Thief is now Teef?

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Kuzuryu.7359

Kuzuryu.7359

For the last couple days, I started paying more attention to the map chat in sPVP lobby. Every now and then, I see something like “Teef OP”, or “How to deal with teefs?”

I asked around what they mean be teef, and it apparently means Thief.

GW2 has a lot of terminologies I’ve never heard of in other MMORPG like Bunkers instead of tank, kittens (I still don’t understand what it means beside the literal juvenile cat), and now Teef.

Where all these words came from?

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

From teefs themselves.
Teef for lyfe!

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Kuzuryu.7359

Kuzuryu.7359

I am actually very interested in knowing how Teef came to be, while I am at it, can some one explain to me what “kitten” means?

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Blame Zero Day (I think).

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Blame the general inability to spell Thief that turned into a trend.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

Teef is just people being cute. “Kitten” comes from the censorship on the GW2 Forums. If you type something that is determined to be a swear/curse word, the website will censor that word by replacing it with “Kitten”. Go ahead, try it, you kittening kitten head kitten weed kitten.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I don’t know where “teef” came from but it gives meh teh lawls

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Meryn.6875

Meryn.6875

I personally hate it when people use stuff like “teef” instead of “thief”. It’s like they either can’t spell it right, or are too lazy to type 5 letters instead of 4.

The only pro of it that I can think of, is that people look “experienced” or “pro” to new players when they use terms new guys don’t know about.

Lets just stick to the original, so everyone knows what we’re talking about..

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

The word “Thiefs” makes me cringe.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Blame Zero Day (I think).

Blame yolo.

:/ I only ever tried to change “cheese” into “butter”… man that build is so buttery… never caught on . (Oh and STEALTHZORS)

Pretty sure it’s a mocking term for all those that cry “Thief OP!!!!” -> “TEEF OPEEH”

also partially:

Blame the general inability to spell Thief that turned into a trend.

Which is a general characteristic of people that cry, if you look at their posts, they have tons of spelling errors and such.

Could be every well be wrong.

Kittens is censorship being applied to words… like if you use the other word for donkey it will turn up as kitten .
They also pick up if you try to use L337, spaces, dots, and asterisk. Though it seems you can get away with underscores, a_s_s .

Bunkers, not sure… but if I had to guess it would be due to the builds mainly made for holding points in sPvP… you can’t really say you’re “tanking that point” (that’s seems like you’re against it), while saying you’re “bunkering that point”. Like you’re defending on it, and you’re like a bunker that’s meant to withstand hits.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

so if i were to say kitten me, it turns into kitten?

edit: lol it does change it.

[SA]

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Honestly “teef” and “teefs” bothers me less than “thiefs.”

“Teef(s)” is just people making a joke where “thiefs” is usually the wrong plural (as opposed to referring to the possessive “thief’s,” with a forgotten apostrophe).

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

I prefer “Thiff”

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

i prefer “person who steals secretly or without open force; one guilty of theft or larceny.”

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

i prefer “person who steals secretly or without open force; one guilty of theft or larceny.”

Yes…
You’re not a thief until you’re caught!

so if i were to say kitten me, it turns into kitten?

edit: lol it does change it.

You see… in the world of gw2, we’re not allowed to kitten each other… Babies are made from test-tubes, and bred in Asura labs.

Slightly off topic.
I was looking through my post history, for that “teef thing”…
And I realized, I spawned on these forums out of the hate and frustration when ascended gear first hit. :| heh. ~ still find it the same.
First post on thief forums:

After that it was just because of the constant nerfs….

Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

that explains this weird barcode tattoo.

Ghost Yak

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Jana.6831

Slightly off topic.
And I realized, I spawned on these forums out of the hate and frustration when ascended gear first hit.

“Teef” existed before that. And I’m pretty sure a lot of people came up with it and they did so because of the pronounciation. I mean, come on – we all say TEEF from time to time.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

MightyMicah.7451

Im pretty darn sure “teef” was around long before Guild Wars 2.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

All the versions of the mispelled Thief appeared quickly after the very first MMOs, when the leet language was quite the thing.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

MightyMicah.7451

All the versions of the mispelled Thief appeared quickly after the very first MMOs, when the leet language was quite the thing.

Yes, exactly.

Also to be honest I think part of where “teef” came from is simply the fact that many who speak English as their secondary language tend to pronounce it “teef” simply due to accent or whatever

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Jana.6831

Also to be honest I think part of where “teef” came from is simply the fact that many who speak English as their secondary language tend to pronounce it “teef” simply due to accent or whatever

I have been told that my “Teef for lyfe” sounds just like some native english speakers would say it. I’m perfectly capable of pronouncing “Thief” right =)

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

I prefer thief, thief’s, and thieves.

