Total Thief Rebalance

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: nessuno.2956

nessuno.2956

“-(P/P 3) Unload now has a roll over skill. After you use Unload, it switches to a roll over skill called Reload, which you will have 5 seconds to activate if you want to. Reload costs 1 initiative to use and releases a small aoe blind that is also a blast finisher.
•This will give P/P a nice defensive option without changing the theme of Unload much at all. The blast finisher has many uses, such as in combination with Black Powder or any other combo field.”

in practice you can not use unload twice in 5 seconds without having to do reload

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Oh yes, approved.
These are great. Changes I specially like:

• Improvisation
    That change gives it a very active usefulness. I would dare going up to 75% in the CD reduce.
  • The reveal and blocked attacks change
    Are way overdue. Same goes for the withdraw buff.
  • Death Blossom
    This HAS to happen, I just wonder how much longer it’ll take.
  • Ricochet change to Roll
    I like it, but I would drop the time to use Roll to 3 seconds. That would make it less painful to press again the skill. A 5 seconds wait can be harsh.
  • Debilitating Weakness
    Sounds solid.
  • Pistol Mastery
    THIS is what P/P needs. Lots of blind for survivability. I’m caught between pierce or bounce. I like the bouncing best.

What I don’t like:

• Shadow’s embrace
    Your change actually makes it worst IMO. And that is our only reliable condi cleanse, better don’t mess with it asides from adding torment and confusion to the list.
  • Shadow’s Rejuvenation
    Again, making it weaker. I would buy the in/out mechanic for a boost in the HP heal. This will also promote a healthier play style instead of hiding for heals.

Overall, very good and solid suggestions, I’m impressed. This thread should become a thing.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Raiden.1375

Raiden.1375

in practice you can not use unload twice in 5 seconds without having to do reload

Yeah, but you could just use Reload and then immediately have access to Unload again within that 5 seconds if you wanted. Reload being an aoe blind/blast finisher adds a lot of options to P/P in defense mainly, which the set could use. It makes using Black Powder for defense more viable, since you could use Reload to gain stealth from it as well. You would then have access to Sneak Attack to put out some nice damage too.

Oh yes, approved.
These are great. Changes I specially like:

• Improvisation
    That change gives it a very active usefulness. I would dare going up to 75% in the CD reduce.
  • The reveal and blocked attacks change
    Are way overdue. Same goes for the withdraw buff.
  • Death Blossom
    This HAS to happen, I just wonder how much longer it’ll take.
  • Ricochet change to Roll
    I like it, but I would drop the time to use Roll to 3 seconds. That would make it less painful to press again the skill. A 5 seconds wait can be harsh.
  • Debilitating Weakness
    Sounds solid.
  • Pistol Mastery
    THIS is what P/P needs. Lots of blind for survivability. I’m caught between pierce or bounce. I like the bouncing best.

What I don’t like:

• Shadow’s embrace
    Your change actually makes it worst IMO. And that is our only reliable condi cleanse, better don’t mess with it asides from adding torment and confusion to the list.
  • Shadow’s Rejuvenation
    Again, making it weaker. I would buy the in/out mechanic for a boost in the HP heal. This will also promote a healthier play style instead of hiding for heals.

Overall, very good and solid suggestions, I’m impressed. This thread should become a thing.

Thanks. And yeah, the numbers on Shadow’s Rejuvenation/Embrace could always be tweaked if they end up being too weak. I just don’t want them to be too strong either since we would no longer be required to sit in stealth the whole time to gain all of the benefits from these traits.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

I edited a few things in the OP:

• Needle Trap and Tripwire should now apply some direct damage to prevent permanent stealthing while outputting good condition damage in the process. They are slightly buffed compared to their current versions to help compensate.
  • Infiltrator’s Return should be an instant cast, but you still can’t use it while stunned similar to Infiltrator’s Strike and Withdraw.

