Theif worth playing?

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Sanquinn.5904

Sanquinn.5904

Hi guys,

I am new to gw2 and wanting to playing theif. I mostly play pve and was wondering if playing theif will be viable for pve (open world,dung,fractals). Does it have aoe, dmg,etc?

ty

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

For open world dungeons and fractals anything is viable. For raids and pvp (and wvw) not so much.

The thief is currently the worst class out of all in every game mode. It has almost no group support its damage is outmatched by others its survivability is garbage, and it has poor build diversity.

Worst still the elite specialization is a rehashed version of pre nerf acrobatics (yes thieves had a 3rd dodge before daredevil) and no good range weapon set. On top of all that there are some weapon sets that are totally disjointed (like pistol/pistol that is a condition weapon but with a power skill 3 or dagger dagger which is a power weapon set but with a conditoin skill 3 and a condition trait associated with it).

I also head stories of thieves getting kicked from raids since they bring almost nothing to the party.

So yea it might get buffed and the garbage skills (pistol dagger 3 most venoms and all traps and the entire acrobatics trait line) might get fixed, but right now it is not worth it, especially if this is your first character.

see no evil ,until i stab you

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

If you’re just looking to have fun, Thief is definitely worth playing. If you want to take part in group content without being harassed by everyone there asking you to play something different then you should probably consider making a secondary class to play along with the thief. Imo, at least playing the thief helps you in many parts of the game and it makes you a better player so even if it isn’t your main or your big content character, I’d still play it for the skill benefits and just the enjoyment of playing it.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: doblev.2701

doblev.2701

The thief delivers superior to other DPS classes in the game do not understand what the hatred expressed in previous comments in this forum .

The thief is in a tough situation right now that people are still trying to complete the raid , and a meta are totally damaging the sense of play.

I have seen the thief doing 80 k damage seems like a very good way to contribute to a raid do not understand if there are 9 people providing useful and damage not exceeding the thief and the thief made ??every 48 seconds, a 80 k dps then there I do understand.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Kaliny.8265

Kaliny.8265

Well maybe a thief could deliver more DPS than other class, but then it would need to survive for at least one whole second.

I’m not always rude and sarcastic… Sometimes i’m asleep.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: AlCojester.4316

AlCojester.4316

The thief delivers superior to other DPS classes in the game do not understand what the hatred expressed in previous comments in this forum .

The thief is in a tough situation right now that people are still trying to complete the raid , and a meta are totally damaging the sense of play.

I have seen the thief doing 80 k damage seems like a very good way to contribute to a raid do not understand if there are 9 people providing useful and damage not exceeding the thief and the thief made ??every 48 seconds, a 80 k dps then there I do understand.

Attachments:

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

No. It kittening sucks, like your a single guardsman going up against one hundred vanguard veteran marines all with power swords, and said guardsman is arm-less with a small wooden knife in his mouth. In short, you’re kittened.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Well currently the effort doesn’t give enough payoff so no. You generally just play Thief for entertainment/amusement now and not for effectiveness/usefulness.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Till dps meters are out… All the talk about dps is relative to the player feels or their own impressions…
As far as I know there’s like 2-3 people that actually take the time to record their runs and then go through the combat log and adding things up…

Personally, I’ve played both rev and necros in the raid, and they feel like they do a lot more damage than a thief – and I really don’t doubt that engie does. BUT, till we get a dps meter, we won’t know for sure. Also, you have to think about the effort your putting in to pull of your max dps… Like with a thief you will probably be busting your balls to actually do considerable dps – while on a rev/necro you could be relaxing, sipping a drink, watching a youtube video, and still doing considerable dps.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Lumbernuts.9726

Lumbernuts.9726

Theif is fun to play, as for Effectiveness/usefulness No.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Attachments:

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Doggie.3184

Attachments:

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

It’s been a while since I logged in but this got my attention for too long. Just wut?! It’s a great bait though I’m thinking English is not your first language.

Things haven’t change much it seems I’m eager to know what is planned on those balance changes for thief and elite specs.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

By the pale mother I’m simply going to have to put out a video showing the Dare Devil’s raid dps potential to finally shut up all these people who GASP at the thought of Dare Devil being the highest dps class in the game … ugh.

