Thief Profession Specialization

in Thief

Posted by: Silvercrow.1758

Silvercrow.1758

I say we should get a the ability to use great swords and go all samurai or be able to use long bows and rifles and be more sniper like.
Thoughts!?

in Thief

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

id agree with longbow only if it had slower attacks but higher damage than a ranger.

Bad Elementalist

in Thief

Posted by: Kovington.4296

Kovington.4296

Definitely believe the rifle is a lock for thief specialization. There was one official gw2 art that featured a thief-like character wielding a rifle.

Also, give us more pockets to stash our stolen items! I want to be a Hoarder!

(edited by Kovington.4296)

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

id agree with longbow only if it had slower attacks but higher damage than a ranger.

Ranger autoattack is already incredibly slow…

And the last thing I want on a thief is a slow weapon. The fast pace is one of the main reasons I play this profession.

Personally, I could see the specialization being a Swordsman or something where we get a sword offhand.

in Thief

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Only one thing would sell it for me. No ninjas, samurai or hentai.

The Witcher specialization.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Duelist – go toe-to-toe with opponents stealthless (more defenses outside of stealth), perhaps swords/greatswords.
Assassin – Just as squishy as it is now, relies on stealth (and maybe venoms), focuses on bursting down targets – and then probably dieing. Who knows what weapon.
Bandit – focuses on ambushing, trapping (since ANet has a kitten for traps… chances are there will be a trapping spec). Maybe rifle?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Demon Hunter- shape shifter with Melee and dark magic

in Thief

Posted by: Gakoriu.7296

Gakoriu.7296

I think a “Ninja” specialization is a good option to the game. Stealth and quickly hits.

What’s is yours is mine.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Well some simple possibilities~
Ninja: Dual Swords
Samurai: Greatsword
Bandit: Axes or Axe+Torch even
Assassin or Sniper: Rifle

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Until this gets beaten by a longbow skillset design, rifle will be the next one.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

No one thinks they might throw support thief a bone? Like maybe a staff thief (a caster, not melee thief). Think about the fact that 1 of the 2 specializations they mentioned was a druid for rangers, effectively making a fighter class into a caster class.

Spear fighting thief might also be a thing(a bruiser thief like others have mentioned ) if the trailer is indicative of anything.

Afaik, we don’t know how many specializations there are going to be per class, but I would think it would be at least 2 per because it would be dumb to only be able to specialize into one thing.

Also, they might have enough specializations to cover the “play how you want” phrasing with support, control, and dps specializations on each class (that might be wishful thinking)

Edit: Just to expand on what I think(hope) might happen

There would be 3 specializations per class: Control, Support, DPS
Each specialization could still use our basic setups like the current traits and weapons we have now, but would gain different things based on their specialization.

Examples (again, pure speculation and wishful thinking):

Support: Gets staff and Scepter and is a mage like class(caster)
Control:Get’s a polearm/spear, a mace, OH sword, and longbow (brawler)
DPS: Gets an Axe, Greatsword, and Rifle (Assassin)

By splitting up classes like this since the base classes are pretty decently balanced right now (especially with the might stack nerfing coming up), they could balance each specialization individually.

This would also bring them closer to all weapons for all classes like they said they wanted to do near the beginning.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

No one thinks they might throw support thief a bone? Like maybe a staff thief (a caster, not melee thief). Think about the fact that 1 of the 2 specializations they mentioned was a druid for rangers, effectively making a fighter class into a caster class.

Spear fighting thief might also be a thing(a bruiser thief like others have mentioned ) if the trailer is indicative of anything.

Afaik, we don’t know how many specializations there are going to be per class, but I would think it would be at least 2 per because it would be dumb to only be able to specialize into one thing.

