Thief or Ele?

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: zOmbbVi.5371

zOmbbVi.5371

Hey there, I’m thinking of making my first alt. One that would be good for both PvE and PvP, though I prefer PvP and I want to get into WvW I main a Mesmer.
I like classes that have high learning curves, but are rewarding. I like doing a lot of damage. So yeah, deciding between Ele or Mesmer, since the other classes don’t really appeal to me. I haven’t played for more than a year, and I haven’t tried out either of the classes. Could I get some input, like pros and cons or whatever? Thank you!!

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: Michael.9517

Michael.9517

s/f ele (scepter/focus)… if you really want a challenge. probably the highest damage output of any class, but … a challenge to stay alive

otherwise d/p thief crit strikes.

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

So yeah, deciding between Ele or Mesmer, since the other classes don’t really appeal to me. I haven’t played for more than a year, and I haven’t tried out either of the classes.

Sorry, I am unclear what you are asking about. Your thread title asks between “Thief or Ele” but your post asks about “Ele or Mesmer”. Would you mind clarifying your question, so the thief community can better help you. Thanks.

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

So yeah, deciding between Ele or Mesmer, since the other classes don’t really appeal to me. I haven’t played for more than a year, and I haven’t tried out either of the classes.

Sorry, I am unclear what you are asking about. Your thread title asks between “Thief or Ele” but your post asks about “Ele or Mesmer”. Would you mind clarifying your question, so the thief community can better help you. Thanks.

Or you could use the intersection of the two questions to produce the answer.

Ele!

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Tyyphoon.5301

Sorry, I am unclear what you are asking about. Your thread title asks between "Thief or Ele" but your post asks about "Ele or Mesmer". Would you mind clarifying your question, so the thief community can better help you. Thanks.

Ele!

I’d rather not assume. Assuming gets you in trouble in life, better to be explicit. Better to hear directly from the OP. =)

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Thief is my main, S/F ele is my favorite alt. I would recommend the ele because you will virtually always be wanted in parties. I bring my thief only when there is already an ele in the party because they offer such a great party boost with all the fury and might. Thieves are the next best thing to have because they can utilize all that fury and might well.

Both classes are extremely fun in PvP. I am better at thief because I have been playing it a lot longer than ele. Ele is a little higher risk and a little higher reward.

Tldr: Ele

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: zOmbbVi.5371

zOmbbVi.5371

oops, sorry for the typo. I mean Ele or Thief. Thank you for the quick replies!

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Ele!

I’d rather not assume. Assuming gets you in trouble in life, better to be explicit. Better to hear directly from the OP. =)

That wasn’t an assumption, just a wise-kitten answer.

Since both questions ask which class to play, and in both instance there’s an Ele as the option for an answer, choosing Ele would mean that both questions would be correctly answered.

And assumption would be something like “well since you played and main a mesmer, you probably liked stealth, so go with thief” – assuming he liked stealth.

But yeah it would be nice if the OP edited his post or clarified. Though, considering it has “Thief” in the title, posted in the thief forums, and he mains mesmer, it would be a safe assumption that he’s asking whether to play an Ele or a Thief.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Thief or Ele?

in Thief

Tyyphoon.5301

oops, sorry for the typo. I mean Ele or Thief. Thank you for the quick replies!

Thanks for your clarification! I main both thief (all wep sets except s/p) and ele (d/d, occasionally staff). There are various resources at your disposal for both professions (e.g. GW2 class forums, Reddit threads, Youtube videos, Twitch streams, etc.) demonstrating gameplay and mechanics.

My suggestion would be to experience both classes. Both are enjoyable and provide high risk/high reward. Depending on build type you can further enhance your experience.

################################

BASICS: Thief
As a thief, you will have high damage potential, have access to stealth, able to engage/disengage at will. Versatility/mobility will be your greatest asset as thief.

In regards to WvW, you will fit the role of a roamer, scout, havoc, etc.

In PvP settings, you will provide support to your teammates by quickly eliminating threats by "+1"-ing fights and/or decapping. Overtime, if you become competent enough, you can also eliminate threats on your own (off-point) to relieve pressure off your teammates.

BASICS: Elementalist

As an elementalist, you may build for great sustain (d/d), high damage potential (s/f, s/d), or high support (staff). Your greatest strength as an elementalist is your support with numerous boons, damage potential, and powerful heals/condition removals.

In WvW, you can fit a role as a roamer (d/d, s/d, s/f(?)). And are also desirable in zergs as one of the GWEN classes; especially staff elementalists, since they bring great AOE healing and damage potentials for large-scale combat.

In PvP, you can sustain and cap points, but also due to your mobility can help outnumber ("+1") fights to support teammates. Overall elementalist is a great all-around class for PvP.

Again, find forum material and videos to observe gameplay, which can provide a better understanding of the classes in action.

Good luck, in whichever class you decide to pick. Cheers.

(edited by Tyyphoon.5301)