Sword offhand spec?

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Geeo.2154

Geeo.2154

was a little upset there was no sword offhand spec for thief, will it ever be implemented? Would love to see it anyone else?

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Doom.8647

Doom.8647

Sword offhand would create 5 more skills (4/5 skills + dual skills with dagger/pistol/sword), which is more balance work for ANet. I personally feel like a dual-sword thief wouldn’t feel like a thief.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Dronin.3957

Dronin.3957

You’re certainly not the only one.

I’m unsure how much of the Thief forum you read but many people tend to think we are a little bit limited with our options in weapons.

People have often called for a sword offhand and a rifle to plug our 1200 range gap.

sadly we do need fixes in other areas first, for instance sword/dagger duel skill is terrible and many people simply don’t like pistol/pistol etc. Where as Sword/pistol duel skill is very strong and some people are calling for it to be nerfed due to its 2 or 3 shotting ability in sPvP when combined with quickness.

who knows what Anet will do…

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

sure, why not?! more variety of choice is always good, also different weapons should be made available and not just for the thief profession but to all.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I feel like the Thief needs more weapon choices, but I’m not so sure that off-hand sword is the best fit. I think people are conceptually pulling this from WoW, but dual-wielding swords is actually not thief-y at all.

I wouldn’t stand opposed to it, granted, but I would actually prefer to see a light/non-weapon offhand (I talked about it a bit in a different post) that granted some cool utility skills (similar to horns, but more thiefy). I like the idea of fighting only with a single sword or dagger, and using the other hand for something more utility.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: metaphorm.6904

metaphorm.6904

Sword offhand would create 5 more skills (4/5 skills + dual skills with dagger/pistol/sword), which is more balance work for ANet. I personally feel like a dual-sword thief wouldn’t feel like a thief.

Thieves currently have fewer weapon skills than any other class (counting elementalist attunement swaps and engineer kits as weapon skills, since, well, they are). Having a few more would be nice. More variety for the class would be exciting and enjoyable. I think it would be work worth doing.

As far as flavor goes, i guess i see where you’re coming from. off-hand sword with a mainhand Dagger or Pistol would be really weird. doesn’t make sense to hold your large weapon in the offhand and the small weapon in the main hand. however, i don’t have any objection to a Dual Swords thief. i think that would be really cool actually.

So yeah, I’d like to see a Sword+Sword weapon set added. That would involve 3 new skills (the dual skill on 3, and the off-hand skills on 4 and 5) being added, so not an overwhelming amount of balance work (though still non-trivial).

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Einlanzer.1627

Ooh, I have it- A two handed swallow-type weapon, usable only by thieves. Also, boomerangs and whips for main/off and thieves’ tools for off.

The possibilities are really endless.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

Why wouldn’t it feel like a thief? =\

It’s easy to be a very agile dual-sword sneaky type. Just look at Drizzt Do’Urden.

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Einlanzer.1627

It’s easy to be a very agile dual-sword sneaky type. Just look at Drizzt Do’Urden.

But Drizzt is a Ranger! In all seriousness, I wouldn’t mind the option of using dual swords on my thief, but I really think single-wielding smaller weapons is more “thiefy”.

To me, dual swords would actually feel more appropriate to rangers.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

DrakeWurrum.6049

But Drizzt is a Ranger! In all seriousness, I wouldn’t mind the option of using dual swords on my thief, but I really think single-wielding smaller weapons is more “thiefy”.

To me, dual swords would actually feel more appropriate to rangers.

Eh, I don’t think he’s so much a ranger as a thief.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

metaphorm.6904

No dude. Drizz’t is explicitly a Ranger. He’s from a Dungeons and Dragons franchise of novels and they’ve even provided character stat sheets for him. He is a Ranger class character under D+D rules. Story wise, he was trained as a Ranger by surface dwellers after his exile from the Underdark. He even has a pet like a ranger. He’s not a stealthy urban Thief (would be called a Rogue under D+D system). He’s a wilderness Ranger.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

DrakeWurrum.6049

That pet wasn’t a proper pet. It was a magical panther summoned from another realm using a magical statue. Rogues can use magical devices, and are quite proficient at it.

