Thief vs Warrior DPS! Finally settled

in Thief

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

The winner is………

The thief

However, warrior got the most damaging skill in the game, we can do way higher dps over time, as we can backstab more often than hundred blades, means thief got higher dps of course this guy used utlities, but even without these he would still do tons of damage, with cloak + backstab rotaton. and do more NB Single target damage than the warrior, no class will ever beat warrior in clearing groups unfortuanatly. but i hope this stops the quell between which has highest dps. .

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

However, thief is only strongest in 2 roles however, SDPS and moblity.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

Share it with your friends, leave your toughts!

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

This is not mine at all however all credit to the owner (if you dont like me sharing just leave a comment and il remove at once)

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

this is so wrong on so many lvls. thief backstab. ok so when comparing 2 classes DPS which means damage per second….. you must compare them against the game …not against each other. warrior is stronger against some classes and not others….same for thief. thats said you look at it as a whole and easiest way to compare it without adding in variables such as invisiblity or necro life or mes invis or invulerbilty or guardian blocks etc is to target an NPC mob and deal dmg to it.

this said now you have to find out which combination of skills has the highest dps …NOT the highest dmg IN a second but the damage over time averaged per second. you compare CnD+BS to any of the warrior combos the warrior rotation will always win. this is bc he doesnt have to run around to set up the skill…hes constantly attacking with high speed skills….. the thief has to CND (less than 50% success rate of hitting) and then backstab after 4 secs if he gets lucky enough for position (also less than 50% success rate) so the % of hitting CND + BS together in a row successfully is well less than 25% of the time (.5 × .5).

that guy in the video also set it up. most those were against 0 vit 0 tough armor/traited people so its not hard if u set it up. hence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM516m4f0bI heres a 67k backstab i set up. killshot does the same when set up by the way so dont go saying SEE I TOLD U THEY COULD DO HIGHER dmg. :P beat ya to it lol. anyway yeah thief is a better assassin 1 v 1 but warrior does higher consistent dmg . and they have more hp/toughness base plus stability invul blocks protection etc. not that that affects dmg but it does allow them to dole out dmg wihtout having to stop retreat and heal right? no pain? etc

warrior wins the DPS. period.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

oh PS……….this video is also irrelevant bc its pre mug nerf so it now does 33% less dmg lol oops :P so -6500-7200 on that combo

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

I, refer to 12 k crit at risen, without utlities 8-10 k pr backsab quite often, still wins over warrior in a dps race. risen got fairly high tougness, not as karka but still, that would make them beat warrior in dps however.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

i couldt care less about our mug burst, remember he had to pull of his own might, if he had a might guard with him, he could focus less on the mights to put off even greater dps.

in Thief

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

What has this video to do with dps?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Well its not my video so I don’t want to link it myself, but if you cruise on over to the warrior forum to the video entitled axe/gs 17-20k crits, there is still not a definitive answer to whose got the highest dps/burst in my mind.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

A few clips of a thief dealing high burst damage proves nothing more than thieves can deal high burst damage. It shows nothing of a thief’s average damage in protracted encounters such as a boss fights.

There are lots of factors to take into account that can affect dps but there is a reason most speed runs go with 1 mesmer and 4 warriors.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

Listen, 10 k each 3 second + autoattacks + cloak and daggers passes hundred blades in single target damage. however we got no chance to compete with them in clering groups, and mauge they do huger crits than us yes, however we do more often high damage.

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

All this video shows is that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

Hahahaha, belive me im an experinced thief, (i play thief for 6-12 hours a day) since november (used same amount of time on learning the game from the outside reading and reading since release to i got the game, and yeah this is the vidio of thief old burst with mug no longer possibole, but i couldnt care less about that, i mean the backstabs, instead of using it in a burst, use it together with cloak and autoattack, and you shuld to more dps than warriors if built right.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

by the way wish you are alting a thief, im maining a thief so stop being ignorant

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

Alex you are right, but when mashing on a boss the thief will do better damage as it is single target.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

or lets say risen running around in orr, if you take 1 on 1 thief will allways win, as the first hits of hb is very low, but we also deal highest single target damage however when there is 10 mobs standing in melee range, no chance thief can match that, xD

in Thief

wish.1027

by the way wish you are alting a thief, im maining a thief so stop being ignorant

Ok then simple question to show us all how smart you are.
You have 2286 power, 1924 precision, 91% crit damage, youre using Hidden killer, your target has 2750 armor . Which food offers the highest DPS increase, Truffle Steak, Omnomberry Ghost or Curry Butternut Squash Soup for just Backstab, and which offers the highest DPS increase for the standard thief rotation (BS > autoattack chain > CnD)? Also, be sure to show your work.