Also, they might have enough specializations to cover the “play how you want” phrasing with support, tank, and dps specializations on each class (that might be wishful thinking)

Nah they love venom thief.. and since the name,utilities,traits and mechanic change it wouldn’t be thief like. Ranger didn’t had caster vibe to it but Nature Magic does so they added druid but we are not sure how many they are. Rifle thief(critical strikes) is more likely if they want something fresh or staff(acrobatics)/torch(deadly arts) even if they aren’t related to trait lines caster staff has no place how did you even came up with that lol?

Trinity is pointless in the game and I hate it, we need content that rewards different spec not a dps race like most of the pve encourages.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I also kind of wondering if we will be able to swap between specializations… It would suck a bit if we’re locked in after choosing one.

Like I know in GW1 you can swap your secondary profession, but this is a bit different.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

IF the new weapon really is rifle, then I would expect the redesigned primary mechanic to work well with it. Focusing on ranged attacks makes me think Steal is getting replaced altogether, or changed to not leave us in melee range.

Honestly, I’d be happy just tapping F1 to drop into stealth. It’s probably more complicated than that, though.

And the big question: will they still use initiative? I think yes, but there’s no guarantee.

I should be writing.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Also, they might have enough specializations to cover the “play how you want” phrasing with support, control, and dps specializations on each class (that might be wishful thinking)

Edit: Just to expand on what I think(hope) might happen

There would be 3 specializations per class: Control, Support, DPS
Each specialization could still use our basic setups like the current traits and weapons we have now, but would gain different things based on their specialization.

Examples (again, pure speculation and wishful thinking):

Support: Gets staff and Scepter and is a mage like class(caster)
Control:Get’s a polearm/spear, a mace, OH sword, and longbow (brawler)
DPS: Gets an Axe, Greatsword, and Rifle (Assassin)

By splitting up classes like this since the base classes are pretty decently balanced right now (especially with the might stack nerfing coming up), they could balance each specialization individually.

This would also bring them closer to all weapons for all classes like they said they wanted to do near the beginning.

That would actually be neat. There are a few games that do that – allowing each class to be either of the three rolls. Though I doubt they will add a taunt mechanic in. Like there’s a bit of group healing already (no single target), there just isn’t a taunt of any sort.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Also, they might have enough specializations to cover the “play how you want” phrasing with support, tank, and dps specializations on each class (that might be wishful thinking)

Nah they love venom thief.. and since the name,utilities,traits and mechanic change it wouldn’t be thief like. Ranger didn’t had caster vibe to it but Nature Magic does so they added druid but we are not sure how many they are. Rifle thief(critical strikes) is more likely if they want something fresh or staff(acrobatics)/torch(deadly arts) even if they aren’t related to trait lines caster staff has no place how did you even came up with that lol?

Trinity is pointless in the game and I hate it, we need content that rewards different spec not a dps race like most of the pve encourages.

Caster came to mind because thief and mesmer both use denial magic. Thief is a lot more melee, and mesmer a lot more caster centric. From what I’ve heard, ( haven’t hadtime to watch the whole thing yet) there was a mesmer with a shield, so maybe we can expect some blurring of lines.
PS: they brought in a whole new AI person semi recently and given some of the creatures and fights recently, there is a slight trend away from pure DPS.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Caster came to mind because thief and mesmer both use denial magic. Thief is a lot more melee, and mesmer a lot more caster centric. From what I’ve heard, ( haven’t hadtime to watch the whole thing yet) there was a mesmer with a shield, so maybe we can expect some blurring of lines.
PS they brought in a whole new AI person semi recently and given some of the creatures and fights recently, there is a slight trend away from pure DPS.

The mesmers are expecting chronomamcer but the content has to support it and we are not forced to it. Staff caster… using shadow waves maybe I don’t know didn’t manage to came up with related ones for SA or Trickery so I’ll play the waiting game.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

:/ Wonder if warriors will get the IWINBUTTON specialization.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

I really do want to see an off-hand sword; I suppose I’d still be happy with a greatsword, and possibly with an off-hand axe, but I fear we will just be getting a rifle. Along with the inevitable nerfs, of course.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

PS they brought in a whole new AI person semi recently and given some of the creatures and fights recently, there is a slight trend away from pure DPS.

