Thief Why Not Ask For a Ninja Class?

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

To begin, I’ve always asked myself Why would a Thief use Stealth in this game? Thief doesn’t Stealth. Why would they? . I can not find any Mmo’s where a Thief uses Stealth abilities. The Only Class which fits that Profile and Attributes is Ninja a.k.a Nin.
I found an interesting info. about Ninja Stealth.
http://www.cart-white.co.uk/ninja/stealth.htm

Ninja fits your Profile and Attributes Perfectly except with the Nerfs.
So if you are concerned about Stealth being Nerfed or Crippled after this patch, why Not Ask For A Ninja Class? or to be Replaced by a Ninja Class?, Than you can have all the Stealth’s etc.. you want.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Thief

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

To begin, I’ve always asked myself Why would a Thief use Stealth in this game? Thief doesn’t Stealth. Why would they? . I can not find any Mmo’s where a Thief uses Stealth abilities. The Only Class which fits that Profile and Attributes is Ninja a.k.a Nin.

So if you are concerned about Stealth being Nerfed or Crippled after this patch, why Not Ask For A Ninja Class? or to be Replaced by a Ninja Class?, Than you can have all the Stealth’s you want.

just to answer if there is an mmo that makes thief stealth, one of the old games, ragnarok online

in Thief

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

thiefs are meant to be stealthy however one thing is sneaking around being stealthy and another is being an invisible ninja assasin.

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

thiefs are meant to be stealthy however one thing is sneaking around being stealthy and another is being an invisible ninja assasin.

Well either thieves are stealth assassins which is the common trend, or they revert to their other MMO definition. The Old definition : thieves steal. To be precise they steal your items like in Ultima Online or T4C

in Thief

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

Stealth is a utility skill. This is not World of Warcraft or any of it’s copies where our class is based around the ability to vanish. There are many avenues for a thief to take in regards to weapons, armor, and traits and many of them viable both in PvE and PvP/WvW. Check out GW1 assassins, we have more stealth then they did.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

/facepalm. You need stealth to steal TVs without getting caught.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

GW2 thieves always did have many classic ninja abilities: stealth, smoke, blinding, venoms, traps, elusive movement. Thieves were modernized a bit with pistols, given a stealing mechanic, and stylized for the GW2 environment but that’s about it.

This patch doesn’t change any of that. It’s the developers who put the ninja mechanics into the thief class so why troll the forums and blame players?

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

in Thief

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

lol if we are at it…

Thief should copy assassin’s creed.

ooooh yeaaaah.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

lol if we are at it…

ooooh yeaaaah.

hay! hay everywhere!

in Thief

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Eh, Thief, Rogue, etc classes have often had some kind of ability like GW2’s “Stealth”. This goes back to the Rogue class in Dungeons & Dragons, who had abilites like “Hide”, Sneak Attack", and so on. The BIG difference in GW2 is that stealth can be used to 100% invisibility with no consequences; in nearly every other game, characters who hide, sneak, or use similar abilities have their movements restricted, their movement speed lowered considerably, or are unable to perform certain actions while “sneaking”. True “Invisibilty” abilities like in GW2 were usually reserved for the spell-casting classes. So the Thief class being able to just go completely invisible and move around and take any actions they normally would is something pretty new to major MMO’s, which is probably what’s frustrating a lot of people in pvp/WvW. If Thieves had been programmed to lose any Swiftness and move at -50% normal speed while in stealth, there wouldn’t have been anywhere near the amount of QQ that we’ve seen on this subject so far.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

The BIG difference in GW2 is that stealth can be used to 100% invisibility with no consequences;

But thats just it, there is consequences to stealth, sure its not slow down or such like in other games but it is in ways of loss of cooldowns or damage potential and such.

This is one of the things that annoys me people that don’t realize that its not consequence or risk free, those other games “consequences” tend not to matter, so what if your moving slower at base (almost all of them have ways to remove that penalty) if you can remain in it indefinitely.

While here its either the loss of a limited utility or loss of half our weapon skills. Throw in our absence of mechanics other games grant their stealth professions to make up for lack of stealth in combat and throw in the fact that stealth is trivialized when against skilled opponents in any game….

(edited by Dasorine.1964)

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

So if you are concerned about Stealth being Nerfed or Crippled after this patch, why Not Ask For A Ninja Class? or to be Replaced by a Ninja Class?, Than you can have all the Stealth’s etc.. you want.

