Trying S/D CS build

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Klowde.9876

Klowde.9876

Hello,

I wanted to create a build that still utilizes the strength of the boon stripping of the meta s/d 20066, but instead trait 6 into critical strikes to create a thief that basically relies on critical strikes to deal a majority of its damage. This build would be for pvp, and could be translated into wvw with some minor changes. What do you guys think? Any constructive criticism is welcome.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAsYVl0MpwpVOx7J8PNBPBt9AmdA8MKPpzg0WA-TJBFwACOFAt2foaZAAPBAA

Thanks,
Klowde

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Been trying to make it work, yes it does more damage. But without the boon strip on steal, you cannot kill Guardians/Eles as quickly. Also you die quicker since you don’t have protection stolen.

Its really annoying because I want it to work.

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Gallant Pigeon.5807

Gallant Pigeon.5807

How are you finding the damage? I tried something similar, but found it a little meh after dropping one of the %damage increase traits from grand master minor.

What I use in WvW:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAsYVl0MpwpVOx7J8PNBNBt9EGeE8OMfZLaFAA-TJBFwACOFAI3foaZAAPBAA

Not sure how well it translates to pvp though, I often just play the 20066 meta. I suspect the meta build is slightly better to CS varients in pvp as you can’t stack ferocity/ precision as high.

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

Klowde,

I like the build! I’ve tried something very similar.

My one complaint is that it does not have any poison application outside of shortbow. That, in and of it’s self isn’t too bad, but the poison every ~21 seconds helped to deal with regen, which even boonrip builds often can’t clear fast enough since regen is often quickly reapplied.

I miss the heal from mug too, but that’s manageable. I just have to join a Muggers Anonymous group and talk through my feelings.

Overall though, I think it does take a lot of other advantages. It does more damage, no doubt about it. It also ends up with slightly more HP than 6 acro funny enough, due to practiced tolerance.

One thing I’d do, with two signets, is take one of the signet traits, or even both (at the sacrifice of HP obv), since you still get fury from steal. — Then again i’d probably be running pack instead of Hoelbrak. But looking at Hoelbrak I actually like that, it’s interesting. Might you be tempted to lose Pain Response in favor of Power of Inertia? That, combined with the might from signets and the rune passive, in a build like this, might take you even further in to crazy damage territory. I know Might’s not what it used to be, but with might runes, you can definitely take advantage — and power is power!

I like how this build still keeps all the boonrips and, as importantly, the vigor, of 20066 (or 20246 as well, my personal fav s/d build).

Great build!

Kole —Thief
youtube

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Klowde.9876

I used bountiful theft in the trickery trait line, so I can still rip boons from eles and guardians, i just dont daze from steal. The idea behind this is less reliance on steal for dazes, and more CS for ending fights quickly after the initial burst.

How are you finding the damage? I tried something similar, but found it a little meh after dropping one of the %damage increase traits from grand master minor.

What I use in WvW:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAsYVl0MpwpVOx7J8PNBNBt9EGeE8OMfZLaFAA-TJBFwACOFAI3foaZAAPBAA

Not sure how well it translates to pvp though, I often just play the 20066 meta. I suspect the meta build is slightly better to CS varients in pvp as you can’t stack ferocity/ precision as high.

Yeah, I realized that losing two of the % damage traits in acrobatics and trickery in exchange for the one in CS would impact my overall damage output, but I found those two previous damage traits somewhat unreliable, whether it be the shifting initiative changing the damage modifier or the idea that I have to dodge to gain a damage increase. In exchange we pick up executioner, which greatly boosts the output at 50% health of the enemy.

I haven’t done much testing yet, and I’m also debating whether to keep berserkers or pick up something else, like assassins (which would boost crit chance greatly). Also considering picking up different runes, like eagle.

The build you posted doesnt have much traited survivability, as there are no points in SA or acro. How do you survive in a roaming environment with this build?

Klowde,

I like the build! I’ve tried something very similar.

My one complaint is that it does not have any poison application outside of shortbow. That, in and of it’s self isn’t too bad, but the poison every ~21 seconds helped to deal with regen, which even boonrip builds often can’t clear fast enough since regen is often quickly reapplied.

I miss the heal from mug too, but that’s manageable. I just have to join a Muggers Anonymous group and talk through my feelings.

Overall though, I think it does take a lot of other advantages. It does more damage, no doubt about it. It also ends up with slightly more HP than 6 acro funny enough, due to practiced tolerance.

One thing I’d do, with two signets, is take one of the signet traits, or even both (at the sacrifice of HP obv), since you still get fury from steal. — Then again i’d probably be running pack instead of Hoelbrak. But looking at Hoelbrak I actually like that, it’s interesting. Might you be tempted to lose Pain Response in favor of Power of Inertia? That, combined with the might from signets and the rune passive, in a build like this, might take you even further in to crazy damage territory. I know Might’s not what it used to be, but with might runes, you can definitely take advantage — and power is power!

