Unload + retaliation = sad thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Rissou.7213

Rissou.7213

Fix retaliation, needs a cooldown per tick.

My unload does 8 hits and retaliation does average 320 per hit, thats 2560 damage on 1 unload, so in 3 unloads it becomes 7680 damage done from retaliation on myself by an enemy not doing anything.

Makes me sad… very sad.

Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

retaliation is fine, now you can see when you get ret damage, if you spam 3 unloads it’s only your fault, and for the first one: hit esc key to stop the channeling.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

You’re not allowed to complain about retal unless you’ve played grenade engie.

Grenade barrage on a group with retal= 40 ticks of retal

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Bountiful Theft.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

WHY retaliation has no CD ?!?

in Thief

Rissou.7213

Guys, you dont seem to realise that some classes have 100% uptime on retaliation, and even if i would steal once every 36 seconds and maybe take that retaliation, they will get it up again in a few seconds.

Canceling one attack wont help much.

Thief.

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

that 100% uptime is based on boon duration chained with other skills the majority of the time. If you pay attention to their skills you Strip after a reset. Bountiful is a fairly strong trait and well trickery scales better with P/P then it does S/P

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

You have two weapon sets.
If you see someone with retaliation on and you have no way to strip it with your build, just switch to the other set with no channeling skills. Retaliation’s damage is worth nothing when against someone which deals high damage with a low number of hits.

That’s the point of retaliation, punishing people who don’t pay enough attention.

in Thief

Rissou.7213

Bountiful is not the answer to this lol, its a 2 boon steal once every 36 seconds, and its not 100% chance to even get the retaliation from the person on the steal, you can get a regen and swiftness instead!

Retaliation is broken against some skills, that does alot of hits in a short time, like Unload.

And yes, we have 2 weapon sets, but the point im trying to make is that P/P shouldnt be useless suicide weapon vs a person with retaliation.

Thief.

(edited by Rissou.7213)

in Thief

Posted by: Anubarak.3012

Anubarak.3012

The problem is Unload, not retaliation
Everytime I´m using P/P against the final boss in cliffside or at the first time you fight the grawl in vulcanic I die because of their reflection, unload deals about 11k dmg my thief has about 10.8k hp → I kill myself just because I´m using the worst weapon set.
Any solutions? Don’t use P/P

[rT]

in Thief

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

Im a perma retal Engie , retaliation is perfectly fine ty.

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Thief

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

Come on guys, don’t act like a victim.
Every profession has a skill which triggers retaliation a lot of times in a short period of time and Unload isn’t even the worse in this aspect.

But, guess what, only in the Thief forum people complains about it.

in Thief

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Unload + Signet of Malice = Gleeful Thief

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Thief

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

that 100% uptime is based on boon duration chained with other skills the majority of the time. If you pay attention to their skills you Strip after a reset. Bountiful is a fairly strong trait and well trickery scales better with P/P then it does S/P

Trickery scales better with P/P? Now that is new to me.

All is vain.

in Thief

ensoriki.5789

P/P gets all of the benefit of Trickery so it gets more out of investing in trickery. S/P is just a better set but doesn’t change im losing ~300 condi dmg since i don’t deal any.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

ummm bountiful theft in the condition traitline for p/p user? fail lol. maybe sneak attack but other than that never use trickery line with p/p

in Thief

Siva Mira.3546

P/P gets all of the benefit of Trickery so it gets more out of investing in trickery. S/P is just a better set but doesn’t change im losing ~300 condi dmg since i don’t deal any.

Like allow you to spam more UNLOAD?

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

Grenade and Flamethrower Engineers say Hi

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

in Thief

Posted by: joshisanonymous.5270

joshisanonymous.5270

The solution really is: don’t use attacks that deal damage with multiple quick hits against people with lots of retaliation.

Like someone else said, you have more than one weapon set. It sounds like you’re basically angry because you can’t use the same exact tactic against every enemy.

in Thief

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

L2P!

There, now I can say it to a thief!

Seriously though, from my perspective Retaliation as listed is fine, but only if it actually worked as it is listed.

Reflect incoming damage back to its source; stacks duration.

