Theif vs warrior stat difference in pve

in Thief

Posted by: hunnybun.1380

hunnybun.1380

Hi guys, I have a warrior but I like the style of the theif more. Assuming that I dodge everything perfectly and survivability isnt an issue (lol) what percent dps do you lose as a theif compared to a warrior in dungeons / fractals?

Assume my group is an exp pug, ie mostly zerker but definitely ranging a lot of fractal bosses (does thief sb tie with warrior lb o_O?) , stacking in dungeons so no reliable backstab , etc etc

Any rough estimate would be appreciated, ty in advance!
(My personal guess is 50%)

(edited by hunnybun.1380)

in Thief

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I don’t think the DPS difference is that high if you go S/P. The big difference is that you can’t give out fury, might and banners for your team. However, I’d say you make up for that with lots of blinds and stealthing.

in Thief

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

The best ranged Thief weapon is Dancing Daggers

And a Thief does more damage than a warrior in Dungeons and Fractals presuming you don’t die.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Thief

hunnybun.1380

Hmm I just tested this in AC with my 20/20/15/0/15 warrior and my 0/30/15/15/10 thief and the thief damage felt much lower.
Two things I approximated from the big numbers:
War GS autoattack ~ Thief pistol whip
War 100 Blades > Thief heartseeker even on bosses with <50% hp

Does thief have to go full zerk to outdps a warrior? Because then I’d have to give up thief style points (ie +1 to stealth, dodge refund, stealth revive)

Oh and I ran with a new player team that didn’t stack much might b/c I didn’t want to join an exp run with my nube thief…

in Thief

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Hmm I just tested this in AC with my 20/20/15/0/15 warrior and my 0/30/15/15/10 thief and the thief damage felt much lower.

Does thief have to go full zerk to outdps a warrior? Because then I’d have to give up thief style points (ie +1 to stealth, dodge refund, stealth revive)

Oh and I ran with a new player team that didn’t stack much might b/c I didn’t want to join an exp run with my nube thief…

Well… you are comparing two builds that are far outside the meta. If you compared the 30/25/0/0/15 warrior and the 30/30/0/0/10 Thief you will find that the Thief has superior DPS.

And to answer a point from earlier, there are almost no places where you can’t get the flanking/backstab bonuses. And the few places where you can’t? Those are the places where you will be picking up a Fiery Greatsword, which combined with Improvisation trait you will have the top dps in the game, period.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Thief

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

Lose 50% DPS? Closer to gain 50% dps. My estimate would be somewhere around 30% though.

in Thief

hunnybun.1380

Well… you are comparing two builds that are far outside the meta. If you compared the 30/25/0/0/15 warrior and the 30/30/0/0/10 Thief you will find that the Thief has superior DPS.

And to answer a point from earlier, there are almost no places where you can’t get the flanking/backstab bonuses. And the few places where you can’t? Those are the places where you will be picking up a Fiery Greatsword, which combined with Improvisation trait you will have the top dps in the game, period.

Yeah.. I don’t think full thief zerk in PuG fractals is a good idea .. there’s a significant (25%+?) of PuG groups that would fail if you went full zerker as opposed to something more supportive .. I remember when I was running empowered allies / healshouts on my war and was barely keeping everyone alive at 10% hp at the fire imp shaman / mai trin. Imo a few seconds saved at a boss fight < the time wasted rekilling a full boss after wipe in the long run.

Do you have a ballpark estimate for how much higher full zerk theif dps is than warrior? If its like <15% then it might not be worth the stress of staying focused 100% of the time… it is a game after all xD.

in Thief

hunnybun.1380

Lose 50% DPS? Closer to gain 50% dps. My estimate would be somewhere around 30% though.

If it was 50% I would change mains in a heartbeat… and then proceed to spend 50% of the time throwing rocks xD. 30% still sounds really good though..

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

LOL @ improvisation trait. Last thing I’m going to trait for is something I can’t even make on my own.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Warrior is easier to play for it’s effectiveness, but I’ve seen threads where people have calculated an S/P thief has the highest sustained DPS of any class.

You should be able to find them with the forum search feature

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Thief

hunnybun.1380

Warrior is easier to play for it’s effectiveness, but I’ve seen threads where people have calculated an S/P thief has the highest sustained DPS of any class.

You should be able to find them with the forum search feature

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Thief-vs-Warrior-DPS-Finally-settled/page/2#post2424175

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Thief-vs-Warrior-dmg-what-bugs-me/page/2#post1976991

Umm yeah I found some threads of people arguing but not exactly what I’m looking for. So far people have said 30-50% damage increase (sample size = 1). Looking for more ballparks ..

in Thief

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

LOL @ improvisation trait. Last thing I’m going to trait for is something I can’t even make on my own.

It’s a team game dude.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Thief

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

My Thief feels like it has more potential damage, but I’m also often required to actively mitigate damage so the time spent doing damage becomes reduced. My Warrior is more capable of ‘powering through’ some amount of damage which means that he can do damage while being hit meaning that he can potentially be doing more damage than my thief.

The damage is, honestly, very similar, and you should probably pick a class based on playstyle, thematics, or sexy armor.

in Thief

Posted by: Corpse Flakes.5369

Corpse Flakes.5369

Hi guys, I have a warrior but I like the style of the theif more. Assuming that I dodge everything perfectly and survivability isnt an issue (lol) what percent dps do you lose as a theif compared to a warrior in dungeons / fractals?

Assume my group is an exp pug, ie mostly zerker but definitely ranging a lot of fractal bosses (does thief sb tie with warrior lb o_O?) , stacking in dungeons so no reliable backstab , etc etc

Any rough estimate would be appreciated, ty in advance!
(My personal guess is 50%)

I’d have to say thief Pistol Pistol easily out dps’s longbow and rifle. I can Unload almost constantly (pistol pistol 3) and it’s about 10k per unload.

As for melee S/P thief or D/D thief can out DPS warriors if traited 25/30/x/x/x

-BelieveGate-

Anet please nerf Paper, Scissors is fine -Rock.