Thief build with Dual Daggers

in Thief

Posted by: Chankster.1342

Chankster.1342

Hello, I am a new player who recently started playing and was wondering if someone would be able to give me really basic tips on how to build/skillsetup a dual wielding dagger build?

Thank you

in Thief

Posted by: Invictorum.7643

Invictorum.7643

D/D nowadays means you’re going to be running a Condition setup. It falls behind D/P in Power setups.

Essentially, run for a lot of Condition damage, and spam the hell out of skill #3.

in Thief

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

That’s my current build for condi d/d daredevil. As stated above #3 #3 #3. and daredevil with acrobatics gives you lots of evasion.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVnMJCNPhlOBemC0PhlviaO4P+lv7kSxV0LAmgiD-T1RAABjp8jp9HmUJY0PAAAOBA5oPAJ1fCAgAwMn5Mn5MnZpAmUsF-w

[Underworld][ZERK]

in Thief

Posted by: AChanceOfReign.3456

AChanceOfReign.3456

Why a condi build with D/D? I went Crit Ferocity. Honestly I saw screw meta, go what you feel like. PvE and PvP, that’s what I do and I rarely die :P

“SURPISE! Here’s a backstab!”

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

D/D nowadays means you’re going to be running a Condition setup. It falls behind D/P in Power setups.

Essentially, run for a lot of Condition damage, and spam the hell out of skill #3.

^ Note that this only applies to PvP.

In PvE, you can run with the build linked below:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Thief_-_D/D_S/P_Shortbow

I’ve also heard of people still using D/D in WvW, but I don’t really mess around in WvW much anymore, so I can’t say if that’s really very worthwhile.

@ AChanceOfReign: The reason is because people are running a DA/Tr/DD condi build in PvP that revolves around spamming dodges and death blossom to constantly evade and condi bomb enemies. It’s a very easy to play build which is relatively effective in 1 v 1 scenarios, but I wouldn’t recommend it for higher tier gameplay.

in Thief

Posted by: Kirochique.9186

Kirochique.9186

That’s my current build for condi d/d daredevil. As stated above #3 #3 #3. and daredevil with acrobatics gives you lots of evasion.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVnMJCNPhlOBemC0PhlviaO4P+lv7kSxV0LAmgiD-T1RAABjp8jp9HmUJY0PAAAOBA5oPAJ1fCAgAwMn5Mn5MnZpAmUsF-w

If ya want a little more evade to outlast the other players and kill them with condi’s, go for Channeled vigor for your heals.w endurance refill and Signet of agility for the extra 3 dodges. +stanima sigil for full endurance refill on every kill

Jhadir the Charr Thief (ET) EradonTerrace
All the dodge!

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

If you play the build long enough, you can be quite successful as a power D/D player in WvW because you have the scaling from stats needed to make the build work, which is physically impossible in sPvP.

That said, it’s strictly worse than D/P and requires a lot of practice to be halfway decent with.

in Thief

Posted by: iZakari.1076

iZakari.1076

D/D power thief is an insanely fun build to play with but its also really the “all-or-nothing” build for thief. You don’t get any of the blind/stealth utility from D/P nor the evasions/porting of S/D. With that said, if you don’t get the numbers the first burst then you’re in some pretty hot water against most classes. As DeceiverX said, you’ll need a LOT of practice as it is arguably the hardest weapon-set to master on thief (for power).

Gear: I’ve seen most run either full Berserk or full Marauder. I don’t want to input much advice here because I made my gear after observing/analyzing my fights over many hours of WvW play. Your experience may differ but Berserk or Marauder gear should suffice!

Utility Skills: Withdraw (condi cleanse + positioning), Agility Signet (more dodges), Shadowstep (stun break), Infiltrator Signet (2nd Stun break), and Basilisk Venom (Unblockable + Stun) are what I run. As I said before, D/D doesn’t offer as much sustain as other sets so you’ll probably want a lot of movement utility skills. However, I’ve seen people run more stealth skills such as Shadow Refuge and Blinding Powder which also works.

Traits: DA 2-2-3. Trick 3-2-2. DD 2-2-2 (or 1-3-2, depends on what you want).

Basic Tips:
1) CnD + Steal is your best friend and main source of damage. Your steal will usually hit for about 1-2k and your CnD will hit for about 3-5k. Depending on your Back-stab hit (let’s say…. 6k), you’ll probably hit your target for at least 10-11k and that’s probably when things don’t go your way. If you’re traited for Impacting Disruption then add another 3k on top of that!

Take advantage of the stealth from CnD and make sure you land those.

