Venomshare build, can't get the hang of it

in Thief

Posted by: Faction.4013

Faction.4013

Hey dudes!

I’ve got a Thief with almost 80% ascended Vipers. Rest is Exotic Vipers. The jewelry & accessories I’m using are Sinisters and such from the LS2 achievements.

The build I’m using is:
Deadly Arts – 1-3-1
Trickery – 1-2-3
Daredevil – 3-3-1

When I’m running Fractals & zergs in Dragon’s Stand, I’m seeing Bleeds at roughly 2,000, and Poison at 2,500 to 4,000. Now I’m seeing videos of people doing over 20,000 poison ticks in Raids, now I get that the damage from the whole raid totals up, but I’m doing horrible damage it feels like when I’m just soloing or in Fractal groups. Highest I got was on Dulfy in the Urban BG fractal at 10,000 Poison ticks.

So what’s the proper rotation here? I’m using 2 daggers, Spider, Skale & Basilisk Venom & Impairing Daggers as utilities.

Normally I just blow all my CDs on the approach, hit dodge to get Impaling Lotus up, then hit Death Blossom until I’m out of Initiative. Then Steal, then repeat. Is it just a naturally low-output build if you’re not in an optimal group? Or am I just kittening up royally?

(edited by Faction.4013)

in Thief

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Likely comes down to a lack of buffs. When you see the raid guides, the player has 25 might, ranger spirits, warrior banners, quickness, etc. The other things are in a solo setting you don’t have teammates to share your venoms with which really hurts you DPS with this building. Lastly if you are fighting many enemies at once, each charge of each venom only hits one target so if the charges go to all different targets, the damage on any one of them will be much smaller.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in Thief

Faction.4013

Lastly if you are fighting many enemies at once, each charge of each venom only hits one target so if the charges go to all different targets, the damage on any one of them will be much smaller.

Never looked at that aspect of it honestly…Now I can see why I’m dismantling bosses, but against crowds, I’m limited.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Vuln stacks are important too. In boss fights there tends to be 25 vuln stacks on an enemy. Just keep an eye on that.

If you want an internal might source and want to share you really only have p/p unload as an option. You might want to try that just to see the difference in output when you have 25 might on. I am not suggesting you use p/p (although it can be effective and gets rid of multiple target issue ) , I am just suggesting you see how big an impact might makes.

Obviously potent poison makes a difference here .

Given many bosses and open world stuff do not use cleanses, durations can make a significant difference as well. Even dagger mastery can make an impact , espeically on a db build given the number of strikes. Try and maximize your whrils inside fields others set up as well. If you get a poison field out there via SB as example and then DB through ticks will be much higher.

The single largest problem in group fights is of course maximizing the number of people you load the venoms on. Once a group starts to scatter you can not catch as many in the circle.

in Thief

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

If you’ve got the same utilities as in the video you’ve seen then it all come down to you’re party lacking the ability to maintain Fury, 25 Might and 25 vuln.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Thief

Faction.4013

Vuln stacks are important too. In boss fights there tends to be 25 vuln stacks on an enemy. Just keep an eye on that.

If you want an internal might source and want to share you really only have p/p unload as an option. You might want to try that just to see the difference in output when you have 25 might on. I am not suggesting you use p/p (although it can be effective and gets rid of multiple target issue ) , I am just suggesting you see how big an impact might makes.

Obviously potent poison makes a difference here .

Given many bosses and open world stuff do not use cleanses, durations can make a significant difference as well. Even dagger mastery can make an impact , espeically on a db build given the number of strikes. Try and maximize your whrils inside fields others set up as well. If you get a poison field out there via SB as example and then DB through ticks will be much higher.

The single largest problem in group fights is of course maximizing the number of people you load the venoms on. Once a group starts to scatter you can not catch as many in the circle.

I’ve been playing with it more, and it’s getting MUCH better. Had my highest Poison ticks today at 12,000, with 6,000 Bleeds in a Fractal. I also noticed the scattering issue too, I try and wait a sec or 3 for the group to bunch up on the boss, then start my rotation.

Speaking of rotations, I’m pretty much on-top of it now. Simple really. Just small trash mobs tank my DPS, I’m mostly stuck autoattacking / DBlossoming & Dodging, as I don’t want to spread the poisons out across several low-life mobs that take about 4 seconds to nuke.

If you’ve got the same utilities as in the video you’ve seen then it all come down to you’re party lacking the ability to maintain Fury, 25 Might and 25 vuln.

Agreed, however, I’m not really comfortable yet on walking into a full-blown raid / top shelf group setting. Mostly doing junior fractals to get the hang of it. So you’re not going to see might stacking and whatnot to the extreme you’d normally see in a higher tier of content.

It’s working nicely now. Just need to finish gearing out my missing ascended pieces, and finally get a group for Extreme Mode “Hearts & Minds” so I can get my Viper’s Mordrem Loop…impossible to get a group going for that.

Thanks very much, guys!

(edited by Faction.4013)

in Thief

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Hey, Mass! My general suggestion here is to get a Mesmer friend to come into the special forces training area with you and set up 3 illusions against a golem. That coupled with the Mesmer’s auto attacks will give you four other targets to proc your venoms, which will let you get representative numbers on the golem to see how your DPS rotation fares.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Thief

Faction.4013

Hey, Mass! My general suggestion here is to get a Mesmer friend to come into the special forces training area with you and set up 3 illusions against a golem. That coupled with the Mesmer’s auto attacks will give you four other targets to proc your venoms, which will let you get representative numbers on the golem to see how your DPS rotation fares.

DUSK!

Yeah, that’s totally what I plan on doing here in the next few days. I’m on a bad schedule this week, but next week I’ll be all over it for seriously.

Miss y’all!

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

the way you play vemon share is you just spam choking gas on the ground then anyone who whirl in your choking gas become your poison stack add to your total dmg. how you see super high numbers.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

That’s not really specific to venoms though.

For venoms the key is sharing to the most people, periodically, to maximize total damage output.

Of course, in PvE you might need to swap to cc venoms to take out a breakbar rather than try to increase your personal damage for the encounter.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator