Thief experimental builds

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

Hey!

Edit: I’ve updated the title so people can ask for build advice/or post a build they want to try/experiment on and we can leave feedback to it.

(this is for WvW purposes – solo/duo roaming)

Zealot Thief by me

This one needs more work. Too low hp and or armor.

-

Shadow Cleric by Woaden

“You’re not going to be setting any DPS records, but you’ll bring quite a bit of party buffs and heals, and you will have decent white damage”

-

Black Water Druid by Woaden

“Also, if Shadow Cleric you bring a lot of blinds and poison/weakness while you brawl in between healing.
With Darkdrood you bring lots of weakness debuffs and a bit more personal condi clear.”

-

Shadow Duelist by Sir Vincent III

“This one is a bit bunker but has more power for better damage output.”

-

The Exuberance Thief by me

It has high HP (20k with foods) and runes/food that utilize a high HP-pool.
Rest of the setup is pretty standard, but you may notice no shadowarts, whuut?
All my tricks remove conditions and have reduced CD’s and my sigils remove conditions. Sigil of generosity is (?) the most expensive sigil in the game atm, but very worth it. Always funny to transfer burn stacks back to guards/engi’s.
It has good power, very high ferocity meaning your crits hit pretty hard (Hidden Killer for guaranteed crit backstabs) and a high HP-pool. After guard stacks getting removed this is crucial.

-

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

(edited by mompen.7952)

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Hmm…this could be interesting with DD for heals on evade and acro with AR. Use S/D and flanking strike will heal based on init and if it successfully evades. CnD can get you into stealth for extra regen and condi clear. Maybe DA with mug is a better choice than acro though.

in Thief

mompen.7952

https://vid.me/upBW

So this is just to show you the regen possibilities in stealth with this build.

You get from half to full HP with BP→HS-HS.

Thoughts?

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i was expecting S/P, SoM, IP, and assassin’s reward. the ultimate self-healing thief build.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Thief

mompen.7952

i was expecting S/P, SoM, IP, and assassin’s reward. the ultimate self-healing thief build.

Yes, well I originally tried with SoM and IP, without S/P tho. Not a great success, as it wasn’t healing me for enough on D/P. Not enough sustain to survive the big blows.
Will give S/P a go :-)

in Thief

BrunoBRS.5178

Yes, well I originally tried with SoM and IP, without S/P tho. Not a great success, as it wasn’t healing me for enough on D/P. Not enough sustain to survive the big blows.
Will give S/P a go :-)

S/P is THE set to go for SoM. paired with IP, a full pistol whip can heal you about half your health :P

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

@OP: 2k toughness and 12k HP made me cringed. You’ll take so much damage that there’s no amount of healing power will keep you alive.

With a Berserker, you can afford to have those stats only because there’s a possibility that you can down your opponent — however with your build, that’s not a possibility — you’re basically just prolonging the inevitable.

If you can’t kill them, they’ll just keep pressing you until you run out of options and run away.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

mompen.7952

@OP: 2k toughness and 12k HP made me cringed. You’ll take so much damage that there’s no amount of healing power will keep you alive.

With a Berserker, you can afford to have those stats only because there’s a possibility that you can down your opponent — however with your build, that’s not a possibility — you’re basically just prolonging the inevitable.

If you can’t kill them, they’ll just keep pressing you until you run out of options and run away.

That’s so true.

I get like 16k with guard stacks tho.
Tried with S/P, SoM, IP, Assassins Reward (AR sucks btw) It heals up pretty fast, one pistol whip and 100% hp from under half.
But, I’m so squishy :-/

in Thief

BrunoBRS.5178

That’s so true.

Tried with S/P, SoM, IP, Assassins Reward (AR sucks btw) It heals up pretty fast, one pistol whip and 100% hp from under half.

AR does indeed suck :P if you stick to acro, don’t stop is a better choice.

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

This is a cool concept! I would be very concerned about 100-0 instagib tho. It’s too bad instinctual response was removed from trickery!

I was surprised at the stats in this build tho, mad decent otherwise. I wonder if you can’t shave off some feroc or prec to get HP just a lil higher?

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

mompen.7952

@Bruno: Yeah, wow. 90 heal pr initiative spent. I’ll have to see..

@Woaden: Yeah, I’ve gotten some nasty backstabs at me.
By changing out the weapons to Valk, I get 15,2k health (also changed utility food to Furious Maintenance Oil, for +100 vit, and some added ferocity.
With guard stacks this would get me to 18k health.
Sucks to rely on guard stacks all the time tho.

Edit: Also tried changing out DA to CS, for added precision and ferocity and Hidden Killer for that guaranteed backstab.
I love executioner tho :-P

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

That’s so true.

I would pick Cleric Armor and Monk Rune, plus Omnomberry Cookie for a well-rounded approach.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Woaden.9425

I would pick Cleric Armor and Monk Rune, plus Omnomberry Cookie for a well-rounded approach.

Hah I just did all these exact things after poking around with mompens build link! Still needs more HP tho imo. I feel like regen builds need to be sitting on a pretty fat HP pool.

That said, i wonder how a healing power build would be on thief in a ‘burst heal’ capacity.

Mug, Defender Runes, Channeled Vigor (or withdraw), then just round it out with some minor heal sources.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Hah I just did all these exact things after poking around with mompens build link! Still needs more HP tho imo. I feel like regen builds need to be sitting on a pretty fat HP pool.

The main problem of the build was that it has a low toughness, so it seems like the build needs more HP.

However, by adding more Toughness, your Healing can keep up with the damage you’re receiving because some of the damage were being mitigated by your toughness.

The rule of thumb is;
- if you’re building regen, you need toughness
- if you’re building burst heal, you need large HP

in Thief

Woaden.9425

I couldn’t help myself. Here’s a couple of builds based on similar concept:

Shadow Cleric

Blackwater Druid

You’re not going to be setting any DPS records, but you’ll bring quite a bit of party buffs and heals, and you will have decent white damage.

Also, if Shadow Cleric you bring a lot of blinds and poison/weakness while you brawl in between healing.

With Darkdrood you bring lots of weakness debuffs and a bit more personal condi clear.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

This one is a bit bunker but has more power for better damage output.

Shadow Duelist

in Thief

mompen.7952

Cool builds guys!! Love experimenting on builds that are a little different ;-)

in Thief

mompen.7952

So I’ve tinkered a bit with this one:

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVl0MhSnYvTw7Jw/EHwEkPNxpN7Ls8UoTQAyAA-T1CFABVfEAWTLQw7P02DAAgTAwVKBRSJSSKvSTXwCHCAVU/hUAUszC-w

All my tricks remove conditions and have reduced CD’s and my sigils remove conditions. Sigil of generosity is (?) the most expensive sigil in the game atm, but very worth it. Always funny to transfer burn stacks back to guards/engi’s.

It has good power, very high ferocity meaning your crits hit pretty hard (Hidden Killer for guaranteed crit backstabs) and a high HP-pool. After guard stacks getting removed this is crucial.

(edited by mompen.7952)

in Thief

Posted by: Khazik.8052

Khazik.8052

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVl0MhSnYvTw7Jw/EHwEkPNxpN7Ls8UoTQAyAA-T1CFABVfEAWTLQw7P02DAAgTAwVKBRSJSSKvSTXwCHCAVU/hUAUszC-w

Hey that looks pretty interesting, I’m gonna play around with that tonight. I’m on the tablet so I can’t see what armor or runes you have selected but I like the stats and utilities.

“No valid path to target” – Thief life (Dragonbrand)

in Thief

mompen.7952

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

Hey that looks pretty interesting, I’m gonna play around with that tonight. I’m on the tablet so I can’t see what armor or runes you have selected but I like the stats and utilities.

Yeah, it’s with Rune of Exuberance, hence the name of the build ^^ It gives vitality, plus converting vitality to precision (5%) and power (7%). With furious maintenance oil you also gain +100 vitality plus converting all your vitality to ferocity. Lot’s of HP: lot’s of ferocity.

Maybe rune of wurm is also a good alternative, you get even more crazy ferocity, but loose some power.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

You might survive against condition damage but just watch out for other ‘zerker because with that base toughness and without stealth, you’re an easy kill.

in Thief

mompen.7952

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

You might survive against condition damage but just watch out for other ‘zerker because with that base toughness and without stealth, you’re an easy kill.

