Thiefs go stealth every second

in Thief

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

So where is the ’’Player Skill ’ required to deal with a thief that go stealth every second, and res downed friends invisible ?

What can i do back when i cant see them? I am a tanky warrior and can handle those thiefs damage.. and still have a good output, but what can i do? They go stealthy every second.

I thought you need player skill to beat others, but i think you just need to be a thief..

Please Anet, please please.. look at this.. make stealth skills 5 seconds delay between eachother or something, cause its just no fun this way.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

in Thief

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I’m a tanky warrior who runs sword and shield and riffle Stuns, interrupts, healing ((shout heals)) and block are your best friend when fighting a spike build thief. when fighting me they run away or they die

in Thief

UnderdogSMO.9428

OH! also don’t use auto attack. Because some time’s its not the skill thats the problem but the culling

if your fighting them and your relying on auto attack you my not be able to see them to hit them because of culling, if you just spam the attack yourself than you will hit them any way

in Thief

Magnetron.5823

Ye i just put a ring of fire around me with my bow, but its just so strange that a thief can go invisible every darn second.. i mean come on, thats the way they wanted a thief to be? Now im just fighting air all the time… seeing nothing, im sorry but i dont call that a fun fight.

I can kill these thiefs easy 1 v 1, but when im fighting someone else too.. it gets very hard if a thief is around that i cant dodge, making the dodge skill useless.. dodging air is not so much fun too.

Maybe give warriors a skill that unstealths a thief in a radius of 300 or something, that would help!

in Thief

UnderdogSMO.9428

get a friend.

this game isnt built for 1v1 combat any way I mean a warrior grouped up with say a mezzmer useing something like timewarp is at lest 3 time’s stronger than a warrior on his own.

because you know… combow fields are a thing

in Thief

Magnetron.5823

The sytem requirements dont say i need a friend in WvW all the time

in Thief

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

If you see a dead person in WvW and PvP that has not used a WP, watch their health.

If it rises, swing directly over they body or spam 1 over the body.

I don’t mind perma-stealth, but I would like thieves to be unstealthed when they take damage.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Thief

Posted by: Bobby Fizz.5706

Bobby Fizz.5706

The sytem requirements dont say i need a friend in WvW all the time

Really hope that’s a joke comment.

in Thief

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

So where is the ’’Player Skill ’ required to deal with a thief that go stealth every second, and res downed friends invisible ?

Apparently you’re supposed to constantly spam PBAOEs while moving through WvW or sPvP.

It’s about as much skill as it takes to hit stealth constantly.

Which is to say, they’ve successfully brought the game down to the level of its worst mechanic.

in Thief

Magnetron.5823

Well yes it was a joke comment lol, thought he made a joke too, yea Vorch i try to do that all the time.. but the thing is, i dont like fighting air all the time.. and the thief numbers are really rising in WvW ( what i think )

The stealthing every second is very annoying in my eyes, it is really intented to be like this?

in Thief

Magnetron.5823

Just reduce the cooldowns of stealth between the stealth skills, and im ok with all the things a thief does.

in Thief

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

The stealthing every second is very annoying in my eyes, it is really intented to be like this?

Yes and no; they’re meant to have multiple stealth abilities, but allegedly there’s a mechanic that is supposed to prevent them from re-stealthing for 2-3s after coming out of stealth, not that anyone but the person playing the thief notices it.

Supposedly some negative interaction with the culling mechanic causes this, but I’m starting to suspect that this is a separate and distinct issue from culling, or at the very least the problem goes beyond just the culling issue, and fixes to culling won’t actually resolve this.

Just reduce the cooldowns of stealth between the stealth skills, and im ok with all the things a thief does.

I think you mean to say increase the cooldowns. Reducing the cooldowns just frees up extra builds for thieves to pull the same trick, but with more extras like increased damage or better mobility.

in Thief

Posted by: Zerbo.5381

Zerbo.5381

My best advice would be to develop a thief, go to the Heart of the Mists, make one of the cookie-cutter builds, play it for a while with a focus on trying to use stealth as much as possible. Once you’ve learned how to use stealth yourself, fighting against it is actually not that bad and can even be fun. My main is a thief and I personally love the subsequent mind game that comes with fighting a good thief who goes in and out of stealth. Stuns, blocks, fears, knockdowns, immobilize, dodge, teleporting, and stealthing yourself are all your friends when fighting a thief. Don’t let them get the stealth off in the first place and you have a very fragile, exposed and panicked thief…

in Thief

Magnetron.5823

Ye i guess i have to roll a thief..

in Thief

Posted by: Zerbo.5381

Zerbo.5381

Ah, and channeling moves also still hit a thief (all of it) if you started the skill as the thief is going into stealth. If their dodge is down- they will eat all of the damage. Personally I think this shouldn’t be the case (imagine a guardian puttung up a shield, but still being able to be hit through it anyway), but it’s a viable tactic that I’ve noticed many rangers, rifle warriors, and mesmers already use a lot.