Also, I never got any replies to this question so I’ll try again:

On a different topic, what do you guys think about making Steal work similarly to the Sword #2 Infiltrator’s Strike and Return? The initial steal would work just like it does now, and you would then have about a 5 second time frame to activate its roll over skill, which returns you to your previous position if you choose to activate it. This would help make stealing more viable for our ranged weapons in general, since you usually want to stay farther away when using ranged weapons. It also wouldn’t conflict with anything because using stolen items is now on F2 instead.

My concern is that this change could also help our melee sets possibly, which already get better use from Stealing. However, I don’t think it would be too strong and would mostly just help our ranged weapons, but I’d like to hear some other opinions on it. Maybe the time frame you have to activate the roll over skill could be even shorter than 5 seconds so that it’s not really a new escape option available.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

On a different topic, what do you guys think about making Steal work similarly to the Sword #2 Infiltrator’s Strike and Return? The initial steal would work just like it does now, and you would then have about a 5 second time frame to activate its roll over skill, which returns you to your previous position if you choose to activate it. This would help make stealing more viable for our ranged weapons in general, since you usually want to stay farther away when using ranged weapons. It also wouldn’t conflict with anything because using stolen items is now on F2 instead.

My concern is that this change could also help our melee sets possibly, which already get better use from Stealing. However, I don’t think it would be too strong and would mostly just help our ranged weapons, but I’d like to hear some other opinions on it. Maybe the time frame you have to activate the roll over skill could be even shorter than 5 seconds so that it’s not really a new escape option available.

I don’t really see the point, I guess. If it isn’t useful for opening gaps then I don’t see why it would be beneficial at all for ranged weapons (pretty much only P/P).

Speaking of P/P, though, I had an idea (though I’m not sure how feasible it is) to help boost its effectiveness. And that is to change Unload so that it is not interrupted by dodging. Again, this is just an idea, and I am fully aware that this may not be possible due to the limitations of the game engine.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: BlackBunny.3681

BlackBunny.3681

If only…… When i go from playing my theif and jump on a nerco or my ranger the damage the kill power its insaine….. even considering theif is spose to be a good 1v1 class.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

I don’t really see the point, I guess. If it isn’t useful for opening gaps then I don’t see why it would be beneficial at all for ranged weapons (pretty much only P/P).

Well for ranged weapons you usually want to and try to keep a distance from your opponent. Steal accomplishes the exact opposite of this currently since it shadow steps you right next to your target, limiting your options for when you want to use steal. Steal is much more useful for our melee weapons since you generally want to be in melee range with them. The optional return shadow step to your previous location would be nice for our ranged weapons because we could then more comfortably steal without it possibly being a negative net result since you close the gap from your opponent for them. This is why I was thinking the time frame you have to activate the return roll over skill should be so short. You would probably already be planning to return to your previous position before you even steal, instead of it being a get in – deal some damage – get out type of thing. Maybe the latter scenario wouldn’t even be too strong or a problem though, which is why I’m looking for some more opinions on it here.

Speaking of P/P, though, I had an idea (though I’m not sure how feasible it is) to help boost its effectiveness. And that is to change Unload so that it is not interrupted by dodging. Again, this is just an idea, and I am fully aware that this may not be possible due to the limitations of the game engine.

Anything is possible (some things may take more work though), but that sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Another thing I don’t like about Unload is when someone walks through you it sometimes cancels the Unload before it finishes, instead of rotating your character to continue facing and firing at them.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

I reworked the suggested Acrobatics trait line a bit in the OP:

Acrobatics:

-(Minor|Adept) Expeditious Dodger: Fine as is.

-(Major|Adept) Practiced Tolerance: 7% of precision is converted into vitality.

• The current Practiced Tolerance: should be renamed to something more fitting, opening this name back up for this trait. This trait can be quite useful to thieves since we have the lowest base health pool.

-(Major|Adept) (New Trait) Instinctive Retaliation: Evading an attack causes the attacker to be hit with Retaliation.

• This is basically a passive Retaliation boon, but it’s only active when you are evading.

-(Major|Adept) Vigorous Recovery: When you gain vigor you cleanse a condition from yourself.

• Thieves already have a good amount of vigor, and we are lacking pure condition cleansing options.