So maybe fill in with some soldier trinkets? Or even soldier chest/legs.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

Not necessarily. You can compensate your weakness with superb playstyle. You just need to watch out for them.

in Thief

mompen.7952

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

Not necessarily. You can compensate your weakness with superb playstyle. You just need to watch out for them.

yeah, np then will try and give feedback

in Thief

BrunoBRS.5178

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

roll for ini (or withdraw, if there were no stuns) and mug+sleight of hand should be enough to buy him time to stealth and GTFO if he gets surprise bursted.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

roll for ini (or withdraw, if there were no stuns) and mug+sleight of hand should be enough to buy him time to stealth and GTFO if he gets surprise bursted.

That’s the thing, he has no stealth. :/

in Thief

BrunoBRS.5178

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

he has D/P and SR, unless i clicked the wrong build.

honestly, if the plan is to disengage, just shadowstep as soon as you’re done teleporting everywhere and use D/P from the safety of the ~1500 range you put between you and your target, then swap to shortbow and move away even more.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The Exuberance Thief:

(WvW roaming)

he has D/P and SR, unless i clicked the wrong build.

Nevermind it’s me. For some reason I missed that.

honestly, if the plan is to disengage, just shadowstep as soon as you’re done teleporting everywhere and use D/P from the safety of the ~1500 range you put between you and your target, then swap to shortbow and move away even more.

Yup. You’re right.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Experimental being the theme.

Shaminator.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVl0MhimYpTw7Jw/ELNFF3AcABQ3S9Abwc5v+vPA-TVyCABUq+DAHBA80Hc8JAgQlgcp8L99H04BAQxhAgUATK2C-w

The heal from the defender block should be around 4700.

Variant.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVl8MhimYpTw7Jw/ELNFF3AcABQ3S9Abwc5v+vPA-TVyCABUq+DAHBA80Hc8JAgQlgcp8Tq9H04BAQxhAgUATK2C-w

SOM and dodge oodles of heals.

Damage will be low so work needed. (not enough condition types)

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Negrudamus.7581

Negrudamus.7581

True Blue Gunslinger
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaVl8MhCnYjTwzJw/EHwElPNOj2Y3BfwgqTgAY3A-TZA6AAQZAA

Seems like I can burn most classes with one BV→Steal→ unload.
The Survivability is pretty much zero but you supply VERY high dps and are able to shutdown caster classes right off that bat for a burn.
(WARNING: you may need replacement button for whatever unload is assighned to)

in Thief

mompen.7952

Experimental being the theme.

Shaminator.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVl0MhimYpTw7Jw/ELNFF3AcABQ3S9Abwc5v+vPA-TVyCABUq+DAHBA80Hc8JAgQlgcp8L99H04BAQxhAgUATK2C-w

The heal from the defender block should be around 4700.

Variant.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVl8MhimYpTw7Jw/ELNFF3AcABQ3S9Abwc5v+vPA-TVyCABUq+DAHBA80Hc8JAgQlgcp8Tq9H04BAQxhAgUATK2C-w

SOM and dodge oodles of heals.

Damage will be low so work needed. (not enough condition types)

Hey! I like the idea of the defender rune, but I cannot see a way for you to block an attack? Correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe slot in bandits defense?
Edit: saw that the rune gives you 5 secs of aegis after using a heal. I would still try with bandits defense tho, for a more reliable source of block

(edited by mompen.7952)

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

that last build of yours i have been using that ever since patch rolled out where they upped every1 damage, first with S/D now with P/P.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaVl0MhSnY3TwyJw/EHwElPNOj2YfBL3gqTgAIDA-T1SDABOq+zFHCAR0H8kSEoUeVqSQe2fYhHAwAnAAAMBJxRAIAACgje0je0je0u5Nv5NvZSBwqML-w

not that much experimental build for me it works perfectly fine when u dont plan to solo roam in WvW but stay around the blob.. even tho it works fine for solo roam also i just dont enjoy it much anymore.

dmg is fine sustian is fine, its not as squeezy as a full zerk thief but u cant expect miracles also, though in 1v1 i win most of em just rangers/necros with pets can win from me especially necro with 100 pets cus of p/p not being able to go tru targets so sometimes they take half of ur dmg into the pets beside that its quite fun to play from time to time.

i always put it this way, when a mesmer pm’s me that im OP and that i can enjoy my P/P for 1 week till Anet nerfs it then its good no?