@Thief mains: Playing your alt vs. thieves

in Thief

Posted by: godmoney.6025

godmoney.6025

I have been maining thief for 3 years, mostly WVW and sPVP. I decided to spend some time on other classes before the expansion hits, most notably my full zerker power necro.

I was shocked. I am absolutely decimating thieves in wvw and pvp. Granted they might not have been the world’s best thieves, but I only have 25 hours on necro and sometimes still fumble combos and keystrokes. I’ve only lost to one thief in a fair 1v1 and that was a condi dire perplexity thief and I didnt have Plague Signet equipped.
Sure, sometimes in a group fight a d/d burst jumps me for 15k backstab, that happens.

It makes me sad, they all rely on stealth to try and survive/burst, but it only helps them flee and reset. As soon as they show themselves they get wrecked by 6k 1200 range auto attacks, while their backstabs just chunk out my Shroud a bit. I truly felt sad when I managed to down 2 thieves at once inside their Refuge using only Shroud 4&5. Didn’t even have to target any of them.

I’m feeling more useful on a class I have 25 hours on than on my 3000 hour main.
Disgusting.

So how do you feel when fighting other thieves whilst playing your alts?

La Fantoma – Aurora Glade

(edited by godmoney.6025)

in Thief

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

If I’m playing my alt Ele (Cele D/D, Champion Magus though) its a great achievement for Thieves to survive… usually my burn even kills them if they decide to run away

When I’m playing on S/F Fresh Air, D/P thieves are pretty hard actually, as I can’t land any skills apart from phoenix, I am usually able to burst them down but if they are decent they have it pretty easy beating me as I can’t do much

When I’m playing Berserker Engi (Champion Genius), Thieves better run, my burst is too much to deal with for them…

On Warrior (Champion Legionnaire), they don’t stand a chance either due to high damage/high toughness/high healing

On my Ranger it’s simply a matter of spotting them, Pewpew, Taunt when they come close and use GS if they are stealthed for a longer time… easy, unless they get a big burst off before i notice them

On my Guard? I won’t even start, it’s sad and I only got 50 hours…

On my Necromancer they actually stand a chance… if I happen to have less than 30% DS, otherwise you can forget the chance again

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

I got the same impression as OP when i played Necro PvP. The sustain in this profession is so insane, keeping cap points was really unchallenging. Weirdly enough, Rangers gave me a hard time lol.

The only drawbacks to playing necro or anything else:

1. It’s not a thief.
2. WHY SO SLOW? WHY SOOOOOOOO SLLOOWWWWW * melting *

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: godmoney.6025

godmoney.6025

@Kocoff. Yeah necro being slow is annoying, compared to the mobility I am used to as a thief. But I enjoy being able to stay in the fight and do truckloads of damage, contest points and survive without having to rely on my superior mobilty to try and hide.

I find using Mini Henry (Wurm) for juke porting (especially in Khylo roof, ToTSS bridges) in PVP mildly entertains me as I also miss that aspect of thief.

La Fantoma – Aurora Glade

in Thief

Posted by: damnwidget.9301

damnwidget.9301

I am leveling a Power Necro and it’s sustained damage is just awesome, the liche form is far beyond awesome, the boons ripe with skill 5 followed by 3, 2 and then pure burst AA is just shocking.

The Shroud mechanic is really cool and improves your overall survavility, it’s way easier to effectively play that toon than my main Thief.

I’ve been playing with other alts that are now 80, a Burning Guardian that is able to obliterate thiefs in less than one second just using fire (crazy crazy OP burning) and a mesmer, but I don’t like the mesmer mechanics.

In general play any other class feels really slow (except elementalist maybe).

[SoW] Sông Of War – Baruch Bay

in Thief

Posted by: Slowmelt.8547

Slowmelt.8547

Attachments:

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

I feel disgusted at how easy other professions are.
Way higher reward vs. much lower risk.

I like putting in effort, but it’d be nice if others had to do the same.

Also, hi mate!

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: Petoox.6570

Petoox.6570

I tried playing Cele Ele in spvp, wow… it’s so easy because you can just literally afk on point, hit burning speed and do same damage as whole thief burst. Lame really.

Then I wanted to jump on Warrior, I can just keep thieves down with my hammer and burst them with Greatsword.