-(Minor|Master) Feline Grace: Gain 5 seconds of vigor upon successfully evading an attack (3s ICD).

• These changes should prevent vigor from possibly stacking up too long.

-(Major|Master) Upper Hand: Gain 1 initiative and 2 stacks of might for 15 seconds when you successfully evade an attack (5s ICD).

-(Major|Master) Swindler’s Equilibrium: Successfully evading an attack while wielding a sword or spear recharges steal by 3 seconds (5s ICD).

• Currently reducing steal’s recharge by 1s with a 1s ICD, it is about impossible to achieve the best results as you cannot dodge nearly once per second consistently, nor would that be optimal as you would be dealing no damage. This should help achieve good results more realistically without promoting dodge spamming to get the most use out of this.

-(Major|Master) Guarded Initiation: Gain 3 seconds of stability(1 stack) and resistance when you Steal from a foe.

• The current Guarded Initiation feels too situational/restricted to be very useful.

-(Minor|Grandmaster) Endless Stamina: Vigor is 100% more effective on you.

• Currently, this trait only gives you an extra dodge every 40 seconds if you have permanent vigor, which is very weak. With this change it will give you an extra dodge every 20 seconds with permanent vigor, which still isn’t too strong so it could definitely use this buff.

-(Major|Grandmaster) Hard to Catch: When you Steal from an enemy you gain 5 stacks of a Hard to Catch buff for 10 seconds. A successful evade uses up 1 stack of the buff, and restores 20-25 endurance. (1s ICD so all the procs couldn’t be used up from one dodge, possibly wasting some of the endurance gained like the current version of this trait)

• Currently this trait instantly restores 100 endurance when you get stunned and stun breaks. You still get interrupted however, and if you already have some endurance when you get stunned then you gain less than 100 endurance, possibly gaining 0 endurance if you are already full. That could make this trait purely a stun break on a 30s ICD. The stun break also isn’t controllable so it could end up being wasted on a very minor daze like Headshot. These changes will fix those problems, while also having a more active play style that rewards successful dodges.

-(Major|Grandmaster) (New Trait) Superior Agility: Break stun and gain 3 seconds of quickness when you are stunned, dazed, etc. (20s ICD)

-(Major|Grandmaster) Don’t Stop: the incoming immobilize should just be cleared immediately with a 10s ICD instead of converting it to cripple.

I also added a few alternate suggestions to Cloak and Dagger:

-(5) Cloak and Dagger will now apply 3 seconds of blind instead of vulnerability. In addition, one of the following changes should be applied to the skill to make it more on par with D/P:

• (Option 1) Reduce the cast time to 1/4 of a second.
  • (Option 2) Include a short range targeted shadow step in the skill. A 450 range shadow step should be good.
  • (Option 3) Only the blind and damage portion of this skill can be nullified(blinded, blocked, evaded etc). As long as you are in range of your target and not currently revealed, you will gain the stealth. This should be fine because the stealth portion isn’t a direct attack on the target (similar to applying a boon to yourself).

Feel free to post your favorite option or suggest your own (that goes for all of the suggestions here as well).

With Heart of Thorns right around the corner (about 8 hours from now), hopefully this topic stays active and the suggestions start getting implemented. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion so far.

Also, shout out to MakubeC for making a post on reddit about this topic. I’m a bit late in finding it, but any attention brought to these suggestions should help in getting some good changes, so thanks. A few people over there seem to be against the suggestions here (they didn’t state anything specific to possibly help though, so maybe they are just against any thief buffs at all). So I’ll say this just as a clarification for anyone reading this thread (mainly for non-thief mains):

Though it might seem like there are just a bunch of buffs being suggested here, they are mainly in areas that are currently under powered or general quality of life changes for thieves, not just buffing the the already powerful skills/traits. For example, some utility skills like Scorpion Wire are hardly ever used by any thief. This is partially because it’s so buggy/unreliable, but even if it was reliable, it would still be a bit weak probably. The suggestions here are to try and change things like that, so more(hopefully all) utility skills, weapon sets, and traits are viable. I’m sure every class could use some re-balancing changes like these to open up more variety in builds, though I think thief probably needs these changes the most right now.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Gallant Pigeon.5807

Gallant Pigeon.5807

Acrobatics will have to balanced with daredevil in mind. Otherwise some really nice ideas here.

