When I die its becuase of these things....

in Thief

Posted by: Skeletor.9360

Skeletor.9360

1.) Other skills not honoring stealth.

This goes for other players and NPC’s. The code is simply broke. As long as a skill was started before you stealthed the player or NPC’s started skill succeeds. Further you have used your stealth and are stunned and then become unstealthed. Please fix this horrible bug. Its on everything and really demonstrates some very poor design.

2.) Lag causing our special stealth strike ability to miss miss miss.

The range of the strike on the dagger is so short that in laggy situations you need to swing at where the guy might be. You can even bump into a target be stopped and use the skill…(point blank) miss. The simple answer is to extend the range just a little.

3.) Use your stealth causing strike on a shield user…BONK blocked…well OK he can stop the damage but really we lose our stealth? What can we do to stop his block? Yeah nothing…maybe a reason shield users are OP.

4.) You leave the circle of stealth and return….No more stealth for you.

5.) Do you really need to a.) Show a giant long lasting circle of where you stealthed. b.) provide no immunity to anything. c.) Make that circle less effective than blind. d.) Force people to stay in it or become unstealthed. This is about every kitten anti-stealth thing you could load up into this one skill. Just give us block! No-counter…in your face…make people waste moves block. Your priorities are off sir! Plus a couple super zooms away!

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

1. First half of this paragraph is intended as a counter to stealth (the conclusion that has been made over the last year worth of discussion on the subject), the second is completely incorrect and you may be referring to the visual bug I point out in #4 below.
  2. Never experienced this and I’m in Australia using Internet running on century old copper wiring. Not sure what you’re talking about.
  3. What are you talking about? This is the opposite of what happens, hitting a block or Aegis doesn’t trigger revealed and it’s the cause of much discussion about whether this should reveal or not.
  4. Bug (if you’re talking about what I think you are, you’re not very clear) you’re still in stealth, just lose the visual effect, check your status bar.
  5. All necessary for SR to be balanced. It’s already very powerful.
thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

(edited by Incurafy.6329)

in Thief

Posted by: Rissou.7213

Rissou.7213

Since while you are at it, I wanna share my own: When I die its because.

1. I fight more people than I can handle.

2. I Fight someone more skilled than me.

3. Last refuge.

4. My dedication to kill or die trying.

Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Last Refuge.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: xmtrcv.5236

xmtrcv.5236

Last Refuge. :( Never forget.

Damage Dolly
we all began as something else

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Oh yes, “Last Refuge”

I die far more through this skill, as it saved me. -.-

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Since while you are at it, I wanna share my own: When I die its because.

1. I fight more people than I can handle.

2. I Fight someone more skilled than me.

3. Last refuge.

4. My dedication to kill or die trying.

Lol my main reason for deaths is definitely No.4 haha.

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I mostly die because I use Shadow Refuge to try and rez someone.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Shadow refuge, knocked/pulled out, focused on by everyone and their mother

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

What are you talking about? This is the opposite of what happens, hitting a block or Aegis doesn’t trigger revealed and it’s the cause of much discussion about whether this should reveal or not.

You misread what he posted. He wasn’t striking from stealth, he as trying to use a stealth skill, like CnD, then was blocked. If CnD failed to deal damage, it won’t put you in stealth. Even then, this is not a bug.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Lanny.6987

Lanny.6987

When I kill a thief it’s because

0) He’s Skeletor

1) Other skills not honoring stealth.
I have been in 5-mans and good perma-stealth thiefs can avoid us as long as they want. The trick is using high-damage long cast or channel to get them on those few times they pop visible. Without this mechanic a thief wouldn’t just always get to start a fight to their advantage and always reset a fight to their advantage but could, in the right circumstances just never be brought down.

2) Lag.
Because, you know, I have secretly installed a tap into the ANet servers and have 4ms round-trip traces. Oh wait, that’s not right. No, lag gets everyone killed. Nothing to see here. (Pick any pure melee class with some long attacks. The fact that CnD is bread-and-butter to D/D doesn’t mean you need special treatment for lag.)

3) Use of blocks/shield/aegis to stop CnD.
I know right! I love this one. Back and forth fight. Thief is stealthing about every 4 seconds but I’ve got my secret weapon and… aegis BOOM! And the thief is dead. I love that!! I mean right?? insta-kill!!! Woo! Who doesn’t love the insta-kill when you block the one CnD out of the thirty that have been thrown. LOVE IT!!

4) Leaving the circle of stealth and return.
Really? You want to push a button and be insta-invis for 15 seconds? Really? That sounds fair. Now I never kill thieves this way. I prefer AE or perhaps to cast SR myself. See, I’ve got an 80 S/D thief (along with 5 other professions at 80 all of which have had to deal with thieves) so have some idea how annoying all the things above are on each side. Invis gives thieves first-in, last-out ability and in the hands of really good thieves it is definitely OP. These folks would probably end up being labeled OP on any profession they put their time into but to give them first-strike/reset is where invis gets broken. Most average thieves (I’m in that lot) it’s a fine mechanic.

+all on @Rissou’s answer

in Thief

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

If we take the thread’s premise at face value, then we may infer that removing or changing these causes of death will allow thieves to never die.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and speculate that guaranteed immortality isn’t what the developers have in mind for the Thief profession.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

When i die on thief, 99% of the time its because of last refugee.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: Aeden.5896

Aeden.5896

From the title I was sure the original post was going to be:

Last refuge.

(15 characters)

in Thief

Posted by: xell.7408

xell.7408

So…. no one gets outplayed?

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

So…. no one gets outplayed?

see my above post

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Rastaman.9015

Rastaman.9015

So im not the only one that dies because of that kitten ed last refuge. Nice to know im not alone.

The class master. I enjoy all of the professions.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

When I die, its because I got complacent.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

I actually do get most if not all my thief kills because they proc’d last refuge , since 9/10 times that’s approximately where they got downed so basically i just AA around that area to find myself a dead thief on the ground.

Though for me, I don’t remember the last time I died because of last refuge (more or less makes sense since I don’t use stealth offensively). It has saved me countless times though.

It pretty much depends on your build whether it will save or kill you. Though really I think it’s just easy to blame last refuge for your death, never mind that the chance is extremely high that you would’ve died even if it did not proc. Especially when we consider that 9/10 times, the thief already got dropped when they proc’d last refuge.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in Thief

Posted by: xell.7408

xell.7408

As of late, I’ve noticed last refuge as a pleasant surprise rather than having an adverse effect. I’m constantly aware of reveal, but last refuge can throw a kink in that timing. Like I said, it has helped me more than it has hurt me lately, but it has sold me out many times.

AE Blind when health lands below 25% might not be too bad of a trade off.

A skill you sort of “have” to take that can kill you as often or more than it can help you is no bueno.

Back on topic: I die to getting out played. Trying to stay that extra second for a stomp or fighting just a bit too long. I usually solo or small group, so it’s mainly getting outplayed or zerged down.

in Thief

Posted by: Issues.5789

Issues.5789

I love last refuge so much; it’s saved me countless of times. When you are stunned up the kitten or about to die; DONT DO ANYTHING. I know it’s hard; but try it and you’ll get it to work for you pretty much 95% of the time. As long as you’re watching your hp; you can always get it to proc for you in your benefit