Thief mobility needs to be buffed

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Now that every class has passive 25% movement speed, it’s time thief get a buff to mobility to keep them at the top of the mobility food chain.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Galsia.4102

Galsia.4102

Which class exactly do you foresee challenging Thief mobility?

Thief | Warrior | Engineer
Galsia | Jäshin | Çyndelle
[KK] – Henge of Denravi

in Thief

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

this has got to be a joke…

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Thief

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

In my thoughts thief should be no faster than a ranger or warrior. The rest sure.

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

In my thoughts thief should be no faster than a ranger or warrior. The rest sure.

According to the devs, the thief should be the fastest class.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

I agree with Excalibur, this was by far no means a troll thread. Mobility needs to be upped for thieves. Warriors can out run a thief any day, with their leaps, whirls, dashes. etc.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

yeah but where the warrior has raw speed per say with the dashes, whirls, and leaps. Thieves have the ability for misdirection and stealth…which can go a long ways when trying to get away. I don’t know how many times i’ve chained a couple shadow steps with some stealth and land myself right in the middle of the zerg that was chasing me and then scoot off behind them while they charge forward swinging swords all over the place in hopes of downing me.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Thief

Posted by: Forz.1725

Forz.1725

Increased movement speed isn’t the same thing as combat mobility.

Thieves have access to many shadowsteps and leaps which account for us having the highest mobility. When in combat, I’m confident that there isn’t a class that can get away from me if I don’t want them to.

Our mobility is fine, fix other things first.

I agree with Excalibur, this was by far no means a troll thread. Mobility needs to be upped for thieves. Warriors can out run a thief any day, with their leaps, whirls, dashes. etc.

Certain warrior builds can be hard to keep up with, sure, because they built their character that way. Every build that a thief has access to, except p/x builds, have some form of mobility baked right into the weapon set.

Just because certain warriors can get away from you doesn’t mean that thieves need a mobility buff, it means that warrior just caught you out of position.

Elementalist – Pancake Tragedy

(edited by Forz.1725)

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Thief will always be faster than the other classes with shadowsteps and spammable movement abilities like IA and HS.

Also fleet shadow is fastest in combat.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Neek.9531

Neek.9531

[DI] Main Elementalist: Zepdo, Alts: Warrior, Mesmer,Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

This was my attempt to science up that warrior vs thief speed debate a few weeks ago.

http://youtu.be/E-vyzyMjCq0

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

50% movement speed on stealth.

shortbow.

/thread

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Thief

BrunoBRS.5178

This was my attempt to science up that warrior vs thief speed debate a few weeks ago.

could’ve been faster if you made use of steal to regain ini faster (plus 15s swiftness plus an extra shadowstep if you aim well).

in Thief

Neek.9531

To bad your distance traveled doesn’t really matter. Give me one example you and an enemy player are raising each other to an objective. Theirs have access to stealth which is the biggest mobility due to the fact you don’t know where to attack where and what you can’t see. And a 3 difference is pretty good for a class that requires mainly on melee combat for effectiveness and the thieves lack of twirl or charge attacks it seems very fair.

in Thief

BrunoBRS.5178

To bad your distance traveled doesn’t really matter. Give me one example you and an enemy player are raising each other to an objective. Theirs have access to stealth which is the biggest mobility due to the fact you don’t know where to attack where and what you can’t see. And a 3 difference is pretty good for a class that requires mainly on melee combat for effectiveness and the thieves lack of twirl or charge attacks it seems very fair.

yeah, thief is mobility king because it can disengage anything it wants, whenever it wants, and really fast.

they’re also excellent roamers due to that.

in Thief

Neek.9531

yeah, thief is mobility king because it can disengage anything it wants, whenever it wants, and really fast.

they’re also excellent roamers due to that.

Exactly thank you. Thieves 80% of the time control the direction of the battle.no one needs to get somewhere faster then the other unless Anet adds a racing mode. If so give my necro a teleport through the underworld.

in Thief

TeamBattleAxe.3901

could’ve been faster if you made use of steal to regain ini faster (plus 15s swiftness plus an extra shadowstep if you aim well).

That’s true, but in the topic I made that video for, we excluded target-dependent abilities (thus no Infiltrator’s Signet, Steal, etc). This was just a simple foot-race assuming no mobs in your path. Basically, we gave every possible advantage to the warrior and thief still won.