Your suggested (Major|Grandmaster) Hard to Catch sounds like a weaker version of daredevil’s endurance thief. What about an alternative stun break. e.g. stolen skills break stun and give 2 seconds super speed.

-(Major|Grandmaster) Don’t Stop is weaker version of Unhindered Combatant. I would be in favour of a grandmaster to mitigate ranged damage, e.g:
10% damage reduction from projectiles. 25% chance to reflect projectiles above 600 range. 50% chance to reflect dodged projectiles under 600 range. 100% chance to reflect dodged projectiles under 200 range.

-(Major|Adept) Vigorous Recovery: When you gain vigor you cleanse a condition from yourself. Effectively the same as Daredevil’s Escapist’s Absolution, far too strong. Why not keep the original, but change it to: remove poison, burning and bleeding when at 75% health or below, gain 8s regeneration, gain 2 seconds of resistance. The resistance would prevent AOE condition fields ruining the passive effect.

Also, not entirely sure I agree with the 5 vigor duration on feline grace given how unreliable the “evade” notification can be. Maybe 7 seconds vigor with a 4 second ICD to prevent spam? As you said, even with 100% vigor effectiveness perma vigor isn’t exactly that strong.

(edited by Gallant Pigeon.5807)

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Gibimo.2193

Gibimo.2193

repost it after HoT comes out.
I’ll support your suggestion

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Laosduude.1690

Laosduude.1690

This is a great thread, the kind of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism I was hoping to see someone post since I’m not very good at it

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Loki.4139

Loki.4139

This is post is like a dream waiting to happen, a patch, an Idea… That we all want,
and will never get </3
All that looks so good, I rather reread this than play my thief lol

Lôkíi
Commander
[NNK]

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

Your suggested (Major|Grandmaster) Hard to Catch sounds like a weaker version of daredevil’s endurance thief. What about an alternative stun break. e.g. stolen skills break stun and give 2 seconds super speed.

I don’t really think it would be weaker than Endurance Thief, since it has the possibility to restore 100-125 endurance instead of only 50. I guess in some rare situations it could be weaker if you don’t end up dodging much.

-(Major|Grandmaster) Don’t Stop is weaker version of Unhindered Combatant. I would be in favour of a grandmaster to mitigate ranged damage, e.g:
10% damage reduction from projectiles. 25% chance to reflect projectiles above 600 range. 50% chance to reflect dodged projectiles under 600 range. 100% chance to reflect dodged projectiles under 200 range.

Good point. Don’t Stop would still be good to take if you choose a different dodge besides Unhindered Combatant though. I also like that alternative suggestion. I suggested something similar before on a different thread where you would gain 2 seconds of quickness when you steal and you evade projectiles while under the effects of quickness. It could possibly either have a 1s ICD or just a 66% chance to evade all projectiles if it would be too strong.

-(Major|Adept) Vigorous Recovery: When you gain vigor you cleanse a condition from yourself. Effectively the same as Daredevil’s Escapist’s Absolution, far too strong. Why not keep the original, but change it to: remove poison, burning and bleeding when at 75% health or below, gain 8s regeneration, gain 2 seconds of resistance. The resistance would prevent AOE condition fields ruining the passive effect.

Do you mean keep Pain Response instead of this version of Vigorous Recovery? If so that’s a possibility, especially if resistance or something was added to help make it better. Also, this would still be a bit weaker than Escapist’s Absolution because EA only has a 1s ICD. Thieves are a bit lacking in pure condition removal options (Pain Response and Shadow’s Embrace currently only remove damaging conditions) which is why I suggested this.