I like how this build still keeps all the boonrips and, as importantly, the vigor, of 20066 (or 20246 as well, my personal fav s/d build).

Great build!

What do you think about replacing the sigils on the weapons to air/ strength for more might on crit? That should push my might to crazy amounts. Pain response is there to help with conditions, as is the hoelbrak, although I may have too much condition removal when considering how much more damage i could be getting. I think that may be a great challenge: finding the balance between damage and survivability. And yes, the poison is a potential problem, but I have yet to see how regen plays a role in my battles. Thanks for the feedback!

(edited by Klowde.9876)

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Woaden.9425

What do you think about replacing the sigils on the weapons to air/ strength for more might on crit?

Pain response is there to help with conditions, as is the hoelbrak

And yes, the poison is a potential problem, but I have yet to see how regen plays a role in my battles. Thanks for the feedback!

IMO probably 1 or 2 more str sources is enough, 3 might be overkill (Signets, Dodge, or On Crit), but maybe not, depends on if you like the tradeoff.

Fire/Air is great with your burst theme, tough to decide what’s best!

Poison helps tremendously vs Warriors, Cantrip Eles (Cele Ele esp), and that rare condi bunker/regen ranger, etc. or anyone else who often applies short duration regen. Also just helps in general vs someones heals of course. It helps you “get over the top” of their bunker and start applying Executioner damage.

Kole —Thief
youtube

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

CS S/D was a thing up until 2014 april(?). So you’re basically going back in time making a less viable, outdated S/D build.

Some notes:

• There is no Pvp build without Mug, you need 2 points in DA, the minor trait’s Poison is great too.
  • Not being able to interrupt stomps with Steal hurts the build.
  • You should still go for Strength runes or Pack.

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Woaden.9425

you’re basically going back in time making a less viable, outdated S/D build.

I find it off-putting when people say things like this. It’s one thing to constructively criticize a build or certain trait choices; it’s another to completely discount someones choices because it’s not considered the best at the moment. The world is not flat.

There was a LOT of criticism when people first started playing Trickery in zerker gear.

I actually agree with the spirit of all your bullet points, but with a less deterministic tone.

• Mug is great
  • Daze on steal allows you to interrupt rezes, which is a function S/D thief can’t easily pull off otherwise (CnD+Tac Strike takes a long time)
  • Pack and Strength runes will result in more DPS, all things considered

But lets keep in mind that there will be another shift, and another, and another — lets have fun with the theory crafting along the way and not keep our minds closed to change.

Kole —Thief
youtube

(edited by Woaden.9425)

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Klowde.9876

Hey guys,
I updated my build a little bit:

The build aims to have a high burst, and then kick into high gear after the person reaches sub-50% health. It helps finish uneven fights quickly, and allows you to move quickly around the map for such opportunities.

Re-traited for poison on steal: it really seems useful, especially for the purpose of this build. In exchange for this, I took a point out of acro because pain response and power of inertia really didn’t do what this build is meant to do. Practiced tolerance is meant to assist in survivability in exchange.

changed to Rune of the Eagle- more damage sub-50% and increases our crit chance, and ferosity.

The build relies heavily on critical hits for damage, and having high initial burst to get your opponent as close to 50% or past 50%, then hoping steal is up for the poison; then you go in for the kill. Still requires extensive testing, but its been working for me.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAsYVl0MpwpVOx7J8PRBPBt9sHQA8MKPRn+CCA-TJBFwACOFAk2foaZAAPBAA

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Shadowstarkirby.4072

Shadowstarkirby.4072

I really don’t see the appeal to 2/0/0/6/6 in S/D, why does the meta call for thieves to give up so much of their damage from CS for, what, Pain Response and Hard to Catch in Acrobatics? It just seems silly. Feline Grace is awesome, but past that, I feel that if you need more survivability, just take Shadowstep and use Shadow Refuge under emergencies where you can’t use it on a teammate. Damage just feels largely underwhelming otherwise with 1.2k and 2k critical auto attacks…

(edited by Shadowstarkirby.4072)

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

I really don’t see the appeal to 2/0/0/6/6 in S/D, why does the meta call for thieves to give up so much of their damage from CS for what, Pain Response and Hard to Catch in Acrobatics? It just seems silly.

Generally once in the fight, S/D stays in the fight. Its a little bit more tricky to sneak away and reset than P/D due to more initiative being used during the fight, not to mention S/D works best when you are relentlessly applying pressure on your target.

Acrobatics allows you to stay in the fight and keep applying that pressure as you will eventually get hit a few times throughout your incredible evasive attacks. It also increases your damage 10% (provided you ARE dodging and not just using flanking strike) while giving you access to many more dodges.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

I’d rather place 6 in DA as it promotes more consistent damage. Mug+quick ven+panic s.

Trying S/D CS build

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780