Thief Skill suggestions

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: ShannonKasull.2091

ShannonKasull.2091

Utility

Shadow Refuge – AoE Sign and area should only be visible to allies/party

Smoke Screen – Block all types of projectiles like reflect wall instead of only low flying projectiles and also dredge shockwave(projectile)

Signet of Malice – Passive more HP per hit, Active 100% lifesteal for a certain number of hits/sec (hits seems more balanced)

Hide in Shadows – Cast time needs to be 0-0.5 sec

Assassin’s Signet – Deal 30% damage for next 3 attacks, reduce reset time

Traps – Traps needs to be AoE instead of single target, either make it castable up to 3 times or make triggering the first trap sets 3 more traps in the area randomly (we need more trap thieves, rangers and engineers have more AoE traps and status than us, what gives?)

Quickness – Should not have any drawbacks with it’s insane 60 sec cooldown, a nice midway would be either to reduce 50% endurance regen or remove all endurance, not both.

Basilisk Venom – 3 sec stone with 60 sec cooldown or total rework
Basilisk Venom Signet – Passive gives every 5th dagger attack/ 3rd Sword attack a 50% chance to inflict stone for .5 sec, active to stone for 1.5- sec with 30 sec cooldown

I like my utility skills do something about them Anet, they need alot of rework to be useful.

Shortbow

Also my pet peeve

Disabling Arrow – What gives? For an evasion skill, this should and must be working 100% of the time.
Get this working already, make this roll on the floor for 1/2 the distance of withdraw, like withdraw.
It’s just that simple comeon.

Sword

Slash – Needs to proc bleeding
Tactical Strike – Daze 2 sec from front, 1.5x damage from the side/back
Pistol Whip – 1-2 sec Daze or grants evasion during channeling or does not require channeling at all
Headshot – 1 sec Daze

Pistol

Black powder – Instead of casting a small AoE that no one is going to stand in, reduce black powder range to point blank (synergy with infiltrator’s strike) and cast a 3-5 sec smaller AoE that sticks with the target

Unload – At 5 initiative this should come with 1 vulnerability per hit, either that or reduce it to 4 initiative

Dagger

Dancing Dagger – Add a 2 initiative cost secondary skill that immobilizes the first target hit by dancing dagger for 3 sec

Death Blossom – 1/4 sec ? at least make it 1/2-1 sec, given our measly hp, we’d need it.

Lastly, this is probably not going to happen but
Shadow Step – Any shadow step skill should give either stealth or evasion

And the caveat skill to reinvigorate thieves

Introducing a new boon – Evasion (works like protection but instead can be stacked to a maximum of 3 and ticks down every 3-5 secs when not removed by attacks
Acquired when using steal, shadowstep skills, blink skills or even dodging

(edited by ShannonKasull.2091)

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

What would be great is if stealth gave “evasion” for 2-3 seconds. Assuming it works like I think you mean it works, it would stop the bullkitten stealth-deaths to after-casted channel skills.

I also agree there is now absolutely ZERO reason for Shadow Refuge to be so obviously broadcast to the enemy due to how the tripwire works. Keep the red ring on the ground or some quick visual effect, but there is zero need for the giant house icon that stays for the duration. I play both warrior and thief, and on my warrior it is brainlessly simple to absolutely F a thief over that drops Refuge.

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

ShannonKasull.2091

I’m going to say stealth does not deserve a stack of evasion, stealth in and of itself is a defensive skill that people are already complaining about, too many ways to stealth and giving it another evasion stack would really be too much OPness.

Steal/Shadowstep/Blink skills however are for escaping/engagement. What I’m trying to suggest here is to reward the use of high risk medium cooldown skills(unlike stealth which is easy to spam with dagger) which are largely underused to make them effective by providing a sort of damage mitigation.
This way even with our low hp and defense, we can more confidently engage and escape with a “backup plan”, befitting IMO for a hit and away thief.

(edited by ShannonKasull.2091)

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Domey.9804

Domey.9804

oh noes…dont give slash bleed dmg. anet will call it a massive buff but in fact its trash.
not another condi thingy on a power weapon.

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

Well the only reason I say that is because that since the beginning of time, long channel skills can still hit you even if they don’t cast until well after you have entered stealth. So you can stealth, and then a warrior can use rifle “Volley”, and you will get hit by it (and it will follow you if you move) even though you cannot be targeted. It’s a skill-less defect of the game.

Right now we have 0 stability, and lowest HP pool. “Perma-stealth” is going away, so I don’t see why giving stealth some evade is bad, even if it’s 1-2 seconds of it.

I do see your point, but in light of all the nerfing of thieves I’m at a point where I really DGAF about what the other classes will think is OP.

It’s our turn.

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

ShannonKasull.2091

The way I see it, sword MH build seems to be less favored over dagger mainly due to the iffy stealth MH skill which is largely unrewarding.
Sword set of skills also feels lackluster compared to dagger aside from infiltrator strike which also has no follow up.