Also, not entirely sure I agree with the 5 vigor duration on feline grace given how unreliable the “evade” notification can be. Maybe 7 seconds vigor with a 4 second ICD to prevent spam? As you said, even with 100% vigor effectiveness perma vigor isn’t exactly that strong.

Sounds good to me. Traits that trigger on a successful evasion have the problem of sometimes not triggering if you dodge too early preventing the “evaded” message from popping up, even if that dodge moved you out of the range of the incoming attack. Lower ICDs (like what it is currently) only exaggerate that problem, so your suggestion should be good.

This is a great thread, the kind of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism I was hoping to see someone post since I’m not very good at it

This is post is like a dream waiting to happen, a patch, an Idea… That we all want,
and will never get </3
All that looks so good, I rather reread this than play my thief lol

Thanks guys.

It looks like we got a few more things implemented from this thread, that being 1 buff and 2 bug fixes. Death Blossom had 200 milliseconds added to the evasion, movement skill distances should no longer be effected by quickness/slow, and the Flanking Strikes trait is no longer doubly effected by Trickster. Hopefully more changes keep getting implemented, especially now that HoT is released and not as big of a focus.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

I updated the OP a bit based on my experiences so far since the launch of HoT. I also included some suggestions for Daredevil:

Daredevil

Traitline:
-Seems to be good overall.

Staff:

-(1.1-1.3) Auto Attack Chain is fine as is.

-Stealth Attack is fine as it is.

-(2) Weakening Charge should be cancellable through weapon stowing, dodging, etc. Also, its pre-cast and after-cast times needs to be reduced because they make this skill feel clunky, and it leaves you vulnerable for too long. Also, quickness doesn’t seem to speed up the animation for some reason.

-(3) Debilitating Arc should daze for 1/4 of a second and only cripple for 2-3 seconds.

• This should help staff get better use out of Pulmonary Impact and make the skill more useful overall.

-(4) Dust Strike should effect up to 5 targets instead of 3, and it should have a slightly larger cone/radius.

-(5) Vault could use a short vertical component to it (equivalent to the jump height) to make it feel a bit better. It also doesn’t always travel the full distance for some reason which needs to be fixed.

• As of now Vault can get caught on a small rock that you could just jump over otherwise. This would fit the theme and name of the skill too.

Physical Skills:

-Channeled Vigor is fine as it is.

-Impairing Daggers is fine as it is.

-Fist Flurry should be changed so only the last strike needs to hit to gain access to Palm Strike. Killing/downing someone with the first few hits should give you access to Palm Strike too.

• Currently a single random blind/aegis/etc can prevent you from gaining access to Palm Strike a bit too easily, and missing a few of the last strikes because you killed/downed someone shouldn’t punish you.

-Distracting Daggers should be instantly castable even while you are currently performing another skill etc, instead of interrupting whatever you are doing to throw them. Basically, it should work similar to Mesmer’s Power Lock.

-Bandit’s Defense should be changed to have a roll over skill when you block an attack which you have 5 seconds to activate if you choose. The roll over skill is the current knock down portion of the skill. The block duration could be increased to 1.5 or 2 seconds as well.

• Currently this skill can get you killed pretty easily when it automatically locks you into a knockdown attack animation after blocking an attack.

-Impact Strike: The downed state finisher portion of this skill should bypass blinds, blocks, etc like a normal finisher does.

Feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions as well.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Great suggestions. I too feel that debilitating arc needs a stun. I still think something more ( dark field) would be warranted for number 4.

All your suggested changes to utilities are sound.

In traits I would like to see havoc mastery become 6/6 adding to power and condition damage when in range.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Vermil.8172

Vermil.8172

-Bandit’s Defense should be changed to have a roll over skill when you block an attack which you have 5 seconds to activate if you choose. The roll over skill is the current knock down portion of the skill. The block duration could be increased to 1.5 or 2 seconds as well.

• Currently this skill can get you killed pretty easily when it automatically locks you into a knockdown attack animation after blocking an attack.

I believe that this spell’s knockdown should not have a “leap” animation towards the attacker, first because of the almost uncontrollable animation locks, and second because a sudden change of direction can be disruptive in the middle of the battle.

