Valkyrie Armor

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Are you telling me that the second $50 is somehow worth less than the first?

Its still $50, but its less meaningful than the first $50. What if you had been given 50 trillion dollars, then someone gave you 50, would you care? Is it still $50? Is its impact felt less now that you already have 50 trillion?

It’s sad you dont get it. Youre like Kanye West in the fish sticks episode of Southpark.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

Resorting to personal insults is only going to get this thread locked.

$50 trillion or not, $50 is still $50.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Atropos.7849

Atropos.7849

Are you telling me that the second $50 is somehow worth less than the first?

Its still $50, but its less meaningful than the first $50. What if you had been given 50 trillion dollars, then someone gave you 50, would you care? Is it still $50? Is its impact felt less now that you already have 50 trillion?

It’s sad you dont get it. Youre like Kanye West in the fish sticks episode of Southpark.

Its impact would be relatively less, but not objectively less. Regardless of where you are getting your DPS from, it’s all the same measure. Diminishing returns in at least a game context means if you had lets say 1000 precision which gave 30% crit (I have no idea if that’s right or not), but 2000 precision gave 50% crit. The second 1000 has diminishing returns because it means less. Crit damage is static because when you get 1%, you get 1% more crit damage. It doesn’t matter if you have 10% crit dam or 100% crit damage, it will always give the same.

At 50% crit and 100% damage, an increase of 4% crit is an average strike damage of 1.54 your base hit.
An increase of 10% crit is 1.55 your base hit.

So the crit damage will do more in this example. As your crit rate goes up, so does the effect crit damage has on your DPS. What wish is trying to say I think is that is that .01 difference in DPS worth a 10% hit in HP?

I’m not an expert on GW2 stats, so I can’t say whether or not wish is right.

An mix of valkyrie and berserker will always have higher DPS than a similar mix of berserker/knight, just like full berserker is more DPS than a mix. Whether or not it is efficient is up for debate.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Emissary.3792

Emissary.3792

You guys are missing the point. It’s used for a relative comparison of two different stats, and which will give the higher net benefit.

If you have a dollar value and multiplier, and you have the choice of +0.1 to the multiplier or +$10, which is “better”? Well the answer is, that depends on what the dollar value an multiplier started at.

If the dollar value is in the millions and the multiplier started at 0, obviously take the multiplier increase. If the multiplier is already at 99999 and the dollar value started at 0, obviously take the $10. What wish is calling ‘DR’ is the effect that once you’ve stacked the dollar amount to 100 million, adding $10 (or even $50) is like kitten ing in an ocean compared to taking a small increase in multiplier. And vice versa.

Similarly, your damage from critical hits is (roughly) critical chance * critical multiplier. So:
IN DUNGEON PARTIES WHERE YOU WANT MAX BOSS SUSTAINED DPS – critical chance is fairly low while critical multiplier is already very high. So you benefit more from critical chance.
IN WVW WHERE YOU ONLY EVER BACKSTAB ONCE AND RUN (if that’s your thing) – critical chance is fixed at 100% due to a trait, so only critical multiplier matters.

P.S. Wish’s argument for valk vs. soldier, is that if you want to hit a specific EHP target, you can do so with Soldier’s and maintain higher DPS than if you reached the same EHP with Valkyrie. I.e. you use fewer Soldier’s pieces than Valkyrie to reach the same EHP.

(edited by Emissary.3792)

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Precision is never better than crit damage if you got hidden killer or 50 % + critchance.

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

In fact you actually crit more than 50 % with a 50 % chance, due to fury/hdden killer

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Good words

I like you, you speak for my arguments better than I do.

Precision is never better than crit damage if you got hidden killer or 50 % + critchance.

That depends entirely on how much of your damage comes from those ‘from stealth’ attacks, like I said earlier.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

I would go with a mix of Valkyrie and berserker for pve (if you are having trouble surviving) for the fact that as a Thief, the amount of dmg you do as a DD Thief, already makes you an agro magnet. Adding Knights into the mix, which has toughness in it, further exacerbates the problem.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

I would go with a mix of Valkyrie and berserker for pve (if you are having trouble surviving) for the fact that as a Thief, the amount of dmg you do as a DD Thief, already makes you an agro magnet. Adding Knights into the mix, which has toughness in it, further exacerbates the problem.

I assume you haven’t read the topic, lol. :P

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Walker.3056

Walker.3056

I dont know where you are that disagree with wish math are from but plz fight for a governmant that provides better education and advanced math classes not 1+1 math.

Valkyrie Armor

in Thief

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Just remember that stats aren’t everything. Either gear set will perform more or less the same at a given skill level, this is all just about min-maxing.

Stats are everything.

If two people of equal playing skill duel, the one who wins will be determined by which of them has a better distribution of stats if neither messes up.

That was my whole point though. Prioritize skill, worry about stats later. No point in fussing about stats if you haven’t achieved a high level of skill. Some stat distributions may also only be superior under certain circumstances and not others, so it depends on what the player is attempting to achieve.