The history of thief.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Daunt.8239

Daunt.8239

Character creation states deadly 1v1 potential.(It still does.)
You nerf our stats lower than any other class.
You invent reveal.
You invent single utilities that alone could counter entire stealth builds.
You nerf what we moved over to in avoidance of stealth.(S/D)

Forced away from S/D and to a single build choice on any real competitive level with a pathetic 1v1. Then you nerf that a little bit… but it’s still our best option…

Present day:
You PARTIALLY give us back what you took away in the first place(S/D. Yet still a shadow of it’s former self.) Then gave everyone else all this cool stuff. Welcome to GW2HOT.

You realize that they fired developers over at ESO when they were making AOE damage classes do higher single target damage with their AOEs then the single target rogue right???

Worst 1v1. Lowest health. Weak single and aoe damage on both sustained and burst.

There are AOE BURSTS STRONGER THAN OUR SINGLE TARGET MELEE BURST. Who also hold higher sustained than us.

(edited by Daunt.8239)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: RobotiClaw.7534

RobotiClaw.7534

#WontBeSeen

I completely agree with you btw

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Overworld.9613

Overworld.9613

I feel like this missed a few steps, but is a moderately working timeline of changes. A full timeline would be cool though, that way when people claim we have potential for 12k backstabs we can point directly to when we could last do that.

Secretly creative

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I feel like this missed a few steps, but is a moderately working timeline of changes. A full timeline would be cool though, that way when people claim we have potential for 12k backstabs we can point directly to when we could last do that.

Depend on what you’re talking about; pvp or wvw.
Wvw: Last time I’ve been able to have 12k backstabs with my 06620 build was about a year ago before might was nerfed and before Sigil of Fire was nerfed. That was pretty rare though = against uplevels, nearly downed enemies and one guy who must’ve had a very unfortunate build.
At least the only other skill in game that could hit that hard back then was warrior’s rifle.
No idea about signet thieves – they must’ve had 12k+ backstabs frequently.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

well it actually goes way further
with things like
mug nerf
hs nerf
backstab nerf
head shot nerf
ini nerf
black powder nerf (HONESTLY THIS ONE IS SO COMICAL CONSIDERING OTHER CLASSES BLINDS)
ferocity patch (cringe)
multiple sb nerfs (SB is OP guize, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha)
air/fire nerfs….
list is endless

on the other hand, things they buffed were: lol venoms…

For 3 years they been methodically nerfing this class into oblivion while buffing every other class. I don’t understand how this is even allowed and why there is no controll over people with god complex.

Guys, support this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-stream-wish/first#post5701526

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

with things like
mug nerf
hs nerf
backstab nerf
head shot nerf
ini nerf
black powder nerf (HONESTLY THIS ONE IS SO COMICAL CONSIDERING OTHER CLASSES BLINDS)
ferocity patch (cringe)
air/fire nerfs….
list is endless

For 3 years they been methodically nerfing this class into oblivion while buffing every other class. I don’t understand how this is even allowed and why there is no controll over people with god complex.

Guys, support this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-stream-wish/first#post5701526

Well yeah, if you ask bad players, all the thief is supposed to do is decap and +1. We’re not supposed to be good at anything else because “hurr durr, mobility”. Anyone who uses these arguments should be dismissed immediately. Balancing a class should not be based entirely around avoiding combat, and anyone who thinks otherwise, should never be taken seriously. Thief mobility isn’t as good as these bad thieves would have you believe.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Shadowstep.6049

with things like
mug nerf
hs nerf
backstab nerf
head shot nerf
ini nerf
ferocity patch (cringe)
air/fire nerfs….
list is endless

Well yeah, if you ask bad players, all the thief is supposed to do is decap and +1. We’re not supposed to be good at anything else because “hurr durr, mobility”. Anyone who uses these arguments should be dismissed immediately. Balancing a class should not be based entirely around avoiding combat, and anyone who thinks otherwise, should never be taken seriously. Thief mobility isn’t as good as these bad thieves would have you believe.

Well, devs also support that +1 only mentality on their stream. Their discussion about pvp and thief few months ago was probably one of the main source where this um… how to put it nicely, rather intellectually lacking idea came from from begin with.

