What position are thieves currently in?

in Thief

Posted by: Sev.2351

Sev.2351

I’ve been out of the game for a couple years. Thief is probably my favorite class aside from Elementalist. One of the big reasons i quit playing was because no one wanted me in a group. They found thieves added no value to groups and therefor, had no place.

Is that still the case? Or can I finally enjoy all content with my thief? Any builds I should be looking at? I see daredevil is new, but when I look at the forum I don’t even see a single mention of it lol. Any information is helpful as I can find a single google search to find out what I want to know!

Thanks

in Thief

Posted by: Warrost.4895

Warrost.4895

I’ve been out of the game for a couple years. Thief is probably my favorite class aside from Elementalist. One of the big reasons i quit playing was because no one wanted me in a group. They found thieves added no value to groups and therefor, had no place.

Is that still the case? Or can I finally enjoy all content with my thief? Any builds I should be looking at? I see daredevil is new, but when I look at the forum I don’t even see a single mention of it lol. Any information is helpful as I can find a single google search to find out what I want to know!

Thanks

Run RUUUUUN! Thief is bad and Anet hates it!

No really I like thief overall.
It is in good place literally everywhere.
I don’t play pvp myself, but a few of my friends told me they dislike Anet’s treatment in pvp for thief, which is basically “Thief is capable of 1v1? NERF IT!”.

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

Thief has several viable builds in PvP.

D/P is still the best and most desired with pvpteams but Staff and Condi has its uses too.

In PVE, Thief DPS is one of the best for Raids right now so that is awesome! Thief in Fractals is fine too.

WvW, Thief is god. Nuff said.

in Thief

Posted by: Warrost.4895

Warrost.4895

Thief has several viable builds in PvP.

D/P is still the best and most desired with pvpteams but Staff and Condi has its uses too.

In PVE, Thief DPS is one of the best for Raids right now so that is awesome! Thief in Fractals is fine too.

WvW, Thief is god. Nuff said.

Like I said, can’t really talk about pvp here, but I heard this bound nerf was a bit unnecessary.

in Thief

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

It’s been good everywhere since 2012, still is right now.

Stella Truth Seeker

in Thief

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Best condi dps on pretty much any raid boss that condi is preferred and very strong power dps on most raid bosses all while being pretty easy to play and brings great group break bar power in a raid setting.

Amazing in fractals for with team break bar power top tier damage and amazing self sustain power or condi with multiple viable builds that will push out above average dps. Plus its great at skipping very pug friendly and has great pug carry potential granted you know the mechs and are potted up all while being pretty easy to play in a fractal setting.

Open world pve can pretty much do whatever but its easily the quickest class in terms of getting around and again amazing self sustain only down side being in the lowest hp pol category which can easily be fixed through gear.

Spvp has multiple builds both power and condi with D/P dash daredevil being it’s strongest. While WvW thieves are known for roaming again multiple builds and ofc the ability to essentially reset or ditch a fight if things get to hectic. They also have zerg builds That involve staff and bound dodge bombing as well as shortbow choking gas spam with Impacting Disruption.

Spvp and Wvw imo are where things become more difficult in terms of playing on thief as you start using initiative outside of a set combo and it’s fairly easy to get blown up if you don’t have the right mind set and aren’t quick on escapes. I would say its moderate between hard.

Thief is possibly in the best shape it’s ever been in every single weapon set is seeing usage in various game modes except for I think sword pistol I personally don’t see that used someone could correct me about that though.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I have been using s/p on thief in WvW. I see more doing the same. It works very well in both power and hybrid and can lay on some serious hurt if PI and Pressure Strike both traited.

Most prefer using it in pure power however. The recent tweaks to sword make it much more competitive , especially if ACRO traited and s/x is one of the sets that can do very well without taking DrD.

D/D power is not played as extensively as it once was due to all the AOE and passives that can kick in and thrwart a backstab but I see potential for a comeback with DE spec.

in Thief

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Good in PvE solo and dungeons. Not most wanted in raids but viable and welcome in Pugs. Fractals the same as raids.

Still fun to play and fast as ever.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Thief

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

WvW Thieves are incredibly scary. There’s no such thing as a meta for us in WvW. It is just slap something together, and go on a murderous rampage with your new build. Example? Perma-stealth ghost condi-core-thief. You can kill people without ever leaving stealth.

Structured PvP, same role as normal. You need to be more careful as the other specs will punish you for getting too close for too long.

Raids, people will make kitten up so they don’t have to take you. And they will blame you for a wipe even though you could very well be carrying them on your back.

Fractals… I’ve never had anyone comment about me playing thief outside of a few laughs when I zip around like a chipmunk on caffine.

(edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497)

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Playing mostly WvW, and thief is great. They have always been great for roaming, so nothing to say there. Pretty kitten good at holding camps solo too assuming you aren’t fighting too many opponents. The only place where I feel Thief is lacking is zerg running. They can support the zerg, just not directly with boons and stability ’n the other kitten commanders use Guardians for.

Anything works in PvE so… Run whatever you want.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

in what position? i don’t know about other thieves but I’m comfortably siting atm.

in Thief

Posted by: Jinx.4619

Jinx.4619

Just recently hop back in after a long break. It seems slightly better than when HoT was released in sPvP aspect.

WvW doesn’t really matter just pick a loner and murder him/her for fun.
Aviod zerg fight and you are good to go.