Trap Thieves?

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: alvinjason.3109

alvinjason.3109

I have seen alot of thief builds in my time in GW2 but I have never seen this. Anyone run a viable trap built thief especially in wvw?

Devona’s Rest → NSP [SA] [TeaP]

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Nope. Traps are currently the weakest of all utility skills for thieves.

The closes traps ever came to being viable was for a brief time when Shadow Trap was used in sPvP to allow a thief to run back to home instantly…but that got nerfed.

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

…but that got nerfed.

Story of our lives?

“This is the story of our lives
Come and take a look at my eyes
Keep it real and tell me no lies
We’ve been waiting for you
Here we go
This is the story of our lives
Come and take a look at my eyes
Keep it real and tell me no lies
We’ve been waiting for you”
/(nerf)

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

hahaha, good one.

useful traps…

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

I still use shadow trap in PvP sometimes, especially on temple. The teleport cast time is like 2-3 seconds which sucks, but its overall an extremely useful utility. if someone steps on it 10 stacks of might is nothing to scoff at either. I think its really underrated and surprised it isn’t used more.

The main probably with traps is that they’re so visible. If they were invisible I’d love them, and probably run the knockdown trap and shadow step in pvp. 3 second knockdown on a 30second cooldown (24 traited) is no joke with a thiefs damage, but they are just too easy to avoid at the moment.

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I still use shadow trap in PvP sometimes, especially on temple. The teleport cast time is like 2-3 seconds which sucks, but its overall an extremely useful utility. if someone steps on it 10 stacks of might is nothing to scoff at either. I think its really underrated and surprised it isn’t used more.

The main probably with traps is that they’re so visible. If they were invisible I’d love them, and probably run the knockdown trap and shadow step in pvp. 3 second knockdown on a 30second cooldown (24 traited) is no joke with a thiefs damage, but they are just too easy to avoid at the moment.

and what’s funny is that rangers have invisible traps. and they can trait to freaking throw their traps, or get a 50% radius and effectiveness increase.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Roc.6143

Roc.6143

Trap is work, just depend on what you want to do as well as what position you are.

Look like not many people to use it, I think because trap was passive on most situation.

For me, I use trap in spvp and wvw. Traps are weakest in pve.

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Tripwire is quite funny to use sometimes, good to catch someone off guard in 1v1.
Shadow Trap, I swap this one for shadow refuge sometimes.
Ambush Trap, I use it sometimes with venomshare builds.
Needle Trap, let’s you lock someone down unloading plenty of damage, can be useful with a S/P or P/P build.

However traps are unreliable, lacks versatility, also weak if the opponent predicts them. They have no place in competitive play, and are limited only to 1v1’s and WvW roaming for some variation.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

I use Needle Trap in my for fun build, it works quite nice.

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

I just wanna put my thought here about thief traps and new siege trap.
It’s a wasted opportunity.
Was the opportunity imo to create something new, something like a new role for the thief.
Maybe an elite (or in other case as a steal improvement, but this is a thread about traps) able to “daze” sieges for a bunch of seconds, just 2 or 3 not too much with a big cooldown. Just the time to open a breach for allies, something like that. It would have added more sense to the thief that goes behind the enemy lines, more sense to the stealth stacking and a lot more sense to the worst debuff ever, the revealed crap.
Unluckily it won’t happens i guess, bad design is just.. bad.

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Depends some glass canon or SA thieves use shadow trap or needle one(not both),some S/P use the wire,some P/D use needle,venom share use ambush…not even worth picking the traits

That is saying you can’t have a full trap build your set identify you as a thief but that being say never heard of full trick,deception or signets builds being reliable so in the end they need a little boost to make it worth that slot.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Shadow trap is very good in sPvP. Not overpowered like it used to be, but still very powerful for node defending, especially when combined with thieves’ guild.

Signed, level 1 alt

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Eugenides.1274

Eugenides.1274

The trade-off is too much. They do far too little compared to some of the other very powerful utilities we have.

Attolis – Beyond the Wall [Crow]
Gandara

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: alvinjason.3109

alvinjason.3109

we have tried a thief zerg of ard 10+ with shadow traps before it got nerfed it was fun lol. we also used ambush trap and thieves guild loads of fun.

Devona’s Rest → NSP [SA] [TeaP]

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Dual pistol+Shortbow so full ranged works well with traps

Trap Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Trip Wire works well with S/P but since S/P is no good…
Also Shadow trap works well with D/D Backstab builds but with D/D you are forced to take SR BP and ShadowStep there is no slot left for it…