The build that can be used in every situation

in Thief

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

Like hambow for warrior, I’m really tired of looking 30 different builds -which I always fail- each day, do you have a ‘Jack of all trades’ build which you feel comfortable and don’t be in panic ‘oh, my build is weak in that situation, if they catch me on it, im done’.
I’d really be happy if you could share that kind of builds you have
Edit : If you don’t have such a build, please tell me the weapon comb. that would fit in every situation

(edited by Renegade.6240)

in Thief

Posted by: Magix.6904

Magix.6904

I’d say you should be looking at a different class if that’s what you want.

That being said 5-6-0-3-0 is always stable, and I suppose you can just stick to d/p or s/p along with a shortbow. If you’re doing d/p you probably want the healing spell that rolls backwards and has a 15 sec cooldown, for s/p the healing signet might be ok. Power or extra movement speed signet + smoke screen + shadow refuge should be fairly solid.

When I’m doing something for the first time (like a dungeon path I’ve never done), I find myself switching to d/p because I’m more comfortable with it.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Here’s a diagram that will help you decide your build.

(not mine. credits goes to the unknown owner on this image)

Attachments:

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I use my 2 0 0 6 6 S/D for all three game modes when I’m on my thief. It doesn’t do massive damage unless you run full zerker (though it’s still not as high as, say, a 5 6 0 0 3 D/P) but it’s entirely sustainable which is kinda the point. Most of the time zerker stats are what gives builds their damage anyways so. Anyways, this build is good against large groups of enemies and is incredibly mobile while dealing decent damage and evading/absorbing/regenerating through most damage, which are basically the four things you want to have in a build anyways.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: Rome.3192

Rome.3192

2 0 0 6 6 S/D, no doubt. Best build in game atm.

Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I use my 2 0 0 6 6 S/D for all three game modes when I’m on my thief. It doesn’t do massive damage unless you run full zerker (though it’s still not as high as, say, a 5 6 0 0 3 D/P) but it’s entirely sustainable which is kinda the point. Most of the time zerker stats are what gives builds their damage anyways so. Anyways, this build is good against large groups of enemies and is incredibly mobile while dealing decent damage and evading/absorbing/regenerating through most damage, which are basically the four things you want to have in a build anyways.

Not so sure that fits the all-purpose type of build take for example celestial Axe/Sword+LB war or celestial ele those builds fits that type. Burst and condi damage,decent toughnes,hp and regen, hybrid weapons and good might stacking.

S/D does not provide that.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

for me its the 2,6,6,0,0 build
any weapon can be used, cleanse conditions, good dmg, good way out with stealth

as for thieves any build in the right hand can work rather in warrior hand u will need special build to work

in Thief

Posted by: Rudy.6184

Rudy.6184

Lol nope. In the middle is standing celestial d/d ele – true jack of all trades. Along with him few warrior mightstacking builds.
2/0/0/6/6 builds aren’t even close to that – condies kill you like hell and unbalanced fights will kill you (if you talk about pvp it is the best indeed, but wvw no). I’m now testing back d/p build in wvw and it makes wonders (didn’t have gold for strength runes, so privateer – this rune is op).

in Thief

Posted by: Meryn.6875

Meryn.6875

I think s/p with shortbow is a pretty solid set for almost every encounter.

5|6|0|x|x always works, but for more survival i tend to go with x|6|x|6|x or something like that, just for the extra vitality and Pain Response + Assassins Reward. Zerker armor with vital runes (like Superior runes of Speed) works like a charm as well without losing too much damage.

With the x|6|x|6|x and vitality runes you should hang around 16k health.
Signet of Malice + Assassins Reward + Invigorating Precision + Pistol Whip and your health will stay up a lot as well.

This setup is just for when you feel you die a lot tho, if youre a bit more experienced i’d stick with the 5|6|0|x|x and some power runes

This is from a pve perspective btw, im not sure if youre looking for a wvw/pve/pvp build

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I think s/p with shortbow is a pretty solid set for almost every encounter.

5|6|0|x|x always works, but for more survival i tend to go with x|6|x|6|x or something like that, just for the extra vitality and Pain Response + Assassins Reward. Zerker armor with vital runes (like Superior runes of Speed) works like a charm as well without losing too much damage.

With the x|6|x|6|x and vitality runes you should hang around 16k health.
Signet of Malice + Assassins Reward + Invigorating Precision + Pistol Whip and your health will stay up a lot as well.

This setup is just for when you feel you die a lot tho, if youre a bit more experienced i’d stick with the 5|6|0|x|x and some power runes

This is from a pve perspective btw, im not sure if youre looking for a wvw/pve/pvp build

Anything full zerker is not all-purpose build you are countered by high toughness or protection. Celestial war or ele don’t care about what build you are using.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

S/D 2/0/0/6/6 is no doubt strong, especially for spvp and tpvp, it can do a bit of everything, though it wont have high burst.