Least it will give me a pet project for a while.

Suffice to say:

If you enjoy doing physical damage that exceeds that of all other classes, and welcome the challenge of staying alive while dealing this damage, and learning a DPS rotation that is flexible based on what you are fighting and when your group gives their damage buffs, Thief is for you.

To briefly explain:

In GW2 there are ways to increase the offense of your group. Some classes provide others with a stacking buff called Might, others provide Fury, which increases your chance to crit, and still further some classes offer unique ways of further enhancing damage stats.

Warriors/Berserkers provide Banners and a group wide Power buff. (easiest might stacker in game also)

Ranger/Druid provides a spirit that buffs raw damage, increases crit chance of group, and as a druid has access to two powerful damage % increases.

Mesmer/Chronomancer provides Quickness (increases speed of ability use) and Alacrity (reduced recharge timer on abilities).

Revenants/Heralds provide 50% boon duration to help all of the above, as well as their might/fury stacking, and a group critical damage buff.

If you have all of the above in a group, the absolute BEST person for the final slot for maximum damage is a Dare Devil (thief’s elite specialization).

The Thief offers NO offensive support for other classes, but it is by definition the highest damage in the game if played correctly while using the Staff skill set (unlocked at 80 with the expansion.)

Most people are VERY unaware of this fact, and I plan on putting out some raw numbers and raid footage eventually for demonstration the Daredevil’s damage potential.

There are three things that make the Dare Devil stand out as a damage dealer:

1. Their dodge deals damage, which is only shared with Warriors, and it increases their damage by 10% for 4 seconds. This allows damage while avoiding telegraphs.
  2. Their damage largely comes from their Initiative skills, which consume a finite resource that slowly recovers over time, but their weapon skills have no recharge. This allows a Dare Devil to “burst” all of their damage in quick bursts during the brief uptime of some offensive buffs (specifically the druid’s, which lasts for a short time). This allows them to get more bang per Initiative spent.
  3. Their Vault skill allows for repositioning as needed, as well as their Steal skill which teleports you to a foe in 1,200 range. This allows them to be where they need to be in a raid.

Outside of raiding, as long as you know how to dodge well, the Dare Devil is very, very durable in even the least defensive of gear, and I rarely go down in some of the harder open world content. And during raiding, you are amazingly self-sustainable without need of much external healing due to a trait which can convert 15% of your critical hit’s damage into self healing. Considering 30K to 40K critical hits are possible, and you only have 11.5k or so health baseline in full offensive gear, you heal up exceptionally quick if you take a hit, and the Daredevil’s heal is actually REALLY strong and fast, while also rebuilding your dodge energy.

So long story short:

Thief, at least as a Dare Devil, is not just “ok” or “bad,” it is amazing if played well. BUT it is not easy.

If you want “Easy and Great” go Revenant/Herald. If you want “Challenging with Higher Potential” go Dare Devil.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Okay troll.
Nn.

@ OP: No, In my opinion Thief is not worth playing at this moment, unless your goal in GW2 is to gather resources fast (lumber / ore / plants).

It’s weapon sets and trait lines are messed up: condi skills mixed with power skills in different weapon sets that make no sense; re-hashed trait lines that are still a complete mess after the June change. The list can go on, but should you want more information I’m sure you can find it on reddit, since this forum is new and it lacks a WORKING FLUCKING SEARCH OPTION.

It’s power damage is decent, and in order to reach high numbers a player must do things like rotating the camera in stupid ways.

It’s condi damage (few bleeds and poisons, no access to burn) is mediocre at best, see the Venom share threads.

In order to reach the highest DPS so that you can contribute Something(your damage) to your group you will have to go full out DPS resulting in having 11k HP. GL with that.

Unless you will do you own testing, dps calculations and raid/fractals / world event monitoring with different professions under different setups (as I did) you can only read different threads to try to form an opinion.

So it is my opinion that Thief is not in a good place now for top PvE (Raids). I see no reason why a group leader would chose a 11k HP DPS-er with no group support. Why not chose a warrior or a Revenant who can output the same DPS by pressing #1, but have GREAT group support, almost Double HP and heavy armor?

I am aware that I may be wrong, and I really hope I am, since Thief is the profession that I enjoyed most in the past. But that hope (that I am wrong) is so tiny that I decided I won’t be a burden for my raid group and I won’t roll with a thief in raids.