Hahahaha, belive me im an experinced thief, (i play thief for 6-12 hours a day)

And my Dad worked at General Motors for 45 years always working more than 40 hours a week, that doesnt mean he knows the exact way a car works from top to bottom.

or lets say risen running around in orr, if you take 1 on 1 thief will allways win

This is incorrect as eviscerate can 1 shot those mobs, and has a half second cast time. You’re telling me a thief can kill those mobs in under half a second?

Math is your friend.

(edited by wish.1027)

in Thief

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

You never showed any warrior damage, and the fights were so short all they really showed was burst DPS. It’s a nice video, but has nothing to do with proving thieves have better DPS than warriors.

I’ve seen some 30K crits from warrior rifle for instance (here’s one after a quick search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_rXq2LYg0), but does that prove warriors have better DPS than thieves?

TL;DR: Get a thief and a warrior both using as high damage build as possible and make them attack something with enough health to last more than a few seconds (the longer the better in terms of accuracy) and time the attempts. Kill the target at least like five times with both professions, compare the average time it takes to kill the target and then we can agree on which profession has the better DPS, at least within the time window it takes to kill the target.

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

I said this dozens of times, we dont to the highest crits but we do it more often means we pass them in dps

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

Of course it isnt that large diffrence but thief is a very very little matchhead before them, however anet shuld buff our substained damage even a bit, since we are the rogue arcehtype, the warrior archetype shuldnt have almost as high sdps as a rogue archetype.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

And btw 30 k killshot isnt possibole anymore it got nerfed hard

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

You have 2286 power, 1924 precision, 91% crit damage, youre using Hidden killer, your target has 2750 armor . Which food offers the highest DPS increase, Truffle Steak, Omnomberry Ghost or Curry Butternut Squash Soup for just Backstab, and which offers the highest DPS increase for the standard thief rotation (BS > autoattack chain > CnD)? Also, be sure to show your work.

And my Dad worked at General Motors for 45 years always working more than 40 hours a week, that doesnt mean he knows the exact way a car works from top to bottom.

or lets say risen running around in orr, if you take 1 on 1 thief will allways win

This is incorrect as eviscerate can 1 shot those mobs, and has a half second cast time. You’re telling me a thief can kill those mobs in under half a second?

1. 90 % critical damage is way to low, to do max damage you need 110 %
2. Foodbuff is allways spicy butternaut squash soup
3. superior sharpening stone.
4. best damage rotation is cloak and dagger + backstab + autochain + repeat

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

However warrior kill groups faster, but we can atleast compete a bit with sword mainhand but not really compareable, warrior beats us there. but when mashing at a boss thief will do more, especially if they got a guardian that tanks it in the front and provide you might, as thief got to sacrifice a lot for these might stacks, if he can change these might skills to somthing else he would get better damage if someone else provided him might.

in Thief

Molch.2078

24 responses, 16 from TE. Please use the EDIT.

If you want to compare thief and warrior dps, you need to master both thief and warrior. Not just one of them.

in Thief

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

Wait wheres the numbers? Statistics is needed to either confirm or deny that. At the moment I really doubt it.

in Thief

wish.1027

It’s a math problem with completely arbitrary numbers I made up, it doesnt need more or less crit damage. Quit trying to avoid the real question I ask. But ok fine, we’ll use 115% crit damage instead, here’s your new question:

You have 2286 power, 1924 precision, 115% crit damage, youre using Hidden killer, your target has 2750 armor . Which food offers the highest DPS increase, Truffle Steak, Omnomberry Ghost or Curry Butternut Squash Soup for just Backstab, and which offers the highest DPS increase for the standard thief rotation (BS > autoattack chain > CnD)? Also, be sure to show your work.

Always squash for what? I ask you to tell me 2 answers, and prove yourself correct. You gave me 1 answer, didnt say which part of the problem it was for and didnt show any of your work.

What does this have to do with anything? I didnt ask you if Stones or Oil is better…
Also: Master Maintenance Oil is pretty much always better.

What is this the answer to? I didnt ask you anything where this could even remotely come close to being the right answer.

However warrior kill groups faster, but we can atleast compete a bit with sword mainhand but not really compareable, warrior beats us there. but when mashing at a boss thief will do more, especially if they got a guardian that tanks it in the front and provide you might, as thief got to sacrifice a lot for these might stacks, if he can change these might skills to somthing else he would get better damage if someone else provided him might.

