Thieves get the short straw in HoT

in Thief

Posted by: zatara.2590

zatara.2590

Watching the Druid release now on twitch. It is seriously VERY OP. After this release it is now very evident that thieves have definitely not only drew the short straw, but drew the non-existent straw when it came to class design and elite spec design.

Its very obvious how much work went into all the other elite class skills, animations, and graphics, and thief received the bottom of the barrel, next to no work – just recycled animations, graphics, traits, and a very poorly designed dodge mechanic that could even be interrupted in the last Beta weekend.

Basically Thief and Dare Devil are garbage compared to all other classes and elite specs in HoT. I am sad to say goodbye to playing my thief, but apparently thats what ANet wants.

If thief doesn’t get serious buffs then there really will be no reason any more to play one.

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

Yeah, Rangers get a ton of new abilities, condi cleanse, and insane healing. Thiefs get an extra dodge roll that’s unusable in it’s grand master trait lines… Even if they did fix the new dodges to be more fluid, it seams all the other classes got amazing new effects and abilities and thieves really didnt get anything other than an unusable staff, and an extra dodge. Staff just has no synergy with the abilities it gives, very underwhelming. With the new druids it’s going to be even harder to kill things as a thief in pvp. We will be forced to run d/p in HoT, and it still wont be enough. Just imagine going against a team with guardian, cele ele, cele druid, scrapper engi, reaper necro…..

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

zatara.2590

Just saw the end, and he said he sees druid being very strong in WvW “being able to sustain against a whole zerg” ……………………w t f……..no other words

in Thief

Luto.1938

right… and what about pvp when its 5v5…. they can withstand a whole team then lolz Just wait until they are teamed up with an ele….

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Ihales.3820

Ihales.3820

I have to agree I feel cheated as thief now and even more in HoT. Thief is getting indirect nerfs through anti stealth mechanics, Daredevil is so bad in comparison with others that even if they doubled all effects in his traits it still wouldn’t be on par with some other elite specs. I am sad and disappointed.

in Thief

Luto.1938

Kinda wish Daredevil got the perma swiftness trait instead of druids… thieves have no role in pvp anymore… druids will have better mobility and better rezing capability (because when they are around no one goes down).

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Slowmelt.8547

Slowmelt.8547

Just saw the end, and he said he sees druid being very strong in WvW “being able to sustain against a whole zerg” ……………………w t f……..no other words

I can’t believe he didn’t notice that he described every single ability as “SO STRONG” and “A BIG GAME CHANGER” and other, similar things.
Who is this man, and why is he not doing our reworks?
We need him.
With his complete inability to be moderate, we’ll get buffed so hard, we’ll actually be on par with the other professions!

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Now I see why Karl looked so tense during the Daredevil POI. He knew it was broken.

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

Kinda wish Daredevil got the perma swiftness trait instead of druids… thieves have no role in pvp anymore… druids will have better mobility and better rezing capability (because when they are around no one goes down).

I don’t know about mobility. They might be able to walk faster but they have no teleports.

in Thief

zatara.2590

I don’t know about mobility. They might be able to walk faster but they have no teleports.

Who needs teleports when you can sustain a whole zerg…..

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Doesn’t Dash also come with “perma” switfness too?

in Thief

Posted by: El Psy Congroo.7965

El Psy Congroo.7965

I kinda regret I bought HoT before checking the thief specialization,
I’ve only played Thief since I started playing 2 years ago, now I don’t even want to play anymore, this is a huge let down.

in Thief

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Thief gets short straw ?

Dragon hunters would beg to disagree…

in Thief

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

That’s misleading. Druid won’t sustain himself against the Zerg (he’ll get melted like everyone else no matter what how powerful his heals), but that he’ll be able to sustain his “team mates” against a zerg. Basically doing the Guard’s job but even better.

in Thief

zatara.2590

Thief gets short straw ?

Sorry, but Dragon Hunters don’t even come close to being in the same position as Dare Devil are. They got some good things. Im not saying that DH received as much as other elite specs out there, but you are miles ahead of where Dare Devil is in the scheme of things.

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Thief gets short straw ?

