Where's the Deadeye cover?

in Thief

Posted by: Captain Obvious.6951

Captain Obvious.6951

I haven’t played one yet but I watched some vids on Deadeye. Class stolen straight from SWTOR which I’m fine with, everyone copies.

But one of the benefits of being ‘immobile’ as a sniper was that you got cover.

So why isn’t the Deadeye getting this?

http://imgur.com/a/YcKvW

I’m thinking a lot of Deadeyes are gonna get rocked pretty hard in PvP the second they kneel down. Having a 50% cover and immunity to teleports seems like it would be immensely useful and almost required, as to not having kitten burn guardians tele to and burn your butt down in 2 seconds, or condi thieves stealing to you and plopping 20k condi dmg on you in 2 seconds.

in Thief

Posted by: Imperadordf.2687

Imperadordf.2687

Deadeye is a WvW class. Useless in 1v1, usable in sPvP, cancer in PvE.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

If we got a small cover wall it would probably just block line of sight for our own stuff.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If we got a small cover wall it would probably just block line of sight for our own stuff.

Norn deadeye, Asuran guardian in front to stop a DD from instakilling him, problem solved.

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I haven’t played one yet but I watched some vids on Deadeye. Class stolen straight from SWTOR which I’m fine with, everyone copies.

I’m thinking a lot of Deadeyes are gonna get rocked pretty hard in PvP the second they kneel down. Having a 50% cover and immunity to teleports seems like it would be immensely useful and almost required, as to not having kitten burn guardians tele to and burn your butt down in 2 seconds, or condi thieves stealing to you and plopping 20k condi dmg on you in 2 seconds.

the swtor sniper doesnt have the same high amount of stealth uptime, and mobility (shadowstep, withdraw, theotherwithdrawutility-icantremember, leap backwards on rifle #4). Furthermore, swtor and gw2 has different classes and gameplay mechanics, so its not accurate to compare the two.

All we need is more fine tuning based on the feedback ppl already been giving, then we on the right track.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Is that in a good way? Or a bad way?

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

In WvW, Deadeye destroys every living thing on it’s sight. It is good that way. But in 1v1, most classes would kick the kitten out of DE. In sPvP, you can do +1 pretty good. Squishy characters can’t stand a chance against a Deadeye they can’t kill in 5 seconds. In PvE, since the specialization has no AoE, DE can’t clear groups of mobs properly or in a limited time. I recommend using the spec with Pistol/Pistol or waiting for it to be buffed.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

In WvW, Deadeye destroys every living thing on it’s sight. It is good that way. But in 1v1, most classes would kick the kitten out of DE. In sPvP, you can do +1 pretty good. Squishy characters can’t stand a chance against a Deadeye they can’t kill in 5 seconds. In PvE, since the specialization has no AoE, DE can’t clear groups of mobs properly or in a limited time. I recommend using the spec with Pistol/Pistol or waiting for it to be buffed.

thats kitten, id beat any given Deadeye spec on daredevil warrior prolly also.
who ever can play Ele will do the job aswell. any condi kitten will do it.

the rifle is way to slow, u can go P/P but im just laughing at any P/P thief (yes its strong) i dont even attack them i just interupt them they blow them self up on p.impact.

deadeye is good at things but its far from destroying anything on sight daredevil outshines deadeye in WvW.

none the less i had bit of fun playing deadeye in the test but it doesnt give me the thief feeling.

in Thief

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Deadeye will never be a thing because its prime predator are daredevils, a way more OP spec.

Deadeye suffers from the fact most PoF specs won’t be able to cope with most HoT specs, especially daredevil since most PoF specs don’t have the defensive tools to survive.

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

thats kitten, id beat any given Deadeye spec on daredevil warrior prolly also.
who ever can play Ele will do the job aswell. any condi kitten will do it.

the rifle is way to slow, u can go P/P but im just laughing at any P/P thief (yes its strong) i dont even attack them i just interupt them they blow them self up on p.impact.

deadeye is good at things but its far from destroying anything on sight daredevil outshines deadeye in WvW.

none the less i had bit of fun playing deadeye in the test but it doesnt give me the thief feeling.

I respect that, but I must disagree. I know most Deadeye players can’t play the class probably right now – including me – but when you face a Deadeye and can’t kill him in 4-5 seconds, the class really shreds through everything. I’ve seen 109K Death’s Judgements.

