[Teef] Our weapon evades suck.

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

From the great minds of [Teef] comes the subject of weapon evades and how they suck at what they do. Compiled and written by our mysterious leader and brought to the masses by your’s truely, [Teef] brings you Weapon Evasions and why they suck massive kitten.

Our Weapon Evades Suck
Massive kitten

Here we’ll talk about the 4 evasion skills thieves have and breakdown the factors that cause these skills to underperform. Since anet is pushing survivability towards evasion builds. I think it is a good time to start suggesting to anet to give us back our weapon evades. Use this as material.

Death Blossom

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Blossom

While decent in the bleeds department, this skill is far from usable as an evade. 1/4s of evasion is essentially nothing and gets worse due to general skill lag and starting and ending lag to an extent.

Picture this: DB takes .5 seconds to complete. Tack on skill lag which can be .25 -.5 seconds and another .25 seconds (total) for starting and ending lag and you essentially are looking at an evade that covers on average 35% of the entire animation. .25 seconds out of 1.25 seconds at its worst. Half the animation on a perfect day. That isn’t even decent.

If the evasion was maybe a .25 seconds more it would be worth the 4 initiative. But it doesn’t and that’s why you don’t see that many d/d condition builds. The bleeds are nice but the skill makes you a sitting duck.

Disabling Shot

This whole skill sucks. It tickles. It taps your enemy’s ankle. You bunny hop in reverse. And it still rubberbands. Regular evades are much more useful than spamming this skill. At some point I tried to test it to find some redeeming quality but my conclusion was this:

• Damage inflicted does nothing.
  • The cripple is so short that simply doing nothing will counter it’s effects.
  • The evasion distance is almost comparable to the distance of a regular dodge. However there is less control.
  • 100% Projectile finisher may be the only positive thing about this skill and nobody really cares about them.
  • While a half second of evasion is fine, it still is a tiny window.
  • Overall the skill is ugly and bad. Other skills are better at it’s job.

I understand the point of nerfing the evade distance was meant to keep thieves in the fight but kitten let this skill do SOMETHING in combat!

It would be much more useful if the cripple, evade and evasion distance effectiveness was buffed by 50%. The functionality of the skill will remain the same, but the effects will help dampen the lag that is usually associated with combat. That way it can still be good as a reactionary and positioning tool, lag or not.

Another thing aside from general number buffs is to turn Disabling shot into a leap finisher. This I feel would increase the SB’s utility and make it that much more fun to use.

Flanking Strike

I do not have any problems with this. The only issue is skill lag and maybe some starting lag, but the evade covers 100% of the animation making it cover 66% of the time from button press to finish.

Pistol Whip

Like flanking strike, don’t really have many issue with this. However the evade and damage could get buffed since the skill roots. Also making the flurry only activate if the first attack hits would also be nice.

How to fix ALL OF IT

Simply increase all weapon evades by 1/4s. 1/4s isn’t going to make them OP and spamming them will still end up killing thieves like always.

Yolo’s Note: Ask for a trait that increases evasion frames by 1/4s and changes evades into backflips like Lightning from FFXIII. X3

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I would say make Flanking Strike and all other evade skills basically a dodge roll in that it forces the game to cancel all other animations and prioritize Flanking Strike. I can’t count how many times I’ve been auto attacking, anticipate an incoming stun, hit flanking strike only for it to delay because of auto attack animation and me thus getting my kitten handed to me. It’s pretty bad. Also happens with Withdraw and Roll for Initiative which is really dumb considering these are skills we should be able to time properly to be rewarded. Well, how can you time them when your auto attack makes you have to wait like half a second for it to cast? Ridiculous.

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

100% agree with all of this.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Minimum evasion should be half second on all. DB due to the animation shoul dbe 3/4 second. This would go all long ways towards nudging the acro line in the right direction with the ON evade traits.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

My problem with pistol whip is that it’s not really able to be used defensively. I’d like the evasion to start up immediately. If the windup to the pistol hit weren’t so long I think the whole set would be improved. Maybe if that hit came out as fast as shadow shot.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

We may be on opposite corners of the Melee Staff vs Rifle 2015 Summerslam Cage Match, but on this I agree, especially because of the annoying skill lag.

