Decus.8602

Decus.8602

Bountiful Theft baseline would indeed help a lot of builds… It makes Trickery way less mandatory. Also trickster baseline might help to bring back some trait diversity but would force everyone to run withdrawal which is already considered best in slot. Much better if you can choose trickster and maybe add a pistol enhancing trait to trickery!

[dF]Vuu Thief/Mesmer – Desolation

in Thief

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I agree with trickster baseline + ricochet

More build diverisity