What stats do thieves need?

in Thief

Posted by: Moonfeather.3298

Moonfeather.3298

Hello, I am new to Guild Wars 2 and I was just wondering what stats thieves need. I currently have mainly power because that seemed the most appealing to melee, but should I worry about precision too? Is that like the “Agility” of GW? I plan on sticking with melee (dual daggers or a combination of swords and daggers) so should I just stick with power? Thanks

in Thief

Posted by: Spectre.8951

Spectre.8951

Personally I go for 30/30/10. It’s pretty much a glass cannon build but I feel it compliments the Thief play style.

in Thief

Moonfeather.3298

I have no clue what that means o_O haha, is that a talent tree system build, like in WoW?

in Thief

Posted by: Lamelas.6587

Lamelas.6587

He probably means for the traits. 30 Deadly Arts / 30 Critical Strikes / 10 not sure*
And to know what the stats “means” you can point the mouse to any stat in the Hero Panel and then you can see a brief description of what it really is.
But answering your question precision is what makes your character do more critical hits.

in Thief

Posted by: Spectre.8951

Spectre.8951

Basically when you get to level 10 (I believe) you start assigning traits which give you bonuses in various ‘stats’. You get Power (base damage), Precision (critical hit chance), Toughness (lowers damage), Vitality (base health) and Condition Damage (Your Damage over time abilities ie poison)

in Thief

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

Traits don’t really give a “meaningful” amount of stats, though. You pick traits for their traits, not for the stats their line might have. It just so happens that most weapons suit a trait line that also has suitable stats.

Anyway, for the OP: for D/D, S/P, D/P or even S/D, go with power/precis/vitality when levelling. It’s easy gear to come across and during the levelling stage of the game you’ll replace it often.

[TKG] Mollify

in Thief

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Don’t worry about the first set Deadly Arts. You do not want a glass cannon, it WILL NOT work in this game.

You want to focus on being able to constantly be on the move and outlasting your opponents by throwing obstacles in their way and confusing them. Your damage-dealing should come from your high precision and you want skills that give you more initiative and healing abilities.

User will be infracted for this post.

in Thief

Moonfeather.3298

Thanks for the help, it makes sense now that i hit 11 and can see the trait trees now

in Thief

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

I go 20 in power, 30 in precision, 20 in vit.

Gives more suriviability with great dps.

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

in Thief

Posted by: Quinci.5968

Quinci.5968

Power is damage and condition damage. Precision is critical chance. Vitality is health and healing power. Toughness is defense.

Which you need the most depends a lot on what type of build you are trying to create. I personally like to stay in melee most of the time, so I have my stats split between power, precision, and vitality, however I focus as much as I can on vitality. This makes it to where I can actually stay alive in melee range, and the healing power helps with the procs from Signet of Malice.

If you want a condition build you would want condition damage stuff and power, but precision would be less important. For a ranged build vitality and toughness would lower in importance. Etc.

There is a lot to take into account and it all depends on your build.