Thief with high ping

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Kizam.2348

Kizam.2348

Q:

I brought the game a few weeks ago and have gotten bored with my warrior. I’m thinking of making a thief but read that they need to dodge a lot. I live in NZ and have a ping of 200 – 240 most of the time, is that too high to play a thief well?

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Pinkcomet.2975

Pinkcomet.2975

A:

I’m Asian. 1toon Beta player as thief PvX.

My ping probably around 200-250.
I feel like no problem at all. but I notice sometime I take a hit while in the first 1/4 of dodge animation.

Also sometime when I press skill. Its take like 1/6 sec or so to pull that off.
This is not a cast time. May be this is what its suppose to be. IDK I never play any where else.

But I’m sure you can have a lot of fun with Thief (and kill a lot of less ping players when pvp)

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: tsawr.7905

tsawr.7905

You can play at any ping if you #believe in yourself.

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Depends what you mean by “well.”

I play at 200 ping from Japan and do decently for myself.

There is another thief I know who does decently and plays from Australia probably with 200+ ping as well.

You just need to make up what you lose in reaction ability (due to ping) with strategy and prediction.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

I have alts simply for when the lag in WvW is bad, thief is a very responsive class with generally low defences so lag will get you killed. Condi thief is easier as you’re naturally more tanky, but get used to people complaining if you go that route.

For PvE, as long as you know the encounter well you can avoid most of the damage no problem, so it’s less of an issue. The best advice I can give you is try it, and don’t get frustrated if you die easily, it happens to everyone when they learn thief regardless of lag. Good luck! ^^

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

You could use a game proxy (like Lowerping) to help get lower ping by rerouting your traffic to the game servers. That can help a LOT. Costs money though it’s really not much at all.

Lag can really screw up combos on thief.

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

that’s the range i deal with and i can do it. so long as you’re not on a particularly bad connection day, where your mug ticks a whole second after you landed CnD or whatever, you should be fine.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

From my experience with pvp you need to work harder as thief in 200+ping. You can’t dodge hard hitting skill when they windup.You will have to guess what skill your oppoent gonna use first,

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Kizam.2348

I thought about using Lowerping but a guildy in WoW said he got warned for using it, I know it’s a different game but don’t want to risk it. I don’t like the idea of having to know what someone will do before they do it, at least not until I get better. Are any classes apart from warrior and guardian ok with 200 ping?

edited to add something

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

I thought about using Lowerping but a guildy in WoW said he got warned for using it, I know it’s a different game but don’t want to risk it. I don’t like the idea of having to know what someone will do before they do it, at least not until I get better. Are any classes apart from warrior and guardian ok with 200 ping?

edited to add something

I had a month long issue with GW2 a while back with lag and I submitted a support ticket. Anet support specifically recommended I use a proxy program such as this, so you should be fine.

Can’t imagine why you’d get a warning in WoW either though because it’s not like having “normal” ping should be considered an “unfair advantage” lol.

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

A ping lowering service is allowed. It doesn’t give you an advantage over other players since they potentially have a lower ping naturally. It’s more a leveling of that playing field.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Kizam.2348

I had a month long issue with GW2 a while back with lag and I submitted a support ticket. Anet support specifically recommended I use a proxy program such as this, so you should be fine.

Can’t imagine why you’d get a warning in WoW either though because it’s not like having “normal” ping should be considered an “unfair advantage” lol.

Lowerping and others like it are not against WoW’s ToS. If you access the same account from different locations far away (going through different proxy server can look like this) in short periods of time your account can get suspended in case you have had your account stolen. Blizzard removes suspensions from accounts but tickets sometimes take over a day.

(edited by Kizam.2348)

Thief with high ping

in Thief

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

You can play ok to pretty good at 200ms but competitive level borderline viable to no. Allow me to explain my experience, I went from 400 ms to around 200ms.

What got better:
1. Shadowstep back n forth is nearly instantaneous, used to be have to wait a split second to press second time to teleport back.
2. Chaining shadowstep to sword #2 becomes easier
3. Basically any teleporting skills and chaining skills becomes easier

What issue remains
1. Chaining weapon swap follow by skills or vice versa is still unreliable
2. Still have to launch a skill ahead of time although a lot better compared to 400ms
3. Shadowstab>>sheath weapon to backstab remains unreliable to pull off
4. Blackpower>HS stealth doesn’t complete as fast so it become a liability sometimes to run d/p.

I have all professions at 80 so the latency hurts all of them in some ways but it hurts the thief the most because thief’s gameplay is twitch play