Thief POI

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

S/D-Sbow

DA/CS/acro-Trick-DD with bound, escapist absolution and weakness on crit

Shadow step, shadow refuge and bandits defense or impairing daggers, but ing signet is still better prolly ( i’ll prefer bandit’s defense)

That’s the only build that will ever see the light in PvP.

It may be good tho

Staff is terrible and, as i said before, people will just end spamming vault till no ini, cuz other moves are crap.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Staff is terrible and, as i said before, people will just end spamming vault till no ini, cuz other moves are crap.

It is?

Don’t you need experience with something to make such a declarative statement? How long did you play around with it in game before you reached your conclusion?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The only problem I have is that the 3rd hit of the autoattack looks a bit clunky. I would have preferred if it looked like Revenant’s chain all the way through.

Other than that, I’m really impressed! I can see myself using this in all modes, and new PvE rotations can be really fun!

Also the Finisher part should be cleaned up a bit. Have it so that it starts with the jump up instead of the arm raise in to the jump up, and if the animation has to be a little bit slower then do that. It will look much smoother that way.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Andlat Helsonr.1284

Andlat Helsonr.1284

Using vault looks like an excellent way to get yourself killed. It should probably go back to 6 ini but get an evade.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

S/D-Sbow

Shadow step, shadow refuge and bandits defense or impairing daggers, but ing signet is still better prolly ( i’ll prefer bandit’s defense)

It may be good tho

I thought about DA/Acro/DD, DA/Trickery/DD, CS/Acro/DD or Acro/Trickery/DD for WvW Solo Roaming with S/D, SB
Shadow Step, Distracting Daggers, Bandits Defense (maybe, need to check for good damage combos after that, fist flurry would help but 3 physical skills nah thanks 2 seem too much already)
Interrupt build that still has a lot of evades and survivability

PvP, Teef & Engi

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

S/D-Sbow

It may be good tho

I disagree. You can’t defend a node with S/D + SB. Staff will allow you to defend what you captured since you rely less on stealth.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

from what I’ve seen on PoI, i’d suggest the following:

Staff

• targets – if it’s an AoE weapon, give it 5 targets on all AoE skills. 3 targets isn’t much, and we already get a 3-target evadey weapon in the sword. thought all AoE weapons got 5 targets, not 3. my bad
  • Dust Strike – as has been suggested, a smoke field would combo nicely here.
  • Vault – happy to hear about the initiative reduction, seems fitting

Physicals

• Channeled Vigor – [more question than feedback] the PoI didn’t make it clear – can we move while using this? if not, that’d be bad – the last thing we need is rooted.
  • Bandit’s Defence – not so happy about the cooldown increase, as we could’ve used the extra defence, but I can understand it given the knockdown. I was thinking of this as a block, not really considering the stunbreak/knockdown parts
  • Distracting Daggers – I don’t really get the duration on this? it feels like it should work like mantras, where the cooldown happens after the charges are used up.
  • Finishing Blow – firstly, this feels a tad PvP-centric, as the finsiher isn’t as useful in PvE, but the damage is nice.
    - also, the animation doesn’t help. it seems like we got a finisher with extras, rather than a phyisical that can finish. I think a more phyisical-style animation would be more appropriate, and make more sense outside of PvP.
    - suggestion for the above – the warrior’s stomp skill has a much more appropriate animation, which uses the body to physically stomp.

(edited by Gray.9041)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodyx.5946

Bloodyx.5946

I was distracted, did they mention if Bound breaks stealth on hit when comboing? Or it will work like heartseeker? It looks great and the damage is solid, so I hope I can synergize it with my build.

It works the same as Heartseeker.

omg a dev… its been a long while

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Only two things I kind of don’t like about the elite spec/staff:

- The heal skill: It will never be used, at the very least in combat, simply because it’s a channeling spell, which makes us stationary. Considering we really don’t have any passive defenses, when we’re not dodging or stealthing, we’re taking hits… Perhaps add a protection boon for the duration of the channel OR give aegis per pulse as well. Withdrawal, in my opinion, outclasses this heal and fits the theme more.