But you are right about the predator part. Most classes can kill Deadeye in the blink of an eye right now. But we’ll see. I hope they do some work on the spec.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

in order to pull this number u need to do have the stacks up and run complete glass cannon build + might stacks.

i played deadeye had bit of fun with signet for power(forgot name im sorry) yes it hits hard but then i went on my orginal power thief put signet on also and i wreck just as hard as i did on deadeye + fact that i felt much better cus of survivability.

im sure deadeye has things it will shine at but any thief duo will wreck some mindless roamers deadeye wont be any better at it then any other thief in blob fight deadeye shots dont pierce i believe so sniping is mad hard when everything running around like fools and for roaming i personally think once u make mistake on deadeye ur gonna get ur face smashed cus of lack of mobility on the class

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Stolen from SW:ToR? Can’t say I agree with it as they play very different and have completely different mechanics.

Deadeye don’t use cover, they kneel to get a more stable shot from range. The SW:ToR sniper use cover as a defensive tool too. Deadeye relies on shadowsteps, evades and stealth to survive.

The way I played during the preview weekend was marking an enemy and only kneeling to deliver the killing blow (10-15k shots) at max malice stacks. You kneel either when your enemy are unaware, you got a good position and are safe or to drop a huge burst and get up again. It isn’t meant to be solely played kneeling. Use your mobility and stealth to disrupt and position yourself properly and you’ll be a true force to be reckoned with.

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

in order to pull this number u need to do have the stacks up and run complete glass cannon build + might stacks.

i played deadeye had bit of fun with signet for power(forgot name im sorry) yes it hits hard but then i went on my orginal power thief put signet on also and i wreck just as hard as i did on deadeye + fact that i felt much better cus of survivability.

im sure deadeye has things it will shine at but any thief duo will wreck some mindless roamers deadeye wont be any better at it then any other thief in blob fight deadeye shots dont pierce i believe so sniping is mad hard when everything running around like fools and for roaming i personally think once u make mistake on deadeye ur gonna get ur face smashed cus of lack of mobility on the class

That’s what I was talking about. If Deadeye can’t kill his enemies in a short time, he’s gonna get wrecked easily. Same with his enemy. If you can’t kill Deadeye in a short time, you’re gonna get DEATH’S JUDGEMENT MOTHERkittenER in your face.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

I’d wait a bit before declaring DE good or bad at any given role. Sure, we can definitevely say that it deals high damage, but it also has good CC skills, easy access to stealth, some techie stuff with chaining unblockable dazes and stuns with Mercy+stun trait, support through might sharing (you can almost instantly buff your whole group with 20 might with Improv, that’s not bad). It will take a bit of time to really figure out how to play the class to its full potential and whether or not it can truly compete.

in Thief

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Seriously, I see so many people mostly only bring up Death’s Judgment when they are talking about Deadeye damage yet they apparently completely ignore Three Round Burst. That is your bread and butter damage, even along with Double Tap. I’ve pulled an easy, little effort 8k-10k Double Tap in PvE vs groups of mobs and I’ve run a Sigil of Fire on the Rifle to get AoE damage out when I crit (which is often).

I’ve also put out pretty effortless 15k-20k Three Round Bursts on mobs, if they even survive that long. Mostly only saw those numbers on Veterans or Elites, got even higher on Champions (40k vs bounty Champions). Even when fighting packs of mobs I was able to individually wipe out enemies fast enough that the group would get cleared pretty quickly.

Even in PvP you can 1v1 pretty easily. I pretty consistently beat Plat ranked players in 1v1s with my Deadeye, its a single target burst Elite Spec, its pretty tailor made to blow up a single target and Thief in general has always had very good escape tools. I’m sure you guys are aware of Stealth, yes?

Really have no idea where the people on this forum are getting the idea that Deadeye is “weak”. It is absolutely strong, most of you are just doing it wrong.

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

Seriously, I see so many people mostly only bring up Death’s Judgment when they are talking about Deadeye damage yet they apparently completely ignore Three Round Burst. That is your bread and butter damage, even along with Double Tap. I’ve pulled an easy, little effort 8k-10k Double Tap in PvE vs groups of mobs and I’ve run a Sigil of Fire on the Rifle to get AoE damage out when I crit (which is often).

I’ve also put out pretty effortless 15k-20k Three Round Bursts on mobs, if they even survive that long. Mostly only saw those numbers on Veterans or Elites, got even higher on Champions (40k vs bounty Champions). Even when fighting packs of mobs I was able to individually wipe out enemies fast enough that the group would get cleared pretty quickly.

Even in PvP you can 1v1 pretty easily. I pretty consistently beat Plat ranked players in 1v1s with my Deadeye, its a single target burst Elite Spec, its pretty tailor made to blow up a single target and Thief in general has always had very good escape tools. I’m sure you guys are aware of Stealth, yes?

Really have no idea where the people on this forum are getting the idea that Deadeye is “weak”. It is absolutely strong, most of you are just doing it wrong.

No no I didn’t mean to say “Deadeye’s only damage source is DJ.” I was saying it’s damage is really good especially Death’s Judgement.

