Thief Dungeon Support?

Thief Dungeon Support?

in Thief

Posted by: Potato.7318

Potato.7318

So I like to run a lot of dungeons and I also main a thief. I am not trying to say thieves have no place in dungeons, but to say that there are a lot of reasons to choose other professions over them. I know that thieves could potential have the highest dps with an elementalist conjured weapon, but they don’t have much to contribute to the team outside of stealth and blinds.

And no, I am not really interested in a venom share because I don’t believe it’s ideal for speed clearing. And I am also not interested in boon stealing as most enemies do not have boons to begin with.

Several reasons to take ranger over thief is for Spotter and Frost spirit traited with vigorous spirits. An elementalist has might and fury stacking along with the conjured weapons. Mesmers have a lot of utility with stuff like time warp, reflects, and aoe condition removal. Engineers can help maintain 25 stacks of vulnerability. Warriors have banners, empowered allies, shouts and guardians have reflects, condition removal, aegis and etc…

Do thieves need more tools to provide group dps? What do you guys think?

Thief Dungeon Support?

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I suspect that thieves are intended to bring more condition effects against enemies as support (rather than boons for the group). In that respect, venoms and traps are a pretty much failing and need sorting out. Utilities with knockdowns, cripples, freeze, weakness, poison, immobilize etc are currently just not worth a slot. Traps need a total rethink and venoms need to be worth a slot even without venom sharing.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

Thief Dungeon Support?

in Thief

Posted by: Potato.7318

Potato.7318

For fractal runs, for like lvl 40+, a thief can bring a decent amount of weakness on mobs with the aoe shortbow and the trait in the deadly arts line to largely mitigate the damage, but on champions/bosses the duration is cut in half. And blinds are 10% effective and the condition is remove even if it lands.

It is possible that they intended to bring the condition effects as a supporty type build as they buffed the venom share build. I just wished it wasn’t so bad.

Thief Dungeon Support?

in Thief

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Stealth and blinds are pretty good support tools. Granted, engineers have a lot of it too without having to dedicate a slot to it but there are still plenty of situations where you can make use of the thief’s longer-duration and faster-application stealths.

Thief Dungeon Support?

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I switch out alot between sets but I usually use x/p and shortbow.

Head Shot would be spammed to punch through Defiant and Black Powder to keep downed players from dying too quickly. When the group was having a hard time I would try to draw aggro with stealth blasts while using clusterbomb to help me regen some health back.