Tips/Tricks

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: HarbingerOfDawn.2653

HarbingerOfDawn.2653

Starting up a thief a bit ago and am curious how you pros out there rock them. Lets get some great tips and what not, so far i have enjoyed thief the most. I feel like I am almost flying around over the battlefield when i’m a thief due to the quickness and weapon skills you can use. Its boss. Also, i love the idea of initiative. brilliant i say!

You’ll have a tale or two to tell
when you get back.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: Mandra Madador.1709

Mandra Madador.1709

I am no pro.

Every class is played in many unique ways but they are all unified with clarity and logic in mechanics.

If you are told that there is a trick to gain advantage over other players, it most likely will be tagged as a bug and end up getting fixed.

Every player has his or her own unique setup they discovered.

No one owns their builds or play styles because we are not the creators of this game.
We basically discover them and play them.

But in the process of discovery we place value on our knowledge and thus it makes it harder to share with everyone.
IE: If we worked hard to get to where we are etc.

With that in mind, what do you think you need help with?

(edited by Mandra Madador.1709)

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: metaphorm.6904

metaphorm.6904

here’s a tip that i find incredibly useful in sPvP battlegrounds.

if you have an off-hand dagger, you can use Cloak and Dagger on downed player. it will deal some damage to them (not that important but it interrupts bandaging) and it will stealth you. this way you cannot be targetted (either by the downed player or anyone else) while you spike them. this is a great way of getting your stomps off without being interrupted or taking too much damage while doing it.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

this is a great way of getting your stomps off without being interrupted or taking too much damage while doing it.

Similar approaches include using Signet of Shadows and Black Powder (for the pulsing Blind) to either a) blind an enemy to deny them their interrupt, or; b) deny the enemy a stomp on your ally (the stomp can miss).

Same goes for Shadow Refuge and Blinding Powder.

[TKG] Mollify

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

I don’t claim to be great or a fountain of knowledge, but a few basics I’ve picked up are:

You can precast things such as Caltrops and Cloak and Dagger at range, hit Steal, and land the effect at your target with the right timing.

Shadow trap is great for escaping with good use. Place it when you are being chased, and if triggered you will stealth and be ported to your target, you can now run in the opposite direction or hide somewhere they will never expect. If you are in a situation when they don’t expect you to attack, they will never even think about you porting over to them and keep going in their general direction thinking you just went into stealth in front of them.

You can cover a very large gap through enemies with multiple shadowsteps + steal to traverse to safety or cover ground through zergs/mobs quickly. That is, if you are good at targeting and fast enough. It’s even better with stealth on steal and increased range on steal.

Use endurance signet for general getting around if you have the swiftness on dodge trait for more uptime. Paired with a shortbow and Signet of Shadows, you will have great speed for getting around. I’m sure this one is pretty common knowledge.

Blind on Stealth trait is amazing for many things, but I’ll give you a few. If you are immobilized and have no way to dodge out/break it; you can still stealth, blind will make any big attacks about to hit you whiff. It is great for countering burst glass cannon builds. It is also just generally good for countering everyone that spams attacks when you disappear. It also makes stomping/getting stomped easier/harder if you use the stealth first tactic.

Pve tips! Okay, everyone knows to spam Death Blossom to stack bleeds, but if you use Roll for Initiative after the first wave, start casting Caltrops, hit steal with the trait to recover initiative, you will land at them with cripple, another bleed, and another round of Death Blossom loaded to be spammed again and you haven’t even had to dodge yet! This of course, is cooldown reliant and probably still general knowledge, but I threw it out there anyway.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

Just because you’re stealthed, doesn’t mean they can’t interrupt your stomp with an aoe knockback!

Though not every profession has one when downed. :<

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

b) deny the enemy a stomp on your ally (the stomp can miss).

Blind stopped working on the finisher long ago, last I checked.

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

metaphorm.6904

another PvP tip:

Heartseeker is actually a very good way to complete the kill on downed opponents. It will automatically hit for its max damage against them (the 0-25% bracket) and if you’ve got initiative to burn you can usually Heartseeker kill a downed player in less time then it would take to complete the stomp animation. this is particularly the case for downed players that have been bleeding out for a little while already and are close to dying.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: zeoli.3250

zeoli.3250

@Drakewurrum
Stealth does work, chances are you either had a knife bouncing as you stealthed or stealth ran out as they stomped. Stealth lasts less than the stomp animation.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

metaphorm.6904

PvE tip:

Shadow Refuge + Dagger Storm = massive damage life leeching bolts.

this can be used to kill an almost unlimited number of basic mobs in PvE without any risk to yourself. my record (so far) on this combo is 12 mobs at once. i could have done more except i wasn’t even able to gather more than that at one time with my pull.

Tips/Tricks

in Thief

Posted by: HarbingerOfDawn.2653

HarbingerOfDawn.2653

Great tips guys, for real, these have come in handy countless times, keep it up

You’ll have a tale or two to tell
when you get back.