Oh and then we have revenants and mesmers with plenty of mobility….that actually don’t get punished for it with nerf bat.

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

with things like
mug nerf
hs nerf
backstab nerf
head shot nerf
ini nerf
ferocity patch (cringe)
air/fire nerfs….
list is endless

Well, devs also support that +1 only mentality on their stream. Their discussion about pvp and thief few months ago was probably one of the main source where this um… how to put it nicely, rather intellectually lacking idea came from from begin with.

Yeah, there’s a reason I don’t watch dev streams involving thieves. It’s because the devs know less about thieves than the actual players do, because they’re too busy nerfing them to actually play them.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Overworld.9613

OK, so I went back through the wiki’s archives and tried to compile a mostly chronological list of major nerfs and buffs this class has had, this brought back a lot of old memories of sad farewells to useful skills and builds. The following is an abridged summery of the changed, a mostly complete change log is found here as these are the notes I made as I researched.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KynnPQh0rOo31_eY_CUgX3I2GS4lqcTzRU8HGGe_e9c/edit?usp=sharing

Starting in 2012:
Flanking Strike is unblockable now
Pistol Whip nerfed by 15%
Heartseeker nerfed by 20%
Dancing Dagger nerfed by 50%
Tactical Strike buffed +15%, PvP split introduced
Cluster Bomb nerfed only in PvP -20%, PvP split introduced
Cloak and Dagger nerfed in PvP -33%, PvP split introduced
Scorpion Wire range increased to 1200
Ricochet chance increased to 20%
Super Speed in stealth trait buffed up to +50% speed
Pistol Mastery and Improvisation buffed to +10% damage

2013:
Venoms and Assassin’s Signet “fixed” to lose charges if attack fails
CnD fixed to make attacking walls not give stealth in WvW
Caltrops nerfed duration 15sec -> 10 sec
Flanking Strike now two skills, boon steal no longer unblockable
Mug can’t crit, can heal through
Signet’s passives doubled
Death Blossom costs 4 initiative now
Pistol Whip activates and channels faster
Signet of Malice buffed by 33%
Steal baseline reduced down to 35sec
Cluster Bomb range reduced 1200 -> 900
Larcenous Strike now costs 6 initiative total
Shadow Return no longer a stun break
—Major trait changes happen--
Steal can be trait’d to 1500 range
Destroy Shadow Trap no longer stun break
Larcenous Strike only steals 1 boon
Pistol whip is made faster again

—New heal skill introduced and Initiative worth rejiggered—

2014:
Runes change
Traits start to change
Pistol Whip gains PvP split, costs more in PvP
Poison Gas nerf poison duration 5sec -> 3sec per pulse
Trait System changes completely
Ricochet gains bonus pistol range +150
Dagger Auto-attack now cleaves into a second target
Unload channels 20% faster
Flanking Strike increased to 4 initiative, larcenous reduced to 1
Venom’s baseline recharge reduce 45sec -> 40sec

2015:
Might nerfed by 15%
Traps properly buffed
Invigorating Precision buffed 8% -15% (crit dmg delt becomes life gained)
Teleports don’t activate if path can’t resolve
Backstab doesn’t reveal if it fails
—Conditions changed--
—Armour and Lv 80 Baseline stats changes—
—June balance patch, goodbye Acrobatics—
Steal becomes 1200 range as baseline
—Skill classifications mean something again—
Traps no longer cause revealed
CnD PvP split removed, dmg values averaged
Basalisk and Devourer Venom CCs nerfed
Chocking Gas nerfed again
Potent Poison buffed poison duration +10% -> +33%
Expeditious Dodger buff swiftness duration increased 2sec -> 4sec
Death Blossom evasion extended

Then Heart of Thorns
Then present day

Now you can draw accurate conclusions on how the class has changed

Secretly creative

(edited by Overworld.9613)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Shadowstep.6049

It doesn’t include all changes to head shot, black powder and such :P

The history of thief.

in Thief

Overworld.9613

It was 4 years of changes, I may have skipped a line, if you can find when the major changes happened I’ll include them. Also I left black powder out on purpose because the changes never really seemed that impressive or impactful

