Why am I dying...

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Soo….I took my thief out to WvW today. And partly to my shock and dismay..I’m dying in fights I should be winning. Why?!

I’m not the best thief, but I’m not terrible either. I can’t burst with my s/d, or hit anyone, I can’t stunbreak or condi cleanse in time before going down. And my gosh, rangers actually pose a threat now. Where did all this spams of condi come from that I never had trouble with before? I know that’s the meta, but I don’t think every person swapped overnight.

What? Did I just get a bad run, or am I going to have to pick up condi-dire P/D to get anywhere now?

Edit: My comment on rangers is not a jab at the class. I have had some really good fights with rangers, but they were very few of them. Rangers that carried a sword and were just as evasive as myself. Not a ranger that stands in one spot and rapid fires from a distance while his friend goes melee against me.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

And my gosh, rangers actually pose a threat now.

Report a bug! It must be a bug!

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

a lot of condi spam builds got a lot better with the update and most other classes got buffed sooo

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

…As if popular condi spam builds needed a reason to be even more cheese.

edit: I digress. WvW has always been about dirty fighting in my eyes, so I shouldn’t hate on these condi spam builds. I’m just frustrated how direct damage builds for thief didn’t get any kind of upgrades, when condi builds were already strong to begin with.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: AyuReady.3952

AyuReady.3952

You are dying because the current design of the thief is about as well thought out as a baby with aspergers trying to write a book.

daed gaem daed

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Get a dire set and get a taste of immortality and enjoy how everything will fall before thee, engineer and necro alike.

Afterall the game is balanced around going 1v3 if you are using condi builds, and that’s just fine. But dare not be strong in 1v1 with a power build, don’t you just dare !!!

Personally I stopped playing a while ago, not because thieves got nerfed, but because I don’t enjoy the current AoE spam, AI-clog, no-brain meta. Thieves are so fragile in sPvP that they get killed even without being the one the opponent tries to kill, lovely…

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: Dirven.3021

Dirven.3021

You’re dying because, believe it or not, there are people that outplay you le gasp.

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: Keras.9621

Keras.9621

You’re dying because, believe it or not, there are people that outplay you le gasp.

Sic’Em > 4 > 2. Outplayed.

(I’m kidding).

Sarah Keras — Elementalist.

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

…I now regret spending all my Badges of Honor on siege. Only gotta farm 500 more badges for a full set of dire armor.

-sigh-

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

What’s your build?

I would highly advise playing P/D dire. Not only will you be contributing to the cancerous condition meta, but you also won’t be learning some of the most important thief fundamentals: positioning, bursting, and disengaging. P/D dire is just too forgiving and too easy to play.

Second Child

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

What’s your build?

I would highly advise playing P/D dire. Not only will you be contributing to the cancerous condition meta, but you also won’t be learning some of the most important thief fundamentals: positioning, bursting, and disengaging. P/D dire is just too forgiving and too easy to play.

This is the build I use, just with a couple of changes since I last posted it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/WvW-Roaming-Havoc-Build/first#post4254302

I changed some of the sigils, and went back to 20606. But it’s mostly the same.

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

What’s your build?

This is the build I use, just with a couple of changes since I last posted it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/WvW-Roaming-Havoc-Build/first#post4254302

I changed some of the sigils, and went back to 20606. But it’s mostly the same.

So it looks like your problem is that you won’t be putting enough pressure on your enemies. For thieves, defense often comes from strong offense. If you put enough pressure on your enemies, they’ll be blowing defensive cd’s instead of dpsing you down.

I recommend swapping out Long Reach for Thrill of the Crime, and swapping out your runes for Pack or Strength. If you spend more time on S/D, 20606 should be fine, but if you find yourself mostly using D/P, consider 26600. I’d swap out Blinding Powder for Infiltrator’s Signet. You already have a ton of stealth from D/P, and IS can actually help you escape by targeting a far away mob and porting 900 units, on top of being a stunbreak.

You’re currently missing quite a bit of power, and your crit chance is on the low side, especially since you have no fury. Note that Pack runes will give you near permafury and basically permaswiftness in combat, so that could also help with your survivability.

Again, I highly advise AGAINST playing P/D dire. It’s too forgiving, and you never learn the thief fundamentals.

Second Child

(edited by mango.9267)

Why am I dying...

in Thief

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Forum Pro Tip -The title is not the post itself.

For the op, this might have something to do with it
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/S-D-no-longer-viable

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2