Unrelenting Assault

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Edits since this was moved to our forum.

Hi there, I’d like to get some input on pistol whip. The skill roots you for the duration and has a huge windup. This is not a big deal in PVE, but in PVP anyone with a brain will easily avoid it. Comparatively, unrelenting assault is guaranteed to connect if you’re in range, grants might, deals more damage (according to wiki) and doesn’t have the awful windup time.

Now I’m fine with UA, and I’m not asking for a nerf or might and shadowstep on pistol whip. Just pointing out that UA is allowed to be strong AND easy to connect, while PW is strong but nearly useless in PVP because it rarely connects. It also feels very off compared to all of our high mobility weapon and utility skills. Can we get some kind of qol improvement for PW so it’s usable?

Note: immob does not make it usable, as stun amd immob breaks/stab are rampant in PVP.

(edited by Zodryn.4216)

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

Comparing classes. Classic.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

I’m not trying to compare classes. I’m saying Roy created an awesome skill, and contrasting it with a skill that is somewhat similar but almost totally useless in PVP due to wind up and root. I’d just ask for a fix from Karl on the thief forum, but have you ever been there? We haven’t had any real attention (for core specs) in ages. This is a kind request to have Roy pass something along to Karl.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

BlackDevil.9268

I’m not trying to compare classes. I’m saying Roy created an awesome skill, and contrasting it with a skill that is somewhat similar but almost totally useless in PVP due to wind up and root. I’d just ask for a fix from Karl on the thief forum, but have you ever been there? We haven’t had any real attention (for core specs) in ages. This is a kind request to have Roy pass something along to Karl.

As main being a mesmer I surely know how frustrating it can be to get no attention. Then agian, you are comparing classes. The skills are not similar at all. The only thing that is the same is the evade. You might aswell compare the sword evade to this one and ask for a multiple target one.
Just cause it’s a nice skill, it doesn’t mean the exact same should come to another class. Thief has many nice skills too, but you don’t see revenant ask for a shadow refuge or the stealth mechanic ether.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: Valfaros.6908

Valfaros.6908

Pistol Whip was some time viable in pvp jup it’s not anymore but still not a bad skill. +Pistol Whip has no CD does more dmg while it stunns, evades and hits multible targets the downside of this skill is the root you could change it to be casted while moving but that would just cause that the skill has to be nerved A LOT dmg wise.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Comparing classes is exactly what you’re doing, OP. They’re both entirely different classes that have different considerations for their balance. Currently, the Revs’ skills are under review so not everything is 100% concrete, though things are starting to look like their final version.

As far as why a mobile pistol whip sounds like a terrible idea? I present you initiative. A thief is able to cast this skill multiple times, does more damage (since it cleaves), and it offers a daze. You want a mobility feature on top of that so you can run away with dazing, cleaving, damaging, evade frames? Way too much to ask for.

In comparison, Revs’ UA is on a 12 seconds hard cooldown, and we are effectively rooted in the sense that we cannot control our movements once the skill is underway. Yes, we can predict our initial hit, but from there we are stuck in our mist-stepping animation unless we cancel the skill (which I can’t say I ever tried to do). Our damage is great against single target, though throw in a couple more bodies and the damage is literally split across said initial and additional targets.

Rev is the new class after all; it needs the attention it’s currently getting. Once we get through the initial glamour we’ll probably see a lot less of the 1-on-1 interaction we’ve been getting from Roy.

Edit: Thread was moved to Thief forums

(edited by savacli.8172)

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

I am not asking for UA on thief. I just want pistol whip to be usable, whatever that looks like.

I compare it because UA is usable in PVP and PW isn’t. Not to mention it severely clashes with the high mobility concept of thief while UA meshes nicely with the Shiro concept.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

BlackDevil.9268

‘’I compare it because UA is usable in PVP and PW isn’t. ’’
You mean like the other 150-200 usable skills? It rather seems to me you’re just asking for buffs on the wrong forum section

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Sigh…another QQ thread.