(edited by rogerwilko.6895)

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Okay troll.
Nn.

@ OP: No, In my opinion Thief is not worth playing at this moment, unless your goal in GW2 is to gather resources fast (lumber / ore / plants).

It’s weapon sets and trait lines are messed up: condi skills mixed with power skills in different weapon sets that make no sense; re-hashed trait lines that are still a complete mess after the June change. The list can go on, but should you want more information I’m sure you can find it on reddit, since this forum is new and it lacks a WORKING FLUCKING SEARCH OPTION.

It’s power damage is decent, and in order to reach high numbers a player must do things like rotating the camera in stupid ways.

It’s condi damage (few bleeds and poisons, no access to burn) is mediocre at best, see the Venom share threads.

In order to reach the highest DPS so that you can contribute Something(your damage) to your group you will have to go full out DPS resulting in having 11k HP. GL with that.

Unless you will do you own testing, dps calculations and raid/fractals / world event monitoring with different professions under different setups (as I did) you can only read different threads to try to form an opinion.

So it is my opinion that Thief is not in a good place now for top PvE (Raids). I see no reason why a group leader would chose a 11k HP DPS-er with no group support. Why not chose a warrior or a Revenant who can output the same DPS by pressing #1, but have GREAT group support, almost Double HP and heavy armor?

I am aware that I may be wrong, and I really hope I am, since Thief is the profession that I enjoyed most in the past. But that hope (that I am wrong) is so tiny that I decided I won’t be a burden for my raid group and I won’t roll with a thief in raids.

/facepalm

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

Good news, you ARE wrong!

The 11.5k Health is really a non-issue for raids if you run Invigorating Precision. 11.5k Health gets healed up really nicely when you’re criting for over 30k per second with some attacks. Plenty of times I’m the last one alive on VG wipes.

The constant steam of health, over abundance of dodge options (steal recovers a dodge, heal recovers two dodges, etc) and the fact that our dodge is also a dps tool … it just works so well.

For raid composition, if I’m building my full dps group, I’d want:

Herald, for extending every other member’s boons at key moments, contributing good dps, and potentially protection uptime if required.

Druid, for some healing and most importantly contributing their unique damage buffs, could even be berserker as far as I’m concerned, since Tempest is the better raw healer with better protection uptime that could be “ungrouped” to aid in their healing role.

Ditto for Phalanx Strength warrior for banners and might.

Lastly, a Chronomancer to keep up near permanent quickness if coordinating with the Herald. Makes the best tank option as well in “Commander” gear for boon uptime, small toughness, and still good damage.

This leaves a last spot to fill. You can place a Dare Devil staff thief in here for maximum damage, or if more AOE spread damage is needed, Tempest is a close second to Dare Devil (35 to 40k Vaults are hard to compete with!).

I dont NEED a second Herald on that group. Nor a second Druid. Nor a second Warrior. A Sinister Engineer would be an option if more condi is needed and the fight is stationary enough OR we need a lot more break bar. Second Chrono is a waste in the same group, a DPS guardian isnt really the best fit here either, better for group two’s ranged roles if needed for more security and safety while still doing good berserker damage.

But if our main issue is we need more consistent, reliable, GOOD melee damage? Dare Devil. Every. Single. Time.

The only time I would consider a Dare Devil to be a poor choice is if future content ever:

Has un-critable mechanics.

Has a VERY small hit box, making Weakening Charge less reliable.

Has a pulsing melee unavoiable aoe mechanic that makes melee nearly impossible, but even then, the damage would have to outpace the self healing from Invigorating precision, which is going to be quite high.

To put things in perspective, my Dare Devil can sit in the light up areas on VG and out heal the damage by simply continuing the DPS rotation on the boss.

Long story short, while “they only provide selfish damage” might be the “only” thing Dare Devil brings with their staff build … its enough. It really, truly is. Once you have all your “essential” things met, its simply the best thing to bring into the group for maximum efficiency of damage output.

