Tanky Thief Build Viable?

in Thief

Posted by: ItsChauTime.7513

ItsChauTime.7513

Hey guys so recently i just finished an all DPS Thief build with dagger/dagger because everyone was saying it was the most viable build but i find that i get drained way to fast and the dagger/dagger doesn’t take advantage as as many skills which is why i might change to pistol/dagger. I made a build here which i have decided to go a tanky hybrid build: http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7|a.1h.h2.8.1h.h17|5.1g.h2|1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h|1h.0.1h.0.1h.0.1h.0.1h.0.1h.0|0.0.u34b.k29.k37|2y.7|e

Tell me if you think is viable and think i should actually do it.

(edited by ItsChauTime.7513)

in Thief

Posted by: Quickhit.3620

Quickhit.3620

Thief can’t be tanky no matter what.Evasion is our primarily defense.
What you have posted is the known d/d spam 3 ,5 instead of 2,5.
Well,as I have said that works for newbies like wonder since they dont know how to cleanse conditions.
PS: Infusion of Shadow fits better instead of the ally healing you have at shadow art.

in Thief

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

Hey guys so recently i just finished an all DPS Thief build with dagger/dagger because everyone was saying it was the most viable build but i find that i get drained way to fast and the only viable skills on the dagger/dagger is 2, 5 and sometimes 4 and obviously 1. I made a build here which i have decided to go a tanky hybrid build: http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7|a.1h.h2.8.1h.h17|5.1g.h2|1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h.1h.7h|1h.0.1h.0.1h.0.1h.0.1h.0.1h.0|0.0.u34b.k29.k37|2y.7|e

Tell me if you think is viable and think i should actually do it.

you have made a thief that is still squishy, but now doesn’t do very good DPS

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

I don’t think your gear layout is optimal and there are a few traits i would swap around, but the core build idea is certainly viable and offers much greater staying power at the cost of lower dps.

I would advise focussing on either direct damage or condition damage rather than the hybrid you seem to be going for. If you go with condition damage then you don’t need to worry too much about power, crit chance and crit chance and can instead focus on condition damage, toughness, vitality, healing power etc to make a more survivability character.

in Thief

Posted by: ItsChauTime.7513

ItsChauTime.7513

Thanks guys, i had actually seen this build online and was just checking out the stats on it, i guess i won’t be trying to make this build, any builds you guys could link or post?

viable? http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7|c.1g.h17.a.1g.h1|5.1g.h1|1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.8g.67|0.k5a.u47b.k6a.0|39.7|e

(edited by ItsChauTime.7513)

in Thief

Posted by: Talock.7340

Talock.7340

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7|a.1h.h9.8.1h.h5|5.1h.h9|1h.712.1h.712.1h.712.1h.714.1h.714.1h.714|1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.8b.62|0.0.u34b.k2a.k59|31.e|e

I updated your original build to a more maximized p/d condition build. It’s a pretty generic build that works quite well in wvw when it comes to tanking and handing out damage. Pay attention to the duration mark on it (+75% duration between food/sigil/runes) to get most out of your bleeds. Also notice that with both consumables I went one tier below max which saves you about 90% cost of those consumables.

in Thief

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

Imo, full DPS thief works very nicely for ganking purposes. It’s harder to stay alive in group play but Dagger Storm in a blind field for example is very effective and keeps you alive.

The p/d condition build works as well of course. I’m more of a backstabber myself tho!

I don’t recommend heavy condition builds in WvW group/guild play tho. Bleeding won’t kill people because if you run with a decent group, you already down them with physical damage. Only poison is worth it but you also have that on the shortbow, when running a more DPS build.

I find it easyer with my DPS burst build to switch between individual and group play. That said, i prefer my more sturdy warrior and ele these days in WvW.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in Thief

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

Lol I like how u said the only viable skills for d/d is 2,5, sometimes 4 and 1 which is 4/5.

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

Thief can’t be tanky no matter what. snip

Beg to differ here…. My 3100 armor rating and 20k HP tanks quite well….

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

First off some thief builds are tanky (thinking of a couple of DB and PW builds that do well). That being said heavy armor classes still do it easier and usually better.

PS: Infusion of Shadow fits better instead of the ally healing you have at shadow art.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Protector heals yourself also. If your’e optimizing healing then yeah you should take it.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Thief

Posted by: Ekemeister.8905

Ekemeister.8905

Switch some of the zerker pieces for valkyrie. Thief has medium armor but could always stand for a little more hp. Additionally, don’t forget that all shadow returns remove conditions.

in Thief

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Thief’s don’t have protection, healing and barrier skills like Guardians do. They can dodge quite a bit though. The evasive builds of the Thief can be effective if you know when and what to dodge.

Our only effective condition removal is stealth. Stealth can be tricky in a melee group since the NPC you’re tanking will turn around and smack your ally in the face.

Thief tanks work but, not nearly as well as Guardian.