From memory, headshot became more expensive and the stun became shorter maybe about dec 2013

Secretly creative

The history of thief.

in Thief

Shadowstep.6049

It was 4 years of changes, I may have skipped a line, if you can find when the major changes happened I’ll include them. Also I left black powder out on purpose because the changes never really seemed that impressive or impactful

From memory, headshot became more expensive and the stun became shorter maybe about dec 2013

BP used to tick every second… that nerf was a big thing actually, since it made BP just a combo field and not defensive option

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Ah release…
The list of did you knows*

3rd Dagger auto applied Weakness, not Poison
Shadow Shot used to be blockable (teleport)
3rd Sword auto used to not apply weakness on top of cripple
Infiltrator Strike used to have no cast time for either port
Infiltrator Strike used to only cost 2 init to go, and 1 to return
Flanking Strike used to be only one skill with a total cost of 4 and hit twice
Flanking Strike used to not steal boons
Flanking Strike (hit for hit) used to deal less damage
Pistol Whip used to stun for 3/4 second, now 1/2
Body Shot used to only apply 5 stacks of Vulnerability (no root)
Body Shot used to cost 1 less initiative
Shadow Strike used to not be a Combo Finisher
Shadow Strike used to not deal Torment
Choking Gas used to have no cast time
Choking Gas used to deal no damage outside of poison
Hide in Shadows had no cast time
Venoms used to have 45 second cooldowns
Shadow Trap used to have 30 second cooldown
Signet of Shadow used to be an aoe blind AND immobilize
Venom Duration used to be 45 seconds
Skale used to apply weakness not torment
Caltrop Trick used to have 14 second duration
Tripwire used to apply light damage
Tripwire used to only affect 1 target
Haste used to REMOVE all your endurance and REMOVE endurance gain
Thieves Guild used to have no cast time
Basilisk Venom used to turn to stone (think Ele Ice bow 5, stun breakers didn’t work)
Dagger Storm didn’t used to apply stability
Caltrops didn’t use to show enemies the ring they affected
Thieves Guild used to have more tools more frequently and deal more damage

Things hard to find in the video but that are important In my opinion:
Once, there was no torment
Once, people thought that Thieves Guild was good and Basilisk was bad
Once, people thought that P/P was a terrible set
and Once upon a time there was no reveal

There are other cookies, but this is to show you that things changed considerably, and we haven’t changed nearly as much. What actually happened is all the other classes have enjoyed massive power creep. Food for thought, right?

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Headshot never changed. It may have fluctuated, but Thief is pretty close to release as it is now =P Just miss old assassin signet, backstab, and heartseeker. =/ Then I’m set.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Overworld.9613

There are other cookies, but this is to show you that things changed considerably, and we haven’t changed nearly as much. What actually happened is all the other classes have enjoyed massive power creep. Food for thought, right?

The other classes got power creep to attempt to align them with where ANet wanted them in the metagame, it seems like by mid 2013 they stopped trying to do that. And while almost every other class (except Elementalist who have never seemed terribly stable in their position balance wise) got buffs to some skills the Thief got QoL “fixes”. Fixing up unintended interactions, clarifying tool tips and making skills work as intended (which included several patches claiming to do the same thing month after month eventually sticking the landing and fixing the issue), so while the other classes had successful Mash 1 builds, we had a higher and higher skill celling installed as all our skills worked (this is undermined by the terribly harsh nerfs Thief got from the get go with no recuperation, but there is no winning in the game of life)

Secretly creative

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Arlowslol.1974

Arlowslol.1974

and the biggest hit to flanking strike/larcenous strike is change it into"you can only active larcenous strike when you hit someone with flanking strike." then SD is dead

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

Thank you, Overworld. That helps put everything in perspective.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: lazycalm.5186

lazycalm.5186

Bumped for visibility

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

with things like
mugs crit for 5k++
mug nerf
fixed fact that Hs would miss 2/3 casts even if enemy is not moving and with every HS landing thief is called “no brain hs bot class”
hs nerf
backstab only reliable source of dmg
backstab nerf
head shot nerf
ini nerf
black powder = undeniable stomp vs most of classes
ferocity patch (cringe)
END OF CRITICAL STRIKES META
after nerfing every other weapon most thieves went to sb and spammed cluster for nice dmg
air/fire nerfs…not direct nerf on us but still 1 of top 3 classes that used that sigils to deal dmg
list is endless

