What level do we really bloom?

in Thief

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

I’m just curious.
I’m level 42 currently, and I seem to get my kitten handed to me more often than I’d like by anything with more than 2 mobs.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

It’d help to know what build you’re using.

in Thief

Posted by: Starbird.4029

Starbird.4029

Thieves are really not a fantastic class to level as. They really benefit from having an already max main, not only because you can feed it gold and mats for crafting, but because playing a thief can actually be very tiring.

Shortbow is my personal favourite leveling tool and is insanely powerful with heavy condition damage. D/D is decent, but feels slower and weaker than SB (even in melee!). P/anything is gimpy, and P/P sucks.

in Thief

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

Sorry, I’m running D/D and my current build is 17/0/0/0/15 with 6 and 4 being my major traits.

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

A very powerful way to level with a Thief is to either use a Shortbow as Starbird suggested, or go D/D like you are and focus on Condition Damage with Deadly Arts and Signet of Malice and Caltrops.
Spamming Death Blossom will then give massive AoE damage and healing, and Caltrops does basically the same.
Best of all it’s Condition Damage, so it can be used to kill enemies far higher level than yourself by ignoring Glancing Blows.
I’d say Shortbow does the same but better, especially since Choking Gas will trigger massive healing every second just like Caltrops, and combined with Deadly Arts you can easily spread massive amounts of AoE Weakness.
You can also then take advantage of the huge amount of AoE Cripple provided by Caltrops to kite enemies.
Shortbow is hands down the best way to level, but D/D used this way is good as well and you can still use both anyway.
Carrion would be the most preferable equipment type.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Thief

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

As soon as you get a sword and a pistol. Spam black powder and autoattack everything to death. All you really need to dominate most of open world pve.

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

I’d have a hard time recommending S/P for leveling. You do garbage damage since all Initiative is reserved for simply keeping you alive, and ranged enemies will just tear through you anyway.
The direct damage also means you have to fight enemies close to your own level, which die too easily to warrant building around keeping them Blinded at all times.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Considering my thief is a sylvari I think she bloomed from the get go.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: ZenonSeth.5739

ZenonSeth.5739

I went to a zone with lvl 45 mobs, being lvl 50 myself, and I was outperforming an Engineer there who was lvl 51. I know this because he saw me kill stuff faster than him, and asked me what level I was. We did some tests and I was doing more single-target damage.

I can’t really tell you if that’s blooming because the engineer prof. suffers from its own problems, but at least that was better damage than them (and I already have a 80 engi, i’m fairly certain single target damage is higher on my thief right now)

I use, and have used for majority of the time, a D/P combination. Single target, I attack with #3, it can keep slower attacking enemies blind, and just use dagger auto which has higher dps (I think) than sword, albeit it being only 1 target. Most enemies my level go down in under 20 seconds. Heartseeker is… slow, but its good for one thing. If you’re low on initiative, and the enemy is <50%, dodge away from their attacks and then jump right back in with a heartseeker. With proper traits in Acrobatics (as I have) you can do this 3 times in a row.

Are ye laughin’ yet?

in Thief

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

At your level, go 0/0/0/20/10 and you won’t regret it.

Get Caltrops on dodge, might on dodge, and if you are getting beat up too much, take assassin’s reward for more healing. You get lots of dodges, and your dodges become both attacks and might buffs. The might on dodge gives you the power and condition damage you are missing from putting traits into the strength line. You will clean up, I love it.

in Thief

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I strongly suggest going condition for leveling like many of the others. It was dreadful leveling as a thief because the damage is so low, the likelyhood of attacking more than one opponent at a time is high, and the heal on hit stuff doesn’t work at all. Just go with withdraw for your heal, and focus on the condition damage gear and get the caltrop trait. You’ll have more fun and you will level faster.