It’s so stupid how everyone can kill thief, and other classes faster than thief.

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I only pvp with Guardian and Necro…
When on guard bunker I ignore them and on guard condi burn I hunt then because they drop Fast.
On Necro it’s also easy, and it will be Much Much Much easier once the HoT will come… it’s… urgh….
I don’t think the pvp thief players realize for now how dangerous the necro will be in HoT.

(edited by rogerwilko.6895)

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

People are gradually realizing that Reaper is going to be a nightmare for Thief in HoT.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You think playing other classes and compare them to thief is depressing? Go play elite specs from other classes during beta weekend – you will just want to uninstall this game and never come back (or just delete your thief).

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in Thief

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

Yup, pretty sad state of affairs currently. Don’t think HoT based on current Beta tests is going to change it any. Hopefully next balance patch gets us back to at least being a threat and not a laughing stock.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I massacre Thieves on my alts and on my Thief. On my Necro especially, who I basically play as a Dagger backstab Thief, except I don’t need to Flank anyone to instakill and can also backstab people in the face at range and have like 40k hp.

Maybe not on my Mesmer though. Depends on my luck when I mash buttons with blindfold on. I’m still too lazy to remember what my skills do on that class.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I’m rarely on another class but if, and if a thief crosses my way, I’m “Do you really think you can outsmart a thief main?” and then I’m sad when the guy is dead.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

I have been maining thief for 3 years, mostly WVW and sPVP. I decided to spend some time on other classes before the expansion hits, most notably my full zerker power necro.

I was shocked. I am absolutely decimating thieves in wvw and pvp. Granted they might not have been the world’s best thieves, but I only have 25 hours on necro and sometimes still fumble combos and keystrokes. I’ve only lost to one thief in a fair 1v1 and that was a condi dire perplexity thief and I didnt have Plague Signet equipped.
Sure, sometimes in a group fight a d/d burst jumps me for 15k backstab, that happens.

It makes me sad, they all rely on stealth to try and survive/burst, but it only helps them flee and reset. As soon as they show themselves they get wrecked by 6k 1200 range auto attacks, while their backstabs just chunk out my Shroud a bit. I truly felt sad when I managed to down 2 thieves at once inside their Refuge using only Shroud 4&5. Didn’t even have to target any of them.

I’m feeling more useful on a class I have 25 hours on than on my 3000 hour main.
Disgusting.

I also switched to Power Necro recently after maining thief since november of 3 yrs ago I believe? Thief just doesn’t cut it anymore and it’s on ANET.

The ONLY thing that gets my necro killed is immobilize.

Everything gets my thief killed unless I am extremely careful and spend a lot of time tap-dancing instead of doing damage.

in Thief

Posted by: kaikalii.4198

kaikalii.4198

I think that what of lot of people in this thread are not considering is that most Thieves are bad, so they are pretty easy to kill. What you should be asking you self is not “How hard is it to kill thieves as a different profession?” But "how hard is it to kill other professions as a thief main. Yes, thief is probably harder than most others, but it’s not as bad as most make it out to be

Kaliiii (Thief) – SoS

in Thief

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

it is everything it is made out to be

all the class receives is nerfs with out compensation of any kind

last time we got new traits

they gave us assassins equilibrium

a brain dead monkey could make a better trait
and tell u a better excuse on how to use it than they did

srry if I am salty

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Thief

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

bro, doesn’t matter, i’ve been playing warrior all my life, i know exactly what they are gonna do, even i have 1 hour on other classes, i would still beat other warriors, given they are not top level.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I think that what of lot of people in this thread are not considering is that most Thieves are bad, so they are pretty easy to kill. What you should be asking you self is not “How hard is it to kill thieves as a different profession?” But "how hard is it to kill other professions as a thief main. Yes, thief is probably harder than most others, but it’s not as bad as most make it out to be

I said it in another thread: I half killed a thief with 2 hours (then it was one and that one hour has been a year ago) on my warrior. So basically I just hopped into wvw, have no real build, no real clue (first time ever I used S/W) (and I rarely play my warrior anyway) and just killed my main class. Of course it helped that I main a thief, but I shouldn’t have had a chance against anyone, even a “bad thief” cause you know “all thieves are bad, the class is fine”.

in Thief

Xovian.8572

The difference between a good and bad thief vs other, non-theif, classes currently is a good thief will live longer than 5 seconds, but it doesn’t mean the out come gets changed outside of hasty retreats on the thieves part, or help for that “+1” scenario.