(edited by Zerbo.5381)

in Thief

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Ye i guess i have to roll a thief..

Please do. Maybe only then you’ll be able to understand a thief’s strong points and weakness once you do.

in Thief

Magnetron.5823

Ye but thats my ’problem’with the thiefs, i dont like fighting air.. its cool that thiefs can hide etc. but running around pressing 1 or putting AOE around myself is just silly.. i want to fight them. But thats impossible because they go stealth every second :P

in Thief

Posted by: Febrizzio.8024

Febrizzio.8024

there is no any theif could survive againts my condition damage ranger…

when he go stealth and then he appear with down state…

btw, when I play as thief, is hard to fight againts good warior… because warior have a good tough and best damage…

just my suggestion, try to sPvP and find the right build for fight againts thief…

[Tarnished Coast]
Febrizzio Romeo, Human Guardian of [Pro Baddies]
Indonesia Player, Say Hello ^_^

in Thief

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

Another thing I’ve found useful…use sound. I think a lot of people might miss this, but if you have a good set of headphones or surround speakers and can get reasonably positional audio, you can track a thief in stealth pretty well using sound. They make very distinct sounds when they go in and out of stealth, use their attacks, etc. Many of them have the trait which drops caltrops whenever they dodge…which makes it very obvious where they are from the sound.

By itself it’s not enough, but in combination with the things other people mentioned, it can really help. I’ve tagged thieves many times by swinging at the sound.

in Thief

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

what gets me is that even if you manage to hit them they just run away.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Thief

Posted by: aluisiora.4568

aluisiora.4568

I think you’re mad… cause without the stealth, thieves can’t do a thing in this game, with the laughable 12k HP (80 – Non-vit build) and low def, the only reliable thing is the stealth itself, and it also requires some skill from the player to manage it well.

If, right now, you can’t take any thief by yourself, I think you may want to try another tatic.

My main is a thief, I’m leveling a Warrior right now. Here is some tips to fight them:

- There are 5 stealth skills (Not counting 2sec stealth from steal, or 25% lower health trait)
º One comes from dual dagger, it stealths for 3 secs
º Other is from Bliding Powder, which blinds the enemy for 5secs and stealths for 3 secs.
º The one most people use is the healing one (Hide in Shadows), which is also 3 secs.
º Shadow Trap I almost don’t see anyone using, it’s 5secs stealth.
º The last one is the Shadow Refuge, which stealths initialy for 3 secs, but it can add more time by STAYING in the circle until it vanishes.

The thief isn’t imune from damage while in stealth, if he uses Shadow Refuge, you can just spam attacks around the circle, he WILL be hit, and his low def and HP will bring him down in no time.
The cooldown of these skills, except for the 5th skill from dual daggers (Which uses half of the thief “MP”), has almost 1min cooldown (w/o traits), and still they are vulnerable from attack.

My advice: If he stealths into a circle, spam attacks there. Any other stealth you can just run away and eventualy he will appear (or will escape), thieves doesn’t have good defense, so 2~3 skills from a high skilled warrior will bring him down.

(edited by aluisiora.4568)

in Thief

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

get a friend.

this game isnt built for 1v1 combat any way I mean a warrior grouped up with say a mezzmer useing something like timewarp is at lest 3 time’s stronger than a warrior on his own.

because you know… combow fields are a thing

This game isn’t built for 1v1 combat… except for thieves.

Why doesn’t the thief require a friend?

in-combat stealth skills need to be capped – revealed needs to least at minimum 10 seconds to be fair to everyone else who must fight something and must acquire a target.

in Thief

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

The first thing you need to do is stay calm. They are trying to make you panic. If you refuse to play by their rules, the battle is half yours. One tactic I like to do is dodge roll towards the spot where they applied stealth. Sadly most I’ve fought against are simple-minded so they’ll go for backstabs. Moving to their previous position guarantees they’ll miss. After that, I keep moving, using powers that either make me invulnerable, teleport me around or aoes with conditions like blind and cripple. Eventually they burn themselves out and then they are mine.

To make matters worse for them, I main a mesmer. When thieves try playing mind games, I show them who’s the master. Try finding me when I stealth AND have 3 decoys out!

in Thief

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Please refer to the following thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/The-thief-and-its-gameplay-Your-feedback for the discussion on the theif and what could be improved.

Thanks for your understanding. This thread is closed.