At present time it does not reflect incoming damage at all. Instead it basically counterattacks with damage disproportionate and regardless to the damage that was being dealt:
198.45 + (0.075 * Power)

As such, I feel that this formula should be removed and Retaliation changed to something more akin to Retribution from the original Guild Wars.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Retribution

This would change Retaliation to simply deal a portion of the actual incoming damage back to its source.

EXAMPLE:
Retaliation – Reflect 25% of incoming damage back to its source; stacks duration

• 10 little hits of 200 damage each (2000 total) would deal 25% (10×50=500) damage back to its source.
  • 1 big hit of 2000 damage would deal 25% (1×500=500) damage back to its source.

With such a change the effects of reflected damage are equal across the board and do not punish players that have attacks with multiple small hits compared to players that have attacks with single big hits.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Are you serious?

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

yeah the retal as is right now is kinda broken. it takes builds like p/d or p/p and just gives them 0 chance to win.

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Retal is pretty broken when you run a clerics/ptv w/ soldier runes shout guardian.

Engis, thieves got totally wrecked by my guardian when they run pistols/grenades ._.

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Instead of crying about retaliation in the forum, you could instead learn how to counter it. I rarely die against a retaliation build, and that’s because I’ve learnt how to counter it. If I start a channeling attack and I see retaliation pop up I’ll interrupt it immideately and try to break los or keep distance until I have a chance of fighting back or just run away – which is pretty easy as a thief.

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Retaliation is fine as it is. it’s bad enough it got nerfed already because of bads who don’t know how to play. You see the boon on someone, strip it from them. or use a different weapon. Don’t just attack blindly like a crazed monkey then cry OP because you couldn’t kill them in your squishy full zerker setup. You got punished for playing badly. Working as intended.

in Thief

Posted by: Rhogall.4179

Rhogall.4179

WHY does whining have no CD?

Tezz The Relentless – Vertically Challenged Guardian
Ilario Ciarenni – Mesmerizing Human Mesmer
[TEO] The Exalted Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I lol’d. Literally.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Thief

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

This is not something you should consider as a L2P issue, because the OP does make a valid point. Regardless of your class, you can be using skills that cause a lot of smaller attacks and that will result in a lot of damage on yourself (possibly killing yourself). You can easily see when someone has Retaliation in a small skirmish, but when you’re dropping attacks into a full retaliation energy zerg in WvW you’re bound to kill yourself instantly (and yes, everyone on my server zergs runs retaliation sharing builds either through combination or just as Guardian).

Aveneo.2068 makes a good point; it makes much more sense to get damage proportional to the damage inflicted, which makes retaliation effective against the cookie-cutter D/D and D/P as well. That’s what everyone wants, right, counters against thief? Then don’t kitten about someone playing a terrible P/P set and complaining about how silly a mechanism is.

99% of the Thief population is not affected as it is; just Backstab and laugh.

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

The only problem with retaliation is that it rewards too high for not having to do anything. I think it’d be perfect as is IF the guard had to land 1 melee attack at least every 5 seconds or else retal would end. How are you counter attacking (retaliating) when you’re 900 range away using scepter? That or make it only be allowed to proc once every .5s

If a tank guardian has protection and retal up (not a stretch to get) and a zerker thief is unloading on the guard, the thief is going to die first. Too high a reward when the player isn’t doing anything but using shouts.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Whining is fine man, this is just a l2p issue …

:D

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Yuujin.1067

Yuujin.1067

My unload does 8 hits and retaliation does average 320 per hit, thats 2560 damage on 1 unload, so in 3 unloads it becomes 7680 damage done from retaliation on myself by an enemy not doing anything.

Makes me sad… very sad.

We shall see where retaliation sits. I’ve only just recently started noticing it used a lot, of often in conjunction with confusion so that is two sources of damage punishing you for putting out loads of damage.

This has been on my engineer though, and it aligned perfectly with me messing around with my Flamethrower build so as you can imagine, my x10 1 attack was dealing lots of damage to me.

With that said, that was my primary source of damage, so it wasn’t like I could just interrupt an unload and switch to auto attacking but it never managed to kill me.

We can always rely on ANet to overnerf something though, so if the numbers get too crazy, I’m sure retaliation will be useless is no time.

