To Be A Thief

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

What does it take to be a Thief? Some try to answer this but don’t quite hit the nail on the head. Here is my perspective on what I feel it takes to be a Thief..

-Analyzing and Over analyzing. You need to know your surroundings really well. You need to know and be aware and remember which scenery you can blink to, or walk up with ease.
-You need to be able to weigh the hostiles in order of most damage dealing and lethal class. Necromancers hold top of the tier for that. Necromancer,Engineer/Mesmer/Warrior Or Thief/Guardian/Ranger.
-You need to be able to be smart and take advantage of your surroundings. Use LoS methods, or Dropping methods(Which usually is high risk high reward)- Dropping means dropping from fatal heights, and needing to be sure that your chaser will follow you. (It’s a very good idea to always have atleast 10pts in acrobatics for fall damage trait)
-You need to map your surroundings, and always know who and what is around you at all times, and always try to find and fight in spots where there are in range (1shottable) critters to CnD off of when need be.
-A Thief always needs to be moving, and once still, the game is over for you.
-A Thief needs to be aware of the boons that’re on their victim, whether it be to steal it or wait the duration out to close in.
-Always think ahead of yourself, and your opponent, Once you land a hit, make sure it’s followed by another, You don’t want to give your opponent the time to think and react calmly. Always have them on their toes, because once they freak out. It’s a done deal, you’ve won—-Think 3 steps ahead and anticipate
-And as a Thief yourself, don’t jump the gun. Meaning don’t get so excited in seeing someone’s hp down to 10% that you lose all focus on your initiative and your actions. Because it could be a baiting tactic. Which by then you’d had probably already fell for if you didn’t pay attention.—- Always be calm, and have clear thoughts.
-And lastly.. You need to be able to balance whether a stomp is worth risking your life over. Weigh the life for a life factor.
~ A Thief is a Predator, we should have clear and calm thoughts while still maintaining swift and fast movements when stalking or attacking our prey.

-Thanks for listening
~AikijinX

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

~ A Thief is a Predator, we should have clear and calm thoughts while still maintaining swift and fast movements when stalking or attacking our prey.

A predator also pick their fights — the most important thing is not taking out the prey, but to not get yourself killed.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

If this is some sort of cry that thief isn’t easy… it’s not going to work :/ … Believe me, somewhere in this post someone will say something along the lines that thief is just all cheese no skill facerolling permastealth OP class….

Though I think it doesn’t apply only specifically to a thief, it more applies to the gamer themselves, as they slowly become your last point on the list (a predator like mentality). Because all of that, the skill (I guess analytical?) behind it can be carried into other game genres like FPS (pathing people are likely to take, places likely to hide, likely reactions) and MOBA (league of legends, watching what items they have, how they behave(are they afraid of you? are they acting suspecious(ganks?)),watching the map were people are going…)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

If this is some sort of cry that thief isn’t easy… it’s not going to work :/ … Believe me, somewhere in this post someone will say something along the lines that thief is just all cheese no skill facerolling permastealth OP class….

Though I think it doesn’t apply only specifically to a thief, it more applies to the gamer themselves, as they slowly become your last point on the list (a predator like mentality). Because all of that, the skill (I guess analytical?) behind it can be carried into other game genres like FPS (pathing people are likely to take, places likely to hide, likely reactions) and MOBA (league of legends, watching what items they have, how they behave(are they afraid of you? are they acting suspecious(ganks?)),watching the map were people are going…)

What I am trying to do is give my opinion on what I believe what it takes to be a Thief. Not just an average Thief, but a high tier’d skilled Thief.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I have high expectations in the rune/sigil rework to up my thievery, waiting for Superior Sigil of Zen – 50% reduction of tunnel vision, 75% if the target’s HP reaches 10%.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I have high expectations in the rune/sigil rework to up my thievery, waiting for Superior Sigil of Zen – 50% reduction of tunnel vision, 75% if the target’s HP reaches 10%.

LOL – I need that runeset so bad.

You guys are the best.

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

Sounds like a promising rune set lmao.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

I don’t over analyze it. I just go HAM.

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: sierras.6297

sierras.6297

A thief is a master at the game, but doesn’t realize it. (Try playing thief for a year and a half, then playing guardian. It is not as fun, and it is very easy in wvw.

Oscuro Sombra~lv. 80 Thief|Oscuro Uno~lv. 80 Necro|
Oscuro Tanque~lv. 80 Guardian|
[RaW] Kaineng

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

A thief is a master at the game, but doesn’t realize it. (Try playing thief for a year and a half, then playing guardian. It is not as fun, and it is very easy in wvw.

Agreed:D

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

I don’t over analyze it. I just go HAM.

Go HAM but also be aware.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I have done my best to enjoy all the other professions in this game, but none came close to thief. The tactical thinking and careful planning of everything is what made me fell in love with the thief. I get bored really fast when playing other professions, and I find them easier to play for some reason..

Well written by OP! I completely agree!

Melder – Thief

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

I have done my best to enjoy all the other professions in this game, but none came close to thief. The tactical thinking and careful planning of everything is what made me fell in love with the thief. I get bored really fast when playing other professions, and I find them easier to play for some reason..

Well written by OP! I completely agree!

