Thief & Poison Duration

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: Mange.8324

Mange.8324

So our feat to add 33% poison duration is kind of lackluster due to the amount of condition removals in game and the fact that it will almost never see it’s entire duration play out.

So a couple of things came to mind to back poison a little stronger.

A) Poison intensity increases by 10% as the duration ticks, first tick is 100 damage for example. The second is 110 damage, third is 120 damage and so on. I would cap the damage at 100-150% though.

B) Poison doesn’t remove on down, but instead the duration left is halved.

Of course the first change would probably apply to every class but I wouldn’t mind having it tied into thieves poison duration increase and excluding other poison professions…. wouldn’t mind at all!

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

Nothing to see here folks, just another poor suggestion placed in the wrong forum. Move along, move along.

Oh but it’s so hard not to L2P everyone!!!

33% Poison duration “woop de doooo” yes, sometimes you won’t need this. However considering with Deadly Arts, Steal applies a 10 second Poison, and you can get enough traits to stack duration up +100% and more, it makes it very viable for making sure your enemy is not able to heal effectively. Poison isn’t meant to kill anyone, it’s meant to reduce their heal. I know you want to Poison a bad player and watch his health go from 100% to dead in 60 seconds, but that’s not it’s use. Use it to keep good players from using their heals. This also means the Poison from your Dagger autoattack Lotus Strike lasts longer. I mean come on, tons of use as is, and just needs to be placed in the right hands.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Mange.8324

Placed in the wrong forum? I normally wouldn’t waste a finger muscle responding to a random troll post like this but since you were the first to post I may as well use you for a cheap bump. If you are using 33% poison duration you’re either messing around with random builds or you don’t know what Mugging does. You NEVER need it even with a poison build. If you factor in the amount of time poison lasts, how often you can apply it, and the fact that people only use it for the heal reduction at the moment it’s clear you don’t need a 33% increase.

In 60 seconds how would someone die from poison alone, are you basing this on a player not being able to use his heal or something?
Just cut it out that was a awful troll lol you are bad if you really believe this feat is really helping THAT much. It’s almost pointless like your reply.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

No joke Vexus. Half the time I’m amazed at how much people heal even WITH my poison ticking on them.

However, Mange has a point. The trait to increase duration is on the weak side, especially considering how many different ways thieves have to apply poison.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

What do you expect from tier 1 trait?

Signed, level 1 alt

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

The trait is fine. With a bit more help from runes/sigils it really helps bump the 2 second poison on dagger’s auto attack to 3 seconds poison, which makes it easy to maintain constantly.

Also, if you make someone run out of their condition removers (which you should aim to do as a condition specced thief), you can get a 16+ second poison running on them using steal, which means even if they try to run away from the fight they’ll have a terrible time trying to heal up.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

What do you expect from tier 1 trait?

I expect them to be good enough that it may be a tough decision whether you want to go a full 30 in a second line, or go for another 10 in an extra line. For instance, in TOR’s talent systems it is sometimes a better idea not to go for the top tier talents and instead to put some extra points in another tree. It used to be like this for a lot of classes in WoW as well.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: Zen.9135

Zen.9135

I like the trait with the Dagger auto attack poison + the 3 seconds weakness on poison effect. Easy to perma weakness with the Dagger.

[MF] Malum Factum | Yak’s Bend
www.malumfactum.com

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Mange.8324

You really don’t need to waste a trait point to avoid .5 secs of downtime on the 15 point feat. That’s just how I see it but I like to play my characters efficiently. I can’t see a instance where you’d only use auto attack anyways as far as “perma weakness” goes.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

You don’t have to only use your auto attack to cause perma weakness. As a condition build you use death blossom for example, and when you’re out of initiative you use the auto attack. You get enough initiative? Another death blossom and back to auto attack. This means you maintain 9~15 stacks of bleed on the target along with perma-poison and perma-weakness (this is a PvE example, mind you). A little +condition duration (as well as this trait) makes sure the weakness and poison durations will not run out.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: metaphorm.6904

metaphorm.6904

its not like there’s just this one weak trait. every class has many many weak traits. the weak ones just act as contrast to the strong ones. if everything was strong nothing would feel strong.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Dagins.5163

All tier 1 traits are weak, and all first tiers of armor runes are weak. This comes by design. It’s easier to balance.