Right now though, it really is fine. It isn’t even an issue of ‘learning to play’ as people like to toss out as if they are actually good at the game, it’s just been showing up a lot more lately. You’ll get used to it.

in Thief

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

Everytime I´m using P/P against the final boss in cliffside or at the first time you fight the grawl in vulcanic I die because of their reflection, unload deals about 11k dmg my thief has about 10.8k hp -> I kill myself just because I´m using the worst weapon set.

That’s your problem, right there.

in Thief

Posted by: Anubarak.3012

Anubarak.3012

Everytime I´m using P/P against the final boss in cliffside or at the first time you fight the grawl in vulcanic I die because of their reflection, unload deals about 11k dmg my thief has about 10.8k hp -> I kill myself just because I´m using the worst weapon set.

That’s your problem, right there.

Most thieves are running full zerker.. I you get hit you will die anyway. But it’s a little bit strange when you can survive much better with D/D (melee) then P/P (range)

[rT]

in Thief

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

P/P is just terrible. If you use P/P on a perma retal guardian who knows what they are doing, you either run away or die.

P/P needs work. I more so think Body Shot is one of the most useless Initiative drains I have ever seen.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Dunno? Why Stealth Attacks have no CD?

I more so think Body Shot is one of the most useless Initiative drains I have ever seen.

I’m pretty sure that’s the worst skill of the game. I mean, other professions have
useless skills too, but that one is actually harmful to the thief as it wastes initiative.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

If you really used 3 times Unload back to back before realizing there was retal, those 7k+ of dmg are totally deserved.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

This is just silly, retaliation is fine as is. Thieves have plenty of ways to deal with it, even if your specific p/p build doesn’t. I think one could make a good argument for why p/p is weak, and maybe this could be part of it. But honestly, you target an enemy, you can see the boons they have, and you can avoid attacking the one with retaliation up.

I do think it’s funny that you aren’t complaining about reflection…which I also don’t think is OP’d

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

You dont get perma retaliation on guardian unless you specifically trait and spec for it. It requires all your runes, 2 utilities, 30 points in the boon duration line, as well as the +25% retal duration trait, requires 10 in honor to make shouts recharge faster, requires you to use a great sword or hammer and use skills specifically to reapply it instead of using those things to do damage, and requires you to spam F1 instead of holding it back which does more damage.

You know how common this guardian build is? I’d guess 1 in 30 guardians actually use it, if that. This is a L2P issue with you, as this build is a pretty easy thing to counter on thief, just switch to S/D and use the #3 skill, as it relies almost entirely on boons to stay alive, and youll be taking all those boons and can facetank the guardian. If youre not fighting a guardian like this, just watch for retal to end and then spam unload, its not like kiting guardians is hard… Theyre one of the least mobile classes in the game.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

DanH.5879

retaliation should NOT reflect both ranged damage&melee
it’s OP

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

retal is obviously OP, guardians are just defending this mechanic because they can’t L2P without it.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

makes me sad to see that players like the OP make this profession look bad…
Retaliation has its own dmg color on your screen, after using the first unload and seen that retaliation is up, WHY would you unload 2 more times on a row!?

Makes me sad… very sad.

in Thief

Siva Mira.3546

The whole point is that he can make you interrupt yourself without having to use an interrupt skill.

I am not hating Reta and I like it when I play my Guardian. Reta has its pros and con but its pros and con are pretty bad in the game. The pros is that it can harrass these bad build like P/P and S/P. And the con is that it is hardly effective against any good builds in this game.

All is vain.

in Thief

Rissou.7213

Retaliation has its own dmg color on your screen, after using the first unload and seen that retaliation is up, WHY would you unload 2 more times on a row!?

Makes me sad… very sad.

ENOUGH!.. okay, enough with all your moaning and complaining about it is a l2p issue!

I cant believe I need to defend myself on this issue.

No, it doesnt take 3 unloads for me to see if there is a retaliation, i notice it on the first attack, because it has a big retaliation icon in your face when you attack them.

This has nothing to do with if i should switch weapons, run away, change target.. This is an issue with retaliation punishing on Pistol/pistol!