- Staff leap: The #5 leap on the staff looks a bit slow… Not sure what the intentions are for it, but it looks a bit lackluster as a movement/getting around the map skill. I’m not even sure if we can go up edges with it… Perhaps speed up the animation? Combat wise, it’s probably good as it is, but movement wise… doesn’t seem like from the stream.

Well, anxious to see the hard content PoI tomorrow! Only thing that’s holding me back from getting the game. I think I’m pretty sold on the thief prof, despite the acro gutting, which hopefully I will get over it just like I have(n’t) gotten over ascended.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

Staff

• targets – if it’s an AoE weapon, give it 5 targets on all AoE skills. 3 targets isn’t much, and we already get a 3-target evadey weapon in the sword.
  • Dust Strike – as has been suggested, a smoke field would combo nicely here.

Physicals

• Bandit’s Defence – not so happy about the cooldown increase, as we could’ve used the extra defence, but I can understand it given the knockdown.
  • Distracting Daggers – I don’t really get the duration on this? it feels like it should work like mantras, where the cooldown happens after they charges are used up.

Most “AoE” melee weapons only hit 3 target’s, take a look at guardian Greatsword or Warrior Greasword! I do think Vault should hit 5, not sure if it did.

Dust Strike should in no way become a smoke field, since suddenly staff also turns into a stealth based weapon, which ain’t the intention of the entire evadey high risk elite spec as I see it. Futhermore, if it did, the stealth attack would need some serious nerfing, 2 seconds knockdown is only “fine” (barely) cause the staff it self have no in build stealth. Take a look at sword, a 1 second Daze.

Bandit’s Defence should at least be 15 seconds, if not 20 second! The Berzekers new 10 second stunbreak, which is only a stunbreak, were recived as borderline OP. This 10 second stunbreak, into a block that does a knockdown is just bunkers o.o But I think 15 seconds is fine to toy around with for the first beta.

Distracting Daggers should not work like a mantra, it would be plain silly to copy Mantra of Distraction! It’s allready in a salty spot for most mesmer players sinces it comes with a default 3 casts (compared to mantra 2), a 1 second charge (compared to 2,5 sec cast) and build in power block increased cooldown on interrupted skill. The only thing makeing it “ok”, is it’s 900 range, and you can actually dodge it + the 15 sec window span you have to use it in

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

Where can I see the staff thief poi? I missed it and now there’s a Guardian on the stream …

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Hey Karl, kudos to you and the devs working on this spec. However I noticed that during the stream impairing daggers cost initiative, is that intended?

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Over 5000 hours on my thief

I feel you Aiki i’m just re-rolling to Rev since daredevil looks incredibly boring man. Even if i used it i wouldn’t take the staff. Potentially Perma-weakness is some cheesy game-play too power V power.

Why bother dealing with any of the typical thief life problems when you can just re-roll to a better class at this point.

All of you people who are buying into this “evade hype” seem to be forgetting about guardian circles/lines and ele lines or are just pvers.

Staff daredevil is for bunker-like builds, it’s basically an evasion tank by definition. Bunker builds do very low damage.

Currently that’s something a normal thief can’t do.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

A Red Post if all we ever asked for and wanted for so long

Now we’re content for the next 3 years of isolation.<3

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: GragorR.9768

GragorR.9768

Over 5000 hours on my thief

I feel you Aiki i’m just re-rolling to Rev since daredevil looks incredibly boring man. Even if i used it i wouldn’t take the staff. Potentially Perma-weakness is some cheesy game-play too power V power.

Why bother dealing with any of the typical thief life problems when you can just re-roll to a better class at this point.

All of you people who are buying into this “evade hype” seem to be forgetting about guardian circles/lines and ele lines or are just pvers.

Staff daredevil is for bunker-like builds, it’s basically an evasion tank by definition. Bunker builds do very low damage.

Currently that’s something a normal thief can’t do.

IMO all the evasion means the class still retains it’s high skill ceiling. Time your skills right and you can mitigate the damage even if running in zerker gear. Tricky yes, but seems doable. Fits perfectly with my vision for thieves going foward.

Also a wild Dev appears! Woot!