Deadeye is good but you mostly need to kneel or stop moving to do good damage. The spec’s damage is really good but mobility is what makes the class “weak” in 1v1’s. Otherwise DE has the most burst damage in PoF specializations.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

(edited by Imperadordf.2687)

in Thief

KryTiKaL.3125

Eh even in 1v1s I didn’t have an issue with mobility, or just getting away when it was required. Deadeye can pretty easily disengage and immediately open back up with high damage to wipe most anyone out. Primary thing to watch for is Reflects, which if you’re fighting a Scrapper you need to watch for 2 reflect abilities and their reveal pulse which can be cleansed easily with the Deadeye Elite skill. The Deadeye utility skills though I can say do maybe need some tuning to not be useless, Mercy has some use in PvE but really only as an alternative option to Infiltrator’s Signet/Shadowstep, but that would remove your ability to re-position in PvE somewhat after breaking CC.

I think people forget that Core Thief still had some good mobility, people have been spoiled immensely by Daredevil. Also while yeah Daredevil is still for sure going to be top in PvP, I’m not saying Deadeye will replace it, Deadeye will just be another option.

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

I don’t think I played enough DE to go in a discussion like this, but I still disagree with you about mobility. I am not saying “HURR DURR DEADEYE IS TRASH ARENANET STOP DOING EXPACS PLZ” but Deadeye still has some problems about malice regeneration and some extra mobility.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Captain Obvious.6951

I feel like you guys are commenting about SWTOR sniper, and didn’t even play it.

The videos I saw and the skills I saw them using are literally straight copies almost word for word from the SWTOR sniper lol.

ranged slow into 3 round burst into a powerful snipe, i mean yah it looked almost exactly like Sniper skills kitten . Once again I don’t care if they copy or not I was simply asking why the DE isn’t getting some kind of defensive ability while kneeling. Cause it appeared to me as if he is kneeling he’s going to get focused hard and everyone with a teleport/steal skill is going to save it just for him.

That’s why SWTOR gave sniper class cover. Nobody can teleport/leap (Marauder leap would be like Thief Steal) to the character while he is kneeling, and he gets a 50% cover bonus while sniping. It may sound OP at the start but in reality it’s not if you do it right.

Once again I didn’t play the class so maybe I could be missing something. I was just curious why they didn’t appear to give him any pro defensive skills while kneeling, for the con of being very stationary.

in Thief

Captain Obvious.6951

the swtor sniper doesnt have the same high amount of stealth uptime, and mobility (shadowstep, withdraw, theotherwithdrawutility-icantremember, leap backwards on rifle #4). Furthermore, swtor and gw2 has different classes and gameplay mechanics, so its not accurate to compare the two.

All we need is more fine tuning based on the feedback ppl already been giving, then we on the right track.

The games are a lot more similar than you could possibly even know.

The only major diffierences between this and SWTOR is that in GW2 you have less skills to use, and healers are put way more in check in GW2 which is why I’m even here to begin with. It’s not fun playing a 20 minute game in PvP and only 2 people die in an entire match at max level top tier games in PvP. And that’s why I quit SWTOR.

GW2 also seems much more focused on their PvP in the fluidity and skillsets. That being said though the games are VERY similar in actual mechanics.

That put aside I was just inquiring as to the benefits of kneeling as a Deadeye. If your only benefits are offensive it seems like the second you drop down and kneel you’re gonna have a Guardian popping his ranged pull on you instantly drawing you into a bunch of kitten traps every time.

in Thief

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

Ultimately, the “immobile whilst kneeling” mechanic is meant to offset the (on paper) increase in throughput on the rifle skills, as well as the range increase, when compared to when standing. In order to balance the upgrades to the skills provided by kneeling, the player has been made mostly immobile whilst kneeling. It’s highly likely, though, that a kneeling Deadeye will get quickly jumped on by the [insert total number of gap closing skills here] blinks, teleports, and shadowsteps that the different classes have.

At least, that’s the way I see the design decision. It is, however, a bit of a clunky-feeling implementation. Pressing 5 a second time to stand up feels odd and, while I’m sure that will pass as familiarity grows, I, personally, would like it if jump could also be used to exit kneel.

in Thief

Deadeye will never be a thing because its prime predator are daredevils, a way more OP spec.

Deadeye suffers from the fact most PoF specs won’t be able to cope with most HoT specs, especially daredevil since most PoF specs don’t have the defensive tools to survive.

I respect that, but I have to disagree here… Daredevils have gap closers, survivability in blinds, cleave, and short damage buffs. But they are thieves enhanced for melee in your face combat. Deadeyes are closer to home with core thieves.