Ooooh I get it ! They wouldnt dear to nerf ninja !

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I refer to you to the video game “Thief” a stealth based game featuring a… thief.

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

Unless ANET are pirates! Theres a good chance they are (just look at all the pirate gear they put in!)

in Thief

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

with itching curiosity, i did a little research (with the help of my friend google) about the word “stealth” and its etymology

the word stealth was originally used to define “as the act of thievery/stealing others’ priced possession”, in 13th century

so in that regard, stealth + thief + steal is in perfect harmony

in Thief

Karolis.4261

Unless ANET are pirates! Theres a good chance they are (just look at all the pirate gear they put in!)

You think that pirate>ninja ?! balls

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

Nah Im saying Pirates wouldn’t hesitate to nerf ninja’s

in Thief

Karolis.4261

in Thief

Posted by: Jathra.9327

Jathra.9327

I refer to you to the video game “Thief” a stealth based game featuring a… thief.

+1 Good Sir

in Thief

Posted by: Ruggan.4102

Ruggan.4102

Everquest, Everquest II, WoW, Dungeons and Dragons Online… just a few examples of thieves using stealth mechanics… as for where the idea comes from.. it comes from Hide in Shadows from Dungeons and Dragons pnp games where a thief was able to sneak around virtually undetected using a skill set for its class. As for Ninja using stealth… yea well, sure I guess… but isn’t a ninja just an assassin and thus just another type of thief? Unless of course you are thinking about the modern definition of thief… in that case, perhaps the thief here should get Rap Sheet as an ability, Parole Officer pets, and a crow-bar to do house breaks…

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

So need to break into Rata Sum and steal all their “TV’s”

in Thief

Posted by: Ruggan.4102

Ruggan.4102

That’s basically what he wants to see happen Das

in Thief

Posted by: magom.3275

magom.3275

This is the kind of post that contribute nothing to the thief forum, made for another QQ player.

in Thief

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Developers should’ve realized something is going on by now when 70% of the game population has steered towards certain class(es) wich pretty much shows some negligence in balance.

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

lol if we are at it…

ooooh yeaaaah.

It’s already the case outfit-wise for most of people I meet or face. Anything close to that gets my wrench in the face, and my Charr Thief does absolutely everything to not get compared to that. -.-

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: Wonderer.1790

Wonderer.1790

So tired of the whining about what other mmo’s have. I could say the same for any other class. “Oh Ele’s use daggers, don’t actually cast spells traditionally, and are more tanky than warriors, new class please.” “Oh rangers can use great swords and can switch out pets, different class name please.” How else do you represent stealth other than actually going invisible especially in respect to wvw and pvp. Do people want this game to be lame and stereotypical? All classes in this game have unique aspects to them (except maybe warrior). You have to learn to deal with it.

80 Thief, 80 Warrior, working on Mesmer.

in Thief

Posted by: wish.3102

wish.3102

Ive called it ninja since I started playing it, /aheadofthecurve

Jade Quarry. RNG/THF/GRD/WAR
SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

So tired of the whining about what other mmo’s have. I could say the same for any other class. “Oh Ele’s use daggers, don’t actually cast spells traditionally, and are more tanky than warriors, new class please.” “Oh rangers can use great swords and can switch out pets, different class name please.” How else do you represent stealth other than actually going invisible especially in respect to wvw and pvp. Do people want this game to be lame and stereotypical? All classes in this game have unique aspects to them (except maybe warrior). You have to learn to deal with it.

It’s most likely deviations, varieties.

What makes a Warrior a Warrior is his ability to have an impact on the front line, no matter if you play a double axe barbarian, a greatsword fighter, a stat-boosting commander or a rifleman.

All the classes have the same scheme, the Thief’s main characteristic is his mobility combined with alot of in-combat features (initiative, stealth and steal), and the playstyle will go from the sword duelist to the gunslinger, up to the typical assassin everyone uses because they watched too much anime / played a certain Ubisoft franchise.

With the popular choices, people tend to pigeonhole their mindset on that and forget the rest. Of course, the Thief’s bread and butter was never meant to be ‘Assassinate targets and disappear in the shadows’, this ‘feature’ is just a small part of a large tree, the complaints are often made from a point of view where the Thief is actually an ‘Assassin’.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)