By adding bleed to slash, infiltrator strike can now be followed up with bleed and cripple, and then return. This forces opponent to either use a condition remover or stay and be wary of the impending second strike.

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Revoke.1425

Revoke.1425

I like the idea of multiple usage of a trap before the skill goes on cd (with different number of usages for different traps: for example single use of shadow trap before its cd; 2 tripwire then cd; ecc)

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

Good ideas , just some adjustments and gg !

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

Shadowstep : break stun and condition cleaning should be available on both parts of the skill… Someone cast a ground target AoE condi , gg trying to clean it with shadowstep lol… Make it 2 conditions on first half and 1 condition in second half…

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I really, REALLY believe that Infiltrators Return needs to become a blast finisher for compensation on what they’ve done with it, also giving it synergy with Black Powder.

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Synesence.7546

Synesence.7546

I want SR to not pulsate, just have it drop, be visible for a second, and just grant 10 seconds of stealth and 5 seconds of regen for everyone in it.

The biggest problem I have with thieves is with condition removal. Sure, you could Shadowstep and return to have it removed, but what about when it’s on a cooldown? Pop SR and Necros will force you to run for it.

Now that permastealth is gone (Which is fine, never did use stealth that much anyways), it’s time thieves start getting more condition removal. I don’t need blocks (Maybe a skill for OH-sword if they ever give us that option), I need freaking condition removal for when running here and there won’t save me from those ticks of death.

Edit: Shadowstep idea for Dagger: Have Dancing Dagger just hit one enemy, and if it succeeds, it teleports the thief to it’s target. 600 range.

(edited by Synesence.7546)

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Some nice ideas here, some crazy.

Evasion, I really like this one, if.. it doesn’t work on ranged attack, has a set time, works like weakness just that it’s a class ability instead, not a boon, giving melee attacks on you a 50% chance to do deal a glancing blow. Could be bound to traits like Shadow Protector, gain evasiveness for 3 seconds when you enter stealth, or grandmaster trait in acrobatics, gain evasiveness for 5 seconds when you are stunned, knocked down etc. Ofc both should have a cooldown. If something like this would be introduced, I wouldn’t mind if they made our dodges more reasonable for other players to fight against.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: samanosuke.4508

samanosuke.4508

I like some of the suggestions and reckon some skills need reworking, but some of the ideas here are borderline OP.

Shadow Refuge is fine and should not be a ‘get out of jail free’ card. If you remove the AOE visibility for enemies, it will literally have zero risk for such a rewarding utility.

Traps definitely need a buff but I’m not too keen on random placements. For traps such as tripwire, it should be visible once triggered and still active for 1-2 seconds.

Basilisk Venom – one of it’s main appeal is it’s low CD (45 seconds) so any changes that will increase this is a bad thing IMO, although it should be buffed having been nerfed several times already.

Disabling Shot – definitely needs reworking so that it will actual evade when activated properly. I’d keep the distance short though as it’ll be OP as an escape chain if combo’d with regular dodges.

Black Powder. I haven’t heard many complaints about this skill and I think your suggestion is OP. If the AOE follows the opponent, he/she will literally be disabled for the duration it is active with no means of removal (as blind will be applied at every pulse). I can already see how annoying this would be.

Shadowstep idea for Dagger: Have Dancing Dagger just hit one enemy, and if it succeeds, it teleports the thief to it’s target. 600 range.

You mean like this skill, which already exists but has a 900 range and blinds?

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

Posted by: Synesence.7546

Synesence.7546

[/quote]

Shadowstep idea for Dagger: Have Dancing Dagger just hit one enemy, and if it succeeds, it teleports the thief to it’s target. 600 range.

You mean like this skill, which already exists but has a 900 range and blinds?

[/quote]

Yes, but for those utilizing D/D—actually, this would make P/D OP with skill 3 to shadowstep away and skill 4 to shadowstep back. Nevermind this idea.

The gripe I have with thieves is that we’re the most complained about class in the game for OP stealth, which will disappear come December 10th. We still lack condition removal, getting S/X’s evasion nerfed, and with the initiative nerf with Oppertunist, I honestly don’t know what Arenanet is planning to do with the thief. It’s as if they want to bring the class down to a bare minimum before they decide to make proper balances to it.

Stealth was the problem, and now it’s gone. Evasion never was and never will be a problem, and they’re taking that down as well. No idea what the thief class is going to end up at…

I posted some changes to it a while back: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Proposed-Changes-To-Thief-Changes-Next-Month/first#post3154297

Don’t think there’s anything to do for the thief for now, we’ll just have to wait and see. Most have already moved onto other classes, so my thief is just going to retire in the Shadows until….they stop with the Warrior-love.

Thief Skill suggestions

in Thief

ShannonKasull.2091

I get what you mean by saying some of these suggestions seems OP, but with respect to the current standing of the thief skills that we have now and how they hold up to some of the other classes, I think these suggestions are actually pretty contained.

Anyway, these are merely suggestions on thief skills which I feel needs some work with, would be amazing if someone from Anet actually took notice and incorporated them in future patches.