I will just add some things

And whats worse is fact that thief should be tricky 1v1 nuker with LOW DEFENCE but INSANE DMG SPIKES. H risk H reward, Problem is right now all i see with daredevil is fact that i can RUN AWAY even faster, there is almost no class that i can kill in 1v1 (if player is on same skill lvl as me there is no way i will win) necro got reapers, they still get dazed/feared but now you cant ignore thier f1, Reaper hits faster you cant just roll around or take few hits from him. Mesmers got AOE wells that seems a bit hard to counter as thief, even if i can daze gravity well he will drop it anyway reset time and drop it 2nd time… Aside from Necros and Mesmers thief was about 50/50 vs warriors, thank god berserk isnt that hard to deal with since is same warrior with red glowing effect… DH is almost impossible to kill, druids can tank you now(and kill pet 1st cuz it will be problem in long run)Scrappers and rev will just spam revealt and nuke you after…

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

The history of thief.

in Thief

Jana.6831

A lot of creep nerfs have been left out of this time line – the June Patch was the biggest nerf for thief of all time – P/D has been nerfed because poison and bleed became relatively useless and because the one trait I always forget was deleted. S/D became useless with the deletion of feline grace, D/D became useless with CiS and SRej both in grandmaster.
Also SA got rid of Last Refuge as a minor and taking it is not an option as everybody takes SE anyway (to me this is less survivability as the only time I really had trouble with LR was when I was lagging), No might anymore, SE got nerfed – what we got instead was in my opinion gimmicks – which is fine if people want to trait for it – I know though that other clas ses got this stuff as minor too.
And an indirect nerf: Revealed traits/skills. “But no one takes them” “I’d know that”.

ETA: Also the coefficent of CnD was reduced to 1,25 from 1,5 in June (hope I got the numbers right).

(edited by Jana.6831)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Tempted to go through nerf wish list and see how many actually came true, now that there’s a list of changes…

Then again, too busy enjoying the game on my rev. :P

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

See? thief is fine and non of you listened.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Wasn’t Cloak and Dagger nerfed by 33% at one point?

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

The history of thief.

in Thief

Overworld.9613

Wasn’t Cloak and Dagger nerfed by 33% at one point?

It’s in my notes, I just forgot to put it in. I may have been a bit tired when finishing it up

Secretly creative

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephar.3746

Nephar.3746

sadly i must agree.. the rly rly sad thing is that no matter how further into glass-build we go we cant produce dps comparable to other classes (pve-side)
let alone pvp…

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The larger issue at hand is that thief simply hasn’t kept up with the buffing of other classes. The loss of partial trait lines hit the thief really hard. When they re-engineered the trait lines, most other classes made out better than thief. Then came all the defensive additions to other classes. Virtually every class now has some spammable form of stealth, block, invuln making take downs significantly more difficult. Add on the AoE power creep and you end up where thieves are now… a +1 at best in most fights and an outright liability in others. Even the best thief builds we face these days don’t use stealth any longer.

Oh and one that is kinda glossed over is Ricochet. It was completely removed and gutted P/P.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

The history of thief.

in Thief

Daunt.8239

I’m sorry for not listing everything. It was mostly just as overview that would someday be read eventually if it survives long enough.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Jana.6831

I wasn’t complaining in case you thought I was =)
Just that even if one tries to look up what has changed the trait changes are left out.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

You should add that hidden Thief buff, getting 3sec Fury uptime while attacking. or am i the only one?