There’s nothing “cute” about illiteracy, or the inability to type a word properly.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Jana.6831

There’s nothing “cute” about illiteracy, or the inability to type a word properly.

Let me guess, your main isn’t a thief, right?
Most thieves have got humor.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

Let me guess, your main isn’t a thief, right?
Most thieves have got humor.

Never knew I needed to main a thief to find illiteracy, and inability to type, “cute”.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Slightly off topic.
And I realized, I spawned on these forums out of the hate and frustration when ascended gear first hit.

“Teef” existed before that. And I’m pretty sure a lot of people came up with it and they did so because of the pronounciation. I mean, come on – we all say TEEF from time to time.

Oh yeah teef definitely existed prior to gw2 (it’s on urban dictionary… added in 2005).

I wasn’t saying that I made it up, I meant, I (me) appeared out of hate and frustration…

Within these forums, pretty sure yolo first started saying it.

Join the TEEFs!

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

Teef comes from French Canadians attempting to pronounce “Thief” to no avail… the result is “Teef”.

You’re welcome.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

(Same result from other accents)

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

MightyMicah.7451

I have been told that my “Teef for lyfe” sounds just like some native english speakers would say it. I’m perfectly capable of pronouncing “Thief” right =)

I didn’t mean to imply anyone was incapable of pronouncing it correctly. But due to accent, it’s often pronounced differently. I, myself, even as a native English speaker, often pronounce words differently than others.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

people would say “help! a teef stole my purse!”

[SA]

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

‘Teef’ is what happened after a thief steals the ‘h’ and the rest of the letters just sort of fall together without h’s strong moral compass.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Jana.6831

Never knew I needed to main a thief to find illiteracy, and inability to type, “cute”.

No, but it’s extremely fussy to complain about this – I usually like thieves because we think alike so I’m a bit astonished that there are people in this forum who complain about stuff like this.

Oh yeah teef definitely existed prior to gw2 (it’s on urban dictionary… added in 2005).
I wasn’t saying that I made it up, I meant, I (me) appeared out of hate and frustration…

That wasn’t meant this way, I wasn’t accusing you of claiming the copyright, I’m just generally baffled why this is even a thread. I knew a guy who we all called “Keef” (his name is Keith), so.. “Teef” is nothing special or nothing to argue about – at least in my opinion.

I didn’t mean to imply anyone was incapable of pronouncing it correctly. But due to accent, it’s often pronounced differently. I, myself, even as a native English speaker, often pronounce words differently than others.

Sure, there are a lot of people who have English as their native language and they all sound differently. But sometimes I pronounce words in my native language differently as well, depending on my mood.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I think other covered “teef” and “kitten” but the term “bunker” rather than “tank” comes from GW2s combat mechanics.

“tank” usually connotates an expectation of aggro management in a trinity style system, and GW2 “tanks” don’t have that kind of a skill subset.

In addition, the primary PvP modes in which “tanking” is viable all involve point capturing or area denial by remaining in a fixed position.

Thus, the “bunker” terminology comes from a combination of a lack of aggro for PvE (bunker/tank setups are not favored, so the “tank” teminology never reall caught on) and their literaly function in PvP (They are fortified positions designed to hold an area)

Thus, when the PvP community started calling certain builds bunkers, the subset of the PvE community that was playing those builds picked up the terminology already in use when discussing them, and the term “bunker” spread to PvE.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

Did somebody say my name?

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

The 1st iteration i saw was from the Ebay forums where someone was making fun of the non NA players on SoS.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

I prefer “Thiff”

Lol this comment.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

theeves everywhere

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Kyouraku.2196

Kyouraku.2196

Funnily enough, that word if said with an accent is quite vulgar in a local language….

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

That wasn’t meant this way, I wasn’t accusing you of claiming the copyright, I’m just generally baffled why this is even a thread. I knew a guy who we all called “Keef” (his name is Keith), so.. “Teef” is nothing special or nothing to argue about – at least in my opinion.

I guess it’s kind of cool to know where words originated from… like the term mouse that we use to refer to our computer mice… came from the guys that made the oN-Line System. They did a demo that’s known as “The mother of all demos” and in one of the parts the guy presenting the system apologizes for calling it a mouse and doesn’t even know why they started to call it so – the only neat part about the whole demo.

Join the TEEFs!

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Jana.6831

I can imagine that a lot of people brought it up, because "That stupid “teef” killed me!!" "Hahaha, you said “teef”!" – another story with a computer mouse as not many of us could’ve invented it. And well – it does look like a mouse.

Thief is now Teef?

in Thief

Posted by: Amplify.8751

Amplify.8751

It’s a bunch of weeabo bullkitten, that’s what “teef” is.