The duel-sword Thief (Swashbuckler)

in Thief

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

It’s most likely we will get off-hand sword for HOT. I can’t to get my head around the fact that thieves are one of the squishes classes which would mean it would have to have a lot of evades or knockbacks’ just to survive. Any thoughts on how how a thief will survive with another horn cause I just don’t see it working…

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

in Thief

Posted by: BFMV.3198

BFMV.3198

It’s most likely we will get off-hand sword for HOT. I can’t to get my head around the fact that thieves are one of the squishes classes which would mean it would have to have a lot of evades or knockbacks’ just to survive. Any thoughts on how how a thief will survive with another horn cause I just don’t see it working…

Wrong

We are most likely to get rifle, especially since Elementalist are getting swords as their new weapon

in Thief

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

How about making two more threads?
THE AXE THIEF (RAIDER)
It’s most likely we get an axe…

THE TORCH THIEF (insert random title here)
It’s most likely, we get a torch…

So in the end you can say “see, guys? I WAS RIGHT!”

Tbh, I doubt, thief will get another blunt object to bash in faces. The new weapon will either be condition-centric(aka torch) or ranged(aka rifle), as the current thief isn’t all that well-rounded in those areas.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Thief

Posted by: Comus.7365

Comus.7365

hmm torch sounds pretty cool.. imagine fire breathing yeah!

in Thief

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

THE SCEPTER THIEF (Con-Man)

lulz

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

you forgot to change “horn” to “sword”

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

So far we’re under the assumption that no two classes can get the same new weapon. But it’s just an assumption. They haven’t explicitly said that it can’t happen, at least not that I’m aware.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Ben Delat.8415

Ben Delat.8415

Shurikan and Chain/whip Thief??

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Fork and spoon thief! The grummet

in Thief

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

Or the whip and handcuff thief a.k.a. 50 shades of thief… :p

Lady Minuit

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Or the whip and handcuff thief a.k.a. 50 shades of thief… :p

Never seen that movie, but gigidy.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The main reason that an off-hand weapon is unlikely is due to the fact that ArenaNet would have to create skills for each possible combinations for dual-wielding.

And we all know that weapon skill #3 is part of the main-hand weapon which will create a ton of work for ArenaNet to create and balance.

So they are facing two choices;

1. - introduce an off-hand that will add 2 off-hand skills and 3 dual-wield skills (working on main-hand skills), or
  2. - introduce a Rifle(or Greatsword) that will add the same number of skills, but will only affect one weapon set.

Given that in the past that ArenaNet isn’t really fond of creating more unnecessary work, they are more than likely to opt for the easiest choice — 2-handed weapon.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I’m gona put my money on Rifle as well.

Thief lacks a weapon to go beyond 900range, it just isn’t there. Longbow is already going to Guardian and with Bandits there is perfectly good lore to justify a Rifle for Thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: Vurse.9873

Vurse.9873

I’m gona put my money on Rifle as well.

Thief lacks a weapon to go beyond 900range, it just isn’t there. Longbow is already going to Guardian and with Bandits there is perfectly good lore to justify a Rifle for Thieves.

On the other hand, a thief at 900range would be seriously OP.

in Thief

Posted by: Anhomedog.7968

Anhomedog.7968

I feel like survivability is going to go up for this update, as long as you don’t go full glass cannon, which of course you can, but whatever… If you go into Crit Strikes and Trickery like usual you’ll have a whole line left. IMO the best option for the last line is going to have to be shadow arts. The healing while in stealth, and Condi removal is going to be way to useful in pvp situations for staying alive. Using this and mix and matching your armor in WvW will create one heck of a good build. Saying this, an offhand sword would be awesome, and maybe Im the only one, but a rifle really doesn’t seem very theify if you ask me. Every wep set has some kind of mechanic that would allow you to escape of mitigate damage and I fail to see how a rifle could accomplish that. Im not bashing the fact that having a rifle would be good a bad, Im all for it TBH, but I just fail to see how it fits the class

Ride the Lightning: Movement speed adjustments
no longer affect the intended travel distance.
-The Pros at ANET

in Thief

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

Thieves will never ever get a knockback. That would be OP.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Thieves will never ever get a knockback. That would be OP.

…and useless. I’d rather have knockdown or silence.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…Thief lacks a weapon to go beyond 900range, it just isn’t there…

Err, pistol has 1050 range with Ricochet.

in Thief

Lady Minuit.3186

Maybe he should have said then, “Thief lacks 1200 range”, but then someone else would have said, “You have 1200 underwater!” then someone else would have said “you have 1500 step!” or “You have Scorpion Wire!”.. or my favorite “you have stealth therefore gtfo”.

Basically, there is always a troll to say something trollish, and it doesn’t change the fact that some of us want 1200 range.

Hopefully anet agrees someday.

Lady Minuit

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Maybe he should have said then, “Thief lacks 1200 range”, but then someone else would have said, “You have 1200 underwater!” then someone else would have said “you have 1500 step!” or “You have Scorpion Wire!”.. or my favorite “you have stealth therefore gtfo”.