2) HS only when they’re below 50% hp and don’t spam it because its a quick way to waste initiative.

3) Dancing Dagger cripple is amazing for harass and poke. I use it mid-fights to test what I’m going up against.

4) Death Blossom is pretty useless as a damage skill for power users but it comes in handy when you’re facing stealth classes. If your opponent is in stealth, use it for the evade frames + random damage. I can’t tell you how many times I’ll be fighting a stealth D/P thief and I use death blossom which procs a fire blast from my sigil of fire and tells me that they’re near me.

I’m still really new to D/D as I picked it up last week but this is everything I’ve learned and taught myself! Sorry I can’t link an actual build, not able to atm.

in Thief

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

If ya want a little more evade to outlast the other players and kill them with condi’s, go for Channeled vigor for your heals.w endurance refill and Signet of agility for the extra 3 dodges. +stanima sigil for full endurance refill on every kill

i tried that build but well with squishy gear not dire. It survive more but how do you deal with the lost of deadly arts and poison on dagger attacks, more poison damage and all that? I dont think depending on just one condition (bleeding) is good, its easier to cleans and get rip of it, i dunno just saying.

in Thief

Posted by: Kirochique.9186

Kirochique.9186

i tried that build but well with squishy gear not dire. It survive more but how do you deal with the lost of deadly arts and poison on dagger attacks, more poison damage and all that? I dont think depending on just one condition (bleeding) is good, its easier to cleans and get rip of it, i dunno just saying.

I know how it sounds, relying on one condi sounds nuts. But it works soooooo well, you pump out so many bleeds that no one has enough condi clear to clear them all. I would never use deadly arts with this build not only because I don’t really need the poison damage, but because the trickery and acro is just way too necessary to outlast your opponent. (condi’s work with time)

Jhadir the Charr Thief (ET) EradonTerrace
All the dodge!

in Thief

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

I edited my build and now it’s almost perfected. Only classes with very good cleansing survives. if not fighting against zerg I change shadowstep into spider venom. lotus training and impairing daggers adds poison and slow/cripple/torment to target. If I need to escape switch to SB.

In some situations I capped camps with 1 or 2 defenders without paying attention to them. Recovery of this build is very good. More damage you do more hp you recover. constant evasion is done by #3 and dodge combo. Which also applies/improves conditions to nearby targets.

Thou I lost to high spike dealers with very good condition dmg handling. power thieves usually run away as most of their stuns do not work.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn8MBFOhlOBemC0PhFqiqrnCggcO77+w37C+gtD-TVSAAB5oPYMlfAcCA44IAE9DAgp9HQS9HQOEATqEMAACAzcmzcmzcmlCYSxWA-w

[Underworld][ZERK]

in Thief

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

I edited my build and now it’s almost perfected. Only classes with very good cleansing survives. if not fighting against zerg I change shadowstep into spider venom. lotus training and impairing daggers adds poison and slow/cripple/torment to target. If I need to escape switch to SB.

In some situations I capped camps with 1 or 2 defenders without paying attention to them. Recovery of this build is very good. More damage you do more hp you recover. constant evasion is done by #3 and dodge combo. Which also applies/improves conditions to nearby targets.

Thou I lost to high spike dealers with very good condition dmg handling. power thieves usually run away as most of their stuns do not work.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn8MBFOhlOBemC0PhFqiqrnCggcO77+w37C+gtD-TVSAAB5oPYMlfAcCA44IAE9DAgp9HQS9HQOEATqEMAACAzcmzcmzcmlCYSxWA-w

i am using the same build, i was using it like this like last week then change it with deadly arts and now back to it again. Changed my gear and trinkets from sinister/carrio to all dire (although some are exotic but whatever) and is so fun. I been having some mini zerg fights, i go in and bother/troll some people out with a few strikes and then flee out with shadowstep and all that good stuff, very fun. You need to be fast with that shadowstep and SB 5 lol but is fun.

I am using on my build krait runes, i imagine they are also good for this? if there are any other better than those let me know.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

For power builds, D/D is never going to be as versatile or as powerful as D/P but if you want to perfect your timing and get REALLY good play D/D for a prolonged period of time. I find D/P players tend to spam Shadow Shot and the AA but never really advance their timing skills. You can almost always tell when someone has mastered D/D as they become extremely deadly an almost unnerving to fight as they CnD off of the envionment and pets.

If you want to double down, pair D/D with P/P. It lacks escape but P/P can cover a lot of the weaknesses in thief melee. Dragon Hunters, Reapers, etc all becoming easy kite wins. This pairing is particularly solid in PvE where CnD becomes laughably easy to land.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”