Its going to take all those banners, spirits, damage enhancements, might, etc and put them to better use than anyone else as the final member.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I shall log back in again @Swiftwynd OP probably has access to HoT but I laughed every time someone asked if thief is worth it and the only positive responses are :"But DD has..." especially to returning players even more for PvE.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Galandil.9641

I shall log back in again @Swiftwynd OP probably has access to HoT but I laughed every time someone asked if thief is worth it and the only positive responses are :“But DD has…” especially to returning players even more for PvE.

In all honesty, it’s not limited to thief/DD, it’s true all-around for any class, elite specs >>>>> base classes.

Sadly.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

The 11.5k Health is really a non-issue for raids if you run Invigorating Precision. 11.5k Health gets healed up really nicely when you’re criting for over 30k per second with some attacks. Plenty of times I’m the last one alive on VG wipes.

God, I must be playing this game wrong – 30k crits per second… how the kitten do get that? Vault?

Btw, is it really 30k per second…? Or do you just mean 30k on some attacks…

Like you know, if you crit once for 30k over the span of 30 seconds while doing 3-4k other times, you can’t really call that 30k per second…. however if you do 900k (total) damage in over the span of 30 seconds, then yes that’s 30k per second…
Or do you mean 30k crit in one second and you consider it as 30k per second? That’s just a burst/damage of 1 skill, not your actual dps in the span of the whole fight. We really need dps meters (there is one actually, need to give it a try), since there’s also the issue of dealing with boss mechanics along with dodging and positioning….

Measuring – using the dps meter – on golems in the sPvP lobby also doesn’t give exact numbers, since the stats are a bit different and they’re stationary, likewise going out in PvE and measuring on champs that don’t have many/any mechanics…. I remember in wow, on target dummies melee classes would out-dps ranged/casters in some cases (on some patches… blah blah blah), and that was to account for the dps lose in the actual fight for when they had to deal with mechanics. Like for instance, look at noxxic dps rankings there’s one for “maximum” and then there’s one for “realistic” – and even then, I doubt that it accounts for all the fights and their mechanics…

Join the TEEFs!

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

So, the way I read that is every 48 seconds it dealt 80k, so the dps (damage per second) over the span of 48 seconds is 1,666/sec.

If you mean, while doing damage over 48 seconds you somehow crit for 80k, then the dps over the span of 48 seconds is (80000+x)/48, where x is the other damage dealt besides the 80k crit.

If you’re trying to say that the thief deals 80k dps over the span of 48 seconds, that would be that in total the thief would need to do (80k/sec * 48sec) 3,840,000 damage. To verify, you take 3,8400,000 damage and divide by 48 seconds, giving you 80,000 damage per second… So each second the thief would need to do 80k damage…. or well 4k damage in 1 attack and then 156k damage on another attack over the span of 2 seconds to give it 80k dps….

Now, I’m not saying it’s impossible, because if you have enough critters around, you can definitely boost your dps to 80k or even more.

Join the TEEFs!

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

Attachments:

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

Okay troll.
Nn.

Smh. I’ll just assume you’ve never played a Theif and leave it at that.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Best thing about a thief (well Dare Devil) is the fantastic movement speed. Everything else about the class is done better by some other class. Not just a bit better but significantly better.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Doggie.3184

Best thing about a thief (well Dare Devil) is the fantastic movement speed. Everything else about the class is done better by some other class. Not just a bit better but significantly better.

I used to think it was fantastic till I entered spvp and realized how much taking Dash over Bound gimps your damage and never allows you to kill anyone. ;/

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

God, I must be playing this game wrong – 30k crits per second… how the kitten do get that? Vault?

Like you know, if you crit once for 30k over the span of 30 seconds while doing 3-4k other times, you can’t really call that 30k per second…. however if you do 900k (total) damage in over the span of 30 seconds, then yes that’s 30k per second…
Or do you mean 30k crit in one second and you consider it as 30k per second? That’s just a burst/damage of 1 skill, not your actual dps in the span of the whole fight. We really need dps meters (there is one actually, need to give it a try), since there’s also the issue of dealing with boss mechanics along with dodging and positioning….