(edited by TeamBattleAxe.3901)

in Thief

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

In combat mobility is amazing due to stealth, speed in stealth, and shadow steps.

When chasing normally the only thing that will give you a run for your money is a GS warrior.

That said I disagree with the OP.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

in Thief

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Z-axis teleports that only 3 or so other classes can do, still makes thieves faster than those classes because their teleports are spammable. Khylo is a great example of this.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in Thief

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Easy example is when you’re chasing your prey or running from a zerg. Sure, you can use stealth, but that’s a bit of a different argument. I’m just trying to illustrate flat mobility here.

If you prefer, here’s a much shorter thief video with no kittens given about trying to play fair.
http://youtu.be/t3ikBWIbwwk

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

They just need to fix 50% mobility in stealth, because it’s currently NOT working out of combat.

in Thief

Posted by: Forz.1725

Forz.1725

@Doomdesire Yes the fleet of foot does work out of combat, but out of combat movement speed is capped at +33%, so it’s basically swiftness while in stealth.

In combat, fleet of foot is noticably faster than having swiftness.

Elementalist – Pancake Tragedy

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Which it is, BY FAR. Makes me wonder what kind of subpar crap builds people run on thief when they feel they aren’t overly mobile.
p/d & s/d, 5/0/30/15/20, adventure runes, withdraw, roll for ini, shadow step, blinding powder and nobody catches you. Ever. You can literally surf through enemy zergs without even stealthing. Buffing this would be ridiculous, but my thief of course welcomes such change.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

All the weapon sets have mobility except pistol/pistol. I think this was talked about the last time dev’s mentioned thief mobility and that’s probably the only upgrade we might get.

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

Okay, well maybe it is the situations that I am in to begin with, and my lack of gap closer utilities.. But when i chase troll warriors. They always seem to be 20-30meters ahead of me

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

Instead of buffing thief movement skills, perhaps other classes need to have the distance/range reduced of those dash/leap skills, at least in WvW.. I’ve seen Warriors/Rangers/Eles all spam movement skills to go from in the middle of the fray to 5000 meters away and counting. The only “useful” gap closers thieves have are utilities, which means IF we catch the target we’ve already blown cooldowns, unless you want to spam HS and Infiltrator’s Arrow on top of those, but then you have blown cooldowns and no initiative by the time you catch them, which means they either turn to fight you with you at a disadvantage, or they just rocket away knowing you can’t catch them.

In WvW, since you really only ever see people use said skills for running away, it sort of does make sense to bring the range down a bit or up the cooldowns or do SOME sort of adjustment to make them primarily useful for combat first, run away second. Thoughts?

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

Just make the Infiltrator’s Arrow rate like all other teleports. Warriors leaps run faster than this arrow. While flying arrow I run a third of the distance teleport.

in Thief

Sir Kaboomski.1508

Just make the Infiltrator’s Arrow rate like all other teleports. Warriors leaps run faster than this arrow. While flying arrow I run a third of the distance teleport.

Good point actually… I did notice that a few days ago that the arrow flies so slow that while running you don’t actually teleport the full range. Infiltrator’s Arrow should fly faster, especially for the initiative cost.

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

That is a good point.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

Thieves are equally matched or better than everyone else on even terrain.

Thieves are also equally matched or better than everyone else in terms of z-axis mobility.

None of the other professions are as good as thieves on both even terrain and z-axis mobility.

So, based on above I think it’s safe to conclude thieves have the best mobility in the game.

Mobility is more than just raw running speed. While we might be challenged in one specific part of mobility, no-one can challenge us in all of them. And if above wasn’t enough to convince you, what about in combat mobility? If you manage to catch a thief that doesn’t want to be caught, you’ve found a bad thief.

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

(edited by yski.7642)

in Thief

Sir Kaboomski.1508

And if you manage to catch a warrior/ranger/ele/(engi too even?) that doesn’t want to be caught, they were lagging… lol…

Realistically though, adjusting infiltrator’s arrow is probably the best suggestion that would give us an actual benefit.

in Thief

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

The only problem for me with Thief speed is the Shortbow’s prominence.

in Thief

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

Which it is, BY FAR. Makes me wonder what kind of subpar crap builds people run on thief when they feel they aren’t overly mobile.
p/d & s/d, 5/0/30/15/20, adventure runes, withdraw, roll for ini, shadow step, blinding powder and nobody catches you. Ever. You can literally surf through enemy zergs without even stealthing. Buffing this would be ridiculous, but my thief of course welcomes such change.