If you don’t like it, pick backfighting. This very situational trait saved my life a few times in PvP, just like descent of shadows, which is also a very situational tier 1 trait.

Signed, level 1 alt

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Mange.8324

Yes there are a lot of weaker traits some of which completely useless. Here’s another discussion on that.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Underpowered-Traits-and-Skills/first#post57122

metaphorm

its not like there’s just this one weak trait. every class has many many weak traits. the weak ones just act as contrast to the strong ones. if everything was strong nothing would feel strong.

Everything should be a good or at the very least a viable option, increased duration on something that never reaches it’s innate duration is useless. We are aiming for balance so if it’s weak it needs to be stronger, very simple. In comparison there will always be something weaker but it needs to still serve a purpose or be capable of shining in a different build other than whatever the cookie cutter is.

Dagins

All tier 1 traits are weak, and all first tiers of armor runes are weak. This comes by design. It’s easier to balance.

Sorry but this is not the least bit true, mugging could easily be the strongest trait in the power tree. Condition removal in shadow arts, dropping caltorps on dodge in trickery, the list of GREAT tier 1 traits is actually pretty big for the thief.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Dagins.5163

Mug – it hits for like 1,2-2,2k damage at 80 level depending on personal power and targets toughness, can crit. It has cooldown of 45 seconds. Can be dodged, missed or blocked. Valuable only for glass cannons, who go for deep deadly arts or/and critical strikes.

Shadow’s embrace – clears a condition every 3 seconds while in stealth. Entering stealth for over 3 seconds is costly, in initiative or cooldowns. It will waste stealth attack, unless traited into next shadow arts perk, which will give you extra 1 second chance for quick attack – it isn’t helping so much, because enemies are in constant movement, and can smash your face meanwhile.

In other words, it sacrifices damage or cooldowns for a single condition removal, unless helplessly camping in shadow’s refuge. I would say, situational trait.

Uncatchable – leaving caltrops every dodge, which last for 4 seconds in a very small radius. They cripple for ~1 second (for every second spent on them), are visible to enemies as red circles on the floor. Bleed damage is pitful, so it isn’t even worth mentioning. Can be leaped or dodged over. Easy to waste, not always needed – very situational.

Signed, level 1 alt

(edited by Dagins.5163)

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Posted by: obtuse.8291

obtuse.8291

sounds good, mange.

shadow’s embrace is one of the best and i usually use the 2nd slot in shadow to get it. first slot is shadow protector. why is this? i seem to clear one condition instantly and one more at the 3rd second.

I am the super thief

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Dagins.5163

Yes, I just tested it and must make a correction. Shadow’s embrace removes a condition immediately after entering stealth, what makes it good if you can spam cloaking.

Signed, level 1 alt

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Mange.8324

You need to make a few corrections and also with your stealth heal alone that’s 5 potential conditions removed. As Obtuse mentioned it clears a condition at the start and end of stealth as long as you have 15 points in SA. Maybe even without, not sure about that one..

Mug can crit for upwards of 5k without any special buffs. With the might+signet combo it can literally one shot people. Mug is valuable for any build that plans on doing damage but more so in PvP.

The caltrops may not be great, but they are still better than 33% poison duration and a majority of the feats in trickery. If you think that’s not a good example how about the 10 seconds of might fury and swiftness for everyone near you? That’s 20% more crit for you to work with on your next combo. Either way fact is a lot of our first tier traits are really good.

Thief & Poison Duration

in Thief

Dagins.5163

Shadow’s embrace clears 1 condition when entering stealth, and second if not attacking, after 3 seconds.

Mug can crit for over 5k, because there are a lot crit damage modificators in this game. If you don’t have high crit +critical damage, it will hit like a wet noodle, especially on guardians. It is great if you can finish opponent under 5 seconds, so this damage won’t be healed.

About Thrill of the crime – it looks awesome on paper, like mug. If you want to buff allies, you have to teleport into center of raid, which isn’t always a good idea for a squishy_thief (censored shy_t, lol), and it’s only 10 seconds. Personally, I would pick Merciful ambush for free trap with a thief, who can damage and AoE blind enemies, or instinctual response, if playing a glass cannon build.

Signed, level 1 alt

(edited by Dagins.5163)