If you do not get the jump on Deadeye, it will go either way for you initially with the advantage growing in DE’s favor. Especially given that Deadeye will most likely out run your damage in melee range and will certainly destroy you in range. Deadeye’s backstab WILL ONE-SHOT with some malice. and a Deadeye is more likely to make full use of all of the core thief trait lines than a Dare Devil will. Including Shadow Arts (marking someone stealths, they get 2 stealths in elite skill, Stealth stacking with D/P, damage reduction while stealthed, etc).

They don’t really have true predators, as they can turn a fight on it’s head with a few tricks.

(edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497)

in Thief

KryTiKaL.3125

I respect that, but I have to disagree here… Daredevils have gap closers, survivability in blinds, cleave, and short damage buffs. But they are thieves enhanced for melee in your face combat. Deadeyes are closer to home with core thieves.

If you do not get the jump on Deadeye, it will go either way for you initially with the advantage growing in DE’s favor. Especially given that Deadeye will most likely out run your damage in melee range and will certainly destroy you in range. Deadeye’s backstab WILL ONE-SHOT with some malice. and a Deadeye is more likely to make full use of all of the core thief trait lines than a Dare Devil will. Including Shadow Arts (marking someone stealths, they get 2 stealths in elite skill, Stealth stacking with D/P, damage reduction while stealthed, etc).

They don’t really have true predators, as they can turn a fight on it’s head with a few tricks.

Thank you. I’m not alone on this forum when it comes to saying the Deadeye really is not as bad as people say it is.

I had great success on the Deadeye when playing similarly and taking one Thief streamer as an example, Sindrenerr, I saw him play Deadeye with Shadow Arts and he was practically in melee range the entire time he was fighting people and had very poor positioning and did not use stealth adequately enough to cleanse conditions. It was very much player error which I think many people are not taking into account on their own behalf. Lack of humility tends to be a common problem sadly.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

you dont need cover when you 100% uptime stealth all you do is mark your target wait 7 second pop bali 1 shot your target lol

in Thief

Imperadordf.2687

you dont need cover when you 100% uptime stealth all you do is mark your target wait 7 second pop bali 1 shot your target lol

Almost everyone can kill you in 7 seconds actually…

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

Shadow Arts/Trickery/Deadeye is insanely good especially for WvW.

The amount of stealth uptime plus sustain from Shadow Rejuvenation makes it nigh impossible for an enemy to find you and pin you down. All they can do is runaway or die. xD

Just be sure to throw on some strength or scholar runes for maximum wrecking potential. Rest can be Marauder.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

Almost everyone can kill you in 7 seconds actually…

Well of course that true but deadeye will be next ghost thief in level of salt.

in Thief

Captain Obvious.6951

If you PvP at all in this game you’d know that you can die quite easily in 3 seconds or less.

This game has always been about blocking and dodging for survivability more than high hp/armor which leads to more skill based combat.

So while I was watching the videos of the new Deadeye class I was just thinking to myself, holy crap he’s giving up the ability to be an effective dodger, he can’t block attacks, and he’s gonna get slaughtered.

This is why SWTOR gave snipers cover. While ‘kneeling’ you have a chance to evade attacks from cover, and people cannot ‘leap’ or teleport to you. It’s a tradeoff. You can’t block/dodge, but you get cover and teleport immunities.

So I was just wondering why there isn’t anything like that for the Deadeye.

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

If you PvP at all in this game you’d know that you can die quite easily in 3 seconds or less.

This game has always been about blocking and dodging for survivability more than high hp/armor which leads to more skill based combat.

So while I was watching the videos of the new Deadeye class I was just thinking to myself, holy crap he’s giving up the ability to be an effective dodger, he can’t block attacks, and he’s gonna get slaughtered.

This is why SWTOR gave snipers cover. While ‘kneeling’ you have a chance to evade attacks from cover, and people cannot ‘leap’ or teleport to you. It’s a tradeoff. You can’t block/dodge, but you get cover and teleport immunities.

You can’t fight what you can’t see though… And considering Revealed is the only counter against Stealth(Unless you’re getting some lucky guesses in), staying out of sight of most opponents isn’t going to be that difficult with Deadeye’s new elite.

in Thief

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Deadeye provides a role for thieves in WvW zergs: pinsniping becomes much more potent.

I feel that the use of deadeye to defend structures is more likely than roaming though.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

in Thief

You must have never played core thief in PvP then. Core thief is all about mind games and clever positioning. You NEVER make it easy for someone to engage on you. This is the same with Deadeye. And that was before the days that Acrobatics returned half of your endurance after a dodge roll.

Sadly, Anet made stealth attacks clunky as hell by adding a cool down to the stealth-attack in thief’s weapon sets. So… if you miss suddenly you have to wait a second before you can attack again. Which is kitten.

(edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497)