Basically, there is always a troll to say something trollish, and it doesn’t change the fact that some of us want 1200 range.

But we have a 10,000 range trap…

in Thief

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

Thieves get rifles, to be used as 2-handed warclubs.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Don’t forget those catapults either… Well over 1200 range.

Thieves get rifles, to be used as 2-handed warclubs.

Yes, because they will give us just the rifles – without the ammo.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

It doesn’t count. It’s not a Thief skill.

“Use Staff” (Stolen item) is also 1200 range.

in Thief

Lady Minuit.3186

It doesn’t count. It’s not a Thief skill.

“Use Staff” (Stolen item) is also 1200 range.

That’s a nice compilation.. we should have a separate thread and have it pinned for future reference…

Lady Minuit

in Thief

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

That doesn’t make sense. A swashbuckler uses sword and buckler(shield). They don’t use two swords.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

I’ve read this before..

in Thief

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

duel welding rouge would be wicked fun though.
I’m leaning towards the rifle side of things as well, as we already have sword main, we would only get a couple new skills out of it.

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodyx.5946

Bloodyx.5946

THE SCEPTER THIEF (Con-Man)

lulz

lmao. scepter scepter dual skill: con job

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Rangers get druids, so let’s get witches xD and brew more poisons, with either a scepter a staff, or a rifle why not. Anything long will do to brew the poison in the summoned pot.
rifle witches would be cool Anet loves originality.

in Thief

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Fork and spoon thief! The grummet

Combine the two into one two-handed spoon-fork. The Sporkthief!

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Likely rifle or OH sword.

I say this because new implementations on small-sized weapons would force the team to develop more skills, and as you may have already noticed, they are not even close to done developing the new skills/elite specs.

Consider the following number of skills need to be made:

Rifle: 5. Just like the Druid, Dragonslayer, and Reaper

OHS: 2(base) + 1 from MH Sword + 1 MH Pistol + 1 MH Dagger = 5

Any other dual-wield-able smaller weapons:
2 (base MH) + 2 (base OH) + 1 (Dual wield) + 1 (MH Sword) + 2 (MH/OH Dagger) + 2 (MH/OH pistol) = 10

That’s exponentially more effort to develop a whole pile of new skills and balance them all, and with them already being strapped for time on HoT with the need to still balance all of their new skills on all of the classes, create skill icons, effects, etc.), we’re probably not looking at any dual-wield-able weapons.

So we’re likely seeing an interrupt/blind-based rifle for group support (i.e., offhand pistol/rifle engineer) that will look and feel wrong on the thief in general.

in Thief

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Likely rifle or OH sword.

I say this because new implementations on small-sized weapons would force the team to develop more skills, and as you may have already noticed, they are not even close to done developing the new skills/elite specs.

Consider the following number of skills need to be made:

Rifle: 5. Just like the Druid, Dragonslayer, and Reaper

OHS: 2(base) + 1 from MH Sword + 1 MH Pistol + 1 MH Dagger = 5

Any other dual-wield-able smaller weapons:
2 (base MH) + 2 (base OH) + 1 (Dual wield) + 1 (MH Sword) + 2 (MH/OH Dagger) + 2 (MH/OH pistol) = 10

That’s exponentially more effort to develop a whole pile of new skills and balance them all, and with them already being strapped for time on HoT with the need to still balance all of their new skills on all of the classes, create skill icons, effects, etc.), we’re probably not looking at any dual-wield-able weapons.

So we’re likely seeing an interrupt/blind-based rifle for group support (i.e., offhand pistol/rifle engineer) that will look and feel wrong on the thief in general.

You know Necromancers just got 5 new skills as their new ‘Knight Shroud’ in addition to the 5 they got from the Greatsword skills, right?

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Yes, but those skills are heavily based upon the existing class mechanic skills, and those also just replace the class mechanic as a whole.

Thieves are likely going to get a different class mechanic and set of skills tied to F1 etc. in addition to their new weapon skills. I’d also like to point out that the Reaper has been in development for a lot longer than probably what the thief elite spec will face; as even Gee stated that the Reaper has been in development for a very long time in the stream.

in Thief

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I unfortunately have to agree.

Thief spec is the one I’m least looking forward to. I absolutely hate rifles in this game.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Thief

Posted by: CaptRazz.7320

CaptRazz.7320

A main hand or off hand axe for a pirate or scallywag could be interesting

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

give us a mace so i can wield a mace/dagger and wonder how weird this set up is.

[SA]

in Thief

Posted by: darres.8203

darres.8203

i would prefer a greatsword if we don ’t get rifle

in Thief

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

i would prefer a greatsword if we don ’t get rifle

That’d be awesome.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Thief

Posted by: Crimson.3019

Crimson.3019

I think we will use axe or rifle , stealing’s mechanic let us join melee fight , axe is used in assasins creed and deadly small weapon for melee combat , If rifle comes , I think we will use for 2nd weapon because I think thief’s mechanic is melee.Also I think we gain new abilites for f2 and survival abilitys but I prefer use daggers :/ I wish daggers still be useful and new utility , f2 and elite skills will be awesome.