[Video] "Slayer" - Ultimate WvW D/P

in Thief

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

Slight change to build; just mixed in a few Berserker pieces with for more lethality. I concluded that most of my survivability comes from my traits and abilities, rather than my stats.

Now I have just enough Toughness to survive surprise butt-sex, and enough lethality to deliver surprise butt-sex.

in Thief

Posted by: cloudysan.4397

cloudysan.4397

Lovely! I generally love D/P but prefer D/D myself. Good to see some D/P people!

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

Bump for publicity!

in Thief

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Super talented. You played this amazing well.

Why the switch to SoR?

in Thief

Posted by: ubtri.7092

ubtri.7092

I already gave the video a thumbs up earlier tonight (I subscribed a while ago.) As I said, it’s very educational :-)

Thanks!

in Thief

Posted by: Revenant.5498

Revenant.5498

Impressive, Any tips for using the build?

Arthur – Guardian
Abelia – Necromancer
Revenant – Thief

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

Super talented. You played this amazing well.

Why the switch to SoR?

Wanted to be in Tier 1, and I was somewhat familiar with the residents of SoR after two weeks of engagement.

in Thief

Posted by: LoudBlender.9603

LoudBlender.9603

Very impressive video. What is even more impressive is that you play like that with a pointing stick instead of a mouse.

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

Bump for extra publicity!

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

surprise butt secks is the #1 cause of losing battles in wvw. Glad you made it tops priority to resist it with toughness and health

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Yuujin.1067

Yuujin.1067

Make an outtakes reel of you dying.

in Thief

Posted by: Shirts.3275

Shirts.3275

The music in your vid’s so nice. Kids On The Slope and Baccano ^-^b

[RIOT]Shirts
Thief/Warrior/Engineer
http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in Thief

Posted by: brunohstein.9038

brunohstein.9038

Nice video, really impressive.

Have you tried this spec outside WvW? Is it viable for PvP or Dungeons?

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Umm why no shadow shot to close the gap? Its almost like your struggling to try and finish someone off because they are escaping and you heartseeker to catch up. I know your trying to land backstabs but you could maintain higher uptime if you just used shadow shot if they are melee then pop black powder.

Also precast steal black powder is good. You also have s/d as your other set but never use it infiltrator strike would save all the black powder heartseeker spam and allow you to kill some of these people much faster.

Its ok I guess I think alot of those kills came from people that haven’t faced d/p much in WvW

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

Posted by: Battou.7832

Battou.7832

Probably because of that annoying kitten root that shadow shot has that makes it a poor choice as a gap closer. If they removed this 1 second root I would probably run D/P more often.

Thief Scoundrel “Hraffen”
[RET] of Fort Aspenwood

in Thief

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

Great build.

Not trying to sound elite here but you’re not playing it to it’s full potential. S/D + D/P can be played completely different with pretty much the same traits u’re using, but much much more effective in WvW 1vsX ganking scenarios.

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

You got the skills to pay the bills! I saw from your youtube comments that you use the nib from a thinkpad as your mouse? Wow that must be difficult, so extra kudos.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

Umm why no shadow shot to close the gap? Its almost like your struggling to try and finish someone off because they are escaping and you heartseeker to catch up. I know your trying to land backstabs but you could maintain higher uptime if you just used shadow shot if they are melee then pop black powder.

Also precast steal black powder is good. You also have s/d as your other set but never use it infiltrator strike would save all the black powder heartseeker spam and allow you to kill some of these people much faster.

Its ok I guess I think alot of those kills came from people that haven’t faced d/p much in WvW

If Shadow Shot misses, the Blink does not execute. Heartseeker at least brings me closer to my target regardless of whether I miss or not. Not to mention that root.

I treat Shadow Shot as a last resort – to knock off that last 1% of health when I’m crippled and frozen.

I agree, I need to use Blinks and Black Powder together. I’m a bit too addicted to Blink Backstabs.

I normally use a lot more S/D – the video was intended to demonstrate D/P’s power.

in Thief

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

Why did you made a video, with a thief, in world vs world?

Why don’t you make a video playing Spvp?

Anyway I’m playing in JQ, wanna try this against my condition necro? We can make a nice video,

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Thief

Posted by: nahj.2870

nahj.2870

In your post on reddit, I noticed that you mentioned switching back to full berserker gear. Are you still able to more or less perform the same role in zerg vs. zerg fighting that you have in this video due to your traits/utilities, or is it simply too risky with the further drop in toughness?

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

In your post on reddit, I noticed that you mentioned switching back to full berserker gear. Are you still able to more or less perform the same role in zerg vs. zerg fighting that you have in this video due to your traits/utilities, or is it simply too risky with the further drop in toughness?

There has been no noticeable change in my survivability after dropping Toughness.

