Warrior help

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

I’m currently running 10/30/30 d/d&SB and earlier today I encountered a warrior I just could not beat in wvw. If I managed to get a successful burst I would only deal a little more than 1/2 of her hp in damage (she was taking 8k+ BS). Afterwards she would just swap to sword, kite away while her health regened to an acceptable amount.

Afterwards she would reengage me but what always would get me is a bolas or a stun. As soon as one of those hit me (after I used SS) she would 100blades me followed by some other move for something along the lines of 22k damage. I’ve only got 16k hp.

how do I fight this kind of warrior as d/d?

notes:
~16k hp
1370ish toughness
blind on stealth
108% crit dmg with food.

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

I usually roll with Infiltrator’s Signet along my utilities, really helps catching up with someone or escaping, + the ability to perform “pre-cast CnD>”Steal">BS" 2 times is really good for D/D. The most important thing when fighting warriors is keeping constant pressure while also performing great positioning, be sure to disable melee assistance, it makes a huge difference to D/D gameplay. When melee is difficult switch to SB and keep the pressure up with AA and gas field for poison, a warrior running a build like that has poor condition removal if you successfully kite him, making him aggressively blowing mobility skills to catch you would be his undoing.

Personally I grew tired of SA builds in WvW, after rolling 25/30/0/0/15 a lot lately, and I completely love the playstyle and I’m able to keep good pressure on even the tankiest of targets. The lethal damage, the quick gameplay filled of adrenaline, I love it.

And seing numbers like these on 2 downed uplevels and 1 lvl 80 lying around in my poison field just makes me smile, it makes me feel love !

Attachments:

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

8K Backstabs are actually alot, and easier to land than warrior bursts. As a thief, I think that you are one of the classes that should have the least amount of problems with a warrior disengaging as the Thief is the king of that.

Seems like you need more mobility on your thief if that is a problem. And if bolas or stuns are what’s screwing you again you probably could use moves like shadowstep, having more evades, etc.

As a warrior main, I can tell you that having the ability be very evasive, having high incombat mobility really messes with a warrior. If you really want to mess with a warrior Daze is probably one of your best options too. Blinds work effectively as well, and make sure to have some poison to prevent the warrior from regenning highly between bursts.

Basilisk Venom traited with cooldown is also highly useful. And with that you can use Lyssa runes to get Aegis and Protection which helps act as a buffer against burst. Overall you just have to be patient in your approach and slowly wittle him down with repeated bursts. Healing Signet can’t heal the damage very well if you put decent pressure on the warrior.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

If you get bola’ed, ether shortbow 5 to get away. You can try to go for a cnd when they approach then shortbow 5, but thats 12 initiative. Its far more effective to blinding powder then port. Or use shortbow 3 when they burst you. Save your stunbreak for when they stun you. Use the stolen ability to reflect arrow shots of longbow. Avoid using the stolen ability when they are out of their ranged set or are not cc’ed because you are vulnerable when using it. Be patient with your backstabs as a d/d. Don’t be afraid to cnd multiple times; you should be able to afford it. Try to save your ports after you go into stealth. It maximizes move distance travel time while in stealth and is very powerful because it makes you more unpredictable.

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

i could catch a warrior…in the short distance (3k or under range) but why chase? if he ran to get out of combat…. thats a win in my book. have i escaped? yes! have i felt good about it? no. idk what everyone hates about that when thieves do it. ITS WHAT THEY DO! lol ….just means they didnt have what it takes to take u down. thats a GOOD thing. stop roaming solo in a 150+ enemy zone.

back to the warrior thing tho…… patience and dodges. need 2 stun breaks/ports to get you out of stuns/immobs. so evades+2 stunbreaks/ports.

blinding powder (offfensive and defensive)
shadowstep(offensive and defensive)
infil signet (same as above)
withdraw(gives u room and breaks immob plus best heal per second)
Thieves Guild (dont feel corny for using this, thieves come up short in every category except 1)

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

probably just another tank with HS and adrenal heal… just don’t bother

if you really really wanna kill him, use d/p or s/p wvw build, blinds work too good on warriors

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I’m currently running 10/30/30 d/d&SB and earlier today I encountered a warrior I just could not beat in wvw. If I managed to get a successful burst I would only deal a little more than 1/2 of her hp in damage (she was taking 8k+ BS). Afterwards she would just swap to sword, kite away while her health regened to an acceptable amount.