- BG -

Thief POI

in Thief

Gray.9041

Most “AoE” melee weapons only hit 3 target’s, take a look at guardian Greatsword or Warrior Greasword! I do think Vault should hit 5, not sure if it did.

that’s a fair point, I didn’t realise that other AoE weapons only targeted 3 enemies. could’ve sword it was 5.

Bandit’s Defence should at least be 15 seconds, if not 20 second! The Berzekers new 10 second stunbreak, which is only a stunbreak, were recived as borderline OP. This 10 second stunbreak, into a block that does a knockdown is just bunkers o.o But I think 15 seconds is fine to toy around with for the first beta.

I think there’s also a little context to be taken into account here – a stun on a warrior is a slight advantage. a stun on a thief can be downright lethal.

also, bundling all three things into one skill makes it tricky. if I had to put numbers on it, I’d say 10s on the block, 15s on the stunbreak and 20s on the knockdown – but you can’t really balance it like that. I was more looking at the block part when I mentioned this.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Hey Karl, kudos to you and the devs working on this spec. However I noticed that during the stream impairing daggers cost initiative, is that intended?

i did not notice that…

Karl?!

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Overworld.9613

Overworld.9613

Disrupting daggers needs to stick around more than 15 seconds. It’s basically a mantra that throws a dodgeable projectile.

The visual effect allows the enemy to see when it is cast, and exactly how many daggers you have left, which is good for counterplay, but IMO 15s is too short to get good use out of it.

Since it tosses a counterable projectile, and the enemy can easily predict when we have the ability to use it due to the visible daggers, why doesn’t it just work like a mantra with an icon visible to the enemy? Heck, you could even greatly increase the cast time to balance that if you wanted, but 15s isn’t really enough to use it as pressure, or successfully interrupt.

15s is actually a sensible amount, it’s to stop thief players from setting up the daggers too far out of combat and not giving enough information to their opponents. Will have to wait till the BWE to see if it’s cooldown is solid, but maybe a 2/3rds cooldown if you prep the daggers and don’t use them?

Secretly creative

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

The healing skill is pathetic, it will get the thief killed. They seriously need to rework it from scratch.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Where can I see the staff thief poi? I missed it and now there’s a Guardian on the stream …

Dulfy has it at http://dulfy.net/2015/08/28/gw2-daredevil-thief-elite-specialization-livestream-notes/

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I agree the healing skill has some issues. It roots, it shines a big light on “I am helplessly healing,” and it doesn’t thematically fit with the rest of the utilities; it looks like the Thief decided to be a Guardian for a bit. I suppose they chose the root to offset the endurance gain rather than add yet more dodge, but I hope it’s one of the things Karl mentioned as having already been changed or updated.

Thief POI

in Thief

Lyger.5429

I think the simplest way to fix the heal skill is to add a ground targeted shadow step to the heal upon activation then the skill flips over to the normal heal. This is probably the solution with the least amount of work involved if they want to keep everything the same. Even simpler is a heal that just shadow steps away and heals.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I’m just worried this extra evasion will take the same route s/d did and get nerfed. I still would like to see efforts made towards d/d, s/p, p/p, and p/d to be a little more up to par, not just the weapon skills but the playstyles and their respective options to build with them.

Just out of curiosity, did they nerf acro so hard because of this spec?

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Include SE,CiS and SRej and it’s obvious. Ignoring the base class and making a good elite spec is worse than making a bad elite spec.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

The heal skill is fine, thief unlike most classes has the ability to protect it (using it while sitting in stealth, after disengaging with Infiltrator’s Return). It’s power level when used in that way is quite good. If you want a heal to use without disengaging, use Withdraw like you always have.

Thief POI

in Thief

Gray.9041

The heal skill is fine, thief unlike most classes has the ability to protect it (using it while sitting in stealth, after disengaging with Infiltrator’s Return). It’s power level when used in that way is quite good. If you want a heal to use without disengaging, use Withdraw like you always have.

so you need a specific weapon (sword) and a specific utility skill (some kind of stealth) to get a single heal skill to work passingly? that seems like a bad skill.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

You need to have either a sword or dagger equipped, or you can use any of the three strongest utilities in the game. Take your pick.