The mesmers are expecting chronomamcer but the content has to support it and we are not forced to it. Staff caster… using shadow waves maybe I don’t know didn’t manage to came up with related ones for SA or Trickery so I’ll play the waiting game.

Maybe a Shadowcaster? :P

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

this coming from a thief…..
stop dude…

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I want to backstab/heartseeker someone with a greatsword – Just imagine the animations!
Other than that I’m curious how balance will turn out.

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

stop dude…

That doesn’t mean anything. This “IWINBUTTON” plays off of stealth and stealth turns bad players into deer caught in headlights because it forces the player to get off their rotation and think. Otherwise, they die.

Unlike the Warrior, who is set combat-wise since they have enough build diversity and access to every part of GW2 combat that the player doesn’t have to really think about the encounter as hard. If it wasn’t for all of the passives and immunities, warrior would be in the same boat as thief right now, to a lesser degree.

And most of the players who main other professions will tell you they don’t play warrior because it is too facerolly and easy to use or too boring because it is easy to use.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

stop dude…

I bet if I mush my IWINBUTTON on my warrior I will win faster than on my thief.

I want to backstab/heartseeker someone with a greatsword – Just imagine the animations!
Other than that I’m curious how balance will turn out.

:P There won’t be any balance at first.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

:P There won’t be any balance at first.

I think you know me pretty well ;) I know, I know.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

:D I might actually start playing is game again when the expansion comes out.

But for now, flipping and watching the precursor price drop
http://gw2legends.net/Incinerator/6YvWGjU

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Trickster use Sword/Focus

Skill 1 ,2 same old skill set
3 Infiltrating mist drop an AOE stealth field same as shadow refuge but no healing and smaller / Press 3 again to detonate mist causing you to teleport and blind nearby foe.
4 Dark Prison 1 sec cast time Immobilize then cause 2 stack of Torment.
5 Siphon speed gain vigor , swiftness boon AOE cripple , weakness on nearby foe.

in Thief

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Make one of them being an Assassin and fix the D/D #3, so we can actually look like an Assassin with the set and play it -.-

Well Idk what to expect from the specializations for the Thief, the clas already play has I want with D/P so, anything that helps has lond has I can still play with that set I’ll be happy

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

That would be a nerf actually, they would have to press a button as compared to now they just let healing signet tick.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Duelist – go toe-to-toe with opponents stealthless (more defenses outside of stealth), perhaps swords/greatswords.
Assassin – Just as squishy as it is now, relies on stealth (and maybe venoms), focuses on bursting down targets – and then probably dieing. Who knows what weapon.
Bandit – focuses on ambushing, trapping (since ANet has a kitten for traps… chances are there will be a trapping spec). Maybe rifle?

I’m for the duelist concept, but I would like to see more stress on stealth-less play in general. True assassination spike builds don’t use stealth so much as incredible gap-closing and pressure. I’d honestly forgo stealth altogether if I could still hit for backstabs, and would like to see condition removal options available for those not using Shadow Arts.

I’m hoping we don’t see a rifle spec on the basis that I feel like it would share too much with the pistol (especially P/P); emphasis on the gunpowder/blinds and sustained single-target damage is just boring, mobility doesn’t fit the rifle concept for the game/class, and we’ve already got a burst damage mechanic. While 1200 range single-target DPS is great, I feel like the similarities are too big to warrant its implementation without de-valuing P/P, and if it’s just an AOE build (which makes no sense on rifles), people would just run it for tagging and nothing else.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

I LOVE MY THIEF!!! TEEF AWAY~

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I’d honestly forgo stealth altogether if I could still hit for backstabs, and would like to see condition removal options available for those not using Shadow Arts.

That’s all I am hoping for from the specialisations.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Posted by: DesolateDunes.9526

DesolateDunes.9526

Thieves with rifles? Yes please.