I believe that a point blank AoE knockdown could work well with the spell. Once you block an attack at melee range, you stop for a 1/2 second in order to place a swift spin kick across the floor, knocking down everyone at range.

By doing the point blank AoE, we would shorten the animation time, prevent any sudden change in movement from the thief, as well as forcing other players/ennemis to not gang-up at melee range on the thief.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Expose could be a lot like the Stealth Detection mastery~ the enemies are still in stealth but you see a red silhouette of them.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

leave my shadow’s embrace and Shadow’s Rejuvenation alone <.<

you might be ok entering and exiting stealth non stop. but i prefer to pick when i come out stealth. staying stealthed until i’m healed. (if i wanted to heal from stealth attack, i’d use the 15% crit heals from invigorating precision. if i stay in stealth, its cause i want to stay there longer to heal. not be forced to attack to heal. ditto for conditions)

i like thief for its long stealth.
otherwise i’d use mesmer.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

(edited by arenta.2953)

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

you might be ok entering and exiting stealth non stop. but i prefer to pick when i come out stealth. staying stealthed until i’m healed. (if i wanted to heal from stealth attack, i’d use the 15% crit heals from invigorating precision. if i stay in stealth, its cause i want to stay there longer to heal. not be forced to attack to heal. ditto for conditions)

Except Mesmers can stealth longer now

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

arenta.2953

Except Mesmers can stealth longer now

yeah….i still prefer theif’s stealth.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

Great suggestions. I too feel that debilitating arc needs a stun. I still think something more ( dark field) would be warranted for number 4.

A dark field could be pretty cool. It doesn’t seem like that would be too strong either.

I believe that this spell’s knockdown should not have a “leap” animation towards the attacker, first because of the almost uncontrollable animation locks, and second because a sudden change of direction can be disruptive in the middle of the battle.

I believe that a point blank AoE knockdown could work well with the spell. Once you block an attack at melee range, you stop for a 1/2 second in order to place a swift spin kick across the floor, knocking down everyone at range.

By doing the point blank AoE, we would shorten the animation time, prevent any sudden change in movement from the thief, as well as forcing other players/ennemis to not gang-up at melee range on the thief.

Yeah that would probably be better than what it does currently, but I think having a roll over skill for the knockdown portion would be even better since you have more control over it.

Expose could be a lot like the Stealth Detection mastery~ the enemies are still in stealth but you see a red silhouette of them.

I actually haven’t unlocked that one yet, but that could maybe work. Are you able to target the stealthed NPCs with the Stealth Detection mastery or can you only see their silhouette?

Staying in stealth healing up means you aren’t contributing to fights. Your enemy can heal up while you’re stealthed too, and they can also freely attempt to damage you while you’re stealthed (you can’t damage them back unless you want to get revealed and stop healing). You should be able to participate in fights more easily with this change because you won’t have to camp in stealth for long durations to benefit from it anymore. The suggested change to Shadow’s Rejuvenation has the potential to heal you for more than it does currently if you play more aggressive. None of these suggestions take away any stealth potential for thieves, and you would still have -25% damage taken for yourself and allies that you stealth from Resilience of Shadows.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Tahein.8370

Tahein.8370

Well i think this describes the state of the thief

Attachments:

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

arenta.2953

A dark field could be pretty cool. It doesn’t seem like that would be too strong either.

Yeah that would probably be better than what it does currently, but I think having a roll over skill for the knockdown portion would be even better since you have more control over it.

I actually haven’t unlocked that one yet, but that could maybe work. Are you able to target the stealthed NPCs with the Stealth Detection mastery or can you only see their silhouette?

