Throw Gunk & Ice Shard = LAME

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

These two stolen abilities are pretty much the only useless ones. Ice Shard? Cleansed within seconds. Throw Gunk? It reveals and doesn’t do much condition damage, sure you can whirl combo in it but the confusion doesn’t seem to exist if you’re on a power build (p/d condition build sucks).

PS: Karl, please change potent poison and bring back the first Feline Grace.

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

They are 2 stolen skills that are actually very strong in certain circumstances.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

I can’t think of when Throw Gunk would be useful at all for a power thief but Nephrite did you ever play D/D Ele?
A Thief using Ice Shard right after you rotated out of water… most annoying thing for an Ele and the best way as a thief to beat them (and the reason why a lot use the trait Stop, Drop & Roll in WvW Roaming at least)

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Even a power thief assaulting a point vs engi can really benefit from 2x gunk

in Thief

Posted by: Verilan.2963

Verilan.2963

I think Throw Gunk is decent for downed state cleaving, or to throw some aoe at an enemy on point (in a scenario where you are pew-pew’ing with your shortbow) – at least those are the (only) scenarios I can think of, where its useful, so I’d say it has its (niche) use

Of course, as you look at the fight, the poor ranger did everything right,
yet was beaten by an omnipotent, invisible assassin of justice, or whatever.
Thief

in Thief

Nephrite.6954

I can’t think of when Throw Gunk would be useful at all for a power thief but Nephrite did you ever play D/D Ele?
A Thief using Ice Shard right after you rotated out of water… most annoying thing for an Ele and the best way as a thief to beat them (and the reason why a lot use the trait Stop, Drop & Roll in WvW Roaming at least)

Come to think of it, that’s actually a really good idea. Thanks! And yes I play a d/d ele alt in order to learn their rotation.

in Thief

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

The real problem is that Ele can cleanse condis out of water.

in Thief

Nephrite.6954

Not every thief chooses improvisation over executioner. In fact executioner in any circumstances will always outshine improvisation.

in Thief

hihey.1075

The real problem is that Ele can cleanse condis out of water.

Yeah, but they need to use an important cooldown to cleanse those (unless they use “Stop, Drop and Roll”, which is a trait nowhere as strong as Soothing Ice against Thief).
Burning Fire only procs when they have 3 condis on them, which you can plan around. For example, an opening with Basilisk Venom+ShadowShot+full aa chain will inflict Poison, Weakness and Blindness, making Burning Fire to proc. After that you have a 30s window in which you can land your Chill, which they need to use Cleansing Fire to cleanse (40s CD). If you have Improvisation you can just use it again. If not, then just make sure to land it while keeping less than 3 condis on them.

Not every thief chooses improvisation over executioner. In fact executioner in any circumstances will always outshine improvisation.

False. Despite how much I hate Improvisation, it really outshines Executioner in most of the situations. I will never run Improvisation in a duel unless I REALLY want to tryhard, because getting carried by RNG resets is just silly, but in 1v1 the victor clearly goes to Improvisation.
In sPvP Improvisation is still better, because, again, those RNG resets are invaluable in a teamfight. For example, in the last WTS, the thieves (Sindrener, Toker, Levin) were running Improvisation. There are some cases in which Executioner can be better, but having an Improvisation proc when you have Shadowstep+Shadow Refuge+Blinding Powder on cooldown can literally change the odds of an entire match.

The only cases in which I can say that Executioner→Improvisation are in WvW (from solo to small group roaming) because you don’t really “need” to commit to a fight in WvW and you can always escape if you want to. Plus having Panic Strike+Executioner kicking in on an unaware opponent is invaluable.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

1v1 vs mesmer?

in Thief

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

necro stolen is too slow to cast:

cast time 1.25 sec + aftercast

duration 1s / 1.5s / 2s

cast time should be 0.75

in Thief

Posted by: Sealreth.1425

Sealreth.1425

I do not like gunk much, rarely useful.. granted if its useful its useful good!. but It usually (if the player is smart) will prevent me from stealthing for as long as its on the ground as he can stand on it on purpose to reveal me (again. if he is smart enough) Ice spike though, Its really powerful imo

On the other note improvisation/excecutioner. both are used a lot. Executioner more in wvw, in pvp always always see improvisation. As said before it has a high potential to turn a match in your favor.

my few cents.

Sethy Alre [Main: Thief, 19 Characters] -
[TSP] The Shadow Phantoms – Guild master
Gunnar’s Hold

in Thief

hihey.1075

duration 1s / 1.5s / 2s

cast time should be 0.75

Use it in stealth?

Also, forgive my arrogance, but some thieves should stop overrelying on Stealth. I mean, of course that’s a powerful mechanic, but hearing things like “Throw Gunk reveals me when I’m in Stealth” is just dumb.
You know it reveals you. If you are as stupid as to use it when you are/are about to go in Stealth, it’s entirely your fault for using it wrongly; the skill has nothing to do with it.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

(edited by hihey.1075)

in Thief

Posted by: ades.1386

ades.1386

Try stealing from a Rev and using your stolen ability if you think those are worthless..

Oh wait you cant because it gives you nothing..

Crystal Desert

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I like shooting through gunk for confusion. Seems to be one of the few times lately I get to watch something burn fast enough to make me say “that felt good”.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Driften.8716

Driften.8716

duration 1s / 1.5s / 2s

cast time should be 0.75

Use it in stealth?

Also, forgive my arrogance, but some thieves should stop overrelying on Stealth. I mean, of course that’s a powerful mechanic, but hearing things like “Throw Gunk reveals me when I’m in Stealth” is just dumb.
You know it reveals you. If you are as stupid as to use it when you are/are about to go in Stealth, it’s entirely your fault for using it wrongly; the skill has nothing to do with it.

I have to agree, it is on an f2 button. You can at least pocket it and use it after you use your opening attack. Beside I find throw gunk+heatseeker for choas armor works great. Throw gunk is anything but useless.

in Thief

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Max condi duration ice shard is literally the funniest thing to land if your opponent is out of dodges… No stunbreaks or little condi cleanse. Realllly helps you catch certain things off guard.

As for throw gunk… Yeah it’s kinda meh unless you have your opponent immobilized so they stay in it for the full duration? Still a push over, could be better.

in Thief

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

I like Throw Gunk, its great for shooting confusing bolts or getting chaos armor. Ice shard though….

in Thief

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

I always liked gunk for turret sitting engis. Shortbow and gunk and dodge the magnet.

The ele steal is very useful. Out of water? Stay out!