Trying to control my doom bringer meter but as long as “he who knows his name” made it there is no difference.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

The best part was when they referred to “the condition weakness Rangers have always had”, and then revealed some of the best condition cleansing in the game after.

But condition cleansing for Thieves? “Situational”!

Thief gets short straw ?

You just got the second shortest straw. At least your core profession is in a good place

Would now be a good time to mention yet again that both elite specializations in question were designed by the same person? What a strange coincidence…

in Thief

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Re roll classes boys…

This is the nail in the coffin for a lot of thief mains….

Officially, the worst spec in HoT and its not even CLOSE….(maybe tempest but eles are in a really good spot as it is….thieves arent)

in Thief

Posted by: Shalien.9018

Shalien.9018

Hopefully the 25% movement minor gets added to acrobatics.

Shalien Ascendant [SL]
Sanctum of Rall
Check out our Recruitment Video

in Thief

Amante.8109

Re roll classes boys…

Or speak with your wallet and don’t buy the expansion until they AT LEAST address some of these major concerns head on.

If you keep throwing your money at them every time they do something wrong, they’re never going to learn. That’s basic economics.

in Thief

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Re roll classes boys…

Or speak with your wallet and don’t buy the expansion until they AT LEAST address some of these major concerns head on.

If you keep throwing your money at them every time they do something wrong, they’re never going to learn. That’s basic economics.

well they got at least 6+ elite specs right and dropped the ball on a few…. mistakes happens….
Unfortunately, thief was one of the ones they completely dropped the ball on…

There’s more to the xpac than elite specs thou……

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Just delete your thief. I was so happy and hyped to be a week or so from my Incinerator for Thief, now I’m too sad to care. Literally the worst spec, with DH being a close second.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

omg 3 dodge so coool cant wait to test it out blah blah blah and now u are complaining it sux ? Most of ppl who think daredevil is coool dont even play thief as main so they dont really care.

in Thief

Posted by: uglydan.1638

uglydan.1638

Thank the dev in charge. Daredevil sucks and he thinks it’s a gift.

in Thief

Posted by: Shalien.9018

Shalien.9018

omg 3 dodge so coool cant wait to test it out blah blah blah and now u are complaining it sux ? Most of ppl who think daredevil is coool dont even play thief as main so they dont really care.

This 100%. The people who support it as-is who have said that they main thief read as if they don’t do any of the more difficult content.

Shalien Ascendant [SL]
Sanctum of Rall
Check out our Recruitment Video

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If only we had Monkey King animations for our class enhancing feature it’d look like a much bigger difference. Seriously why ignore it when they already exist in game?
I haven’t played it since I don’t have HoT so idk how effective it is in combat.

Ranger not only gets a completely new mechanic that basically leads to 2 new weapon skill bars total, they get their default feature improved with new pets on top of it. Maybe Thief needs more F skill improvements than just an Endurance Steal.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: ArcanistSeven.8720

ArcanistSeven.8720

now that all the elite specs are out and thief and DD are kitten i now regret pre ordering the expansion

in Thief

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I think daredevil is superior to DH & Tempest.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

I think daredevil is superior to DH & Tempest.

Good. Now all they have to do is actually make that spec.
’cause you know, kittenty animations, kittenty fluidity, clunkiness everywhere, no mechanism, no visual effect, etc
(ps : on paper it looks fine, but it takes playing it to see how kittenty the execution is)

in Thief

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Maybe the reason that rangers get the best elite specialization is because they haven’t been in the meta anywhere, ever, for the entire three years that Guild Wars 2 has been out. Thieves may be at their weakest ever, but they still get into PvP tourneys and high end dungeon groups with no difficulty. That is more than can be said of rangers.

However, I will say that the condition meta is far too harsh on thieves, and that Revenant’s reveal is too strong (Engineer reveals don’t matter, because almost nobody’s going to use them). I honestly don’t think that thieves will be in a bad place after HoT releases. Getting a buffed version of (pre-nerf) acrobatics opens up some powerful options.

in Thief

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

Thief gets short straw ?

Dragon hunters actually received new animations and spell effects, so that already puts them on a step above thieves.

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

Thief gets short straw ?

Dragon hunters actually received new animations and spell effects, so that already puts them on a step above thieves.

