What is the thief roll in wvw?

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

after the patch and the qq regarding nerfing s/d or s/p i ask myself and you all what do you think is our roll in wvw regarding group fight and not as solo roamers
are other professions better than us or we do have a place in wvw

i am paying mostly in groups (guild in primetime)

here is short video suggesting few answers but i would like to hear your opinions

in Thief

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Role? Pick a role. There can be several.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

messiah.1908

thanks for your insight

so i guess all agree we dont have any roll in group fight beside roaming in wvw

in Thief

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

You can’t have a role in wvw because with 10k hp you might get one shooted by a little AoE. You know what to roll? Roll a warrior and your problems will be gone.

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

It’s role, and you can spec to roam, run with Zerg, do havocs etc. pick one.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Thief roll is to troll. If that can even be counted as a roll.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Kamikazi.5380

Kamikazi.5380

You can’t have a role in wvw because with 10k hp you might get one shooted by a little AoE. You know what to roll? Roll a warrior and your problems will be gone.

No intelligent Thief runs with 10k health in WvW, 15k minimum.

OP a Thief’s roll is usually a roamer and scout. Being the most mobile and slippery class in the game, Thieves can easily scout and relay information to the commander. If you roll in with a zerg, make sure you have shortbow as you can easily tag a lot of enemies with AoE as well as having the fastest and cheapest blast finisher in the game, SB #2, when your zerg needs to stack fields

in Thief

Posted by: Galsia.4102

Galsia.4102

Thief | Warrior | Engineer
Galsia | Jäshin | Çyndelle
[KK] – Henge of Denravi

in Thief

messiah.1908

lately group prefer the heavies to do the blast finisher as you get 5-10 guardian+warrior in 20 man group
while using SB clusterbomb if i want it to act fast i need to be in the face of my enemies as if i hit it from afar its slow movement and basically power necro can do more aoe dmg than thief
so the only roll we have is scout which warrior with same mobility and better burst can do it so we left with solo roaming which also warrior can do it better

i wish they give a thief some group roll which benefit the group in some way beside yelling to the commander there is enemy group coming from the bridge …

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

For the zerg: I use SB blast finisher on fields when my commander tells me to. When dpsing I dump poison fields and then cluster bomb them to make area weakness. I can kill stragglers and reinforcements

Outside the Zerg: on reset i flip camps and kill yaks. I can kill a yak guarded by 3 PCs easily. No yaks live on any map i’m on. Kill other roamers as well and call out zergs. I scout. Solo flip camps. Run with a guild havok group and cause all kinds of trouble. Sneak around the back of towers and put up guild catapults and knock down walls. Essentially try and freak out other server’s zergs and get them to run around

in Thief

Posted by: Meridian.8730

Meridian.8730

Thief roll = good snack for warriors, necros and guardians. MMmmm.

in Thief

messiah.1908

:D sometime i feel like it

in Thief

Posted by: VladR.9827

VladR.9827

guild raids: front line fields blasting (that includes aoe dmg, aoe healing, aoe blind, aoe weakness, aoe poison, etc), back line harassment and picking up low hp targets, cripling, and slowing down by combat engagement tails of groups/runners etc
Like 80% of time you just use sb

(edited by VladR.9827)

in Thief

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

….thief’s roll? scout, heavy damage spike, aoe support, frontier fighter or roamer for camps and stuff.

personally i love thief in wvw because you are free to do pretty much everything and anything is possible, i once perma stealth ed in castle before other server took it and i just kept murdering people at top floor…and the other time my small group got ran over by a huge zerg train and i shadow stepped to the side at the last second and stealth ed with 50% and 6 condi on me, while everyone else died immediately including the op warriors.

and yea if you run zerg with guild pretty much what above said.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Thief

Posted by: VladR.9827

VladR.9827

not zerg – 20 men (25 at max) www roaming guild

in Thief

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

Thieves shouldn’t be charging in with the Warriors, unless you’re running S/D with lots of evades to keep yourself alive.