He may have trained under a ranger, but he often operates more as a thief/assassin type.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Dronin.3957

Dronin.3957

anyway enough of the dnd arguing…

A mace could work for a Thief too… Thief’s are famous for using blackjacks and what not right?

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

metaphorm.6904

lol. a blackjack is like, a sock with some pebbles in it. its not a combat weapon. its for whacking people on the back of the head when they’re not looking. a mace is a combat weapon. and they’re HEAVY. definitely a warrior thing.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Cris Croix.2370

Cris Croix.2370

No, he definitely operates as a Ranger. Guenhwyvar is as much his animal companion(pet) as any other creatures are to any number of rangers throughout the entire fantasy genre. Just because you view him as an assassin, doesn’t mean you are right, especially when almost every piece of literature and lore explicitly refer to him as a Ranger.

If you want a real assassin, look no further than Atremis Entreri. He is depicted as Drizzt’s rival in every way. Of the many things setting them apart, the ones most relevant to this thread would be(at least in my mind): their combat methods(Drizzt = Dual Scimitars, Artemis = Sword&Dagger) and their polar opposite moral compasses.

Also, ANYONE can use magical devices and be proficient at them given the appropriate time investment.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Classic.4072

Classic.4072

Nerd Alert! DnD Approaching

Drizzit Do’Urden is a Drow Ranger. He Duel Wields Scimitar’s.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

Id actually love if we could have this weapon in game:

Kyoketshu-shoge.
http://allninjagear.com/ninja_equipment/ninja-assassin-kyoketsu-shoge-knife/

If you have seen the movie Ninja Assassin, that is probably the best showing of the weapon in a movie.

It could be the Chain+Blunt ball as main hand only, and only allowing dagger off hand.
The animations would have to be tweaked however to show the connection between the dagger and the chain.
The #1 ability could be a short range attack, not melee range, but somewhat shorter then pistol or the same range as pistol. With maybe 3s weakness on third chain attack to symbolize the blunt object hitting bone, joint or muscle and maybe 5s vulnerability on second attack of the chain, but the damage would be smaller then any other thief weapon #1 attacks, but obviously quick and chained

The second attack could be something similar to scorpion wire pull, and the dual attack could be an AOE spin of the dagger on the chain (slightly larger radius to a greatsword spin) that hits for higher damage the farther away the targets hit are and 1s dazes any targets that are very close.

Just an idea =)

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

wouldnt mind it myself
but i want a rapier skin

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

rapier wouldnt be half bad, I personally feel like a lot of the dagger attacks require you to be kissing the target, like even closer then arms reach, and the sword feels slow on a lot of attacks. I really thing a middle ground weapon is needed, that is short ranged but larger range then sword and dagger, still has the AOE function like sword/greatsword with more quick instant cast and chainable abilities (not channeled like PW, 100b, unload) I also think a chainable dual skill would be sweet for at least 1 weapon set (by chain I mean like dagger and sword #1 attacks)

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

offhand sword is fine. world of warcraft did not create the idea of dual swords and crediting it for that is dumb.

there’s also nothing weird about “I want to stab them to death with my strong arm” and “parry them with my weak arm.”

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

Adding a (melee) Whip to the Off-Hand through an expansion could be fun. I could see a lot of fun combinations and it does feel like a thief who fights dirty. (It would also fullfill many Indiana Jones fantasies for people.)

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I think OH sword would be cool for those swashbuckler types. I’d say just expand MH Sword, but that’d screw with itemization, so two swords works for how over the top the Thief already is. I’d like the 3 skill to be a Riposte or Parry.

Overall, I’m for Maces or Rifles if ANet is going to seriously give us some weapon love. Some of the models might look ridiculous on us, but a Mace is pretty Bandit like. The Daggers already give us the Assassin and Cutthroat motif, Swords for dashing swashbucklers. I say give us the Ruffian option.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Einlanzer.1627

Dual swords is more appropriate for the ranger IMO. Thieves do need at least one other weapon type though. I would vote for something new and unique (glove, whip, etc) that would let thieves feel more distinctive rather than just another variation of fighter. Sans that, I think MH axe or mace is most appropriate.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Busko.7408

Busko.7408

yea was a bit meh when i saw we dont have dual sword or any better range option. Would love to see A rifle (more like a assasin thif) and offhand sword.