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

Why did you made a video, with a thief, in world vs world?

Why don’t you make a video playing Spvp?

Anyway I’m playing in JQ, wanna try this against my condition necro? We can make a nice video,

It’s too late for me to sPvP, I am addicted to WvW.

in Thief

Posted by: Dimittri.3245

Dimittri.3245

Nice playstyle!

~Sanctum of Rall~

in Thief

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

Slight change to build; just mixed in a few Berserker pieces with for more lethality. I concluded that most of my survivability comes from my traits and abilities, rather than my stats.

Now I have just enough Toughness to survive surprise butt-sex, and enough lethality to deliver surprise butt-sex.

I think I just fought you. Did you really run 4/5 times? I guess this build is good for that.

in Thief

Posted by: Aquin.3192

Aquin.3192

Um… does not one else see the problem here?

Does it really make sense for heartseeker to hit the player and not give reveal?

They really should adjust that to limit this nonsense.

Ackwin R53 Thief – Evading like a boss!

twitch.tv/hotjoinhero

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Um… does not one else see the problem here?

Does it really make sense for heartseeker to hit the player and not give reveal?

They really should adjust that to limit this nonsense.

Leap finish through a field applies the effect. Leap through a smoke field applies stealth, would be stupid if every leap ability through a smoke field applied revealed, since it would just ruin the combo, since there would be no stealth and thus smoke field with leap finishers would be useless.

Loved the video, dagger/pistol will be the new backstab build if the current one ever gets nerfed, and since it is more tanky with more stealth ppl will cry if it becomes the new cookie build.

in Thief

Posted by: Dairuin.5602

Dairuin.5602

Interesting troll playstyle, it’s fun to watch and I’m sure fun as heck to play. You’re basically doing what D/D eles are so good at doing… harass, escape, and gets some kills now and again. As for helping the war effort I’m not convinced however, DPS shortbow builds are just so strong for support in the majority of WvW encounters that focus around actual objectives.

in Thief

Posted by: Dairuin.5602

Dairuin.5602

Loved the video, dagger/pistol will be the new backstab build if the current one ever gets nerfed, and since it is more tanky with more stealth ppl will cry if it becomes the new cookie build.

In competitive tPvP it has already replaced D/D as the backstab build of choice. It doesn’t have quite the frontloaded damage of the ol’ C&D/Steal/BS combo but it’s close, and offers much more versatility and survivability.

(edited by Dairuin.5602)

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

Good times fighting you. That build is hard to counter.

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I’d use Full Valkyrie + the new Baalthazar Jewelry.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I think d/p as far as WvW goes is kind of along the lines of P/D if you see a D/p thief just leave the fight.

I dueled a D/P thief last night and it is more annoying than anything. I pop thieves guild he would stay in stealth until they were gone annoying. So if all you have to do is pop thieves guild to get rid of one just go do something else. Then just leave the area if they want to chase you down they are gonna have to come out of stealth and or blow alot of initiative.

I did find though that P/P will wreck shop on a D/P thief I was just messing around since I am P/D condi but when I swapped to P/P just to see how it works against it, I noticed it really throws them off and when they go in stealth you wait about 1-2 secs and pop your very own black powder shot and it totally jacks up their opening from stealth definitely the backstab misses rofl. Then when they try to stealth headshot. If your running a p/p build with high damage rolls this over. Caltrops on your position to help secure the kill.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

Iohanna.4863

I did find though that P/P will wreck shop on a D/P thief I was just messing around since I am P/D condi but when I swapped to P/P just to see how it works against it, I noticed it really throws them off and when they go in stealth you wait about 1-2 secs and pop your very own black powder shot and it totally jacks up their opening from stealth definitely the backstab misses rofl. Then when they try to stealth headshot. If your running a p/p build with high damage rolls this over. Caltrops on your position to help secure the kill.

I’ll have to caution against this recommendation. This may work well if you’re in a group against a lone D/P Thief, but it also makes you a sitting duck against more experienced D/P Thieves. Black Powder won’t protect you because good D/P Thieves are very familiar with its radius – they’ll stab you from outside the radius. You must depend on your allies to protect you when you go down.

Leave the P/P work to Phantasmal Duelists. I flee from any group that carries a burst Phantasm Mesmer.

PS: Be careful with Thieves guild as well; NPCs are good anchor points for unleashing a Dagger Storm.

in Thief

Posted by: LoudBlender.9603

LoudBlender.9603

After watching your videos of D/P gameplay, I was inspired. I tried out the build that you showcased and was blow away by how fun it is to play. I was able to disrupt the enemy zerg for extremely long periods of time and win 3v1 situations on multiple occasions. I’m definitely going to finish gearing out for this build as I am a new 80 Thief.