Of course you can, why would the enemy even attack you, your providing entertainment value swinging that wet noodle around

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

Thrill of the Crime
When you steal, you and all nearby allies gain fury, might and swiftness for 10 seconds.

Thrill of the Crime
When you steal, you and all nearby allies gain fury for 10 seconds and swiftness for 20 seconds.

in Thief

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

They mean in combat mobility and we have by far the highest in combat mobility. Sword #2 alone is enough to give us that title.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

They just need to fix 50% mobility in stealth, because it’s currently NOT working out of combat.

It’s not working in combat either. People need to stop perpetuating that myth everywhere.
The in-combat max-speed is not equal to the out of combat max speed; the max speed is capped as a 33% multiplier, period. In or out of combat.

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

It’s possible fleet shadow only works when you’re affected by movement impairment abilities such as cripple, chill.

All is vain.

in Thief

Sizzle Hint.1820

It’s not working in combat either. People need to stop perpetuating that myth everywhere.
The in-combat max-speed is not equal to the out of combat max speed; the max speed is capped as a 33% multiplier, period. In or out of combat.

Yes it is working. You run slower while in combat, but if u have the trait + u are in stealth u will be as fast as a out of combat with swiftness… or close to.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Yes it is working. You run slower while in combat, but if u have the trait + u are in stealth u will be as fast as a out of combat with swiftness… or close to.

No, I am DEAD CERTAIN it does not, and you’re making assumptions that you’re trying to put off as facts. Many people have tested this with actual math, including myself.
There have been multiple threads on this very subject in the past that each came to the eventual conclusion that it does not make you move faster than 33% in combat, but people completely forget about them the moment they’re no longer on the front page of the forums and the same ridiculous misinformation just starts sprouting up all over again.
Nor does it make you move faster with movement impairments on you.

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

That can be, but you MUST be in stealth to use it. That mean that every build, who dont use stealth, like mobility builds, have an useless skill.
Or in other words: The whole thief and nearly all skills are build around stealth and that is the problem, its make him very unflexible, slowly and predictable = weak.

Would they remove the stealth requirement, were this skill much more useful.
But i dont think this were enough to make the thief generally equivalent to the other classes, in buildflexibility and something that give the thief a characteristic to the class.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Thief

Sizzle Hint.1820

No, I am DEAD CERTAIN it does not, and you’re making assumptions that you’re trying to put off as facts. Many people have tested this with actual math, including myself.
There have been multiple threads on this very subject in the past that each came to the eventual conclusion that it does not make you move faster than 33% in combat, but people completely forget about them the moment they’re no longer on the front page of the forums and the same ridiculous misinformation just starts sprouting up all over again.
Nor does it make you move faster with movement impairments on you.

I have tested it again ure right its not working, my bad. I was sure it did.

It does not give +50%, more like 33% just like swiftness, so you basicly get swiftness while in stealth.

(edited by Sizzle Hint.1820)

in Thief

Sizzle Hint.1820

That can be, but you MUST be in stealth to use it. That mean that every build, who dont use stealth, like mobility builds, have an useless skill.
Or in other words: The whole thief and nearly all skills are build around stealth and that is the problem, its make him very unflexible, slowly and predictable = weak.

But i dont think this were enough to make the thief generally equivalent to the other classes, in buildflexibility and something that give the thief a characteristic to the class.

Or you dont take the trait if you’re not running a stealth heavy build? There are other traits available u know…

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Or you dont take the trait if you’re not running a stealth heavy build? There are other traits available u know…

Oh rly!? Sry I never see that it gives onther traits, than this one -.- /ironie off

Which other traits do you mean?
It gives exactly four major traits for mobility and one weak minor traits, but 11 major traits for stealth +1 minor trait. Where is the build variety if 3/4 of all traits in SA and Acrobatics are build for stealth?

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

The thief should be this.

Instead it is this.