…well, except for the note about the pistol whip activating on hit. I enjoy making my asura flail around while I’m waiting around. She’s so cute!

in Thief

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

My biggest problem with the skill evades is that it requires the current animation you are doing to finish before executing the evade, including the auto attack. This makes timing the evade nigh impossible.

I also agree with Death Blossom being too little. 1/2 second evade wouldn’t make the skill overpowered.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Thief

Posted by: Timiok.1048

Timiok.1048

Thank you so much, for a sensible thread.
Yes, this would work very well, and possibly add some build diversity back, (With some easier access to vigor), and make things like S/P and S/D useful again.

in Thief

Posted by: sebradle.7034

sebradle.7034

Death blossom needs to be changed from its weird limbo state of being a condition skill on a power spec to just being a reliable evade.

in Thief

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

I really hate the stutter step of death blossom aftercast. Also when they will fix mid air immobilize.I have been killed many time because of random root while Death blossoming and stuck unable to press any skill.
It’s really bad that A-net nerf skilled based on A few pro player while in reality not everyone can pull that kind of stunt.

(edited by LONGA.1652)

in Thief

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

What about “Withdraw” and “Roll for intiative”?

Also,Disabling shot is not all useless,but it is freaking does nothing but evade and the animation is broken.fix the animation please

Increasing the evade times will result a toxic attitude by the rest of the community as they would think this will make us OP which eventually will nerf us even more in the long run.

in Thief

Posted by: JaeleCt.3967

JaeleCt.3967

I would say make Flanking Strike and all other evade skills basically a dodge roll in that it forces the game to cancel all other animations and prioritize Flanking Strike. I can’t count how many times I’ve been auto attacking, anticipate an incoming stun, hit flanking strike only for it to delay because of auto attack animation and me thus getting my kitten handed to me. It’s pretty bad. Also happens with Withdraw and Roll for Initiative which is really dumb considering these are skills we should be able to time properly to be rewarded. Well, how can you time them when your auto attack makes you have to wait like half a second for it to cast? Ridiculous.

the only problem with this would the possibility of cancelling recovery frames to attack slightly faster, kind of like the lightning whip, weapon stow thing, only much much less abuseable. the solution would just be to make startup frames cancelable and recovery frames non-cancelable. either way this would be a huge quality of life change (this would probably go for ranger sword aa’s too).

in Thief

Posted by: Bishop.7140

Bishop.7140

the sword, fix it, meow! meow! I want to use my sword as my dodge source so bad but it lagggggggs. kitten. kitten .kitten .kitten kitten kitten

in Thief

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

the only problem with this would the possibility of cancelling recovery frames to attack slightly faster, kind of like the lightning whip, weapon stow thing, only much much less abuseable. the solution would just be to make startup frames cancelable and recovery frames non-cancelable. either way this would be a huge quality of life change (this would probably go for ranger sword aa’s too).

Honestly, I’m not sure that is really that big of a problem. The damage increases from cutting off an auto attack are negligible. But, your idea is a good one, should dodge canceling prove too powerful in the future.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Thief

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

I like that pistol whip goes the full animation on cast tbh. Forces me to be careful not to spam it, which makes me better in the long run. You can use pistol whip defensively vs ranged attacks if you know when they’re coming too btw, like P/D condi. I agree it’s almost impossible vs melee tho, better to go for the stun to interrupt.

Other than those things, I agree with all of this. Don’t know why they messed with the sb 3 animation when they made that un-cancelable backstep a thing tbh, it was fine before. Especially now vigor’s took it like a man.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Thief

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Here is what happen you get immobilize when using dead blossom.Generally it happen when you got immobilize in the Air.

Its been months since the bug goes on.

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodyx.5946

Bloodyx.5946

you’re doing god;s work yolog sweggers

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

These are not my words. Just want to let you know. :P

Liaison for [Teef]