*puts corn to pop in the microwave

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

‘’I compare it because UA is usable in PVP and PW isn’t. ’’
You mean like the other 150-200 usable skills? It rather seems to me you’re just asking for buffs on the wrong forum section

Because those other 200 skills are also high damage evading sword skills…also, thief builds are heavily defined by their dual skill. Pistol whip’s uselessness is the entire reason nobody uses S/P. Give it a qol improvement and people may actually try it. And again, I ask here because Roy seems to have good ideas and is actually communicating. Maybe he could help Karl brainstorm improvements? I don’t know why people are getting so worked up. I’m appreciating Roy’s work, not QQing about rev being OP.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

Join us and become a future revenant!

Get unrelenting assault and more!

Leave your barren, neglected thief main behind!

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Leave the shadows and join the mists.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

Join us and become a future revenant!

Get unrelenting assault and more!

Leave your barren, neglected thief main behind!

Lol, I do have a slot for rev and I’m sure I’ll play it. I don’t anticipate giving up thief, but I may end up with two mains.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: hino.3157

hino.3157

After playing on the beta events, I can’t help but feel as if though Revenant captures a lot of what I’ve originally liked about the Thief class. It’s going to be pretty difficult to drop Thief since I’ve been with it since I started playing and mained it through all of the nerfs, but I’ll probably wind up looking into Revenant a lot more, too.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: Shimekiri.1580

Shimekiri.1580

Because those other 200 skills are also high damage evading sword skills…also, thief builds are heavily defined by their dual skill. Pistol whip’s uselessness is the entire reason nobody uses S/P. Give it a qol improvement and people may actually try it. And again, I ask here because Roy seems to have good ideas and is actually communicating. Maybe he could help Karl brainstorm improvements? I don’t know why people are getting so worked up. I’m appreciating Roy’s work, not QQing about rev being OP.

All I’m going to point out is that don’t use hyperboles, they’ll just undermine any kind of point you’re trying to make. PW might not be “perfect” for PvP, but it is perfectly fine in PvE. And yeah… If you wanted to add mobility into the mix, you’d need to give up atleast the evades and the stun.(Saying this as a person who plays S/P thief as a main.)

TL;DR, PW isn’t anywhere near useless and S/P is played by people. S/P just isn’t the most dominant PvP set, which is the case with many other weapon sets of other classes aswell.

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I just hope they add a cinderella staff skin so that I may finally enjoy my daredevil

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Unrelenting Assault

in Thief

Posted by: Cyrus.4105

Cyrus.4105

After playing on the beta events, I can’t help but feel as if though Revenant captures a lot of what I’ve originally liked about the Thief class. It’s going to be pretty difficult to drop Thief since I’ve been with it since I started playing and mained it through all of the nerfs, but I’ll probably wind up looking into Revenant a lot more, too.

This post speaks to me.

When I first made my thief over three years ago, I made him because I saw a class that wasn’t shoehorned into the usual, typical, stealthing backstabby gank role that every sort of rogue class ends up being in most other games.

I built a swashbuckler, a duellist, a sword wielding agile fighter who could (through skill and wiles) stand toe to toe with bigger, scarier targets.

Now fast forward to the third anniversary, we’re all but stuffed into needing to be a +1/decap/rezbot. We stealth cheese wherever we can, we zip around the map and if another class so much as glances at us the best option is to just run away because it’s not worth the time and effort required to begin a 1v1 where we’ll have to perform five times as well as the person we’re fighting just to SURVIVE. Not win, survive.

I understand that when adding a new class to a roster that already occupied a wide variety of the roles we could have even conceptualized some existing classes have to suffer through seeing something they thought was “theirs” be performed better by something new and shiny. Guardians felt the same thing watching the Herald reveal as I felt watching the Shiro reveal.

The balance team seem to have this notion that being good at +1ing and backstabbing somebody already fighting is a powerful role. That condi cleanse for us is “situational” rather than “much needed”. That the ability to stand EVEN SLIGHTLY toe to toe with the likes of a Warrior or a Guardian without needing to scurry around through smoke fields for half an hour is something that demands to be relegated to an elite spec of questionable vision.

That the thief, ultimately, is strong. We aren’t strong. Everything we do is done better (or in the best case scenario as good as us) by other classes. I don’t want to have to roll Revenant, slap some plate on, and get used to grimdark effects in order to play an agile swordfighter.

Cyrus Neveris – Watchers of the Vale [WoV]