If you really wanna be jack of all trades pick up a P/D + SB build, x/x/6/x/6
You’ll have high defense against conditions, against physical damage, high mobility, high pressure, high burst, high sustain. I was using Sigil of Geomancy, Sigil of Doom, Rune of the Krait, Bewildering Ambush and Caltrops along with Cluster Bomb allowing me to cause some neat pressure even outside stealth along with shortbow, however you have to be careful with weapon swaps while in stealth, and also be careful with stealth usage, since stealth results in decaps or loss of contesting progress.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

in Thief

Posted by: MLGKorno.5419

MLGKorno.5419

Actually, here’s a more accurate diagram I created based on your image:

Attachments:

in Thief

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

In my experience i find that D/P and SB work in 80% of scenarios, that or S/D and SB are prolly the closest things you can get to a jack of all trades build

in Thief

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

That white bit should say “Warrior” on it

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Funny but not true.

Dire set don’t have high damage since it’s incapable of burst.

Warriors still have to make those considerations. To get high damage, they resort to passive healing and high toughness which makes them susceptible to conditions and condition damage, especially poison, torment, and confusion.

Nice try, but next time — THINK first.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

MLGKorno.5419

Funny but not true.

Warriors still have to make those considerations. To get high damage, they resort to passive healing and high toughness which makes them susceptible to conditions and condition damage, especially poison, torment, and confusion.

Any warrior with cleansing ire is way less susceptible to conditions than most builds on other classes. Dire has higher damage than berserker’s if the conditions are allowed to tick. That’s why condition builds even work even though everybody has some condition clears, the one time that a bunch of conditions aren’t removed fast enough, they tick for a huge amount of damage. High damage isn’t the same thing as high burst.

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

I’d say you should be looking at a different class if that’s what you want.

That being said 5-6-0-3-0 is always stable, and I suppose you can just stick to d/p or s/p along with a shortbow. If you’re doing d/p you probably want the healing spell that rolls backwards and has a 15 sec cooldown, for s/p the healing signet might be ok. Power or extra movement speed signet + smoke screen + shadow refuge should be fairly solid.

When I’m doing something for the first time (like a dungeon path I’ve never done), I find myself switching to d/p because I’m more comfortable with it.

D/P for dungeons. Now I have seen all stupid things thieves can do in dungeons.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Funny but not true.

Any warrior with cleansing ire is way less susceptible to conditions than most builds on other classes.

Didn’t I said THINK first, yet here you are talking about cleansing ire.

The diagram is specifically called “GW2 Build Considerations” — note the word CONSIDERATIONS.

What does that mean?

It means, if you choose to build high damage/high toughness, you’ll end up with low health pool which will make you susceptible to conditions — hence you have to consider condition removals in your build.

Dire has higher damage than berserker’s if the conditions are allowed to tick. That’s why condition builds even work even though everybody has some condition clears, the one time that a bunch of conditions aren’t removed fast enough, they tick for a huge amount of damage.

Dire set is not about the Condition damage, you can build Carrion and deal more damage than Dire set. What Dire brings into the build is survivability but sacrifices Power for it — which means what? Less damage.

And please, leave out the B.S. about “Dire has higher damage than berserker’s” — that’s simply not true even if the conditions are allowed to tick.

High damage isn’t the same thing as high burst.

You’re confusing yourself — high damage is high damage — but in order to get high damage, you need to consistently have high burst. No amount of condition damage can compare to damage coming from a 3K+ power, 80%+ crit hit, and 220%+ crit damage. This is a pure high damage build, which based on the diagram is weak against burst due to low toughness and weak against conditions due to low health. So for someone to build high damage they have to consider making a build that can handle burst and conditions. Thieves with high damage consider building with Stealth and Shadow’s Embrace.

You’re making an argument without fully understanding what the diagram meant.

in Thief

MLGKorno.5419

Funny but not true.

Any warrior with cleansing ire is way less susceptible to conditions than most builds on other classes.

Didn’t I said THINK first, yet here you are talking about cleansing ire.

The diagram is specifically called “GW2 Build Considerations” — note the word CONSIDERATIONS.

What does that mean?

It means, if you choose to build high damage/high toughness, you’ll end up with low health pool which will make you susceptible to conditions — hence you have to consider condition removals in your build.

Dire has higher damage than berserker’s if the conditions are allowed to tick. That’s why condition builds even work even though everybody has some condition clears, the one time that a bunch of conditions aren’t removed fast enough, they tick for a huge amount of damage.

Dire set is not about the Condition damage, you can build Carrion and deal more damage than Dire set. What Dire brings into the build is survivability but sacrifices Power for it — which means what? Less damage.

And please, leave out the B.S. about “Dire has higher damage than berserker’s” — that’s simply not true even if the conditions are allowed to tick.

