Suggestion for a theif weapon...

in Thief

Posted by: JqHades.2461

JqHades.2461

Myself and many thieves (and players of other classes) I know seem to think it would be a good idea to allow thieves the use of rifles for sneaky, long-ranged combat. The abilities would likely be something akin to sniper skills, and I believe most would need to root the thief in place (as in a sniper lining up a shot) and perhaps one stealth ability that would allow movement. I’m interested to see the opinions of other players and maybe a few devs if I’m lucky.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Sniping skills is definitely in the game and this had been suggested many times before. In fact, there’s a concept art floating around showing a female thief with a rifle.

So yeah, I, too, am hopeful.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

We need another Off-hand.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: draner.5213

draner.5213

I’ve already put my vote in for torch, a less sneaky condition damage offhand, though offhand sword could be a decent idea as well.

Also fully on board for rifle, all aboard the weapon train! WHOOT!

in Thief

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

While it doesn’t fit, I would like to see the class given a staff or scepter and turn it into a shadowcaster of sorts.

Off-hand sword or a whip could also be fun. Gun not so much as I have a ranger too and would much rather see the ranged stealthy sniper type given to that class

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

Myself and many thieves (and players of other classes) I know seem to think it would be a good idea to allow thieves the use of rifles for sneaky, long-ranged combat. The abilities would likely be something akin to sniper skills, and I believe most would need to root the thief in place (as in a sniper lining up a shot) and perhaps one stealth ability that would allow movement. I’m interested to see the opinions of other players and maybe a few devs if I’m lucky.

love it buty root would kill us. only reason is you really cant see beyond herm 2500 ft ish? guessing here sorry if im off. only takes 2 secs to close 3600 ft
i LOVE the idea tho.

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

+1
Anet has arealdy said it the game was designed to allow adding more weapons.

I can’t wait until there are new legendary weapons! <3

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

I’ve already put my vote in for torch, a less sneaky condition damage offhand, though offhand sword could be a decent idea as well.

that would be great to allow sword / sword combo, provided they put some thoughts into the 4 and 5 weapon skill slots.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

This. I’d much rather have a torch offhand than a rifle for thieves. Sniper rifle is already taken by warriors anyways.

in Thief

Posted by: JqHades.2461

JqHades.2461

This. I’d much rather have a torch offhand than a rifle for thieves. Sniper rifle is already taken by warriors anyways.

I wouldn’t know what to use a torch for, I have enough close range weapons, but that’s more personal preference. The rifle would give the thief a more legitimate ranged attack for precise strikes. As for the warrior, they have rapid fire rifle skills and an aimed shot, but their rifle handling is more akin to a regular soldier than a sniper.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Thieves currently use:

• Daggers
  • Harpoon Guns
  • Pistols
  • Short Bow
  • Spears
  • Swords

Seeing as how the Thief is the only Assassin-type class it would be appropriate if Thieves also were allowed to use Rifles or perhaps Longbows as well. I would expect them to be a slower weapon to use but it would also be more powerful.

The Rifle would probably be the slowest weapon to use but with more powerful bursts of damage and the skills could keep true to the Sniper. The Longbow could also be slow but keep the spirit of the Hunter-Assassin where some of the skills allow the thief to return to the shadows and continue picking off the enemy or set up ambushes.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Seeing as how the Thief is the only Assassin-type class

You have to be careful when shoehorning archetypes onto a profession though. Assassin play is a choice, not an innate characteristic of the thief. You could just as easy say that since thieves are the only Swashbuckler archetype that they should get access to bucklers and therefore shields. There’s always been a desire in the thief community for a sniper-style rifle, but I don’t see it as a great contribution to the profession, nor one that particularly lends itself to initiative. Not to mention folks would complain when warriors continue to shoot for more with kill shot (because their profession mechanics are much more suitable for sniper-style play).

A torch offhand could offer more viable condition-based setups for the sword (and others) mainhands, utility via a fire field, as well as increasing the thief emphasis on blind as a defensive mechanism.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Good point. The only reason why I say is because assassinations are always kept in the dark or where people don’t suspect. In RPGs, the Assassin class is a close subtype of the Thief where the focus is to produce ambushes with powerful openings while somewhat maintaining the combat style of their parent class afterwards. Just saying.