Staying in stealth healing up means you aren’t contributing to fights. Your enemy can heal up while you’re stealthed too, and they can also freely attempt to damage you while you’re stealthed (you can’t damage them back unless you want to get revealed and stop healing). You should be able to participate in fights more easily with this change because you won’t have to camp in stealth for long durations to benefit from it anymore. The suggested change to Shadow’s Rejuvenation has the potential to heal you for more than it does currently if you play more aggressive. None of these suggestions take away any stealth potential for thieves, and you would still have -25% damage taken for yourself and allies that you stealth from Resilience of Shadows.

but i like to stealth for long periods of time to heal due to stuff like knockdowns, or cripples, or int regen(which i get 1 per 3 secoudns in stealth)

yes enemy can heal, thats the risk i take. but the appeal to stealth is the enemy doesn’t know what u going to do. or what your condition is. the longer they don’t see you, the more possibilities to what your doing. and the mroe confused they are

i like long stealth so i can heal allies who are downed, the regen lets me survive a few AoEs that are aimed at people around me. and the int regen lets me coem out refreshed.

if you make heals be based on coming in and out of stealth, then whats the point of stealth at all. your incentivizing not being stealthed. you might as well replace stealth with the extra heal and a short teleport. your basically using the venom if u want that

i like theif for the long stealth, the comfort i get in knowing the enemy doesn’t know where i am, what conditions i have on me, what my hp is at, and what my int is at.

for example, i stealth(shadow refuge), and get hit by their big hit.

they DOWN me. but they don’t see that. i can recover, and thanks to the stealth regen, its a little bit faster res. so i can get up, and get soem distance before they spot me. (provided they don’t notice their auto attack is cycling. aka hittign something…..)

or lets say i’m LOW on hp. but an ally is downed and about to die. i can res them, stealth, with a regen every secound, while ressing them, plus bonus res hp due ot trait. plus bonus healing due to the regen i apply for stealthing them.

long stealth has appeal. short stealth doesnt. if you take away the regen while stealthed and replace it with “start and end stealth” your not using stealth, you using a venom.
you might as well play a mesmer. their clones are FAR MROE EFFECTIVE than short stealth.

theif’s appeal is stealth to give it options like running away, resetting the fight(if you get a shadow refuge down and the enemy doesn’t auto attack the area u in…which most do), or sneaking past.

so leave my stealth alone. if u want to incentivize NOTt stayign stealthed until your ready to engage on your own terms. then go play mesmer or hell, go play a longbow ranger.

theres more to a fight than bashign someone. you sound liek a warrior when u focus just on aggressive moves. strategy is more important. like knowing when to fight, and when to run, when to hit and run. and when to NOT ATTACK WHEN U OUTMATCHED.

i’m not a mindless aggressor liek warrior
i’m not a tiny teleporting side to side mesmer

i’m a thief, picking when i fight. when i’m ready. on my terms. If i choose to not attack, thats my choice. thats why i like to heal without ruining the main appeal of theif.

so leave my stealth regen alone.

(edited by arenta.2953)

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Don’t see why daggers should have more poison.. rather bleed tbh.
I like the pistol change, though adding range would be nice, or a unblockable component like revenant.
Maybe an acrobatic trait that add 1200 range.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

Snip

I guess it’s a matter of opinion, with there being pros and cons to both versions. Most of the things you say you like about stealth are still achievable due to the nature of stealth, not because of stealth regen. You’re right that reviving an ally with the current version of the trait would probably be slightly easier, and that it could help when you Shadow Refuge then get downed and try to revive yourself while stealthed (pretty rare that you come out of this alive even with the current version of the trait though). You can still do both of those things with these changes, it would just be slightly harder. On the other hand, having a larger heal when you enter/exit stealth allows you to take the trait if you want to play more aggressive (by more aggressive I basically mean actually participating in fights instead of hiding in stealth for long durations not doing much) and still get great use out of it, unlike the current version. If you stay stealthed for 4 or less seconds on average currently, the suggested change to Shadow’s Rejuvenation will either not really effect you or be even stronger. I think this reworked version would be more beneficial on average. I’m not sure why you would want to have to stealth for 5+ seconds just to be able to stay in a fight a bit easier. Even though you might be able to stay in fights a little longer while stealthed, you aren’t able to do much.