(edited by Ensign.2189)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

S/D-Sbow

It may be good tho

I disagree. You can’t defend a node with S/D + SB. Staff will allow you to defend what you captured since you rely less on stealth.

S/D never relied on stealth in the first place.

Thief role has never been to defend nodes in the first place.

Bound dodge is for stealthless builds anyway since damage will get u revealed in no time.

It will probably be the highest possible damage a thief could achieve.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Well looks like I save myself a lot of money regearing for a staff build…what I see is hardly exciting and unless it is really powerful I will be sticking to d/p (or d/d when I can get away with it) and shortbow instead.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

This is the thief I’ve always wanted, so I’m super stoked! There are many build options here, stealth and non-stealth and it’s gonna take a long time to sift through all the possibilities!

I already know my Human thief will definitely go full Unhindered Combatant.
My Charr is probably going to be more brutal with Bounding Dodger.

Do you just go full brawler at first? Interrupts? Condis? Interrupt AND Condis!? Trickster+Escapists Absolution seems like it’ll absolutely slough off condis. Withdraw and Roll For Initiative both combine enough condi clear to perhaps finally shed the yoke of Shadow Step and free up a utility slot.

I could go on at length ;p – my only concern is that the core thief may seem too weak in comparison (outside of a pure stealth build). Though I imagine that the inevitable balancing patches will even things out in the long run.

Kudos to anet on this one, it’s like they found my secret journal and learned everything I wanted in a thief.

Kole —Thief
youtube

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

More than likely.

I’m still a bit bitter about it too, since they could have improved acro to the state of the elite and made a different elite spec (tons of ideas out there). They did do an impressive job making the elite trait line coherent though.

I get the feeling that old FG would have given us 4-5 dodges with the elite spec, so an addition 1-2 dodges over not using the spec (as the old FG technically gave us 3 dodges.), so yeah, they said it had to go, probably… That or, one dev QQ’ed about another dev dodging too much…. the 3rd dev that overheard, listened and nerfed FG… true story.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Disrupting daggers needs to stick around more than 15 seconds. It’s basically a mantra that throws a dodgeable projectile.

The visual effect allows the enemy to see when it is cast, and exactly how many daggers you have left, which is good for counterplay, but IMO 15s is too short to get good use out of it.

Since it tosses a counterable projectile, and the enemy can easily predict when we have the ability to use it due to the visible daggers, why doesn’t it just work like a mantra with an icon visible to the enemy? Heck, you could even greatly increase the cast time to balance that if you wanted, but 15s isn’t really enough to use it as pressure, or successfully interrupt.

15s is actually a sensible amount, it’s to stop thief players from setting up the daggers too far out of combat and not giving enough information to their opponents. Will have to wait till the BWE to see if it’s cooldown is solid, but maybe a 2/3rds cooldown if you prep the daggers and don’t use them?

It would be sensible if:

A: the enemy coudn’t tell from your buff bar and the visual effect the daggers were equipped
B: the daggers weren’t a physical projectile that can be evaded, blocked, or reflected

There is enough built in counterplay for this ability without also saddling it with an overly short duration. In its current state it’s just not all that attractive.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

looks almost like it has potential to feel like a fighting game combo-playstyle…..no idea how good it is (damage/suitability seems strong), but looks incredibly fun to play. pair staff w/ a short bow and your evades/mobility is absurd.

some of the animations look odd/ not fluid….so hopefully they are improved before release

can’t wait for next beta to give it a spin.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

I am all for a positive role of the thief, as long as i can maintain pressure in teamfight. but i am a bit afraid about Distracting Dagger, it seems they stole a valuable utilities on Mesmer outhere. do they not learn from the tears they gatherd in the past?

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: IDICERI.4268

IDICERI.4268

I like the chain Combo’s we’ve got now.

Vault → Bandit’s Defense → Fist Flurry → Palm Strike → Impact Strike → Uppercut → Finishing Blow

Reminds me of the Assassin Combo chain in Guild Wars

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
Einstein

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Tayledras.1604

Tayledras.1604

I currently alt around on a D/D thief (relax…he just does open world stuff these days…no pvp anymore) and I frackin’ love him from an RP perspective. So my current thief won’t change.