+1, stupidest thing ever said in any “competitive” game…EVER

(edited by Xovian.8572)

in Thief

Posted by: Dragoonwake.6245

Dragoonwake.6245

Its really sad. I played my Thief since Beta on release. I loved it, i hated it, but i always said: hey much risk, high reward. I LOVED my thief… Especially D/D. Since the big changes happend…. im disappointed, quitted gw 2 for a while returned played my thief again…. still sad.
Now i changed to necro, just for fun, wanted to try some ligh armor class and i have to say: sooooooooooooo slow, but i SURVIVE without problems. Make a ton of damage and its so low risk. In pvp thief… i laugh about it if some is crossing my way…. so much life and nothing to fear.

Always when i see some other thief standing beside my power necro, i got melancolic feeling. I still love my thief and i would go back to immediatly if ANET would change it in a good way.

After the last BWE im much more disappointed with my thief. Necro is just awesome…..

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I experienced the reverse, somehow. While I’ve always sworn to remain Engi for the rest of my days, I couldn’t resist but to make a Thief a long time ago, when they they were.. sigh, very strong, to make my own experiences, I’ve then had the opportunity to screw around in PvP with it, I could make one distinct difference between the two classes in most of confrontations: The results.

On the Engi, I can find some light at the end of the tunnel when I manage to outsmart a D/D Ele or a Necro with both power and condition builds.

On the Thief, the said classes stopped giving a kitten if they wasted many of their skills somehow because they’ll kill me anyways, and adapting to a +1 or “Finisher” scheme gets you to greatly depend of others, that’s not always a good thing.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Try playing shield/mace + gs warrior. How many skull cracks can u miss and still win?

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I’ve been having some trouble with thieves on my alts lately. Mostly because I’ve been having kitten ping and lots of packet loss lately.

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Thief is kitten especially in pvp with point capture and if you know how the class works, any advantage the thief might have, is gone.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The game has embraced AoE too heavily and focused many builds on proximity damage. Then Anet doubled down for some classes on locks and burst. If a thief doesn’t get burned down, they get blown up. I am not sure of the fix but I sure would like my single target burst damage back and some sort of decent AoE like Ricochet back.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

I main thief and play everysingle other class, by far i can say that there are builds that kill thief in like 99% scenarios (Condi mesmer/soldier engi/zerk engi) Other gives enemy unfair chance to win vs thief due to thier dmg + survi, when i train duels with my fellow guildmates i can see that there is no way for me to lower my skill lvl to make it bit easier for them cuz they will basicly RUN ME DOWN, especially zerk warriors, i need to play perfectly even vs dude that plays warrior 2 days, any hit can just trigger quickness and destroy me before i even evade.
If you guys play other class then you can see that every class can outdmg or outsustain thief, thats why thief needs to play dirty hit and run / run and run /get burned and respawn thats our only choices nowadays. On the other hand i find myself rly powerful on engi mesmer and ele, they are just SO MUCH EASIER than thief and FORGIVE missplays with insane sustain or yolo traits that gives them godmode…

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

in Thief

Xovian.8572

…. On the other hand i find myself rly powerful on engi mesmer and ele, they are just SO MUCH EASIER than thief and FORGIVE missplays with insane sustain oryolo traits that gives them godmode…

I think this is one of the biggest underlying issues a thief faces and very few actually comment about it. So many classes now have invulnerability to damage for set lengths of time. As a class that has to go in and out to do damage, it out right cripples us when we need to be able to stick to someone and our damage is completely mitigated. Breaking off generally either results in our death due to revealed mechanics, or we have to run away because we are too low health to reengage after godmode ends.

My ideas on this have been said before but some of the easiest ones for sets like D/D, C&D should be unblockable and blind, or we get our own invulnerability since it seems to be a fad almost every class seems to have at least some access to. There’s multiple ways they could balance this, but current meta right now is balanced on who has the most invulnerability up time.

Oh well it is what it is, hopefully soon the Devs will give us some much deserved love, cause at this point we really do need something (Daredevil sadly isnt it).

in Thief

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If you played chess starting off without a queen you’d be “bad” too.