I’ve made some idea’s for the skills. Range could be from 1000 to 1200.

Just to let you know, this is only a visual concept. The boons and contitions mentioned below are just for the sake of description. Well, more or less.

“Sniper assassin”

Upon entering this specialization, your “Steal” ability is replaced with “Camouflage” granting you permanent stealth but slowly consuming initiative whilst you move. Running out of initiative or shooting while in this mode makes you visible again.

1. Burst shot

Fire 3 bullets in quick succession with every third (or sixth) bullet that connects conditions your adversary with one stack of vulnerability.

Shooting from stealth could work as warriors killshot, but weaker.

2. Deceiving shot

Fire a bullet that, if it connects, teleports you behind your target, crippling him/her and granting you 3 seconds of swiftness.

3. Force field

Press a button (doh), reinforcing your rifle which projects a forward 180 degree force field to block several attacks for couple of seconds . If successful, you are granted stealth for a short time and conditioning your targets with blindness in a aoe circle when the effect ends. (That’s of course if you trigger the block)

(courtesy of asura technology. IDK)

4. Acrobatic shot

Fire a bullet and roll/evade in the direction you were running, granting you vigor (small percentage) and crippling your target for 2 seconds if landing several consecutive shots.

5. Steady shot

Line up a precise shot that scales in damage the longer you hold the button whilst draining your initiative.

Utility skills

Scout drones

Unleash 4 hovering scout drones that move away from you, scaning the area revealing your enemies in the minimap. Each of them (the drones) goes in one corner of the map and can be destroyed at any time. Let’s say one of them is destroyed at 800 units. In that case, that drone will give away enemy position at that range and no further.

Different ammo’s
Incendiary, poison etc.

I can’t think of more fleshed out utility or elite skills at this moment unfortunately.

What do you think?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

True assassination spike builds don’t use stealth so much as incredible gap-closing and pressure.

That’s very true.
I just lumped stealth into the assassin since i could really come up with another spec.

That would be a nerf actually, they would have to press a button as compared to now they just let healing signet tick.

But the problem right now is that they unintentionally win.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

I’d love it to eventually be one for every traitline per class.

Maybe like DA- rifle, though my vision is probably not your vision. I was thinking it more like an smg and all ad opposed to the benelli or Barrett.

CS- offhand sword duelist style.
SA- offhand torch or offhand scepter (more denial magic)
Acro- staff, donatello!
Trickery- axe in some fashion. Kinda lost. Felt similar with SA.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

I actually really love the idea of steady shot. It’s fair enough if I missed my shots… But what if I shot it from stealth XD? Stupid whiners will beg or countless nerfs again =.=

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I dunno. I could really get behind OH “Unarmed” as a weapon. Dirty tricks like eye-gouges and rabbit punching fools in the kidneys. Especially mixed with a heavy evade spec.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Thief

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Of all the weapons available, the next weapon set that makes the most sense for thieves to get is staff. Acrobatic staff thief. Not rifle. Rifle makes more sense with ranger. But oh well.

in Thief

Posted by: JohnnyZero.5619

JohnnyZero.5619

I want our specialization to be Gymnast, which lets us dual wield ribbons, and all our weapons skills are replaced by Death Blossom.

I Lynna I – Thief / Clownshooz – Engineer
Turbo Seksophonic – Ele / Guitar Wolfe – Mesmer
Isle of Janthir

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Claws I want claws

in Thief

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

How I image anet would do this is give us 2-3 specialization, which would mean a possibility would be a possible 3 new weapons that we might receive.

I feel that the two lines that will more than likely receive this are critical strikes and trickery, for the last one I would say it is a tie between acrobatics and deadly arts. I assume Anet (as well as most of the gw2 pvp community) does not really want to strengthen shadow arts since they have to think of both pve and pvp, but for the sake of this thread I will still list speculations for all lines.