Also i think they should have called the class something else then thief as i feel more like Pirate/Swashbuckler then a thief. Specially when there is lack of tight fitting outfits that a thief would have (like duelist set) most are very pirate inspired.

Im a Kitty Cat rawr
what what what….

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: rickshaw.5279

rickshaw.5279

TL;DR version @ the end

========

The amount of Drizzt fandom in this thread is surpassed only by the sheer amount of wrongness there is.

Let’s forget that the entire Homeland series ever took place which explicitly depicts the decades of warrior training that Drizzt undertook. We’ll just pretend that never happened. The 3rd ed. rule set places Drizzt as a 10 Fighter, 1 Barbarian and 5 Ranger. Per Salvatore that is his most accurate depiction because of the restrictive nature of dual classing in 2nd ed which placed him solely as a ranger (which Salvatore opposed). The one level of Barbarian is there to depict his time during Sojourn alone in the Underdark and the subsequent 5 levels of Ranger represent the time he spent on the surface as a devotee of Mielikki.

Dual Wielding became popularized as a “Ranger thing” in 2nd ed. explicitly because of Drizzt and his popularity in the late 80’s mid 90’s amongst nerds everywhere. It’s been a signature toolset of the genre ever since but it’s a stereotype founded in falsehood. The vast majority, and that’s not an exaggerated generalization that’s a fictional genetic truth of the genre, of Drow are ambidextrous. The odds of a non-ambidextrous Drow being born is akin to an albino Drow being born. They’re turned into slaves or Driders.

Pre 3.5 there were no Rangers in the Underdark. You were either a Fighter, a Cleric, a Thief, a Wizard, a class combination thereof or a slave. Rangers were explicitly woodland warriors. And pre 1986 there were no “dual wielding rangers” they were founded on Tolkiens ranger which was a model of Aragorn. They were bowmen who fought with great swords (Strategic Review Volume 1 pre AD&D)

TL:DR

Dual Wielding was a Fighter thing, not a “ranger thing” before readers started confusing Drizzt the dual wielding Fighter for 80 years before he saw the light of day with Drizzt the novice Ranger (with 75 years of Fighter experience pre surface) they read about for the first time in The Halfling’s Gem.

You’ve just been served by king nerd.

Where’s my ****ing cookie?

= )

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I’m going to bake you a whole dozen AND beg to play tabletop with you!

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Shintai.5618

Shintai.5618

They sure had plenty of time for some of the other classes

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

Pistols feel like thief? I thought thieves were supposed to be stealthy, not making a ton of noise.

Derpness aside, yes, thieves lack weapon skills atm. The diversity of builds is extremely low.

I pretty much always find myself repeating the same skills over, and over, and over again to make the most out of what’s available to me.

Sword offhand would add a few more skills to play around with and would make things a bit more interesting, imho.

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

How about a torch offhand? Thieves operate mostly in dark and everyone does not have infravision :P

For two handed option there could be staff (non-magical). That can also be used as a tool to help thieves to keep balance and assist in leaps when they do their acrobatics
And a staff can be non-lethal weapon. Thieves are thieves, not murderers. :P

Rifle of course would be the new ranged option.

Offhand sword sounds a bit clumsy and something that a thief would not use.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

pistols and even the suggested rifles really don’t fit the all thief persona…

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

My wishlist for new thief weapon options:

1. Torch off-hand with access to burning and fire fields.
2. Sword off-hand with at least one reactive block/reflect skill akin to the #4 spear skill.
3. Focus off-hand with each dual skill having different group boons so thieves actually have boon weapon skills.
4. Rifle

Sword offhand spec?

in Thief

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

boomerangs

as a 2000 range environmental weapon or not at all.
We don’t need any more of this “returning weapon” bullkitten which poisons every single game out there.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.