Upcoming changes to Thief - Flanking Strikes

in Thief

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

Hello,

So looking at the upcoming changes to Trickery, I really like most of it, but I noticed Flanking Strikes change is less than impressive.

Currently we have “Flanking Strikes increases damage when attacking a foe from behind or the side by 5%.”

With the change it becomes “Gain haste when attacking a foe from behind or the side.”

So basically they mixed Flanking Strikes and Critical Haste to get a weaker new trait.

Unfortunately, instead of just giving off Quickness it gives Haste, which kills your endurance.

Now I think it makes this trait really weak because it puts you in a bad position, similar to what randomness of Hard to Catch would do. I explain.

When using Haste as a skill you can time it with Signet of Agility to mitigate the effect of losing your endurance, but on a trait it’s harder to predict when it’s going to come in effect and so it could really put you in more danger than it would help you.

Therefore I suggest either simply grant Quickness and not Haste, or change the trait entirely to grant Initiative, which would remain in the spirit of Trickery.

Flanking Strikes: Grant 6s of Quickness when attacking a foe from behind or the side.

OR

Flanking Strikes: Regain Initiative when attacking foe from behind or the side.

Thanks.

Lady Minuit

(edited by Lady Minuit.3186)

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I like the idea of just granting quickness. Quickness already shortens evade frames and leaps, so it’s already a tradeoff. If they immobilize, chill, or somehow else create a gap, both your offense and defense will already be reduced.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

It should absolutely be Quickness, and not Haste. kitten , Haste is a stunbreaker – why would you need a stunbreaker when you’re not stunned?

Maybe 6 seconds and a 60 second CD could be changed to 3 and 30, but in no case should it not be Quickness.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

It was even said on stream that they were heavily considering removing the Haste and just having Quickness.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

It was even said on stream that they were heavily considering removing the Haste and just having Quickness.

Ok I don’t remember them saying that but good to know

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Lady Minuit

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

It’s a strange choice. I agree the stun break is a bit odd. However, consider two things:

You can attack someone from the side/behind instantly with a Mug Steal, so that could act as a poor mans stun break – which is what I use a stun-steal for now in some situations, anyway!

Also, Haste is a trick. So it would remove a condition, if you have that traited.

You’d lose both of these things if it was converted to simple quickness.

I’d like it and be interested in it either way tbh.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Hello,

So looking at the upcoming changes to Trickery, I really like most of it, but I noticed Flanking Strikes change is less than impressive.

Currently we have “Flanking Strikes increases damage when attacking a foe from behind or the side by 5%.”

With the change it becomes “Gain haste when attacking a foe from behind or the side.”

So basically they mixed Flanking Strikes and Critical Haste to get a weaker new trait.

Unfortunately, instead of just giving off Quickness it gives Haste, which kills your endurance.

Now I think it makes this trait really weak because it puts you in a bad position, similar to what randomness of Hard to Catch would do. I explain.

When using Haste as a skill you can time it with Signet of Agility to mitigate the effect of losing your endurance, but on a trait it’s harder to predict when it’s going to come in effect and so it could really put you in more danger than it would help you.

Therefore I suggest either simply grant Quickness and not Haste, or change the trait entirely to grant Initiative, which would remain in the spirit of Trickery.

Flanking Strikes: Grant 6s of Quickness when attacking a foe from behind or the side.

OR

Flanking Strikes: Regain Initiative when attacking foe from behind or the side.

Thanks.

Not going to happen because of Vigorous Recovery.

Flanking Strike is obviously a trait for S/x builds that normally doesn’t rely on dodge rather on evades. So why Vigorous Recovery? That’s because most S/x builds uses Withdraw and with Vigorous Recovery, it replenishes Endurance. Not to mention Bountiful Theft.

So, I would have to disagree with your proposals.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Terra.8571

Terra.8571

Haste now has had the endurance loss part removed and gained a few seconds of fury. So this trait which benefits from 20% reduc in tricks, essentially means thieves can get 12s every 48s of quickness when paired with the haste ability. That’s 25% haste uptime – more if yo have any boon duration. This is interesting for a lot of builds – s/p for pistol whip, p/p for unload and even d/d for auto attacking. Can’t wait to try this out.

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Haste now has had the endurance loss part removed and gained a few seconds of fury. So this trait which benefits from 20% reduc in tricks, essentially means thieves can get 12s every 48s of quickness when paired with the haste ability. That’s 25% haste uptime – more if yo have any boon duration. This is interesting for a lot of builds – s/p for pistol whip, p/p for unload and even d/d for auto attacking. Can’t wait to try this out.

Yup, this is pure buff. This is quickness + fury when you flank, so you can actually control when you get the quickness instead of just getting it on a random crit.

Yea, you will get it less frequently (lower cd on Critical Haste than on Haste), but you get 6 seconds instead of 2.

In short: You get a controllable quickness buff plus fury for three times the duration at the cost of twice the cooldown (well, less than twice with the Trickster trait).