The monotony is killing me...

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

Why do I feel like, after playing just a few months, I have seen almost everything about the Thief at least PvP wise? D/P has been meta for quite a while some time now. That’s all I see to be honest, from time to times, I see staff Thieves (Min Scherzo style) coming, but that’s about it… oh yeah and ebola thieves.

I definitely don’t master the profession, but the monotony is starting to kill me. I wonder if others agree with me. I m gonna force myself to learn S/D for the sake of changing things around, but something is truly missing here, and I cannot point it out.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Silverbolt.2301

Silverbolt.2301

That’s because the balance team is incompetent and they only know how to promote the same weapon set (D/P with SB on swap) for years.

It also does not help that the person in charge of thief balancing has little to no interest in the class itself (or so it seems).

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

It’s the same guy ? Since HoT’s launch? I remember getting temporary banned for raging so hard at him and the how the Daredevil was being brought up.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yep, Karl is still in charge of Thief as well as Guardian and Warrior his two favored children.

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Why do I feel like, after playing just a few months, I have seen almost everything about the Thief at least PvP wise? D/P has been meta for quite a while some time now. That’s all I see to be honest, from time to times, I see staff Thieves (Min Scherzo style) coming, but that’s about it… oh yeah and ebola thieves.

I definitely don’t master the profession, but the monotony is starting to kill me. I wonder if others agree with me. I m gonna force myself to learn S/D for the sake of changing things around, but something is truly missing here, and I cannot point it out.

It’s pretty much true for all professions in ranked. I don’t find it monotone since my focus on thief is more on map awareness, trying to make the good rotation decisions and focussing the good target.

I’m far to be as good at it as I want to be….Changing classes from times to times is fine as well.

On a complete random note : I just learned that you could jump + debilitating arc to keep the evade frame without rolling backward. Isn’t it awesome ? if you are not amazed, I can’t do much for you….

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

I mean ya just named 3 builds of varying viability, that’s more than some professions have. Not saying we couldn’t have even more but thief really does have more variety than ele or necro.

in Thief

Posted by: A I I A S.8209

A I I A S.8209

Try this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVn8lClOhFNBGOB8PhlWCzrMEpSRzlwW4MULAcAWAA-TpxBQBA4BAghDBgB3fgAHBgldCA8SZAA

You play it just like d/p but with condi. I find it extremely fun to play and drop people like flies because they don’t expect a condi burst so big..

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Try this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVn8lClOhFNBGOB8PhlWCzrMEpSRzlwW4MULAcAWAA-TpxBQBA4BAghDBgB3fgAHBgldCA8SZAA

You play it just like d/p but with condi. I find it extremely fun to play and drop people like flies because they don’t expect a condi burst so big..

I’m happy to see that build here ^^ I made a similar build and had a lot of fun with it I would just say that you sigil and venom can draw attention that something is wrong about you.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

In PvP it is pretty limiting because of how strong and easy other classes are in the meta (looking at you DH). In WvW there is a much larger diversity to be found.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

Try this build:

That does actually looks like a fun build, but for the life of me, I can’t agree with ebola builds.
Right now I switched to S/D … It’s more “graceful”. S/D fights flow is beautiful to look at and the additional condi clear is reasonable. Access to Stealth isn’t that straightforward.

Well.. It is.. but you get my point.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: A I I A S.8209

A I I A S.8209

Try this build:

That does actually looks like a fun build, but for the life of me, I can’t agree with ebola builds.
Right now I switched to S/D … It’s more “graceful”. S/D fights flow is beautiful to look at and the additional condi clear is reasonable. Access to Stealth isn’t that straightforward.

Well.. It is.. but you get my point.

Well.. This isn’t so “ebola” because you don’t spam dodges and only 1 skill mindlessly. Like I wrote, you play it Just like power d/p and headshot is extremely powerful in this build. I totally agree that s/d is fun to play though, but hey! Give it a shot there’s also a really fun p/d condi build a guy posted in this forum a while back.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Such is the nature of a poorly-balanced game in its competitive environment. Play one way or lose because you have obviously better options and people are playing to win and will use them to increase their chances of winning.

And it’s caused mostly just because the other sets are just poorly-designed and/or simply underpowered as a consequence, and numbers increases would either keep them being poor options or would make them OP if tweaked too high. Not to mention when it comes to sPvP the biggest problem facing the thief is the nature of how it achieves damage being incompatable with the format’s current amulet system and the sheer number of stats provided being too low to make such investments worthwhile.

ANet doesn’t do design reworks no matter how necessary they are. Unfortunately when it comes to the thief’s weapon skills, the less-used weapons with the least amount of general synergy are the most in need of reworks or are just strictly weaker than the others.

In sPvP, the thief is shortbow because it’s otherwise just been stripped of its capacity to fight. D/P makes the best ganks and reduces enemy map insight to augment the +1 role. All other weapons, especially the power creep now, are for the most part invalidated as a consequence, since they can neither be used for map traversal (as this requires the shortbow to be more efficient than other professions which have better combat potential) or lack gank substance (making that mobility kind of pointless).