However that said…Daredevil looks like diamonds wrapped in bacon to me so for the first time in any MMO I might make a second version of a class just to have him Daredevil spec. My current remains the charming rogue and my new guy becomes a monk/ninja sort.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

i did not notice that…

Karl?!

just saw the stream again on youtube and it was Fist Flurry that used up 4 init and not the daggers, still it makes no sense that a UTILITY skill uses init…

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Sure hope you never have to fight a Mantra mesmer! Three blasts of Mantra of Pain out of nowhere? How do you counter that!!

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Fist Flurry requiring all hits isn’t viable for pvp, even in builds for fun. Try 3 hits or more into palm strike.

Also, staff range is surprisingly low. Given staff’s lack of damage and inability to trade effectively, I feel like it should at least outrange other weapons similar to Ranger Greatsword. If it had the range advantage you might be able to play a bit of a positioning game with Weakening Charge to maintain proper range, to support this kind of play I would also try Weakening Charge as a ground targeted skill for more fine tuned positioning.

Debilitating Arc, seems a bit too weak in my opinion. I don’t know what to do to it to save its current incarnation without a redesign. Maybe try giving it lingering dark fields that you can do leap finishers on to inflict blindness?

Regarding Vault, it feels incredibly vulnerable and especially so to projectile weapons. I don’t know what to do about that, it shouldn’t get evade frames, and projectile immunity might be too strong, but I’d play around with being able to avoid normal projectiles on vault, but still being vulnerable to unblockable projectiles just to see if that’s too strong.

Channeled Vigor is too vulnerable, I’d like to see its activation time reduced to 1.5 seconds and have each pulse trigger every half second. I’d also play with giving it 4 pulses over 1.5 seconds and triggering a pulse on activation while adjusting the numbers on the heal and return 19 endurance per pulse.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

I was distracted, did they mention if Bound breaks stealth on hit when comboing? Or it will work like heartseeker? It looks great and the damage is solid, so I hope I can synergize it with my build.

It works the same as Heartseeker.

I dunno if you will get notified on response, but I had another concern. Say we get SA-Trick-DD (my planned build so far), with Steal giving stealth and an interrupt. Will the pulmonary damage bump us out of stealth like Mug used to? =/ Kinda worried I gotta scrap this before I even get it started.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

After watching POI and looking at the GW2 Wiki, it seems that the grandmaster traits for the elite should be in the F(#) slots.

I think the thief is getting cheated for not having this. I wouldn’t mind if they changed the steal mechanics back to what they used to be with the thief, for the daredevil, but to deny the thief with a lack of change to the prof. mech., I think is a bad idea.

I would call these mechanics “Stunts” They can still operate off of the endurance meter, still get an 50 point increase of endurance and have traits that improve the “stunts” so that player would have to pick which one of the three they could use more effectively.

I would have it-
Thief: F1(Steal) F2 (Stash Item)
Daredevil: F1 (Steal/Stash) F2 (Dash) F3 (Impaling Lotus) F4 (Bound)

I would change the skills to look like:

Dash-
Gain swiftness, then rush forward and evade attacks.
Swiftness (8s): 33% Movement Speed
Evade: ¾s
Distance Traveled: 130

Impaling Lotus-
Hurl damaging daggers at multiple targets
Damage: 50
Number of Targets: 3
Radius: 600
Distance Traveled: 300
Combo Finisher: Whirl

Bound-
Leap at a target and deliver a massive blow to enemy.
Damage: 465
Number of Targets: 1
Radius: 180
Distance Traveled: 150
Combo Finisher: Leap

I would have the grandmaster traits:
Bounding Dodger-
Your Bound ability deals damage to the area after you evade. Double the distance traveled and increase the number of targets to 5.

Lotus Training-
When using Impaling Lotus, evade attacks and dealing multiple conditions to enemies.

Unhindered Combatant-
Increase range on your dash ability and removes inhibiting conditions.