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

OK, so I went back through the wiki’s archives and tried to compile a mostly chronological list of major nerfs and buffs this class has had, this brought back a lot of old memories of sad farewells to useful skills and builds. The following is an abridged summery of the changed, a mostly complete change log is found here as these are the notes I made as I researched.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KynnPQh0rOo31_eY_CUgX3I2GS4lqcTzRU8HGGe_e9c/edit?usp=sharing

Starting in 2012:
Flanking Strike is unblockable now
Pistol Whip nerfed by 15%
Heartseeker nerfed by 20%
Dancing Dagger nerfed by 50%
Tactical Strike buffed +15%, PvP split introduced
Cluster Bomb nerfed only in PvP -20%, PvP split introduced
Cloak and Dagger nerfed in PvP -33%, PvP split introduced
Scorpion Wire range increased to 1200
Ricochet chance increased to 20%
Super Speed in stealth trait buffed up to +50% speed
Pistol Mastery and Improvisation buffed to +10% damage

2013:
Venoms and Assassin’s Signet “fixed” to lose charges if attack fails
CnD fixed to make attacking walls not give stealth in WvW
Caltrops nerfed duration 15sec -> 10 sec
Flanking Strike now two skills, boon steal no longer unblockable
Mug can’t crit, can heal through
Signet’s passives doubled
Death Blossom costs 4 initiative now
Pistol Whip activates and channels faster
Signet of Malice buffed by 33%
Steal baseline reduced down to 35sec
Cluster Bomb range reduced 1200 -> 900
Larcenous Strike now costs 6 initiative total
Shadow Return no longer a stun break
—Major trait changes happen--
Steal can be trait’d to 1500 range
Destroy Shadow Trap no longer stun break
Larcenous Strike only steals 1 boon
Pistol whip is made faster again

—New heal skill introduced and Initiative worth rejiggered—

2014:
Runes change
Traits start to change
Pistol Whip gains PvP split, costs more in PvP
Poison Gas nerf poison duration 5sec -> 3sec per pulse
Trait System changes completely
Ricochet gains bonus pistol range +150
Dagger Auto-attack now cleaves into a second target
Unload channels 20% faster
Flanking Strike increased to 4 initiative, larcenous reduced to 1
Venom’s baseline recharge reduce 45sec -> 40sec

2015:
Might nerfed by 15%
Traps properly buffed
Invigorating Precision buffed 8% -15% (crit dmg delt becomes life gained)
Teleports don’t activate if path can’t resolve
Backstab doesn’t reveal if it fails
—Conditions changed--
—Armour and Lv 80 Baseline stats changes—
—June balance patch, goodbye Acrobatics—
Steal becomes 1200 range as baseline
—Skill classifications mean something again—
Traps no longer cause revealed
CnD PvP split removed, dmg values averaged
Basalisk and Devourer Venom CCs nerfed
Chocking Gas nerfed again
Potent Poison buffed poison duration +10% -> +33%
Expeditious Dodger buff swiftness duration increased 2sec -> 4sec
Death Blossom evasion extended

Then Heart of Thorns
Then present day

Now you can draw accurate conclusions on how the class has changed

Can somebody make like an infographic about this? Would be nice signature copypasta.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Boy don’t we all miss the days when thieves could fight a zerg single handedly?

I mean… all these nerfs are so unjustified.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

A zerg that lets a thief pick off so many people like that without focusing him should be eaten singlehandedly.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: meepeY.2867

meepeY.2867

This video is a 5man group fighting a zerg, not just a single thief…

90% of the people in the video stood still or didnt even fight back.

https://www.twitch.tv/meepeYPlays
WvW Thief Aurora Glade – Mutli Bulid Streamer – 1PM – 4PM GMT, Mon – Fri
My Daredevil Build: The Defender!

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Torqbow.2839

Torqbow.2839

AOE BURSTS STRONGER THAN OUR SINGLE TARGET BURST. I agree with this very much, I die to condi cleave in a very short period of time, and I run a lot of removal.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Well if we are going to nerf classes based on some of the best players using them… I think the mesmer would have been nuked into oblivion long ago.

Zerg surfing was (and sometimes still is) possible but required a high amount of skill to pull off reliably. Yishi was (is?) a pretty impressive player and still has some of the best breakdown videos out there.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

The history of thief.

in Thief

Overworld.9613

The high risk high reward style is kinda bad for providing players with feedback on if they’re doing well or not when fighting against it. Say you’re playing against a thief at launch and they miss their mug because they’ve become predictable, most classes in PvP could then turn around and destroy the thief in about as fast as the thief could do to them. Which made the fight incredibly unfufilling when compared to the far slower fights any other class would provide.