Thank you my friend

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

My love for thief is probably why I can’t get into warrior. I alt a necro and even then it’s better imo than warrior. I feel as though warriors have a class that does all the work for them. My necromancer I plan moves ahead to keep conditions up and stay alive, but what I love most of all about the thief is that I feel like I’m playing in “real-time” if that makes sense. Since we have no CD’s on main skills, we can evolve our tactics as a fight is constantly evolving, to get better, you need to learn how to evolve faster than the fight.

OT: I disagree with your siggy AikijinX, I feel pretty safe in Lion’s Arch :p

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

What it takes to be a high tier Thief? Well… There’s a moment where you play so much that you don’t even try to remember anything about your gameplay and decisions in or out of combat. You just know. I have that with my engie, much much less with the thief and it really shows.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

My love for thief is probably why I can’t get into warrior. I alt a necro and even then it’s better imo than warrior. I feel as though warriors have a class that does all the work for them. My necromancer I plan moves ahead to keep conditions up and stay alive, but what I love most of all about the thief is that I feel like I’m playing in “real-time” if that makes sense. Since we have no CD’s on main skills, we can evolve our tactics as a fight is constantly evolving, to get better, you need to learn how to evolve faster than the fight.

OT: I disagree with your siggy AikijinX, I feel pretty safe in Lion’s Arch :p

You’re not safe there either!, but yes I so agree. and I understand what you mean with real time game play. I also have experience with that feeling too. I for one have over 3.2k hours on my Thief. It is my only class I leveled and been and stuck by it through thick and thin.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I took every class but the Engineer to 80 (I still work on that). I play 80 percent of my time on the thief.

It just fun. It the immersion factor. It like every choice made as to what to do next a telling one. It my defining how my character will fight a given battle rather then the Cooldown times on my skills telling me what to do next.

THAT is what those other classes feel like much more then the thief. Wait for a skill to come off cool down then use it again. Thief play immerses you much more in the fight itself in my opinion.

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Amonatory.2453

Amonatory.2453

My philosophy of thief is to just be pro.. and yolo. Alls we can do

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

My philosophy of thief is to just be pro.. and yolo. Alls we can do

Go HAM philosophy is part of Life.

I took every class but the Engineer to 80 (I still work on that). I play 80 percent of my time on the thief.

It just fun. It the immersion factor. It like every choice made as to what to do next a telling one. It my defining how my character will fight a given battle rather then the Cooldown times on my skills telling me what to do next.

THAT is what those other classes feel like much more then the thief. Wait for a skill to come off cool down then use it again. Thief play immerses you much more in the fight itself in my opinion.

Yeah man playing a Thief definitely immerses you into playing a different style of game play, more fast pace, and active in your face. This is why I continue to play Thief and have not grown tired yet. over 3.2k hours and still haven’t reached my peek yet.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

Let’s get down to business, to haaaave some funs

We as thieves use daggers, swords and booows, and guuuns

PvE unfortunately is the saddest spot, dungeon groups will usually hate you

How will I- make a thief- out of youuuuuuu
dun dun- dun dun- dun

To be a thief
You’ll use stealth as if it’s cleansing ire

To be a thief
You’ll need to able to steal some boons

To be a thief
Escape when your hp is but a sliver

And be prepared to face the wrath of the- QQQQQQQ’s

(edited by RedSpectrum.1975)

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

LOL.. burnfall you never cease to amuse me.. haha

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Venomge.7142

Venomge.7142

After Playing thief for almost a year, playing other classes (warrior, guardian, hunter, necromancer) seem really awkward, routine/not fun for me. This class really sticks if you get the hang of it <3

Desolation [EU] – Thief

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

After Playing thief for almost a year, playing other classes (warrior, guardian, hunter, necromancer) seem really awkward, routine/not fun for me. This class really sticks if you get the hang of it <3

I totally agree Once you get the hang of being a Thief there is nothing you can’t do. And that is a true statement. Whether it be soloing dungeons, soloing keep lords, tower, camps. There is a plethora amount of things that can be done by just mastering this class.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

I hate playing thief. I think I just don’t get gw2 version of thief. Even though I hate playing them watching them is amazing easily most interesting class to watch in pvp spectator mode.

This is a cool topic though. I think I may bring it over to the Mesmer forums sometime.

To Be A Thief

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

I hate playing thief. I think I just don’t get gw2 version of thief. Even though I hate playing them watching them is amazing easily most interesting class to watch in pvp spectator mode.

This is a cool topic though. I think I may bring it over to the Mesmer forums sometime.

No no no don’t do that! Unless you meant make a Mesmer version

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Mice.8921

Mice.8921

Let’s get down to business, to haaaave some funs

We as thieves use daggers, swords and booows, and guuuns

PvE unfortunately is the saddest spot, dungeon groups will usually hate you

How will I- make a thief- out of youuuuuuu
dun dun- dun dun- dun

To be a thief
You’ll use stealth as if it’s cleansing ire

To be a thief
You’ll need to able to steal some boons

To be a thief
Escape when your hp is but a sliver

And be prepared to face the wrath of the- QQQQQQQ’s

My hero… I can hear it in my head… well written…
If only I could sing I’d record it on the piano and listen to it while I play my thief

@OP: also, well-written

To Be A Thief

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

To be a thief, you need to be able to take the nerf bat to the face and keep going, I say thief is more durable then a warrior in that respect.

To Be A Thief

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

To be a thief, you need to be able to take the nerf bat to the face and keep going, I say thief is more durable then a warrior in that respect.

Great Ideology ^^

Maguuma
Defend Your Back