1) Supply runner. Fastest class=best supply runner
2) Small objective taker. Thieves can kill yaks, knock on keep doors to separate the enemy force, and flip supply camps.
3) Distraction/troll. I saw a Borlis Pass Thief distract a small zerg of Ehmry Bay (my server) for literally 10 minutes WHILE Stonemist was under attack. I had to go yell at the zerg to leave the troll alone. We lost SM castle just because of that kitten Thief.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

Your job is to drop people while not getting dropped, and getting stomps when they’re safe enough to get. This becomes harder the more enemies are involved, but that’s really all there is to it. The same goes for other professions, but it happens more quickly both positively and negatively with the Thief. Lots of people can scout or have high mobility, it’s not exclusive to the Thief profession.

(edited by Thorp.7982)

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

roll? a jelly donut? lol. the ROLE is to kill enemies in the back line, kill the weak. simple.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

messiah.1908

do you think other professions can do it better than us?

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

no i don’t think they can do that better than can thieves.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: epandrsn.5126

epandrsn.5126

I run Carrion/Apothecary and run a conditions build. 22k HP with bloodlust, decent condition damage and direct damage. Use D/D and P/D.

in Thief

Posted by: sierras.6297

sierras.6297

Thief roll = good snack for warriors, necros and guardians. MMmmm.

I don’t know about that, I can kill good warriors and necros pretty easily. A relatively skilled player is much more difficult to kill, as with any profession. I think the main problem is the skilled player to poor player ratio. Because of thieves relatively small middle group compared to other professions, many people believe them to be worse than they truly are.

The thief role I have found is not just scout, but very good when a Zerg takes on a Zerg. I just run around the enemy Zerg and slowly take out the rangers and eles siting in the back. With my build generating crits at 6-7k on LS/the final strike of sword 1, I can burst these guys down very quickly, then switch to my short bow and aoe their Zerg from behind, with a 4k crit on CB and 1.8k on the auto attack. I’ve found that most people want thieves to run a stealth build because they misconceive a thieves potential. I have run builds in which I stand in the front with p/p depending on ricochet, and having a full tank build. My favorite role as a thief is in havoc group. When played right, the DPS and shadow step of a thief can carry a havoc group. Leave the typical Zerg roles to the people willing to be bored and die. I like how I play, and it is effective enough. Just my two cents.

-Oscuro

Oscuro Sombra~lv. 80 Thief|Oscuro Uno~lv. 80 Necro|
Oscuro Tanque~lv. 80 Guardian|
[RaW] Kaineng

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I just run around killing NPCs, Dolyaks and Camps and either kill people who’re solo or pick-offable from small grps~ and generally ignore/avoid the gimmick troll stunlock warriors and perplexity spammers because they just waste my time and annoy me.

When I’m in a zerg I just shoot people down with shortbow aoes and quickly strike people down here and there with sword shadowstep. One of the best and most fun things for Thief in big group battles imo is running signet of malice and shadowstep into enemy zerg with daggerstorm going and shadowstep out when it ends or too many aoes take your HP low. A well placed daggerstorm can completely wreck a lot of people. You can also use steal and infiltrator signet shadowstep while spinning to keep positioning yourself around them if they keep moving away. If DS ends and my HP is still good I’ll just cluster bomb spam everyone around me. Probably not a good idea though if you have problems with lag in wvw. Malice does a desent job keeping you up (I still think it needs buffed though, so it can be half as good as warrior’s :P )

If you want to do supply stuff Shadow Trap makes running supplies much faster and you can spam swiftness on dolyaks with thrill of the crime. I have a lot of supply and build related perks going and arrow cart maxed because they’re just too much fun and our bow range sucks. :P Although as for Thieves being the fastest at those things, it’s not really true. Warriors, Ele and Rangers can cover a lot of ground, if not more. Though if the situation is right I can clear over 3600 range instantly with shadowsteps.

There’s plenty more but I don’t really like going into too much detail with anything though on forums because they have a knack of nerfing the most random things that work completely fine.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)