Except after a while the meta got over this and learned that any dangerous thief build was also incredibly predictable meaning that in WvW or PvP a thief might be able to get one or two easy kills before they lost the element of surprise and stomping thieves who were using the flavour of the week build became a past-time of many high skill players.

The problem with the thief has never been their place in the meta, it’s been that when they go into stealth the other player loses sooooo much information regarding the thief that it starts to feel like the thief is cheating. Having a Guadian drop all his fancy AoE skills that lock you in place and deal huge damage gives the player a big shiny note that there was defiantly something killing them. If a thief used the mug+backstab to wipe a player off the map there was no hurrah or signature that told them what to look out for in the future.

If stopping stealthed NPCs was something you had to do in the story, or if skelks were an actual threat like smokescales are now, players might have learned that if you can’t find your opponent now and are sure they’re about to run away or backstab you and you last saw them literally on top of you some AoEs on your location might ruin their day.

Secretly creative

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Nemaides.6873

Nemaides.6873

It seems that, even other classes start to understand the situation :
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/PSA-toguardians-pvp-forum-wants-you-nerfed/first#post5715055

From the current state of the game, I think that Thieves and Warriors could use some buffing. It doesn’t matter if I am on DH or on Scrapper, those two classes do not threaten me at all. You can ignore their contribution to a fight.

Maybe there’s hope after all.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Jana.6831

If stopping stealthed NPCs was something you had to do in the story, or if skelks were an actual threat like smokescales are now, players might have learned that if you can’t find your opponent now and are sure they’re about to run away or backstab you and you last saw them literally on top of you some AoEs on your location might ruin their day.

There are thief NPCs – at least in LS2 anet tried to bring thieves closer to the players – you have to fight some thieves in dry top and you have to fight as a thief during one LS episode, which brought me a lot of QQ “can’t fight as a kitten thief, I’ll never get that AP QQ QQ QQ and some more QQ”

The history of thief.

in Thief

Daunt.8239

I hope developers read what people have to say.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Jana.6831

I also hear what my mother has to say. She doesn’t hold her breath though.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Daunt.8239

I also hear what my mother has to say. She doesn’t hold her breath though.

That’s hilarious.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

I remember maybe the first nerf, assassin signet.

I also remember the sad day they butchered S/D. R.I.P

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: plex.6305

plex.6305

1. that is not one person (great pvp awareness)
2. that’s blackgate (my server) and that’s not a zerg (t1 and t27 not the same thing)
3. the thief in that vid (Yishis)this is all he and his guild (Riot) did.He was very very good. (so high skillcap bad, care bear pug group good?….)
would love to pvp with you sometime……..

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I spoke about this already but what made you think that posting a video where the first few targeted players did absolutely nothing but keep running as they were getting damaged proved that thieves deserved to be nerfed into what feels like uselessness?

being able to 1vx when your opponents are like that is balance.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: moje.1863

moje.1863

Erm. This video hurt to watch, no offense to Yishis, he is a really good player. But look at the opponents, half of them standing still, absolutley no awareness of their sourroundings. Looked like it was one person Multiboxing lol.

Oh and it was mentioned, but i don’t feel like it got noticed. They completely removed the Ricochet trait which removed the whole set from pve and crippled it hard for pvp.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

https://youtu.be/qR5lFFJb6kA
This is my first video from the first gw2 beta weekend look at how revealed was non existent. I don’t know but even if the gameplay feels so bad, I miss that time were pvp was not only a big mess of AoE and CC.
Edit: I know it was OP not having cd on stealth but how much more funny it was compared to now

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

(edited by Kolly.9872)

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

Most of these changes would have been good if all the other professions were treated in the same manner and balanced properly. I shudder imagining a heavy armor class can out dps somebody who dies from two hits.

I’d start balancing with splitting pve and pvp skills/traits but as far as I know Anet has no plans to do that.

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Your signature amuses me.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

The history of thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Your signature amuses me.

3 years of balance patch taught me a couple of things