Afterwards she would reengage me but what always would get me is a bolas or a stun. As soon as one of those hit me (after I used SS) she would 100blades me followed by some other move for something along the lines of 22k damage. I’ve only got 16k hp.

how do I fight this kind of warrior as d/d?

notes:
~16k hp
1370ish toughness
blind on stealth
108% crit dmg with food.

Warriors with the right build are amazing at disengaging from a fight. Your best bet is to wait until the war is low hp before using basilisk and using in in a stealth -> basilisk -> CnD the split second stealth drops -> backstab. Also, if you anticipate that the war might run to heal, use dancing dagger early to have the cripple up.

For dealing with stuns, you really have to be good at reading the animations of them and dodging them. If the war is using bolas, then it’s definitely going to be a tough fight unless you’re using Withdraw.

When you get caught in a stun, use Black Powder to blind unless they go into hundred blades, in which case you’ll want to pop your stunbreak.

The fight is tough, but the more stuns you can dodge or blind, the higher your chance at winning is. However, I’d recommend just disengaging instead of fighting if it’s not really crucial to kill them since dealing with them running off to heal is such a pain, lol.

edit Oh yea, I forgot to mention, but Yishis has a very good vid of a fight against a war in WvW with a D/D. You may want to check out the vid as he gives good commentary to explain his actions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEEYhovtwBo

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Go for D/P and/or 10/30/0/0/30 if you want to chase. D/D will not be able to catch up a warrior traited for roaming and disengaging (in most cases). 30 in Shadow Arts is mostly for your own sustainability and disengaging, it hardly is optimal to chase others. Infiltrator’s signet might be able to do it but meh, the problem is not having enough initiative to use HS spam and lacking enough skills to chase/immob.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

Here is a cool trick I found when trying to deal damage to warriors (especially ones with a ton of HP/Regen). Aside from opening with BS like those mentioned before me. Steal from the warrior but do not use the Whrilwind ability right away. Wait for about 25-30 seconds and then Blackpowder > HS >BS. Then do another Blackpowder and use whirlwind in it. This will send blinds in an aoe around you and deal good damage to the warrior. Once that WW is over steal > Blackpowder > WW again! If the warrior is a noob then he will stand in BP, and if not he has to run. If he runs chase his kitten down with WW. Then finish with a couple HS and be accused of HS spamming lol.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Here is a cool trick I found when trying to deal damage to warriors (especially ones with a ton of HP/Regen). Aside from opening with BS like those mentioned before me. Steal from the warrior but do not use the Whrilwind ability right away. Wait for about 25-30 seconds and then Blackpowder > HS >BS. Then do another Blackpowder and use whirlwind in it. This will send blinds in an aoe around you and deal good damage to the warrior. Once that WW is over steal > Blackpowder > WW again! If the warrior is a noob then he will stand in BP, and if not he has to run. If he runs chase his kitten down with WW. Then finish with a couple HS and be accused of HS spamming lol.

OP is D/D. However, you could potentially swap a utility out for Smoke Screen if you are about to engage a war maybe?

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

OP is D/D. However, you could potentially swap a utility out for Smoke Screen if you are about to engage a war maybe?

Crap forgot the OP was D/D. In that instance you’d have to rely on Smoke Screen, or Blinding Powder. The double steal trick for WW spamming would still work, it would just be different without the Blackpowder. That’s why I love running D/P for blinds. It allows for different utility skills.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

I wouldn’t give up blinding powder for smoke screen personally. Just use the warrior steal ability when he is in his longbow. The steal skill will protect you naturally. If you see him start to use combustive shot, interrupt it with steal to prevent condi clear if you have slight of hand.

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Can you give us a direct link to your build? That tends to be the easiest way for us to evaluate and solve your problems.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Warrior help

in Thief

Posted by: Sparda.9750

Sparda.9750

i find a lot of problem fighting wars.. no errors’ windows.. he can blow me up easily if i wrong a dodge on bull rush.. but duoble swords wars are another big problem.. i should learn how fight em.. but it s always tough.. and, in the most of cases, they run away