Terissimo.6852

May be helpful especially for new thieves
https://youtu.be/eS4rgCRwCBw
Let me know what do you think about it.

[Video]11 Things That Every Thief Should Know

in Thief

Posted by: Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

Great video and Im sure its very useful for new players! :)

(edited by Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623)

in Thief

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

Watching videos like this helped me when I first started playing. If you’re doing more, here are some suggestions:

1) Shadowshot backstab

2) Impairing daggers + backstab: casting impairing daggers in stealth from ~500+ range and starting backstab + steal before the daggers hit)

3) Shadowstep fake disengage: shadowstep away from opponent then shadow return + steal to get back to the opponent for a surprise burst and interrupt

4) Timing heartseeker to hit an engi as soon as his passive elixir S runs out

5) Blinding powder + backstab (for a faster, much less telegraphed backstab)

6) Shadow step + return safe stomp

7) Swapping to shortbow with superior sigil of speed (1s of quickness) in stealth from near 900 range. This allows thieves to fire 2 surprise shots before being revealed for double the immob.

in Thief

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

tl;dw
list pls

in Thief

Posted by: Terissimo.6852

Terissimo.6852

Watching videos like this helped me when I first started playing. If you’re doing more, here are some suggestions:

1) Shadowshot backstab

2) Impairing daggers + backstab: casting impairing daggers in stealth from ~500+ range and starting backstab + steal before the daggers hit)

3) Shadowstep fake disengage: shadowstep away from opponent then shadow return + steal to get back to the opponent for a surprise burst and interrupt

4) Timing heartseeker to hit an engi as soon as his passive elixir S runs out

5) Blinding powder + backstab (for a faster, much less telegraphed backstab)

6) Shadow step + return safe stomp

7) Swapping to shortbow with superior sigil of speed (1s of quickness) in stealth from near 900 range. This allows thieves to fire 2 surprise shots before being revealed for double the immob.

Thanks for feedback :P There is much more but I didnt wanted to make 30 min video. I want to see if people find this useful and then maybe I will work on another one. Impairing daggers and stab I already explained in previous guide tho.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

I want to see if people find this useful and then maybe I will work on another one.

Frankly, yes and no. Yes because there are some good tips, no because I haven"t learned anything and because the weapon sets I use the most are not covered (staff / P/P). But still, I guess I may help new players.

2 remarks though:

- Withdraw: I used to do that, now I simply turn the camera backward manually. If you have your mouse sensibility correctly adjusted (which is kinda required for playing thief anyway), it’s faster and less confusing than hitting several shortkeys.

- Heartseeker + BP, Whirling Axe + BP, etc: as you know, it’s called combo fields. You’ve taken 2 examples, there a zillions from the thief’s playbook. I think explaining how combo fields work (at least smoke, and eventually dark and ethereal – think Throw Gunk) and quoting the main finishers would help new or not so new players more.

in Thief

Posted by: Set.7461

Set.7461

good tips. I agree with Sir Mad about the combo fields/finishers. That’s a game tip, not specifically a thief tip. Not taking anything away from op. I also make YT videos(not gw2 related) and it’s not easy to produce.

One tip I would like to see added that I’m not sure many people know is what I call the “Ghetto Vault”. It goes like this.

Infiltrator’s Arrow > wait for arrow to fire > Bound >weapon swap. Yes you spend 6 ini instead of 5 and a dodge but it’s 900 range instead of 600. And yes, it’s not as strong. Good for opening duels when you don’t want to steal right away.

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Pretty useful for starters I’d say!
At the 3300 range backstab part, it’s worth noting that you must use Steal as last gap closer, otherwise you’ll just get the “out of range” message. It’s also possible to pre-cast Black Powder into ShadowStep to pull of that combo faster (Black Powder -> ShadowStep -> Heartseeker -> Infiltrator’s Signet -> (Backstab ->) Steal (-> Backstab)).

Another potentially useful one for Thieves that do a lot of group fighting (Focus Party for example) is the Stowing of Shadowshot, so that you don’t get revealed. Allows you to gap close without leaving stealth, or prevent you from porting onto the wrong guy and wasting your backstab.

And ofcourse, the good old Sword #2 trick where you jump so that you don’t leave a returning point.

If you do another part, you could include those maybe… If so, maybe stuff in the Weakening Charge (Staff #2) into Steal/Infiltrator’s Signet to land all 3 hits on the same target?

That’s the beauty of thief… there’s so many little intricate tricks you can do!
But yeah, solid video and I’m sure you’ll be helping some starters with pointers and a little prod to get them creative in their thinking

EDIT:
Read in one of the reactions to it about safestomping…
One I hardly ever see is where you use Shortbow’s Infiltrator’s Arrow → Start Stomp → Use steal/shadowstep/infiltrator’s signet to port back ^^

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

(edited by Vornollo.5182)

in Thief

Posted by: Topher.5631

Topher.5631

Pretty helpful video. Good editing. Here are some things that I use for my d/p set that I think is super useful.

1) Throw down smoke field with pistol 5, then blast it with blinding powder or Shortbow
2. This is really useful when pushing far on maps like forest, or stealthing a downed ally
so you can go in for the res.

2) If you are being chased, use the pistol 5 Heartseeker combo to stealth, then run back
the way you came. This throws the enemy off and usually results in a free getaway

3) Do NOT use steal at the beginning of a fight. It has too much utility during combat.
You use it to restore endurance (if you are running Daredevil). This can’t be done if
your endurance is full at the beginning of combat. It also heals you, which, again,
won’t help at the beginning of combat. It applies poison to reduce healing, and also
can interrupt an important cast.

4) Time steal after a dodge or invuln. Don’t waste it.

5) Know when you are about to lose. Don’t die for no reason. If you stealth up while
appearing to run away (and get a heal off maybe) then you can steal + backstab the
target if they are low. Don’t try that if you can’t guarantee the kill.

6) Know the Shadowstep locations. Nothing more irritating than a “No valid path”
argument when your life depends on a valid path.

If you can’t beat it, it is, needless to say, OP
Looking for a team? Start here! https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Great vid. I’ll probably start linking this over the Coloxus vid from 2013 I’ve been using to show newer players useful thief combos.

However, if you’re open to some friendly criticism, here’s what I would suggest, should you ever choose to do other similar videos:

• Consider making a separate video for sPvP video if you want to keep a short video duration while maximizing usefulness. Some of the combos here are great, but are not really useful in sPvP (at least with the current meta).
  • A lot of stomp/revive combos were missing here, but considering the number of those, this could make it’s own video. I would say that Shadowstep stomping, however, is important enough to include even in a video such as this.

Anyways, great job and thanks for sharing this.

in Thief

Posted by: Saku Joe.2857

Saku Joe.2857

That’s how you burst from 3.3K range https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weDjA4fQGSI

Congratz Anet cunts, u finally made me uninstall your S H I T.