High damage isn’t the same thing as high burst.

You’re confusing yourself — high damage is high damage — but in order to get high damage, you need to consistently have high burst. No amount of condition damage can compare to damage coming from a 3K+ power, 80%+ crit hit, and 220%+ crit damage. This is a pure high damage build, which based on the diagram is weak against burst due to low toughness and weak against conditions due to low health. So for someone to build high damage they have to consider making a build that can handle burst and conditions. Thieves with high damage consider building with Stealth and Shadow’s Embrace.

You’re making an argument without fully understanding what the diagram meant.

Why so condescending with all the bolded words? Calm down. You have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to player vs player, maybe you’re PVE – in PVE because you can continue attacking the target nonstop, berserkers deals the most damage. In PvP you’re not going to get the chance to hit them every second, much less than that. A dire thief with sufficient condition duration sneak attack ticks for 6000 if the conditions aren’t cleared, there’s no way you would hit 6000 direct with sneak attack if you switched gears to zerker. Idk if you happen to play a condi thief but don’t want it nerfed.

A warrior has very little to consider because he barely loses any damage at all for speccing heavily into the defense trait line. At 5 points, you get 10% of toughness converted back to power. And again in the warrior example, warriors easily have above 20K hp in just about any build. Of course, they have less mechanics to avoid damage compared to thieves and mesmers. In your diagram, which only compares stats, warrior would actually fall into the middle.

You keep telling others to think, but you don’t even know how it works that well. If you think your build consideration philosophy is on point, then feel free to duel and I’ll show you that the white area in your diagram does exist and doesn’t even need to be condi.

(edited by MLGKorno.5419)

in Thief

Posted by: Hakan.9240

Hakan.9240

How about P/D?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAqYVl0Mp0pNNx7J8PNRSBx9CCQC8sF1ozTMVA-T1RAABA8EAi+UAoo+AUV/ZSlg9s/wYK/CAgAMzysMnZAzcmzcmzcmlCAi5AA-w

High Health? Check with 19k
High Toughness? Check with 1,9k
High Damage? Check
+ Dodge every 1-2 seconds

It´s not perfect in every situation.. but which build is?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Why so condescending with all the bolded words? Calm down.

Why are you reading it with condescension? Read it calmly.

You have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to player vs player, maybe you’re PVE – in PVE because you can continue attacking the target nonstop, berserkers deals the most damage. In PvP you’re not going to get the chance to hit them every second, much less than that. A dire thief with sufficient condition duration sneak attack ticks for 6000 if the conditions aren’t cleared, there’s no way you would hit 6000 direct with sneak attack if you switched gears to zerker. Idk if you happen to play a condi thief but don’t want it nerfed.

lol @ the bolded statement. Really now?

If your dire build can generate 6000 damage, how much do you think a ‘zerker build can generate? What number are you seeing that you’re so convinced that Dire deals more damage than ‘zerker? Can you provide the numbers you’re using for comparison just to show everyone and so I can believe that you’re not just b.s.ing?

A warrior has very little to consider because he barely loses any damage at all for speccing heavily into the defense trait line. At 5 points, you get 10% of toughness converted back to power. And again in the warrior example, warriors easily have above 20K hp in just about any build. Of course, they have less mechanics to avoid damage compared to thieves and mesmers. In your diagram, which only compares stats, warrior would actually fall into the middle.

Little considerations, big considerations, doesn’t matter — what matters is , the warrior has to take it into considerations, little or big.

You keep telling others to think, but you don’t even know how it works that well. If you think your build consideration philosophy is on point, then feel free to duel and I’ll show you that the white area in your diagram does exist and doesn’t even need to be condi.

Of course, the duel to prove a point even though the result of the duel has many factors outside the build and will never go in your favor.

If I win,
— it will only prove that my High Damage is worth the sacrifice of health and toughness.

If I lose,
— it will only prove that my High Damage is indeed susceptible to burst and/or condition damage.

Either result doesn’t favor your argument.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

That diagram is inaccurate. Here is the proper diagram.

Also to the OP, you are not going to find a good all around build because most of them are heavily invested in damage, making your toon squishy.

Attachments:

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Also to the OP, you are not going to find a good all around build because most of them are heavily invested in damage, making your toon squishy.

Warrior is a profession — not build. And within the Warrior profession, this diagram still applies when building them.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

How about P/D?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAqYVl0Mp0pNNx7J8PNRSBx9CCQC8sF1ozTMVA-T1RAABA8EAi+UAoo+AUV/ZSlg9s/wYK/CAgAMzysMnZAzcmzcmzcmlCAi5AA-w

High Health? Check with 19k
High Toughness? Check with 1,9k
High Damage? Check
+ Dodge every 1-2 seconds

It´s not perfect in every situation.. but which build is?

To find the high damage, you need to look at the profession and invest everything into damage then, only then, you compare that to a Dire set to see if it can even deal as much damage.

Do the same with toughness and health.

For example, your Dire build doesn’t have 21k health compare to a Sentinel/Soldier set so it cannot claim to have High Health.

I can simply do what you just did by using a full Soldier set and claim that it’s high damage, toughness, and health — but that would be dumb.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Warrior is a profession — not build. And within the Warrior profession, this diagram still applies when building them.

I wouldn’t doubt that it applies to them aswell. However, it doesn’t apply to them as much. More so if the player is good. (edited for sense)

But in the end, we will all eventually fall into warriorism.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Thief

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

Roll a warrior.
The only reason to pick a thieve at this point is to learn there mechanics.

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Roll a warrior.
The only reason to pick a thieve at this point is to learn there mechanics.

What are you talking about. Teef OP.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I wouldn’t doubt that it applies to them aswell. However, it doesn’t apply to them as much. More so if the player is good. (edited for sense)

I don’t believe that. I’ve seen a lot of bad builds even for Warrior only because they never consider the trade-offs, albeit they are easy to build.

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

2/0/0/6/6 S/D+SB does everything against different classes but it also has a counter. . like a really good D/P 2/6/0/0/6 thieves and a zerker shatter mez when they catch u by surprise and also turret engies are pain in the kitten if they used their elite+ utility turrets u will probably lose cap point and forcing yourself to move away and switched to shortbow Cluster bombing+poison field his territory

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I don’t believe that. I’ve seen a lot of bad builds even for Warrior only because they never consider the trade-offs, albeit they are easy to build.

Are you sure it was the builds?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

All it takes is a peek at the Warrior Forum.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Why trust a person’s word when you can just play the profession? I have a warrior that I leveled to 80 and did a little theorycrafting on it for a few months. I can tell you there are more than a few builds that can deal out good damage while maintaining an impacting level of tankiness and group support.

It is all because the profession is about passives and fire-and-forgets. But not only that, the traits reward you well for not using adrenaline. Since adrenaline can be quickly filled anyway, you can still use bursts and maintain those bonuses’ uptime. That’s just another form of passive, but a passive nonetheless.

All in all, the warrior is in a place right now where the only thing it needs are bug fixes simply because the profession has it all. If the OP wants a guaranteed multipurpose build, he will want to go play warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

regarding the argument about dmg above

both condi spec and power spec can yield the smae dmg the main different is time

condi spec can tick in average 3k dps thus his sustain dps will be around 6-10 seconds as even if he is not hitting the condition will tick

power spec which can yield huge burst can do in fast combo 14k dmg so his dms will be 5-6k dps but it migh take longer to down the enemy so his sustain dps can be longer so his actual sdps will be the same and the condi spec

in short both spec in duel situation would take same time to down the enemy (but in open world the favor is for the power one as he can surprise the enemy and down it faster)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Why trust a person’s word when you can just play the profession? I have a warrior that I leveled to 80 and did a little theorycrafting on it for a few months. I can tell you there are more than a few builds that can deal out good damage while maintaining an impacting level of tankiness and group support.

Unlike you, others who take on their own theorycrafting still fails. Evidence of this can be seen in the Warrior forum.

The diagram helps the builder to improve their own build since they can see what they are sacrificing when they focus on one area.

So then, they don’t have to trust other person’s word.

It is all because the profession is about passives and fire-and-forgets. But not only that, the traits reward you well for not using adrenaline. Since adrenaline can be quickly filled anyway, you can still use bursts and maintain those bonuses’ uptime. That’s just another form of passive, but a passive nonetheless.

Yes, but even then you still have to consider the trade-offs. It might be minimal for the Warriors, but it’s still there.

All in all, the warrior is in a place right now where the only thing it needs are bug fixes simply because the profession has it all. If the OP wants a guaranteed multipurpose build, he will want to go play warrior.

I agree, but a multipurpose build is in no way a “high” on anything. It’s all about considering the trade-offs and the risk/reward.

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Personally, i’ve been running d/d+SB hybrid with the new lifesteal trait, signet of malice, mad king runes, and carrion gear, and fire and condi transfer sigils.

It takes a lot of situational play to make effective, but I’ve found it capable of staying up in most situations from high sustain combined damage types. The mad king runes turn basilisk venom in a to pretty nice heal + instant ranged stun (for 1v1), or an uninterrupted daggestorm in to an extremely awesome zerg-sustain, as well as buffing both damage types in a way that really helps the hybrid damage.

It’s not going to win any DPS races, but its got a good selection of evades, heals, stealth, condi clears. And melee/ranged heal over time to do pretty well in most sectors of play. The spammable whirl and blast combos it puts out make it valuable in group play, and it’s got enough damage to keep pressure on targets on all sizes and numbers.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