Where is your proof that Thief outdamages Warrior for single target DPS? I have yet to see a single math problem from you, or any mention of which builds/weapon sets we’re comparing. All you’ve done is post a video that shows nothing.

Math is your friend.

(edited by wish.1027)

in Thief

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

As someone earlier said. there is a reason CoF parties are 4 warrs, 1 mesmer. Now go and google how to use an edit button an not quad post.

in Thief

Posted by: Cassiel.8762

Cassiel.8762

Lol so I can just link a video of someone doing huge bursts and claim that class has the highest dps? Here i go…..

http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt/c/2533835

He also applies vulnerability, gives might, fury, and crit damage buffs to the whole party!

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

Yes backstabs do a lot of damage and yes they can be done regularly, but you’re still assuming this puts a thief’s damage ahead of a warriors without real evidence to support it. Looking at the burst damage between professions is not a valid way to compare their average dps.

If you want to prove a thief does more damage then show the math to support this or pick a target with enough hp that a fight lasts a reasonable amount of time and see how long it takes a warrior and thief to kill it, followed by numerous repeats and work out an average for each. Until then you haven’t proved anything.

in Thief

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

lol give this guy a break, it’s obvious he’s only like an eight year old. let him think what he wants.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

Pavel, the reason is that warriors can kill groups of mobs faster.

in Thief

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

…am I the only thief who sees beyond this petty little white-numbers quarrel? The mere fact that there’s a debate (for some reason) between whether or not a thief has a higher dps potential than a warrior or vice versa shows that whatever the result the difference will be miniscule. So let us for the sake of argument-and to illustrate the problem beyond those white numbers, say the thief is capable of higher dps (single target…which is a huge handicap by itself). The literally few more points of damage the thief does to a single target doesn’t compensate for or nullifies the amount a warrior can still do to a) single targets b)multiple targets c) warrior’s significantly higher hp pool and +300 armor that adds survivability (which factors into the damage and overall effectiveness anyway-less time dodging, less risk of going down and needing another party member to rally) and d)party utilities the warrior is STILL able to bring.

I mean even if the thief has slightly better single target dps it’s nothing to be happy about because on a whole the profession is still light years behind a warrior in …well..just being useful.

This is from a pve perspective.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

Listen, 10 k each 3 second + autoattacks + cloak and daggers passes hundred blades in single target damage. however we got no chance to compete with them in clering groups, and mauge they do huger crits than us yes, however we do more often high damage.

WRONG….if ur attackking still golem robot in practice yes you could do 1 backstab per 5-6 seconds…which is ROUGHLY right where warrior AUTO ATTACK IS. man you dont play thief its so obvious! you only successfully hit 1 Backstab about 40% of the time…same with CND! warrior has more DPS…DAMAGER PER SECOND (which is over a few mins not just a 5 sec clip) a 5 sec clip is like burst dmg….DPS is the long haul. your diefinitions are absurd dude.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

PS thieves get might on invis and might on signet use. there are no utility skills that we can sub out… :P duh

in Thief

Travlane.5948

Pavel, the reason is that warriors can kill groups of mobs faster.

which is bc they have higher dps.

in Thief

Big Tower.5423

No, dps is when you makitten a single target, trav there is, you could change all signets without assasin signet for better dps.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

there are no thief dmg utilities other than ambush trap :P …. i cguess u COULD argue spider venom but that is like 200 dmg per 2 seconds or so.

D.P.S. is what we call an acronym. an acronym is made up of letters that each stand for a word that begins with the corresponding letter in the corresponding order. such as NBA would be national basketball association and DPS would be DAMAGE PER SECOND. which is calculated by dividing the cumulative damage output by the number of seconds it took to deal such. then you have a number that represents the damage you deal per every second that passes on average. D……P……S………..

in Thief

Posted by: Stikci.5906

Stikci.5906

from what i hear in dungs thief has the highest POTENTIAL single target dps but the class is very challenging to play effectively in pve due to squishyness and positioning issues. Warrior has less POTENTIAL dps but due to it having more survivability and being easier to maintain 100% time in melee, warrior more often than not tops dps. 1 mesmer and 4 wars is the meta for cof not because warrior has higher dmg but because an average warrior will do much better in the run than an average thief and also because certain areas in cof p1 (which btw barely qualifies as a dungeon) are more suited for warrior.

however ppl will always argue with “personal experience” and “number crunching” and disagree with anyone else that doesnt share their view (myself included). This is why i love gw2 and i implore anet to please never add any kind of dps/dmg meter as such a thing would just increase the number of ppl who brag about how their class is “better” than another.