Measuring – using the dps meter – on golems in the sPvP lobby also doesn’t give exact numbers, since the stats are a bit different and they’re stationary, likewise going out in PvE and measuring on champs that don’t have many/any mechanics…. I remember in wow, on target dummies melee classes would out-dps ranged/casters in some cases (on some patches… blah blah blah), and that was to account for the dps lose in the actual fight for when they had to deal with mechanics. Like for instance, look at noxxic dps rankings there’s one for “maximum” and then there’s one for “realistic” – and even then, I doubt that it accounts for all the fights and their mechanics…

25 might 25 vuln on raid bosses with banners, warrior strength buff, rev ferocity buff, and smatter in some druid buffs and it is certainly possible and common.

Weakening Charge does rediculously good damage in these conditions against big boddied raid bosses. Be sure to use Seaweed Salad as well and keep yiur health high for scholar runes and other traits.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Both Weakening Charge and Vault can hit in the 30-35k range with a full suite of buffs (full might and vulnerability, banners, empower allies + assassin’s presence, grace of the land), and even a bit harder if you can get a frost spirit working. Each has a cast time right around a second. Buff stacking makes a big, big difference.

Well, again, it depends largely on what kinds of external buffs you are getting. With permanent quickness, good use of Fist Flurry, and the above buffs a thief can crank out roughly 24k DPS on paper, which isn’t slouching by any measure and is more than enough to succeed at raid fights.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

How I feel about this thread:

Attachments:

Just another noob thief…

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Thief is both fun and worth playing. It’s a class based on agility rather than armor, so when you take hits, they hurt a LOT. Thieves also have respectable spike damage and the best stealth mechanics in the game. They take more finesse to play than the usual Warriors, Heralds, Guardians, and so forth, but I still believe they’re viable as well as fun with unique advantages to offer teams.

They’re worth maining, I’d say.

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Both Weakening Charge and Vault can hit in the 30-35k range with a full suite of buffs (full might and vulnerability, banners, empower allies + assassin’s presence, grace of the land), and even a bit harder if you can get a frost spirit working. Each has a cast time right around a second. Buff stacking makes a big, big difference.

Well, again, it depends largely on what kinds of external buffs you are getting. With permanent quickness, good use of Fist Flurry, and the above buffs a thief can crank out roughly 24k DPS on paper, which isn’t slouching by any measure and is more than enough to succeed at raid fights.

So, it’s nice that both charge and vault can hit for 30-35k, each having ~1s cast time, meaning doing both in sequence, would yeah, yield 30-35k dps. But that’s in a time frame of 2 seconds, using 2 skills… Fights last a lot longer, and what are you going to be hitting for when you’re not vaulting or charging? Gotta be some more 30-35k to upkeep that 30-35k dps (remember 30-35k each second, to have a 30-35k dps)…

On paper. That’s good for you to get a start on what to test…

Join the TEEFs!

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

Using Vault in place back to back feels like it completes faster than 1 second for each use so that should be considered.

We need some actual video timing evidence though.

A nice and not insignificant bonus is that daredevils can maintain their dps while repositioning for mechanics with minimal loss since they can bound away and vault back in, or double Vault to use up initiative before running to kill a cannon kn sabetha for example, then use vault steal or shadowstep to quickly get back on the boss

(edited by Swiftwynd.1685)

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Coltaine.7094

Coltaine.7094

Just yes – i love it! not easy to play though. but dd with staff & 2 pistols is pure fun. i spare you all the fancy technical part about how much dmg & why & kitten . The short version is – if you learn to handle this class you will have a great gw2 time

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

pvp: you will need long years of mastering class only to get killed vs newbs with DH/Druid/ETC
PvE: Dungeons/fractals on dungs ur ok , higher lvl of fractals its better to spec Condi but still ok’ish
Raids: u gonna get kicked alot, kittenty dps kittenty team help, even kittentier survi.

WvW your king of trolling, oppresor of dumb enemies(99% of wvw players) go p/p proplexity thief or ghost thief for maximum troll, Remember as long as enemy has any sign of brain you gonna lose or will be ignored, BUT BUT BUT if they dont you gonna make them cry and ruin thier lifes.

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

Theif worth playing?

in Thief

Galandil.9641

PvE: Dungeons/fractals on dungs ur ok , higher lvl of fractals its better to spec Condi but still ok’ish
Raids: u gonna get kicked alot, kittenty dps kittenty team help, even kittentier survi.

Pls refrain from spouting non-sense about raids and high lvl fractal (post 1 dec patch).