I want Pistol/pistol to have a chance to win against someone with retaliation, if anyone of you ever fought a thief with pistol/pistol, you wouldnt make these stupid comments, because a fact is you dont lose to a thief with pistol/pistol, its a broken weapon set.

Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Rhogall.4179

Rhogall.4179

Makes me sad… very sad.

ENOUGH!.. okay, enough with all your moaning and complaining about it is a l2p issue!

I cant believe I need to defend myself on this issue.

No, it doesnt take 3 unloads for me to see if there is a retaliation, i notice it on the first attack, because it has a big retaliation icon in your face when you attack them.

This has nothing to do with if i should switch weapons, run away, change target.. This is an issue with retaliation punishing on Pistol/pistol!

I want Pistol/pistol to have a chance to win against someone with retaliation, if anyone of you ever fought a thief with pistol/pistol, you wouldnt make these stupid comments, because a fact is you dont lose to a thief with pistol/pistol, its a broken weapon set.

Well guess what …
You found the rock to your scissor
The paper to your rock
The lizard to your spock

Basically, just because YOUR build is ineffective against ONE build ( or an aspect of it ) doesn’t mean said aspect needs to be changed. This isn’t you vs everything where YOU have to be able to kill everyone else and the rest should only be allowed to lay down and die at the press of your I WIN button.

Retaliation is fine. I will accept, however, that P/P is not in a good place right now. It needs “teh buffz”.

Tezz The Relentless – Vertically Challenged Guardian
Ilario Ciarenni – Mesmerizing Human Mesmer
[TEO] The Exalted Ones

in Thief

Siva Mira.3546

^
If only that was the case like Rock-Paper-Scissor but the true is you are killing yourself by attacking someone standing still. It took almost no effort nor skilled to kill someone with your Reta as long as you have the right build and play it with one hand while the other hand is holding Pizza.

All is vain.

in Thief

DanH.5879

^
If only that was the case like Rock-Paper-Scissor but the true is you are killing yourself by attacking someone standing still. It took almost no effort nor skilled to kill someone with your Reta as long as you have the right build and play it with one hand while the other hand is holding Pizza.

actually you need to press 1 button, and you WIN !
ok, ok….maybe sometime you need to actually use the heal skill….

in Thief

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

Makes me sad… very sad.

So.. you want an ability nerfed because you don’t know how to look for a boon to avoid spamming an ability on?

While were at it, nerf daze too, because thieves do not have situational awareness, therefore nerf other classes.

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

in Thief

Rissou.7213

So.. you want an ability nerfed because you don’t know how to look for a boon to avoid spamming an ability on?

While were at it, nerf daze too, because thieves do not have situational awareness, therefore nerf other classes.

Wait, do I need to mention that looking for retaliation is so old school, they implemented a new graphics on your screen that shows when you attack someone with retaliation, so STFU!

No, retaliation is fine against almost everything except skills that do rapid hits in a short time, like Unload, like what this whole thread is about.

If they gave retaliation a cooldown per tick on a target for like 0.5 seconds. Would mean that one unload that lasts for almost 2 seconds would only recieve 3-4 ticks of retaliation instead of 8 ticks.

Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

because a fact is you dont lose to a thief with pistol/pistol, its a broken weapon set.

Then restrict the whining to asking for a p/p buff/redesign, rather than whining about how it is hard to fight something when it is designed to hard counter you’re particular strategy.

The thing that a lot of people are hearing from this thread is “rock is imba, nerf rock and buff paper!”.

in Thief

Rissou.7213

because a fact is you dont lose to a thief with pistol/pistol, its a broken weapon set.

Then restrict the whining to asking for a p/p buff/redesign, rather than whining about how it is hard to fight something when it is designed to hard counter you’re particular strategy.

The thing that a lot of people are hearing from this thread is “rock is imba, nerf rock and buff paper!”.

Any skill that does fast hits in a short time suffers, for me as a thief its sneak attack on pistol/dagger and pistolwhip in sword/pistol and tbh, its a problem with retaliation, if it had a 0.5 second cooldown there would be no difference against all other people, but a huge difference for fast hitting skills.

Thief.

(edited by Rissou.7213)