Yeah I think that’s one thing that non-thieves don’t quite get, and it always lead to misunderstanding.
Yeah, on the paper, Daredevil isn’t the worst specialization. It’s even interesting.
(Now people can argue that things can be improved).

But the thing is, while every spec gets polished animations and visual effects, Daredevil gets nothing but garbage animations.

It’s obvious that in the execution part, while every specs are worth weeks of work, the Daredevil looks like something a student would just pull out an all-nighter into so he can deliver it the next day as a homework.

That’s what a lot of us mean by : Thief gets short straw

( During the reveal a lot of us were even pleased by the spec. )

edit : What’s worse is that they just want to sell it to us by just fixing the dodges, and tweaking slightly some staff skills (as a knee-jerk reaction to the huge backlash. Kinda feel like they just hoped we would be blind). But they have no intention to give proper idle animation which would actually mean ‘work’… something that hasn’t been put in the execution of the Daredevil.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

in Thief

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

I find it pretty astounding that every class believes it’s the class that was given the worst new spec.

Astounding and kind of hilarious.

in Thief

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Thief gets short straw ?

Base guardian is not broken though and DH is at least new even when it has major glaring issues

Base thief however is butchered and DD is just the old acro with a new name. its gg

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Thief

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Thief gets short straw ?

Not to mention dragon hunter is a cool name while they’re a hard counter to revenants.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Well, at least we got a straw…. Right guys… Right?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Can’t wait for the Daredevil myself, since i’m a big staff combat fan.

in Thief

ArcanistSeven.8720

prepare yourself for disappointment and clunkiness

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Maybe he likes using the staff like a hammer or a twirling baton.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

ArcanistSeven.8720

i want a giant d!1d0 staff skin now to beat people with

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

I think if the animations were a bit more aggressive, they would feel better. The revenant wields the staff pretty well. Not much like a martial artist, but they definitely know what to do with it. The thief…well mostly my contention is with the third hit in the autoattack. Just doesn’t feel weighty enough…you might even say…it feels…floaty :>

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

i want a giant d!1d0 staff skin now to beat people with

I know an infracture when I see one…

But have a +1 anyway.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Val.7316

Val.7316

I kinda regret I bought HoT before checking the thief specialization,
I’ve only played Thief since I started playing 2 years ago, now I don’t even want to play anymore, this is a huge let down.

Vote with your wallet. I put in a ticket for a refund and explained why I wanted it. Because I’ve only played thief since launch, no other class I’ve played interests me, and my chosen class has been slowly driven into the ground. They gave me my $99 back and I will only consider purchasing HoT if they actually make an earnest effort to bring thief back in line with the other classes. They don’t seem to want to do so, so I will be looking for another game. Simple as that.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I find it pretty astounding that every class believes it’s the class that was given the worst new spec.

So true. DD needs tweaks but the spec is not bad at all. I rather like it and last beta enjoyed the play outside the clunkiness.When every class claims it got the short straw
well than none can be taken seriously.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Amante.8109

The grass is always greener on the other side. That said, it’s a broad oversimplification to say everyone is complaining the same amount, or that the complaints are all equal in merit. It’s not a coincidence that the three elite specializations people are overwhelmingly the LEAST satisfied with are all shepherded by the same person.

in Thief

Tabootrinket.2631

There are always people like this who comes in without knowing a single thing and spitting their bullkitten.
Dude, just look no further than 1 post above yours.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

The grass is always greener on the other side. That said, it’s a broad oversimplification to say everyone is complaining the same amount, or that the complaints are all equal in merit. It’s not a coincidence that the three elite specializations people are overwhelmingly the LEAST satisfied with are all shepherded by the same person.

Overpromise and underdeliver is worse for customer relations AND balance than the opposite. We are only a few months into the reveals and really can not make such calls until months into the game.

I would rather see thief getting tuned up as weaknesses found over being nerfed as powers and abilities granted scaled back. This leads to a a much better outcome long term than does the Yo Yo effect that too much nerfing can do.

All you need do is look to the thief historically do see the latter at play. The perception thief OP that remains with much of those that does not play it due in part to our starting point when the game first released.