The best things in life aren’t things

in Thief

Posted by: Yggdrasil.7940

Yggdrasil.7940

I was expecting calculation, excel tables, some figures at least……just a video, really ?

DPS is something that has to be calculated by dividing the total dmg done over a set period of time by the aforesaid period.
The period has to be as long as possible to ensure data steadiness.
What is shown here is burst dmg, not DPS : without a parser/appropriate tool, DPS is not something visible, it has to be calculated somehow.

GW2 is not very min/max compatible : no combat log export & no IG dps tool => they don’t want us to calculate DPS let alon comparing classes.

Furthermore, thief is using here D/D which is a mono-target weapon whereas warrior dps mostly come from GS which is multi-target weapon
=> IMHO warrior has greater DPS (pve-wise) and by far…..

Thief/Elementalist – Vizunah Square
What I mean by L2P

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I was expecting calculation, excel tables, some figures at least……just a video, really ?

DPS is something that has to be calculated by dividing the total dmg done over a set period of time by the aforesaid period.
The period has to be as long as possible to ensure data steadiness.
What is shown here is burst dmg, not DPS : without a parser/appropriate tool, DPS is not something visible, it has to be calculated somehow.

GW2 is not very min/max compatible : no combat log export & no IG dps tool => they don’t want us to calculate DPS let alon comparing classes.

Furthermore, thief is using here D/D which is a mono-target weapon whereas warrior dps mostly come from GS which is multi-target weapon
=> IMHO warrior has greater DPS (pve-wise) and by far…..

the longer the period ensures quality averages from a standard/acceptable sample size population. however the OP doesnt know what DPS means. he thinks it means how much dmg you can do :P lol. boy thats vague. but yeah i tried to explain this to him once already.

in Thief

Posted by: Osther.7416

Osther.7416

in Thief

Molch.2078

What has this video to do with dps?

in Thief

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

The winner is………

The thief

However, warrior got the most damaging skill in the game, we can do way higher dps over time, as we can backstab more often than hundred blades, means thief got higher dps of course this guy used utlities, but even without these he would still do tons of damage, with cloak + backstab rotaton. and do more NB Single target damage than the warrior, no class will ever beat warrior in clearing groups unfortuanatly. but i hope this stops the quell between which has highest dps. .

What the hell has this video to do with DPS?

Bro do you even dps?

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

but when mashing at a boss thief will do more, especially if they got a guardian that tanks it in the front and provide you might, as thief got to sacrifice a lot for these might stacks, if he can change these might skills to somthing else he would get better damage if someone else provided him might.

Huh? If Guardian is tanking and both Thief and Warrior are behind the boss doing DPS while Guardian feeding might to both…Thief loses BIG TIME.

The animation of CnD+Backstab alone puts you behind in DPS every time.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Jinks.2057

Jinks.2057

The play of the thief isn’t that good at all……

in Thief

Travlane.5948

but when mashing at a boss thief will do more, especially if they got a guardian that tanks it in the front and provide you might, as thief got to sacrifice a lot for these might stacks, if he can change these might skills to somthing else he would get better damage if someone else provided him might.

Huh? If Guardian is tanking and both Thief and Warrior are behind the boss doing DPS while Guardian feeding might to both…Thief loses BIG TIME.

The animation of CnD+Backstab alone puts you behind in DPS every time.

right on bro. people dont count activation times + the time we spending running around invis and dealing 0 dmg while taking alot.

in Thief

Posted by: Jakare.6807

Jakare.6807

You start attacking the thief at 0:16. At 0:31 you stop attacking to retreat and heal up. In 15 seconds you managed to do approx 66% of his health.

The warr starts attacking you at 0:26. At this point you have taken little to no damage from the thief, you are at about 90-95% health. At 0:31 you have lost 90% of your health and are forced to retreat to heal up.

All that you’ve just shown in this video is that a warrior can get you to 10%hp three times faster than you can get a thief to 33%hp.

Post something relevant please.

Úchî/Aulrathil
[TI] Team Ignition (Gandara)

(edited by Jakare.6807)

in Thief

Posted by: Insight.1683

Insight.1683

I’’m a thief and i know the highest burst dmg, BUT warrior with full zerker build is really stupid like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4E9N50lTs

[WP][TW] – Arguns

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I’’m a thief and i know the highest burst dmg, BUT warrior with full zerker build is really stupid like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4E9N50lTs

warrior has like 3k auto attack i saw WITHOUT CRIT. also he wakittenting 22k and more than 1 person at same time. yeah warriors dont hits as hard / more than thieves (sarcasm)