Thief vs Mai

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

I was wondering what would be ideal skills to use against Mai, any suggestion?

Mostly I rely upon the shortbow and caltrops mostly for crippling and degen.

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

I would suggest the shortbow to stay ranged until you can identify the attack animations.
After you know what to look for it’s a matter of keeping up a dodge at the right time.

SB is a low damage weapon that is safe to use. In emergency you can use Shadow Shot to get to a safe place, or you can use the Evade shot to avoid what would otherwise be a lot of damage. Once you know the fight, I would suggest D/D for CnD + BD spam. When things get hot you can get out with the SB.

Also I would highly suggest using Physical Damage over Condition Damage for Guild Wars 2. I have found that I can pump out considerably more damage with Physical Vs Conditions.

GL Mate.

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The new Shadow Trap with S/D is very useful in this fight…that is, if you can get pass Frizz with your party intact. :/

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Sword is the best melee weapon for condition removal and port, but honestly, going double pistol is probably your best bet. Since she ports around so much, the dps loss of a ranged weapon is pretty much offset by how much time/initiative you spend chasing her.

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

Thanks for ideas! I’ll take a look at Shadow Trap and experiment with that.

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Sword is the best melee weapon for condition removal and port, but honestly, going double pistol is probably your best bet. Since she ports around so much, the dps loss of a ranged weapon is pretty much offset by how much time/initiative you spend chasing her.

She doesn’t port around if your party has balls and stays melee. Doing that also makes it easier to direct her into the shock things. I was doing the fight yesterday and everything was going smooth except for this one noob ranger who refused to get off his sbow and even used ranged pets. That 1 person doubled the length of the fight. It was funny though b/c that ranger was whining the entire time about how the 4 people meleeing were stopping her from going to the electric traps.

You will never lose sword dps when using sword (you’ll lose dagger dps for not using daggers though :P). Whenever she blinks, shadow return → shadow step, you’re on the boss again.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I would pick shadow refuge, blinding powder, the movement speed signet, and basilisk venom. I spend most of my time reviving my team mates and those skills help. I did actually manage to get my team all back from the dead once (not just downed) but they all died again in the next cannon round and I couldn’t do it twice! Movement speed is for the cannon range and basilisk venom can park Mai for a few seconds.

Thieves should be able to spot Mai’s shadowstep as the dagger/pistol dual skill that blinds and shadowsteps. If you can evade when she does the animation you should be safe and it doesn’t matter what weapons you use. If you are near her in melee you need to clear conditions since the bleeds stack up rapidly.

Thief vs Mai

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

You can save the Invulnerability you get (sometimes…) from the stolen bottle to tank safely in the lightning field and take down many stacks this way.

Works very nicely if you have 30pt in trickery for the 21s cooldown.

As for weaponset, I found S/D to be the most useful because you can use Infil to immobilize and gapclose on her as well as condi remove with Shadow Return AND C&D if traited. (SR alone sometimes misses the huge bleed stacks…) The on-demand evade from Larcenous is also pretty useful when you need to stay inside the lightning field without Invul.

But yes, fight is a lot easier if everybody fights in melee range (and can survive in melee range).

(edited by Kaon.7192)