This way if you want simply dodge like you usually do, you can. If you want to use a “stunt” instead, you can too. It doesn’t change much from what the current proposal is for the Daredevil, except you won’t be able to steal like a normal thief, but you will be able to use all stunts once you specialize in the elite, without the perks unless you have the grandmaster trait for them.

I like this idea.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

After watching POI and looking at the GW2 Wiki, it seems that the grandmaster traits for the elite should be in the F(#) slots.

I think the thief is getting cheated for not having this. I wouldn’t mind if they changed the steal mechanics back to what they used to be with the thief, for the daredevil, but to deny the thief with a lack of change to the prof. mech., I think is a bad idea.

I would call these mechanics “Stunts” They can still operate off of the endurance meter, still get an 50 point increase of endurance and have traits that improve the “stunts” so that player would have to pick which one of the three they could use more effectively.

I would have it-
Thief: F1(Steal) F2 (Stash Item)
Daredevil: F1 (Steal/Stash) F2 (Dash) F3 (Impaling Lotus) F4 (Bound)

I would change the skills to look like:

Dash-
Gain swiftness, then rush forward and evade attacks.
Swiftness (8s): 33% Movement Speed
Distance Traveled: 130

Impaling Lotus-
Hurl damaging daggers at multiple targets
Damage: 50
Number of Targets: 3
Radius: 600
Distance Traveled: 300
Combo Finisher: Whirl

Bound-
Leap at a target and deliver a massive blow to enemy.
Damage: 465
Number of Targets: 1
Radius: 180
Distance Traveled: 150
Combo Finisher: Leap

I would have the grandmaster traits:
Bounding Dodger-
Your Bound ability deals damage to the area after you evade. Double the distance traveled and increase the number of targets to 5.

Lotus Training-
When using Impaling Lotus, evade attacks and dealing multiple conditions to enemies.

Unhindered Combatant-
Increase range on your dash ability and removes inhibiting conditions.

This way if you want simply dodge like you usually do, you can. If you want to use a “stunt” instead, you can too. It doesn’t change much from what the current proposal is for the Daredevil, except you won’t be able to steal like a normal thief, but you will be able to use all stunts once you specialize in the elite, without the perks unless you have the grandmaster trait for them.

I like this idea.

I think changing Dodge is better, it’s different and more interesting than just giving different F skills. I’m more than happy with the choice to make Daredevils new mechanics be dodge mechanics. To each their own.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Changing profession F skills isn’t mandatory for Elite Specialisations. The stuff we got is insanely cool and honestly I pity most of the other professions. We don’t need our F skills to change. The GM traits are a fantastic way to customise.

Something as simple as an increased Endurance meter is all we need. Look at Overloads for Ele. They are universally disliked and nobody wants to use them. An overhaul like that isn’t something I feel we need.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

I don’t get that… there is a huge difference in changing the F1-F4 abilities for Ele or F1-F3 Guardian then what I’m proposing. My idea is more like the Mesmer where your adding an F5 ability. I’m simply adding F abilities so that people can still use a normal dodge if they wanted to and use each of the grandmaster trait abilities at a deficit. I don’t think Daredevils should have to choose if they want to dash, dodge, or bound. I can understand specializing in one or the other, but to choose…. They’re DAREDEVILS!!!

(edited by VocalThought.9835)

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

Did DB just reflect projectiles? I think I saw it at 25:10 or so on the PoI stream.

Thief POI

in Thief

Lyger.5429

i did not notice that…

Karl?!

just saw the stream again on youtube and it was Fist Flurry that used up 4 init and not the daggers, still it makes no sense that a UTILITY skill uses init…

Actually I think both imparing and fist used it. Most likely a bug though.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Karl McLain

Previous

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

i did not notice that…

Karl?!

Totally a bug.

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

Karl,

Any core adjustments to Thief traits, skills, base stats (HP, Initiative) planned?

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: reinforever.8902

reinforever.8902

i did not notice that…

Karl?!

Totally a bug.

Can you save the third part of the new elite for a short period of time or does the chain automatically go through itself?

Thief POI

in Thief

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Lol. People surprised to see Dev post in thief forum after Thief POI.