Deadly arts

For deadly arts I think a whip would be good here it could offer a source of condis via melee weapon and some possible cc if we can use it as on off-hand weapon like a pull or bind. Although I would imagine the pull would make a great stealth skill.

Critical strikes

I also believe rifle is a good specialization for this line. I would be nice to offer up some team support/ pressure from outside the fray.

Off-hand sword would also be a good addition that could offer up more ways to block/ and give weakness to the enemy.

Shadow arts
I think a torch would work here as to give us a way to burn, blind and stealth though I feel it would be very similar to the Mesmer torch skills. =/

Acrobatics

Spear all the way here. I could be our first defensive/mobile weapon that we receive. In its weapon skill bar there could be a parrying attack, a dodging attack (similar to the ranger’s third AA skill), and a leaping skill something like a pole vault but instead of catching up to the enemy you push him away as a means of interrupting or giving yourself some distance to retreat. For the stealth skill it could be something like a shadow counter/parry such as if you block an attack while in stealth you disarm/daze the enemy for X seconds providing a means for escape/ counter attack.

Another possibility even though I fill it belongs more to the warrior class is brass knuckles. This could be used as sort of a fast AA then some cc grapple skills.

Trickery

Again I feel like the whip could go here assuming the whip was made for condi damage.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Thief

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

The new Specialization for the Thief will be the “Ninja”
He will be able to use Ninjutsu for Ranged attacks and conditions.
And he will be able to defend himself in close combat with his
new Two Handed Katana….

Scratch that… the New specialization will be the “Assassin”
Focused primarily on ranged, powerful sneak attacks with his new Rifle.
The Assassin can use the Rifle much more effectively than other classes,
allowing for a much greater range, and more hard hitting attacks.

meh… I don’t really like the thief class so i really don’t know…

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-interview/#page-2

Right bellow the HoT trailer, is a question about filling in role gaps…
I think we might be getting support, and tank/bruiser/front-liner…
Either way, would be interesting to see which gaps they identify and can fill (maybe that gap with venoms and traps that they’ve been trying to fill for the past i dont know how long).

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: UncleSwag.7930

UncleSwag.7930

Thief rifle? …
http://imgur.com/WxRJefB
eh? eh?

in Thief

Posted by: RolandMode.2749

RolandMode.2749

I’m hoping for Gunslinger with P/P and rifle and a new Traitline which brings back Ricochet. Hoping .

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

We are getting staff. There is an image for the spec in the current .dat file. Looks like melee staff (my guess is stances), though I wouldn’t complain if it ended up being a shadow magic spec.

in Thief

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

We are getting staff. There is an image for the spec in the current .dat file. Looks like melee staff (my guess is stances), though I wouldn’t complain if it ended up being a shadow magic spec.

Yeah I am kinda hoping for a shadow magic spec but if they went for acrobat that would be really awesome too. Staves have been a part of the thief since D&D because it can be disguised as a walking stick, be used to pole vault, used to reach out and push that lever on a trap from a safer distance, etc.

in Thief

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

Strikes me as unlikely. Why would they double-down on giving out Staffs as a new weapon? On two of the three medium classes, no less?

Rifle seems like the more obvious choice. I’ll be heavily disappointed if they double-dip with staffs.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Strikes me as unlikely. Why would they double-down on giving out Staffs as a new weapon? On two of the three medium classes, no less?

Rifle seems like the more obvious choice. I’ll be heavily disappointed if they double-dip with staffs.

It has never been said that the same weapon can’t be given to multiple Elite specialisations. In a situation where we eventually have multiple Elites, there wouldn’t even be enough of a selection to allow such a thing.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Well, I wouldn’t mind rifle, but with shaman’s datamine I wouldn’t hold your breath. I just hope if it’s bo staff (which will surely feel very different from druid staff) we get some “vault” skill that finally gives us a leap. Never understood why I couldn’t use heartseeker to cross gaps when so many other professions have leaping skills that let them do that.