With that said, I guess I wouldn’t be completely against leaving Shadow’s Rejuvenation how it is at the moment (though it’s not very fun to play against someone else using it either) if Cloaked in Shadow was changed to what’s suggested here, since it would accomplish something similar to the suggested reworked SR.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Don’t see why daggers should have more poison.. rather bleed tbh.
I like the pistol change, though adding range would be nice, or a unblockable component like revenant.
Maybe an acrobatic trait that add 1200 range.

By daggers having more poison, are you talking about the Dagger Training trait? If so, it already applies extra poison, it’s just a bit weak at the moment. As for increasing the range of pistols, I think I saw Anet post that they don’t want more than 1 trait effecting a weapon type for each class, so it would have to be the trait in Critical Strikes or just made baseline.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

My opinion will always be that active play is better than passive play. Camping stealth is a fairly passive way to play what should be a proactive class…so I support your rendition over the current one.

Edit: Also looking over your ideas at the start of the thread, I think Blinding Powder needs to be a stunbreak in addition to having reduced cooldown.

(edited by blarghhrrkblah.3412)

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Raiden.1375

Edit: Also looking over your ideas at the start of the thread, I think Blinding Powder needs to be a stunbreak in addition to having reduced cooldown.

Depending on how low the cool down would be decreased to, I might agree.

What do you guys think about this for a team support based trait:

-Thief’s Presence: You and nearby allies periodically steal boons when you attack.

• When you enter combat you and nearby allies gain a buff called Larcenous Aura which steals 1 boon when you strike an enemy (10s ICD). Works similar to traits like Vampiric Presence.

We don’t have a lot of team support options other than stealth, which isn’t always useful in the middle of fights. I think this would make for a good group support trait, but I’m not sure where it should fit in exactly. I’m thinking maybe having this trait instead of the Bountiful Interruption trait in Trickery, since the new Sigil of Absorbtion does the same thing as it.

I also edited Bountiful Theft so it should grant you the full duration/stacks of the boon you steal to yourself and allies like the other boon steals in the game. Right now it only gives you a short duration/single stack of the boon you steal.

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

arenta.2953

My opinion will always be that active play is better than passive play. Camping stealth is a fairly passive way to play what should be a proactive class…so I support your rendition over the current one.

you know the fractal where you fight the aetherblade captain?

those LONG segments where you are surviving and can’t attack.

and when the less agile members of your team can’t evade and go down.

don’t you wish you could stealth you and them for a long duration so u can res them before they die out. so when the non- attack period ends you can have your full party ready to go.

oh right. passive stealth. you don’t like that. i guess you prefer they die. cause passive stealth. so without that passive stealth heal, you’d die while ressing cause u have no heal.

well how about when raiding in WvW and in the middle of the fight your friend goes down. don’t you wish you could stealth both of u and res them instead of leaving him to die as the zerg goes past.

or, PvP. when that ranger is shooting arrows at you and a team mate. your VERY low hp. and your teammate is down.

rather than suicide rush, it would be nice to stealth the 2 of you, res him while recovering a bit of hp. and knowing if the ranger wants to finish the 2 of you off, he needs to come to you (there are ways he can end the stealth. but thats if he takes that skill)

it has places its useful. ALOT more than you think.

BONUS ROUND:
a WvW group is chasing you. your target is their ele as everything else is to tanky.

but your low hp.

but, it would be NICE to stealth, heal a bit, and w8 for them to pass you by, or disperse in the area, so you can hunt your target.

those random AoE attacks murder without the stealth heal over time.

mindless aggression is suicide.

(edited by arenta.2953)

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You can see + target them. Like those sniper mobs who always go into stealth and change location~ They can be can be seen, target and hit by anyone with the mastery while still remaining stealthed. That’s how reveal should work. ;s

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Total Thief Rebalance

in Thief

Posted by: Tercian.5709

Tercian.5709

Nice post OP true dedication to write all this.

Some of the idea are really good some of them like everything that is touching the stealth mechanic I don’t like it… They should just remove the Revealed debuff like it was when the game lunched.

Stealth is the core mechanic of this class end of story.
Some game you can perma stealth and no one cry about it.