Sword/Dagger builds? Help me out

in Thief

Posted by: Rastaman.9015

Rastaman.9015

ok so I don’t like sword/dagger but I can’t deny it’s effectiveness. So teach me the way masters of the Sword/Dagga!! I have given it some play but not enough. I need to know what to trait and combo rotation ( I do realize that the thief profession is more situational than anything else so “rotations” are not necessary, but give me a general roll out).
My thoughts where go heavy evasions with 30 in acrobatics and either trickery or Critical strikes. I really have no clue at this point. I need help…

The class master. I enjoy all of the professions.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

for what? WvW or sPvP?

I play S/D in WvW.

S/D focuses on mobility so what you want to do is circle your opponent and not give them even a chance to target you. Spam flanking strike as fit to strip boons.

Profit.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: blakkrskyrr.7413

blakkrskyrr.7413

go watch Caed on twitchtv. he has been playing sword/dagger recently and shows his traits. it’s a good way to learn how to play it effectively also. if you search Caed it will show up with narcarsis. watch the previously recorded content for the past few days.

in Thief

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Sword is not as much affected by critical power as other weapons, thus focusing your configuration on it won’t give as much benefit as you might imagine. I run with 53% critical chance, 64% critical damage, 32% damage reduction and 15000 HP which feels good for my current skill level (you might want more defense in earlier stages).

Always remember to use IS for that free stun-breaker and clearly remember where shadow return will bring you to exploit it to the best of your ability. If you run with a sword and don’t have the shadow return icon up, you should be publicly laughed at. Use LS+FS when there is something worthwhile to steal (e.g. Vigor, Regeneration on something with high healing power or protection…). Do not use the second attack as fast as possible, a semi-decent player will dodge it so save it and use it a little later. Cripple when the target runs, and C&D to enable your stealth traits and recover health and remove conditions. Coming out, attempt to daze and remember it’s pretty long so it will work well on a low HP target to quickly finish it off. The auto attack chain, the third skill, hits like a truck and gives weakness (which is amazing versus non-criticial builds — like all those bloody bunkers).

Oh and use withdraw, there is no good reason not to use it. Need more? Ask.

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer